PDA

View Full Version : War and XPs Reprint

tarsusc81
2010-10-11, 10:40 AM
D'oh! Just when I begin to catch up on the print editions, War and XPs goes out of stock! Looks like I just barely missed No Cure for the Paladin Blues being out of stock, too. Any word on a likely reprint schedule for these?

After being stuck without a reasonably priced copy of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools available for what seemed like forever, I jumped right on it when it was reprinted. And I suppose I better grab Don't Split the Party right away so I don't end up in the same position yet again!

Pretty please say #3 will be reprinted sooner rather than later!

The Giant
2010-10-11, 11:09 AM
Obviously, we'd love to reprint it, but there are currently no plans to do so this year. If sales are good over the holiday season, one of our top priorities is getting books #2 and #3 back into print.

So, if you are thinking of buying book #4, don't wait for #3 to come back first. The very act of buying #4 now will make it slightly more likely that we'll have the ability to reprint #3!

Morquard
2010-10-11, 11:27 AM
I'd love to buy it, but shipping to europe is more expensive then the books :(

Do you know by any chance if there's a way to get them here without having to pay that much?

Cizak
2010-10-11, 11:29 AM
I'd love to buy it, but shipping to europe is more expensive then the books :(

Do you know by any chance if there's a way to get them here without having to pay that much?

Find a store in your country that sells them? That's how I bought them. Ordered them online from a Swedish store.

Morquard
2010-10-11, 11:32 AM
The only ones I find are about as expensive as if I order them right from the US.
Could you maybe give me a link to that shop you bought it from, maybe that works?

King of Nowhere
2010-10-11, 12:04 PM
The only ones I find are about as expensive as if I order them right from the US.

I had the same problem, and in the end I decided to buy them directly from USA. They're worth the extra price.

KenderWizard
2010-10-11, 12:11 PM
I got them delivered to the house I was staying in when I was in the US recently. Obviously that doesn't work unless you're in the US for some reason, and flights to the US are more expensive than postage! But if you have friends or family over there, you might be able to get them to receive them and either post them on to you or stick them in a suitcase next time they're coming to visit. I'm not sure how postage on the website compares to just standard US postage from an individual, but I posted some things home to Ireland from the US and the rate seemed very reasonable to me. Nothing as heavy as a couple of A4 sized books, but it might still work out cheaper.

Cizak
2010-10-11, 01:21 PM
Could you maybe give me a link to that shop you bought it from, maybe that works?

Don't really know if the price is any different, I just bought them here because it's simpler :smalltongue: And hmm, seems like waxps, ncftpb and otoopcs are out of stock here too for the moment. waxps and ncftpb aren't even shown, that's wierd :smallconfused: Oh well, here's where I bought them: http://www.sfbok.se/ Just search for "order of the stick".

AMJ
2010-10-12, 04:43 PM

Where in the world do you live?

In Copenhagen (close to southern Sweden ,-) the books can be found at Fantask or Farao's Cigarer.

Best,
AMJ

Gilraen
2011-02-27, 11:29 AM
I'll wave my stick fingers in the air and express my hope that #3 will be back in print soon. It's the only one I don't have, and I feel so incomplete. :smalleek:

Keejus
2011-02-27, 02:40 PM

In Copenhagen (close to southern Sweden ,-) the books can be found at Fantask or Farao's Cigarer.

Best,
AMJ

Oh man, I'd never considered that they'd be out here. Just ordered Start of Darkness. Cheers. Neither had on the Origin of PCs, though ) :

NerfTW
2011-02-27, 04:33 PM
I'll wave my stick fingers in the air and express my hope that #3 will be back in print soon. It's the only one I don't have, and I feel so incomplete. :smalleek:

Spending money on other merchandise might work a bit better than wishful thinking. He knows people want to buy the books, or they wouldn't keep selling out.

H Birchgrove
2011-03-02, 05:10 AM
Find a store in your country that sells them? That's how I bought them. Ordered them online from a Swedish store.

Awesome; I've planned to order them from "my" LCS anyway (or at least ask if it is possible). :smallsmile:

OnlineDM
2011-03-05, 02:18 AM
For what it's worth, I'm willing to pre-pay (not just pre-order) copies of War and XPs and No Cure for the Paladin Blues. I'm even willing to pay more than the cover price (I had a rare book store do a search for me, and I told them I'm willing to pay up to $50 apiece - no luck, of course). Anything to help get these books back in print so that I can buy my copies!

Nimrod's Son
2011-03-05, 11:02 AM
For what it's worth, I'm willing to pre-pay (not just pre-order) copies of War and XPs and No Cure for the Paladin Blues. I'm even willing to pay more than the cover price (I had a rare book store do a search for me, and I told them I'm willing to pay up to $50 apiece - no luck, of course). Anything to help get these books back in print so that I can buy my copies!
Well in that case, do as Rich suggests and spend the extra money on merchandise, then buy the books for the regular price when they inevitably do get reprinted. That way, you get more for your money and you actually do help get the books out faster. :smallwink:

NerfTW
2011-03-05, 12:06 PM

There's a LOT of problems with that kind of system. For starters, it creates a legal obligation to actually provide the books. And this isn't a "Oh, I just need ten people to order and then I can print them out" thing. This would have to be an entire print run. Meaning thousands of copies. It's extremely unlikely enough people would do that to make any meaninful contribution.

Plus, there's the whole issue of tracking that money, keeping it separate and not spending it, legal and tax obligations, etc. Giant mega companies can do that, sure, but this is just one man with a webcomic. That's a massive amount of work for almost no gain, to him or the customer.

OnlineDM
2011-03-06, 01:23 PM
Sorry, I wasn't trying to propose a formal system or anything like that. I was only trying to convey that I would really like to buy these books and would be willing, if it would help, to pre-pay or pay higher than the cover price in order to get them.

Clearly, that is not actually feasible and clearly it won't actually help. Oh well.

Also, I've bought other OOtS merchandise before, too, but the books are all I really want right now. If there were a "donate to the next print run of the two out of print books" fund, I would kick in twenty bucks right now, with no promise of ever getting anything out of it. Just saying.

Ted The Bug
2011-03-06, 03:38 PM
Sorry, I wasn't trying to propose a formal system or anything like that. I was only trying to convey that I would really like to buy these books and would be willing, if it would help, to pre-pay or pay higher than the cover price in order to get them.

Clearly, that is not actually feasible and clearly it won't actually help. Oh well.

Also, I've bought other OOtS merchandise before, too, but the books are all I really want right now. If there were a "donate to the next print run of the two out of print books" fund, I would kick in twenty bucks right now, with no promise of ever getting anything out of it. Just saying.

As someone with all the books, that sounds like a really good idea. One of the big reasons I had in getting them was not just owning the comics in hard copy, but helping support indie comics, especially since Rich runs an ad-free site. He doesn't like donations, but since this is in exchange for actual goods, it might have some merit to it.

EDIT: Not sure if this is intentional or not, but the OtOoPCs (http://www.ookoodook.com/store/OOTSOntheOriginofPCs.shtml) page on Ookoodook has no 'add to cart' link, but also nothing saying it's out of stock.

Nimrod's Son
2011-03-06, 10:51 PM
Also, I've bought other OOtS merchandise before, too, but the books are all I really want right now.
:smallconfused: And yet you're willing to buy the books for twice the retail price? Buy a t-shirt and give it to someone as a present if you don't want it, then wait and buy the book for the price it's supposed to cost. You'll have spent about the same amount of money, and it'll help Rich get reprints going a lot more than pointing out you'd be happy to pay in advance, which he has no facility for.

OnlineDM
2011-03-08, 10:30 AM
:smallconfused: And yet you're willing to buy the books for twice the retail price? Buy a t-shirt and give it to someone as a present if you don't want it, then wait and buy the book for the price it's supposed to cost. You'll have spent about the same amount of money, and it'll help Rich get reprints going a lot more than pointing out you'd be happy to pay in advance, which he has no facility for.

Sorry, I'm still not being clear. OotS T-shirts are lovely, and I'm sure I'll buy some more of them at some point in time. They're not what I want right now - I want the out of print books. Yes, I COULD buy a t-shirt, and yes, that probably WOULD make it slightly more likely that the books would come back into print someday in the future. But I want my dollars to go as directly as possible toward the goal of getting those books back into print so that I can buy them.

If I randomly buy a t-shirt, Rich's conclusion is (and SHOULD be), "Cool, this guy likes this t-shirt and was happy to buy it." If I could donate to a "get the books in print" fund (either just by tossing some no-strings cash Rich's way or if there were the mythical pay-in-advance option), Rich would conclude, "Cool, this guy wants to buy these books and is willing to pay money to help make that more likely."

I believe that the latter option is much more likely to end up with what I'm looking for - the books, not other OotS merch. Again, the other stuff is lovely, but it's not what I'm looking for right now.

And remember, after my first post in which I suggested pre-paying, I later said that I would be willing to put no-strings dollars in Rich's pocket to contribute to the "get the books back in print" fund. If that were an option, it would have a much higher dollar-for-dollar impact on getting the books back in print than buying a t-shirt would, since Rich wouldn't have to deal with the wholesale cost of the shirt, shipping, and processing the order.

Listen, if you all think I'm nuts, that's okay! But I would really like to have these books and I would like Rich to be the one who profits from my desire to buy these books. My only option to get them at the moment is to pay crazy dollars in the secondary market, which I don't want to do and which doesn't help Rich. Getting the books back in print is something I DO want to do and it WILL help Rich. Thus, that's my goal.

Nimrod's Son
2011-03-09, 12:14 AM
If that were an option
It's not. I was suggesting the next best thing. :smallsmile:

OnlineDM
2011-03-14, 09:02 AM
It's not. I was suggesting the next best thing. :smallsmile:

True. I was expressing a hope that it might become an option. Here's hoping.

Excellent - new products are now available that I want! I've just ordered the book of comics from Dragon as well as the cards for the game expansion. Here's hoping that lots of other people will do the same, thus putting more dollars in Rich's pocket with which he can get the two out-of-print books back in print!

Tass
2011-03-14, 12:35 PM
Obviously, we'd love to reprint it, but there are currently no plans to do so this year. If sales are good over the holiday season, one of our top priorities is getting books #2 and #3 back into print.

So, if you are thinking of buying book #4, don't wait for #3 to come back first. The very act of buying #4 now will make it slightly more likely that we'll have the ability to reprint #3!

Trouble is for us Europeans shipping is a major part of the expense. That makes it favorable to lump purchases together, which is terribly hard to do when they are this often out of print.

I think it really hurts sales, it certainly has for my part.

Best,
AMJ

At twice the price though.

catsclaw227
2011-03-16, 09:38 AM
I just ordered the new book, along with Don't Split the Party, as well. I may still get the OOTS Deluxe game, but I need to save some more pennies to do so.

I hope that these two new products will allow Rich to reprint War and XPs, because that will be the only one I still don't have.

zql
2011-03-16, 05:36 PM
Nothing compares to the excitement of knowing that any day soon, after two weeks of anxiety, the mailman will bring a sealed yellow package with some oots comics inside :smallbiggrin:

I've ordered Origins and DStP from Argentina in two separated occasions, paying around u$s 15 each time, and I repent nothing.

In a few days I'm buying the new book and Dungeon Crawling Fools at the same time (because the weight makes the package remain under the limit for the simplier envelop). After that, my finances will recover until the reprint of book #2 and #3... Unless some extra money let me buy SoD.

black34v6
2011-05-03, 05:50 PM
I think we are at a point where a reprint of War and XPs is warranted - The book has completely sold out that I can see save 1-2 copies that are currently being listed at over $200 - and one thats even trying to be sold for $700!! (what are these people thinking)

that being said, if everyone is "sold out" of the book and only a few copies remain I think it's safe to surmise that the book is popular and will be bought again if reprinted.

I have already pre-ordered the new book, "Snips, Snails and Dragon Tales" and am eagerly awaiting notification of delivery. But alas I will never be able to complete my collection of these works of art without War and XPs :(

So sad am I...

Morgan Wick
2011-05-04, 01:53 AM
I'm a bit worried that the 75 lost-in-a-warehouse copies of No Cure that were found a month ago make it more likely that War and XPs will be reprinted before No Cure. I'm anal about buying the books in order.

stick1975
2011-05-05, 09:48 AM
I came into OOTS way later than most and I have every book except War and XPs. Would love to finish the set without paying $100 on ebay. I have bought a shirt too. Please re-release it. I'm sure there are enough people out there that would buy it.

NerfTW
2011-05-05, 02:18 PM
I love how everyone keeps posting to this thread without reading the very second post by the Giant.

Here we go, so you can see it:
IT'S NOT AN ISSUE OF DEMAND, HE KNOWS PEOPLE WILL BUY IT. IT'S AN ISSUE OF FUNDS.

If you want to see them reprinted, buy the other books so he has the money to do so. Bumping old threads with "me too!" posts doesn't tell him anything he doesn't already know.

Also keep in mind that he is currently printing a book right now. The profit from this book might go to a reprint of another book. But don't think he's ignoring demand when he's currently selling a new book as we speak.

CaptainIreland
2011-05-10, 03:01 PM
Why pay for what you get for free?

MoonCat
2011-05-10, 03:08 PM
Why pay for what you get for free?

Bonus strips, commentary, writers thoughts, hints as to what will happen...

CaptainIreland
2011-05-10, 03:12 PM
Bonus strips, commentary, writers thoughts, hints as to what will happen...

Worth $50 bucks or whatever (based on what the one poster suggested he would pay for the book)...seems a little steep for a page of commentary at the start of the book. Seems like the kind of thing to not worry about.

MoonCat
2011-05-10, 03:46 PM
Actually there averages a page and a half of commentary per every chapter, which is quite a lot.

Absol197
2011-05-10, 05:58 PM
Plus, some people just prefer books to online. I am one such person, as are several of my friends. They don't want to read OotS because they don't want to read it online, but since I bought DCF, three of them have started reading it. It's just preference.

Katana_Geldar
2011-05-10, 07:20 PM
The books are much easier to get people to become fans.

War and XPs was actually the first one I bought, and now I have the full set! :smallbiggrin:

NerfTW
2011-05-10, 07:54 PM
Worth $50 bucks or whatever (based on what the one poster suggested he would pay for the book)...seems a little steep for a page of commentary at the start of the book. Seems like the kind of thing to not worry about.

Then it's a good thing the real price is $25, not "$50 bucks or whatever".

And as noted, it's way more than "a page of commentary at the start", so I don't know where you're getting that. It's easily 10-15 pages in each book.

Plus the 10-15 bonus comics on top of that. Which you can find out on the product pages on this site, instead of guessing.

Not to mention it's supporting the author, since, well, otherwise we wouldn't be getting free comics anymore.

CaptainIreland
2011-05-10, 11:08 PM
Then it's a good thing the real price is $25, not "$50 bucks or whatever".

And as noted, it's way more than "a page of commentary at the start", so I don't know where you're getting that. It's easily 10-15 pages in each book.

Plus the 10-15 bonus comics on top of that. Which you can find out on the product pages on this site, instead of guessing.

Not to mention it's supporting the author, since, well, otherwise we wouldn't be getting free comics anymore.

Whoa, no need to jump on me, man.

$50 bucks or whatever is referring to what the poster said about the rare book shop he went to (OnlineDM post number 14). I thought I clarified that in the parenthetical you didn't quote? Not a guess, what he actually said. And that's not taking into account the $100 or more people are asking for on ebay.

I'm getting the page of commentary from the books I do own (SoD and PCs). I have not seen the other books. But ok, 10 to 15 pages of commentary if you say so.

And I never mentioned the bonus comics at all, so I don't think I guessed anything about those (so don't attack me...please?).

As for supporting the author, buying on ebay or a rare book shop doesn't support him, since the books are being resold at that point, right?

Please don't attack me though. It hurts.

EDIT: Ladies, thank you for your polite responses.

SPoD
2011-05-10, 11:14 PM
Those are all reasons not to buy them from resellers, but when you say, "Why pay for something you can get for free?" most people are going to assume you are questioning the value of the books themselves. You're basically saying that ANY price is too high, which in turn implies that no one should buy them at the price Rich is selling them, either.

And yes, OtOoPCs and SoD have significantly less commentary than any of the color books, precisely because they are all new material. WaXP has 11 pages.

CaptainIreland
2011-05-10, 11:19 PM
Those are all reasons not to buy them from resellers, but when you say, "Why pay for something you can get for free?" most people are going to assume you are questioning the value of the books themselves. You're basically saying that ANY price is too high, which in turn implies that no one should buy them at the price Rich is selling them, either.

Except no one was quoting that, they were very clearly talking about my second post, which did not sound that way at all.

If the books are sold out from official sources, there's no way it could be talking about spending $50 there, like Nerf assumed.

NerfTW
2011-05-10, 11:48 PM
But ok, 10 to 15 pages of commentary if you say so.

You don't have to take my word for it. The Shop link to your left lists the features of each book.

And I never mentioned the bonus comics at all, so I don't think I guessed anything about those

Yes, but you did say:

seems a little steep for a page of commentary at the start of the book.

Which is not all you're paying for, so yes, your post claimed that all the books contained was a page of commentary, and not the other 20+ pages of content.

I'm not jumping on you. I'm simply disputing the incorrect facts in your post, and your belief that the only bonus content was a page of commentary. Not to mention that if you were getting it from SOD, then you ignored 112 pages of all new content.

CaptainIreland
2011-05-11, 12:44 AM
You don't have to take my word for it. The Shop link to your left lists the features of each book.

Yes, but you did say:

Which is not all you're paying for, so yes, your post claimed that all the books contained was a page of commentary, and not the other 20+ pages of content.

I'm not jumping on you. I'm simply disputing the incorrect facts in your post, and your belief that the only bonus content was a page of commentary. Not to mention that if you were getting it from SOD, then you ignored 112 pages of all new content.

Still coming off a little aggressive to me, man. Let's be civil.

I do take your word for it. Should I NOT believe what you say? I'm confused by that.

That is not all my post said, so I apologize that you misunderstood.

And, I should clarify, my post was only intended for the reprints of the online comic books, not the books of new material (which are much more easily available, too).

SPoD
2011-05-11, 12:50 AM
I do take your word for it. Should I NOT believe what you say? I'm confused by that.

Saying, "If you say so," to someone is going to almost always be taken to mean, "I don't actually believe what you're saying, so I'm just going to act skeptical." If that's not what you mean, then it's probably not the best phrase to use in response to someone.

CaptainIreland
2011-05-11, 01:03 AM
Saying, "If you say so," to someone is going to almost always be taken to mean, "I don't actually believe what you're saying, so I'm just going to act skeptical." If that's not what you mean, then it's probably not the best phrase to use in response to someone.

If you say so.

;-)

Draconi Redfir
2011-05-11, 01:14 AM
i'm waiting on no cure for the paladin blues myself, likely the same story as war and XP's though. And the store were i bought DCF, OOPC's, and SOD doesen't have it in stock anymore.

Zeb The Troll
2011-05-11, 04:13 AM
Troll Patrol: This thread has already been necro'd twice and The Giant has long since answered the OP. As reprints become available, notice will be given, likely both in a thread and in the News.