PDA

View Full Version : Help with a warlock

powerdemon
2010-10-11, 11:45 AM
I am making a warlock character who will eventually take the hellfire warlock prestige class. I could use some help if anyone has some time. I asked these questions in the simple questions thread but I think it might be flirting with the line of On Topic:

What are some cheap/free ways to heal ability damage besides natural healing? Preferably something with unlimited uses per day, or cheap enough to use many times per day.

Also, does anyone have a suggestion for an armor material for a light armor for a warlock?

Zore
2010-10-11, 11:52 AM
As I literally just finished building one here are my recommendations,

Take one level of Binder and bind Naberius at all times to heal ability damage.

Failing at that, make sure you keep your UMD high and buy a bunch of wands of lesser restoration. They're not ideal, but if you can't get Binder they're one of your better options.

For armor I usually get Mithral Chain shirts because I focus a lot on dexterity.

Remember to get a greater Chausable of Fell power for infinite +2d6 to your eldritch blast.

powerdemon
2010-10-11, 11:55 AM
Remember to get a greater Chausable of Fell power for infinite +2d6 to your eldritch blast.

Definitely planned on that. And the warlock's Scepter when I can afford it.

What book is binder in? Is it Magic of Incarnum?

Last Laugh
2010-10-11, 11:57 AM
Binder 1 gets you access to naberius. (he allows you to treat con mod skills as trained, lets you take 10 on social skills and heals ability damage.)
The strongheart vest from MoI reduces ability damage, but I'm not sure how to gain access to it quickly.
(binder is from ToM)
Mithral armor from RotW is the best you can get.
A mithral breastplate is +5 AC +5 max dex -2 ACP.
only 15% ASF too, but I don't think that affects you.

Zore
2010-10-11, 12:01 PM
Definitely planned on that. And the warlock's Scepter when I can afford it.

What book is binder in? Is it Magic of Incarnum?

Tome of Magic.

MrRigger
2010-10-11, 12:05 PM
Binder is in Tome of Magic, and is some very interesting flavor if nothing else. You can instead take a level of Incarnate and bind the Strongheart Vest. Incarnate is actually a bit better than Binder because it lowers all ability damage you take by one point, while Naberius can only heal one point of ability damage per round. This is usually enough, but if you end up in melee and using the Hellfire Shield you'll start to feel it. For more cheese, you instead take the feat Shape Soulmeld for the Strongheart Vest and get it that way, without giving up any invoker levels. Though given how feat starved most warlocks are, you might not want that.

MrRigger

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-11, 12:06 PM
The two common ways to deal with Hellfire Con damage, are either dipping Binder (Tome of Magic) and binding Naberious the Grinning Hound, which grants fast healing 1 for Ability Damage, a boost to some untrained skills (when you bind him, you select a number of untrained skills and treat them as trained and IIRC you also get a bonus) plus the ability to take 10 on some social skills.

Or the feat Shape Souldmeld: Stronghear Vest (Magic of Incarnum) which gives you a kind of damage reduction that applies to ability damage (there is a heated debate on wheather this "activate" the clause that you can't use Hellfire if you are immune to con damage.)

I also suggest mithral armor (chain shirt is the best you can use).

I also suggest looking into the Gloves of Eldritch Admixture (Magic Item Compendium) which have charges per day that you can use to increase your EB base damage and change the energy type to deal with those pesky resistances and immunities.

Edit: Partially Swordsage'd...

powerdemon
2010-10-11, 12:07 PM
Neither I nor my DM know anything about MoI or Binders so we are avoiding them for the time being. I was thinking the wand of lesser restore as well since that seems my best option.

Or the feat Shape Souldmeld: Stronghear Vest (Magic of Incarnum) which gives you a kind of damage reduction that applies to ability damage (there is a heated debate on wheather this "activate" the clause that you can't use Hellfire if you are immune to con damage.)

I would not allow this of my players and this DM is more strict than myself. Though I do thank you for the suggestion.

MrRigger
2010-10-11, 12:10 PM
If you aren't using ToM or MoI, then yes, Wands of Lesser Restoration are your best bet, as far as I know.

MrRigger

powerdemon
2010-10-11, 12:12 PM
If you aren't using ToM or MoI, then yes, Wands of Lesser Restoration are your best bet, as far as I know.

MrRigger

Yeah I hate to turn down suggestions, but I've not read those two enough yet to understand what I'm getting into. The feat I would be ok with, but the wording to me says it wouldn't work for this con damage.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-11, 12:16 PM
Fair enough, though personally considering the low amount of feat 3.5 characters normally get, I think the feat spent on SS:SV is enough cost; but I like higher powered games, so maybe that is the reason.

And I think the rod of bodily restoration (Magic Item Compendium) can heal ability damage, and it has charges per day, so it might be worthwie to check it.

Also if you have the time I heavilly suggest you to look into both the Binder (and by extension the ToM) and Magic of Incarnum, both of them are incredibly fun and balanced. (though the latter is a tad complicated and might need two or three dozen* reads-through to understand it fully)

* ;P Just kidding, it is complicated but not that complicated

powerdemon
2010-10-11, 12:17 PM
I do intend to read them eventually, just been busy with work :)

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-11, 12:26 PM
A work, the bane of all Role players :smalltongue:

Another recomendation, a familiar is great to improve your action economy, get a familia such as a raven or imp, that can manipulate wands, so that he may use the wands/rods/what ever on you to heal the ability damage. this way you still have your standard actions for blasting.

powerdemon
2010-10-11, 12:27 PM
Any feat suggestions? I plan on getting Maximize Spell-like ability when I can and weapon focus for the EB.

How could a raven activate a wand? Or an Imp even. Don't they need UMD or the spell on their list?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-11, 12:33 PM
Quicken SLA is usually a good idea, though I use it mostly on Flee the scene to improve my mobility.

Ravens can manipulate wands with their feet, and Imp are little humanoids so that is a given, as for activating them, familiar use you skill ranks and modifiers unless theirs are higher. So the imp familiar of a warlock can use magic devices as well as the warlock.

powerdemon
2010-10-11, 12:34 PM
Quicken SLA is usually a good idea, though I use it mostly on Flee the scene to improve my mobility.
Forgot to mention that one, but I intended to get that one as well.

Ravens can manipulate wands with their feet, and Imp are little humanoids so that is a given, as for activating them, familiar use you skill ranks and modifiers unless theirs are higher. So the imp familiar of a warlock can use magic devices as well as the warlock.

O_O cool... :smallcool:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-11, 12:35 PM
Forgot to mention that one, but I intended to get that one as well.

O_O cool... :smallcool:

I know:smallbiggrin:

Eldariel
2010-10-11, 12:46 PM
I know:smallbiggrin:

Sans the Charisma-bonuses (they have native 14 Cha). But as Wands are a fixed DC 20, that's generally not a problem.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-11, 01:05 PM
Ok lets assume a level 9 Warlock (the level at wich the will most likely get the Imp familiar)

UMD ranks 12 +2 Charisma +14 so an imp needs a 6 or more on the dice to activate a Wand of Lesser restoration, I say it is quite probable the Imp will succed.

Also the Rod of Bodily restoration just require an standard action, so no check needed, and it is kinda cheap (3,100 GP) so a mid to high level adventurer can easily get more than one, and a Warlock who has Imbue Item can make one with an UMD check of 29.... (IIRC was it 25 + spell level for divine spells)

powerdemon
2010-10-11, 01:06 PM
Also the Rod of Bodily restoration just require an standard action, so no check needed, and it is kinda cheap (3,100 GP) so a mid to high level adventurer can easily get more than one, and a Warlock who has Imbue Item can make one with an UMD check of 29.... (IIRC was it 25 + spell level for divine spells)

You still need the item creation feat/s.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-11, 01:10 PM
Errr yeah that too:smalleek:

Bugbeartrap
2010-10-11, 02:03 PM
Don't forget Warlock 4 gives you take 10 on UMD.

Hyfigh
2010-10-11, 05:24 PM
Dip Chameleon for that changeable bonus feat. It works wonders on Warlocks.

gorfnab
2010-10-12, 03:31 AM
For more Warlock stuff look here: Warlock Information Compilation (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2915.0)

Usually my recommended build for Warlock is: Warlock 4/ Binder 1/ Ur-Priest 2/ Eldritch Disciple 2/ Hellfire Warlock 3/ Eldritch Disciple 8. Hellfire, Dark Invocations, and 9th level spells. Be careful though, your DM may throw books at you.

Also don't forget little bonuses to UMD add up, especially if you want a familiar that uses wands. Circlet of Persuasion and a Masterwork Tool of UMD will increase your or your familiar's UMD by +5 fairly cheaply.

powerdemon
2010-10-12, 07:56 AM
a Masterwork Tool of UMD

What is that?

Quietus
2010-10-12, 08:51 AM
What is that?

Approximately 50 GP, listed as "masterwork tool" in the PHB. It suggests there can be masterwork tools for any skill, and I can't remember anyone suggestiong what one would be for UMD.. just that since there's a price, it exists.

true_shinken
2010-10-12, 09:53 AM

MrRigger

Nop. Rods of bodily restoration (MIC) are cheaper, more powerful and recharge every day.
Get a familiar to use'em.
Also, check my melee warlock handbook, it should have something useful even if you are not a melee warlock.

MrRigger
2010-10-12, 10:18 AM
Suppose I've learned something new then. I'll have to read the MIC again I guess.

MrRigger