PDA

View Full Version : Encounters in the Drow Arena

Gnaritas
2010-10-11, 07:41 AM
D&D 3.5
What would my party fight in a Drow Arena where they are forced to fight in.

Party:
Human Saint/Sacred Martyr (or something)/Monk/Cleric
Human Sacred Fist
Goliath Warblade
Human Rogue (archer)
Dwarf Barbarian

The rogue is level 8, the others are level 9.

Depending on what happens i want personal fights and party fights (probably the last).

So i guess CR 7 - 12

What i have:
A Deep Dragon (DotU), but they already encountered one [any CR]
A bunch of spiders, but they already encountered some [any CR]
A bunch of Quaggoths (DotU) [any CR]
A bunch of Lizards (DotU) [any CR]

Amiel
2010-10-11, 07:42 AM
Demons are totally appropriate, especially those with an arachnoid appearance or theme.

Mastikator
2010-10-11, 07:46 AM
How about drow gladiators? Or just gladiators of any race the Drow typically enslave?

Diarmuid
2010-10-11, 08:22 AM
Driders?
Owlbears?
A party of any kind of NPC's you want who were also captured by the drow
Illithid?

Arcane_Secrets
2010-10-11, 08:59 AM
I think drow would probably kill illithids on sight given that they'd be kind of a pain to imprison, but those illithid-related creatures from Lords of Madness-especially if the Drow had a pack of them they wanted to kill off, would be a good idea.

Worlok
2010-10-11, 09:01 AM
Personally, I maintain that a D&D arena isn't quite the real deal without a Tyrannosaurus, some giants clad in cannibalized construct parts and a none-too-obvious stand-in for some sort of popular character as 'boss fights', regardless of faction. :smallbiggrin:

But that's just me. If you're going with the standard Forgotten Realms Drow fare (or what I consider to be the sFRDf, judging from those books by Salvatore - Does this constitute blasphemy?), I'd reckon some aspiring academy fighters would be in order. Roughing up captives (or gladiators in general) for practice seems well within the boundaries of their whole 'Evil' deal. Perhaps some underdark monstrosities. Aren't there all kinds of giant-sized vermin down there?

Get creative, perhaps have them face some sort of trap-filled impromptu maze erected within the arena, basically a death-by-torture deal visible for the bloodthirsty Drow demographic. Spiced up with some Drow soldiers or slave troopers maneuvering high above them on wooden planks and engaging them in ranged combat.

Also, undead whatevers are a poor choice, as they would hardly offer a lot in the 'dramatically, spectacularly gruesome deaths' department arenas usually go for. Same goes for constructs. Perhaps you really should go for the spider theme: An Aranea who does arena combat in order to not have to hunt herself. Some ettercap mercenaries. There are some possibilites.

DanReiv
2010-10-11, 09:36 AM
It pings on underdark

MMII

Avoloakia, CR 10 underdark aberration, group fight.
Sapphire Dragon (captured), CR Varies, earth dragon, solo (very young/young/juvenile), Group fight (bigger)

MMIII

Cinder Swarm, CR 13, fire elemental swarm, group fight.
Gulgar, CR 9, earth monstruous humanoid, solo or group fight (several, possibly mounted on Yrthaks, possibly couple class levels)
Harpoon Spider, underdark aberration, CR 4, solo (2-3 spiders) or group fight (couple spiders + 1 Dread Harpoon Spider)
Cave Troll, CR 8, underdark giant.
Voidmind template.

MMIV

Lodestone Marauder, CR 9, underdark aberration.
Lolth-touched template.

MMV

Rylkar, underdark rat-like magical beast, CR 9 (harridan), CR 6 (tormentor), CR 4 (swarm), CR 3 (madclaws).
Sharsoul Slayer, underdark construct, CR 5.
Vivisector, underdark aberration, CR 4.

Dungeonscape

Ascomoid, dungeon-dwelling plant, CR 4.
Rot Grub, dungeon-dwelling swarm, CR 6.

+ all the monsters from DoTU, and Underdark.

Hopes it help designing nice encouters for your players.

Gnaritas
2010-10-11, 09:53 AM
I took about 8 encounters to choose/roll from. Thanks for the help all.