PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying concepts

Faeron
2010-10-10, 11:27 PM
I have a human fighter/ranger which i think is really awesome but i'm having trouble thinking of a personality/background/role playing concept anyone have any ideas?

HunterOfJello
2010-10-10, 11:32 PM
This is pretty much what the 3.5e PHB 2 is for.

Strawberries
A little more info maybe could help us. Like, what is the setting? Standard fantasy world or something different?

Also, who do you want him/her to be? A good or evil guy, for instance. Someone who's loyal to his(her) friends, or someone who only thinks about his own interest. There are hundred of thousands of concepts: help us narrow it down and we can help you flesh it out a bit. :smallwink:

Kaun
That is not a lot to play with.

Could we get some more info like race and base stats ect, even setting if you know it?

TheThan
2010-10-10, 11:34 PM
Make him a mountain man, A man of the wilderness, skilled in hunting, trapping, tracking and living off the land. The wilderness is a wild place, filled with wild animals and wilder people, one must be a skilled in combat to survive such a place.

Strawberries
2010-10-10, 11:41 PM
Make him a mountain man, A man of the wilderness, skilled in hunting, trapping, tracking and living off the land. The wilderness is a wild place, filled with wild animals and wilder people, one must be a skilled in combat to survive such a place.

Or, make her a city woman. :smallbiggrin: Started in the army, training as a soldier (hence, the fighter bit). Then something happened-hmm, let's see, orders she didn't want to take. Better yet, make that a coup d'etat. The army was disbanded, the city burned to the ground. Our fighter found no better solution than to escape in the wilderness.

There, 30-seconds background off the top of my head. :smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2010-10-11, 12:16 AM
Maybe they are a bounty hunter sent by someone to take in one of the other PC's. Before they can do so, they face a common foe and the bounty hunter grows less and less willing to bring their newly fire forged friend in, testing their loyalties.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2010-10-11, 12:45 AM
If it is normal ranger I agree with mountain man. But if it is some sort of variant like the Urban Ranger from Unearthed Arcana I will go with someone in law enforcement or like a detective who's ability to track his target is on par with his ability to fight the target in melee combat.

Eloel
2010-10-11, 01:04 AM
I have a human fighter/ranger which i think is really awesome but i'm having trouble thinking of a personality/background/role playing concept anyone have any ideas?

Aragorn is, afaik, a Fighter/Ranger.

valadil
2010-10-11, 01:18 AM
There are two ways to come up with a personality. You can write up the character's biography and see what kind of traits emerge. Or you can pick and choose traits that you'd like to play and reverse engineer a history to support them. I prefer the first method, but the second is a whole lot quicker.

For background stuff I usually list family members and any unusual relationships with them. Were they people of importance? Were they PCs with their own plot? Why did you leave home (this one is important)? Etc. Maybe talk about your character's first adventure and how you met up with the other PCs.

For the other method I usually pick a couple of characters from TV shows and play out different quirks of their personalities. For instance, I just started playing a holy relic hunter. He's roguishly inclined, but brings all his treasure back to the church. This lets him believe he's all high and mighty instead of scum. It's a different take on the scoundrel type character. The most obvious character I've ripped off here is Indiana Jones. But my guy reports to the church instead of a university. He's also very outward with his religion, though it's not his job to be a preacher. For that I borrowed a little of Michael from the Dresden Files. Finally I combined two other quirks into one other character homage/ripoff. I took the hyperactive metabolism trait, which I'm interpreting to mean that he's overly energetic. And he likes talking about treasure a lot, or as he calls it "treashah!" For that, I borrowed from South Park's Terrence and Philip (in one specific episode anyway). The end result of 3 parts Indy, 2 parts Michael, and 1 part T&P results in what looks like an interesting character that's fun to roleplay.

Xefas
2010-10-11, 04:06 AM
They were a vastly powerful ancient deity of industry and invention. But, scarcely farther had the clock ticked past the birthpains of the world, that they were betrayed by gods of tyranny and oppression that feared the deity's influence over the world.

However, even though their number was greater, they were still lesser gods, and thus could not kill him. So, they tore open a portal in the multiverse and threw him through, where he landed, wounded and broken in a wheat field in Nebraska, circa 1949.

Over the next 20 years, he would adopt a persona to live in this new world, that he might recuperate in relative peace before enacting his escape back to his own realm. In this time, he would become elected as the 37th President of the United States of America, Richard Nixon.

Time would pass, and deeds would be done, until around 1994, Richard Nixon was reported to have "died". In truth, the deity has finally fully recovered from his wounds, and reasserted his dominion of time and space to pull himself back through the fabric of reality.

Unfortunately, when he arrived, what he found was distressing. Though thousands of years had passed in his home multiverse, progress had not moved forward without him. Clerics still squirreled away their powers instead of churning out Continual Flame lantern factories, Wizards had not yet jury-rigged free-energy devices using a Wall of Force and some Gate spells, and Fighters were still only getting class features that advanced them linearly on the power scale while everyone else moved quadratically.

The deity moved forth, intent on ushering in a new age of prosperity, but his old nemeses would have nothing of it. The gods of bigotry and mindless tradition had grown strong while unchecked, and when the two forces met to do battle upon the astral plane, it was the Old One who fell.

With his last bit of strength, unwilling to die completely, he forged his soul anew, into a mortal soul, with absolutely no knowledge of its prior godhood, which he then passed into the Prime Material Plane.

And thus, the Human Fighter/Ranger was born, completely oblivious to everything that had previously happened. Randomly, he decided to join an adventuring party.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-11, 04:13 AM
I had a druid whose backstory was they used to be live on a farm as a child, but times went tough, and the feudal lord kicked them off their land and gave that to a political ally. With nowhere to go, they went to live in the woods with elves. Growing up with elves, he learned about nature and hunting.

You can use/modify this if you want. I'm cool with that.