PDA

View Full Version : So now you've been cursed...

Rasman
2010-10-11, 03:42 AM
I've come across a problem...

...at level 1 I came upon an item that was poisoning the water supply of the castle we're attempting to defend. I killed a couple of goblins and removed it, made a Fort Save when I touched it and apparently rolled well. Being level 1 I had no idea that it was a Fetish of Tiamat that acts as a Soul Well, dragging in the souls of the things that die near it that binds itself to anyone that happens to pick it up that isn't a follower of Tiamat. Basially...I was set up...did I mention it attracts evil?

I need some ideas on how to get rid of this thing. Something outside the box. Remove Curse pretty much won't work and other than using the power of a sword formally owned by Pelor himself, we don't have any ideas that don't resort in either me dying, giving it to a "powerful" wizard that we believe is up to no good, or...me dying... It's possible that taking it to the plane of positive energy could cause it to become significantly weakened and either outright destroy it or at the very least prevent it from being bound to me. But we're level 6, that's a little outside of our pay grade at the moment.

So Playgrounders, hit me with your best shot, because I'm not giving up on this character until well past epic levels.

Reluctance
2010-10-11, 04:05 AM
It's an antiresurrection thingamajob that's also a convenient plot device and random encounter explainer. This sounds like it's entirely by design.

Unless you're suffering undue penalties for keeping it around, I say you give your DM his plot hook for the time being. It's not like he's not dropping huge clues towards plot-centric artifacts and final confrontations here. I say to play along.

Only suggestion characterization-wise is to realize that a soul-sucking artifact of Tiamat probably empowers her with each and every soul you feed into it. Nonviolent/nonlethal ways of bypassing challenges would probably be wise to avoid beefing the final boss, even if it's only a bunch of fluff that doesn't affect the final game stats.

Rasman
2010-10-11, 04:31 AM
It's an antiresurrection thingamajob that's also a convenient plot device and random encounter explainer. This sounds like it's entirely by design.

Unless you're suffering undue penalties for keeping it around, I say you give your DM his plot hook for the time being. It's not like he's not dropping huge clues towards plot-centric artifacts and final confrontations here. I say to play along.

Only suggestion characterization-wise is to realize that a soul-sucking artifact of Tiamat probably empowers her with each and every soul you feed into it. Nonviolent/nonlethal ways of bypassing challenges would probably be wise to avoid beefing the final boss, even if it's only a bunch of fluff that doesn't affect the final game stats.

I'm continuously being haunted and anytime I try to sleep, I have to make at least 2 will saves if not more...he's also eluded that it could be corrupting me and slowly changing my alignment which in the long run can cause me to lose up to 10 levels in a PrC that this character was built based around.

The other problem with this is that we have an impending battle with an army of goblins in the range of thousands. Lethal confrontation is inevitable.

I'd prefer outright destroying the device, thus nulling any chance that the "final boss" gains significant power.

my other other thought is to find a way to use it, but even with knowledge checks well into the 40s, we didn't garner any info like that.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-10-11, 04:44 AM
Use Magic Device?

FelixG
2010-10-11, 04:50 AM
fetish of timat = artifact?

If not then just pool your money together to disjunction it

If it is...just get alot of money and have it disjunctioned till the person rolls well on that percentile! no need to tell em what will happen after they do it, they will be loaded from your attempts :D

Maybe find a follower of tiamat and hand it back to em and tell them to keep it? Perhaps start worshiping tiamat on the grounds that its better to join em than die?

Rasman
2010-10-11, 05:06 AM
fetish of timat = artifact?

If not then just pool your money together to disjunction it

If it is...just get alot of money and have it disjunctioned till the person rolls well on that percentile! no need to tell em what will happen after they do it, they will be loaded from your attempts :D

Maybe find a follower of tiamat and hand it back to em and tell them to keep it? Perhaps start worshiping tiamat on the grounds that its better to join em than die?

the problem with the "pool your money" idea is that this is a post-apocalyptic world, shortly after the invasion of the Horde of Elemental Evil in Greyhawk History. Greyhawk is all but gone and finding a "powerful wizard" is easy, but...he's kind of part of the problem. From what we learned about it, it's probably not an artifact since it most likely belonged to a low level follower and it's anywhere near as powerful as a Fetish that would belong to someone much higher up the chain.

I DO currently not have a patron Deity so becoming a follower, at the very least long enough to get rid of the Fetish, isn't a bad idea, but I'm true neutral, Tiamat is def Evil, I sense an alignment change if I do that.

Use Magic Device?

I'm trying to not die.

FelixG
2010-10-11, 05:09 AM
the problem with the "pool your money" idea is that this is a post-apocalyptic world, shortly after the invasion of the Horde of Elemental Evil in Greyhawk History. Greyhawk is all but gone and finding a "powerful wizard" is easy, but...he's kind of part of the problem. From what we learned about it, it's probably not an artifact since it most likely belonged to a low level follower and it's anywhere near as powerful as a Fetish that would belong to someone much higher up the chain.

I DO currently not have a patron Deity so becoming a follower, at the very least long enough to get rid of the Fetish, isn't a bad idea, but I'm true neutral, Tiamat is def Evil, I sense an alignment change if I do that.

I'm trying to not die.

Alignment is based on how you play your character, that little descriptor just affects spells :P

Sit there every morning and pray to her to give her power, your a fringe believer but you are doing your part!

DragonOfUndeath
2010-10-11, 05:12 AM
I'm trying to not die.

aww your no fun :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2010-10-11, 05:14 AM
He's already forcing alignment change upon you, with the ever-present implications of taking the character away as well when the DM goes on about that sort of thing.

So, yeah. At least if it's your choice you get it over with sooner if he's dead-set on offing your character or, hey, maybe you'll be able to stop having the thing stuck to your hand so you can't do anything with it.

As long as you currently lack Exalted feats you're fine if you switch to the Goddess of Adventurers and then decide she doesn't have the kind of tail you want.

Hmm, got any Thinuan?

FelixG
2010-10-11, 05:16 AM
OH OH!

Drop the thing in a bag of holding then shove that into a portable hole, they are both destroyed and the item is lost forever!

DragonOfUndeath
2010-10-11, 05:20 AM
OH OH!

Drop the thing in a bag of holding then shove that into a portable hole, they are both destroyed and the item is lost forever!

i endorse this message (especially if it involves extra-dimensional explosions :smallbiggrin:)

Coidzor
2010-10-11, 05:22 AM
Are there any ways to get a severed hand back other than stumbling upon one of Vecna's spares or getting an 8th level spell cast?

FelixG
2010-10-11, 05:23 AM
Are there any ways to get a severed hand back other than stumbling upon one of Vecna's spares or getting an 8th level spell cast?

In this case, you deploy the portable hole then poke at it with your 10 foot poll to get the item inside.

Rasman
2010-10-11, 05:33 AM
OH OH!

you know what...I think that's exactly what I'm going to do...no doubt a "powerful wizard" would have at least one of each just laying around

...although...a backup plan is in order in the event that I get Rule 0ed...

Nero24200
2010-10-11, 06:31 AM
If you don't want to cause a small black hole you could always drop it in a bag of holding, then place the bag in an anti-magic zone. The contents will disapear until the bag leaves the zone, essentially removing it from existance while it's there. This means that casters cannot use divinations to find it nor will evil creatures be attracted to it.

Bury it underground and just hope no one finds it.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-11, 08:09 AM
This device is made of plotanium, and is essentially outside the rules. Don't expect to get rid of it creatively.

Your DM expects one of the two things to happen.
1. You give it to the wizard, which will no doubt somehow be useful to his master plan.
2. You go on a long quest to find epic sword of epicness.

It's basically a plot device that also screws your character over hard.

I suggest you consider option 3. Go evil. Worship Tiamet, and praise her for your gift. Slaughter people in her name. Definitely do not take levels in PrCs the DM will make you effectively lose due to falling. Make sure to mention the device in speeches before combat(and point out you are not bluffing, and should likely get a bonus to intimidate), while threatening your enemies with their very souls being sucked out and fed to Tiamet.

Edit: By RAW, sticking it into a bag of devouring repeatedly should do the trick.

Coidzor
2010-10-11, 10:43 AM
Just don't PrC into Talon of Tiamat. I hear unpleasant things about that class.

Aidan305
2010-10-11, 12:10 PM
The first thing to do is try and keep it isolated. A bag of holding or a portable hole are best for this since they're both technically extra-dimensional spaces separated from our own reality (or that of the characters). Since the connection is there, it probably won't help to stop the dreams, but it should at least stop it from absorbing the souls of those you slay since it's not technically in the same place as you.

Now to tackle the dreams, this is a bit trickier. If you have a decent religious type in the party and can afford it, I'd recommend creating a Hallowed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/hallow.htm) area to stay. Otherwise a Magic Circle Against Evil (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicCircleAgainstEvil.htm) might work. It might be worth considering creating some form of magic item utilising it. Perhaps some sort of portable mat or carpet with one inscribed on it.

Once you've tackled the protection, you can move on to actually trying to destroy the item in question. Commune (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/commune.htm) is a good and relatively cheap way of getting information, and Divination (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/divination.htm) or Planar Ally, especially if it's one of the more powerful Planar Ally spells, can sometimes work well as well.

And that should take up a good portion of a campaign while giving both yourself and the GM lots to do.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-11, 12:22 PM
Also, for the future, always purchase a mundane set of gloves at character creation. State that you will never actually touch things unless you specify you do.

I've found that this simple step is amazingly helpful for avoiding DM shenanigans.

Lothmar
2010-10-11, 12:44 PM
Quick question, when you say it's 'Bound to you' do you mean it's physically attached or just never leaves your person?

For some reason I just had this odd visual of someone with a cursed item stuck to his hand. If that was the case, I'd say get a guantlet of storing and shunt the object into extradimensional space - then remove your hand now free'd from the object and destroy the glove sealing the artifact on the demi plane.

If it's a stuck scenario, you could also try to get whater that stuff is that removes sovereign glue and see if that helps. *chuckle*

Or is this a 'If it's removed from your person it sucks out your soul' scenario?

chiasaur11
2010-10-11, 12:56 PM
This device is made of plotanium, and is essentially outside the rules. Don't expect to get rid of it creatively.

Your DM expects one of the two things to happen.
1. You give it to the wizard, which will no doubt somehow be useful to his master plan.
2. You go on a long quest to find epic sword of epicness.

It's basically a plot device that also screws your character over hard.

I suggest you consider option 3. Go evil. Worship Tiamet, and praise her for your gift. Slaughter people in her name. Definitely do not take levels in PrCs the DM will make you effectively lose due to falling. Make sure to mention the device in speeches before combat(and point out you are not bluffing, and should likely get a bonus to intimidate), while threatening your enemies with their very souls being sucked out and fed to Tiamet.

What Niel said.

You're being railroaded, looks like.

Which means the proper and proportional response is full on puppy kicking campaign busting fun.

Christopher K.
2010-10-11, 12:58 PM
..yeah, you're pretty much stuck. :smalltongue: You either have to adopt the Tiamat lifestyle at this point or go on a long quest to remove your curse some other way. Other than that, I'm fairly certain you don't have any other options.

Lothmar
2010-10-11, 01:06 PM
Well, he could always go on a sacred hermitage to some very sacred place that could let him stay there the rest of his life in relative saftey (or if not availble - seclusion/secrecy, pool your money and build a dungeon! xD) - effectively bow out of the game and come in with a new character - effectively giving up his character to become a DMNPC - to which the party will find out has been killed or various X things happend etc and the artifact is now in bad guys hands - but not having to go through all the annoyances etc of the Frodo Roll.