PDA

View Full Version : The Winds of Winter (Team Stoat IC)

Pages : [1] 2

Grimlock
2010-10-11, 01:08 PM
The Winds of Winter

Autumn ends and Winter begins to stir. The lazy memory of Summer fades as the cold and the darkness creep forward to reclaim their place in the world. A gust from the North sends a chill across Lomand, reaching down to Farspire. It swirls and flicks....
Marrel
In his room, a halfling pours over magic tomes, trying to improveand develop his knowledge of his powers. Books are scattered all over the bed and floor. There is a knock at the door. He looks up startled. He cautiously walks to the door, lightning crackling round his fingers. He opens the door to see a gnome looking up at him. The Sorcerer Marrel? His Grace wishes to see you...

The chill blows on to...

River
Kneeling before a statue of the great Dragon himself, the cleric prays, pledging his power and strength to the service of Bahamut and asking the great god for adventure and the opportunity to prove himself again. He hears a cough, the tall minotaur stands and turns to see a young acolyte nervously wringing his hands, Uhmmm, sir, there are some men here with horses. They are waiting for you...His Grace wishes to see you...

With a swirl, the wind moves on, chasing the warm air...

Rhin
Through the window into the chambers of a smitten young lord. 3 or 4 empty wine bottles litter the floor, the remnants of a good meal are on the table. He stares at the woman before him, she smiles flirtishly, sipping a little wine while scanning the room with her eyes. She stands and slips into the seat next to him, when the door burst open. The young lord leaps to his feet, but his face drains when he sees the insignia. A huge bugbear stands in the dooway. He looks at Rhin. His Grace wishes to see you...

Once again the cold spreads, encompassing more of the city...

Gwenn
A small, cosy sitting room, the company of old friends and the pleasure of laughter and memories. The older woman sits opposite her companion, choking on a mouthful of wine as he reminds her of the time they faced down 23 kobolds with only a wooden. As the laughter dies, the old barkeeper leans forward, his face serious, I'm sorry Gwenn, His Grace wishes to see you...

The wind flashes, building up speed and ferocity...

Nurzhan
Tucked up in bed, the sleeping Half-Orc barely feels the cold. He dreams of his brother and daring dos. He twitches in his sleep and rolls over, his dreams darkening as the absence of his brother preys on his souls. A finger reaches out from the shadows and pokes the half-orc's shoulder... after a pause it pokes again. The sleeper's eyes flick open and a Shadar-Kai detatches itself from the shadows of his room and crouches down. Get up, His Grace wishes to see you...

At last the promise of Winter flits further round the city.

Kriv Anhram
The Dragonborn strides the streets of Farspire unable to sleep. His frustration seeps out into the set of his shoulders and the anger of his step. The feeling of helplessness and unffulfilled potential eat away at him. He hears a step behind him, he whirls and draws his sword to be confronted by a Dwarf holding up his hands. Kriv Anhram, come with me, His Grace wishes to see you...

For Everyone
His Grace, Benik Fallon, the Duke of Farspire. Spymaster, intelligencier and (if whispered rumours are to be believed), assassin. The second most powerful noble in the kingdom after King Villam II...some say the MOST powerful. Dedicated and ruthless, the Duke's network of spies and agents protect Lomand against enemies both domestic and foreign. He is a powerful and dangerous figure; if you have attracted his attention, then it is time to feel.....concerned

Viracocha
2010-10-11, 05:02 PM
Marrel, halfling Sorcerer

"His Grace?" he stammers. "Yes, Marrel is my name, but are you sure it is me he wants?"
What could he possibly want with me? How does he even know I exist?
"Very well then, let me just grab my things and I'll be with you in a moment."

Gillric
2010-10-11, 06:26 PM
River finishes his prayers and stands, turning to the acolyte, Help me collect my few possessions, I will depart at once.

Sploosh
2010-10-11, 08:50 PM
The Widow turns to look at the large burling figure in the doorway. No fear shows in her eyes, indeed, they sparkle with interest. That is, until his smell hits her and she turns her head in disgust.

After waving at the air, and giving the noble lord a disapproving glare, she turns back around.

"Oh?" one eyebrow raises. "What honor do I owe for that?" she askes sarcastically, before standing gracefully.

Aron Times
2010-10-11, 09:49 PM
Nurzhan wakes up with a yawn. "Do I have time to make myself presentable," he asks the messenger. If he does, then he will dress in formal clothing, nothing too expensive, of course. If not, then... Well he probably has time to change.

Nurzhan of the Oasis then follows the messenger to see the King.

deathpigeon
2010-10-11, 10:11 PM
Gwenn sighs. "Young man, you need to learn some manners, and to treat your elders with respect. When I was your age, I would have gotten whipped for such rudeness. Kids these days..." She leans on her cane and yawns.

Grimlock
2010-10-11, 11:32 PM
Marrel
The gnome takes a step back and waits patiently until the halfling gathesr up his belongings and then leads him out into the street and off towards the palace, moving at a quick pace for such a short figure.
River
Certainly sir, the acolyte bobs out of River's way, and follows him down the corridor, scurrying to keep up with his long strides. If you don't mind me asking sir...but what does His Grace want with you?
The Widow
The bugbear grins unpleasantly...Ohhh, it is a great honour I can tell you that much. You caught the Duke's attention some time ago...it's only now that he has the time or inclination to have anything to do with you. He leans forward, thrusting his face into hers We best not keep him waiting...
Nurzhan
Looking at the Half-Orc with great seriousness, the shadar-kai replies, His grace is very fastisidious with his appearance and apprecitates that in others...I don't think he'd like to see you naked. She pauses for a moment to think...Yes, it's probably best to get dressed in what ever you think appropriate. She sits back on her haunches and smiles brightly at Nurzhan.
Gwenn
I'm sorry for the bluntness Gwenn, but I didn't know how else to tell you. He sits back in his chair and sighs. He heard you were back in town, I don't know how he found out, but he did.One of his lot came to me this morning and gave me this. e pulls out a letter of marque bearing the Duke's seal. He wants you to do a job for him again.

Sploosh
2010-10-11, 11:55 PM
As the bugbear leans in far too closely for comfort, a single moment of fear passes over her exquisite features. The look of terror fades as quickly as it appeared though. She steeled her nerves with a single deep breath before putting on her best fake smile and cheerly taking the intimidating creature by the elbow in a gesture suited more to ballroom floors.

"Shall we?"

The Tygre
2010-10-12, 01:41 AM
"And what exactly does his grace want from me? I don't work for the state anymore."

Grimlock
2010-10-12, 02:04 AM
Kriv
His Grace does not confide in me sir. All I know is that he sent for you by name. THe dwarf lowers his hands slowly and looks about in what can only be descirbed as a conspiratorial manner. He steps closer to Kriv. What I can tell you though, is that you're not the only one whose presence the Duke has 'requested' tonight. A number of us were sent out with instructions to collect certain persons...dunno who though. He stops and gathers himself. Anyhow, doesn't do to keep His Grace waiting, not known for his patience.
The Widow
Taken slightly aback by the slender woman slipping her arm through his. The bugbear lets out a loud snort of laughter, Hah! I like you human, you have balls...so to speak! He gestures to the open door. After you...

deathpigeon
2010-10-12, 07:24 AM
Marrel
The gnome takes a step back and waits patiently until the halfling gathesr up his belongings and then leads him out into the street and off towards the palace, moving at a quick pace for such a short figure.
River
Certainly sir, the acolyte bobs out of River's way, and follows him down the corridor, scurrying to keep up with his long strides. If you don't mind me asking sir...but what does His Grace want with you?
The Widow
The bugbear grins unpleasantly...Ohhh, it is a great honour I can tell you that much. You caught the Duke's attention some time ago...it's only now that he has the time or inclination to have anything to do with you. He leans forward, thrusting his face into hers We best not keep him waiting...
Nurzhan
Looking at the Half-Orc with great seriousness, the shadar-kai replies, His grace is very fastisidious with his appearance and apprecitates that in others...I don't think he'd like to see you naked. She pauses for a moment to think...Yes, it's probably best to get dressed in what ever you think appropriate. She sits back on her haunches and smiles brightly at Nurzhan.
Gwenn
I'm sorry for the bluntness Gwenn, but I didn't know how else to tell you. He sits back in his chair and sighs. He heard you were back in town, I don't know how he found out, but he did.One of his lot came to me this morning and gave me this. e pulls out a letter of marque bearing the Duke's seal. He wants you to do a job for him again.

"I'll see what I can do." Gwenn excepts the letter, and opens it.

Viracocha
2010-10-12, 07:36 AM
Marrel

Could I be in trouble? But I haven't set fire to anything in months! Oh my, oh my, what did I get myself into?
Marrel fidgets a bit as he follows the gnome.

Gillric
2010-10-12, 08:14 AM
I have no idea what His Grace could want with me. I only just arrived in the area of the city recently from far away and this is my first visit. River quickly collects his few possessions and heads to speak to the head of the monastery to thank him for his hospitality and to let him know that he is leaving now.

Afterwards, River heads out to the road to join the men waiting for him.

Grimlock
2010-10-12, 09:17 AM
River
At the minotaur's answer the acolyte drifts away, quickly outpaced by the cleric's stride. As he descends the steps of the monastery, he sees three figures, two rather nervous looking young humans and an old grizzled dwarf with the air of a veteran.
The dwarf steps forward, We must make haste sir cleric, the Duke awaits and we must travel quickly. He hands the reigns of a horse to the minotaur and swings up into the saddle of his own. He looks amused at his young companions and glances t River,Don't mind the youn 'uns, not long been in his Grace's service. Once River is mounted they head off towards the palace and the city.
Marrel
The gnome looks behind him impatiently waiting for Marrel to catch up. C'm oooon! We don't have time for this. His Grace said it was urgent! I wouldn't want to be in your shoes if we're late. He leads the way to the palace, dashing psat the guards, waving a bit paper at them, which causes the guards to back off quickly and the gnome leads him into a less used part of the palace.

Gillric
2010-10-12, 09:21 AM
River swings himself astride the proffered mount and turns it to follow the dwarf. I know not who His Grace is or anything about him at all, would it be possible for you to provide me with some information while we ride?

deathpigeon
2010-10-12, 09:26 AM
Gwenn smiles, and her face seems to change. What at first looked kindly and nice, like the face of a grandma, now looks fierce and predatory. And her smile, what a smile. It looks more like the smile of a consummate killer than that of an old lady. She laughs, the sort of cackling laugh that sends shivers down your spine. She speaks, but her voice sounds different, more savage or animalistic, like a wolf on the hunt of a stag. "Why thank you Duke. I can't wait to begin. I'll tell him hello if I see him." Then she leaves, readopting th look of an old granny with a kind smile.

Grimlock
2010-10-12, 09:33 AM
River
Weeell, let me think, the dwarf settles into his saddle and as the pace picks up begins to fill River in with what details he knows. I've been in service to the crown for 60 years and his Grace has been 'ere far longer than I. I know that he served as advisor to the last king, that's Villam's father, and I believe it was Villam's grandfather, (the old King Tolrad), who made the dwarf Duke of Farspire. I know he was the brains behind the truce with Rekjavan, although his majesty played his part as well bless him, the dwarf touches his forelock in respect to the king. Although fiercely loyal to the crown, I reckon His Grace is a nasty piece of work. I don't reckon there's nothin' he wouldn't do to protect Lomand. he glances around, as if scared they may be over heard, even on moving horses, he 'as eyes and ears everywhere and trusts no-one...they say he's nifty with a dagger, but I ain't never seen that, I've served the Duke personally for 6 years now and he only has the kingdom's best at 'eart, but he'll tell you what he wants you to know!

Gillric
2010-10-12, 09:40 AM
Thank you sir dwarf for the information you have provided me. How long do you expect it to be before we reach our destination?
So, his grace is a dwarf. Good to know, I wonder what he could want with me?

Italics is what River thinks to himself

Viracocha
2010-10-12, 09:54 AM
Marrel

"I'm coming as fast as I can! Er, umm, do you know why he wants to see me?"

Aron Times
2010-10-12, 10:58 AM
Nurzhan dresses in a light blue formal outfit that complements his greenish complexion. He opts not to wear a hat, and he also decides to leave his sword behind. There probably won't be a fight tonight. He follows the messenger to the palace/castle/mansion/whatever.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee136/Joseph_Silver/Dungeons%20and%20Dragons/Xanos_Messarmos.jpg

Grimlock
2010-10-12, 12:28 PM
Gwenn
The old Woman slips out of the door and, hugging the shadows makes her way to the palace. She finds Farspire hasn't changed all thatmuch since she was last here and relies on her memory to guide her. As she approaches the gate to the palace, two soldiers step forward. What do you want you old crone? There be nothin' for you here. His friend snickers in the background. Get yourself back home and cone again tomorrow, what makes you think there be anythin' for the likesof you here?
River
The mile passes quickly and soon the riders pass through the Lion Gate and River sees the palace rising up above the houses. The dwarf leads him to a stables to the side of the palace and, while the younger men take the horses, ushers River inside.

Grimlock
2010-10-12, 12:41 PM
Marrel
For the first time, the gnome stops dead in his tracks and turns, his eyes wide. What makes you think the Duke of Farspirewould confide withone such as I? Placing his hand upon his chest, I carry out His Grace's orders to the letter. I don't need to know why, just what! Oh look, you're making us late. he dashes off down the corridor, leading Marrel deeper intothe palace.
Nurzhan
Oooh, veeerrry nice, said the Shadar-Kai, admiring the rather dapper looking Half-Orc. Well, you won't show me up at the palace! C'mon, let's go! she grabshis hand and drags him out the door, setting off towards the palace at speed. She leads him down a bewildering series of back streets, before coming to a small door. It opens after a complicated series of knocks, and Nurzhan is pulled inside and along a cobweb infested corridor. As they burst out into a larger passageway, Nurzhan sees a gnome almost sprinting along the corridor, being followed by a rather worried looking halfling.

deathpigeon
2010-10-12, 12:42 PM
Gwenn
The old Woman slips out of the door and, hugging the shadows makes her way to the palace. She finds Farspire hasn't changed all thatmuch since she was last here and relies on her memory to guide her. As she approaches the gate to the palace, two soldiers step forward. What do you want you old crone? There be nothin' for you here. His friend snickers in the background. Get yourself back home and cone again tomorrow, what makes you think there be anythin' for the likesof you here?
River
The mile passes quickly and soon the riders pass through the Lion Gate and River sees the palace rising up above the houses. The dwarf leads him to a stables to the side of the palace and, while the younger men take the horses, ushers River inside.

She smiles nicely, but if the guards didn't know better, it might look to them a bit creepy, like she was going to attack them, "I think that you might want to get out of my way, young man. Though you might not, think that is. Now get out of my way."

Intimidate [roll0]

Grimlock
2010-10-12, 01:56 PM
Gwenn
Taken aback by the Gwenn's slightly sinister expression the soldier, possibly embarrassed by the presence of his fellow guard and not wanting to seem a wuss, lans forward. Be you threatenin' me old woman? Be you thinkin' that wise? I ain't gonna stand for no cheek from the likes o' you. He puts his hand on the hilt of his sword, Now, clear off you old bag!

Gillric
2010-10-12, 01:59 PM
So this is the palace? Well, take me to His Grace, no sense in wasting time.

The Tygre
2010-10-12, 04:28 PM
Kriv snorts. "Fine, lead the way. but 'his Grace' had better have a good reason for this."

deathpigeon
2010-10-12, 04:48 PM
Gwenn
Taken aback by the Gwenn's slightly sinister expression the soldier, possibly embarrassed by the presence of his fellow guard and not wanting to seem a wuss, lans forward. Be you threatenin' me old woman? Be you thinkin' that wise? I ain't gonna stand for no cheek from the likes o' you. He puts his hand on the hilt of his sword, Now, clear off you old bag!

She laughs cheerily, No, I am not threatening you, should I be?"

Sploosh
2010-10-12, 06:18 PM
The Widow begins to navigate towards the palace. Her mind races though the reasons of the summoning and their potential concequences. Her eyes scan the brute next to her, attempting to spot a weakness in case a need to subdue him should arrise.

Viracocha
2010-10-12, 07:42 PM
Marrel

Marrel follows the gnome, so deep in thought that he almost walks into people, stammering an apology each time.

Aron Times
2010-10-12, 09:08 PM
Marrel
Nurzhan
Oooh, veeerrry nice, said the Shadar-Kai, admiring the rather dapper looking Half-Orc. Well, you won't show me up at the palace! C'mon, let's go! she grabshis hand and drags him out the door, setting off towards the palace at speed. She leads him down a bewildering series of back streets, before coming to a small door. It opens after a complicated series of knocks, and Nurzhan is pulled inside and along a cobweb infested corridor. As they burst out into a larger passageway, Nurzhan sees a gnome almost sprinting along the corridor, being followed by a rather worried looking halfling.

"This isn't the palace," noted Nur. "Where exactly are we headed?"

((Clarification: It is a duke, right?))

Grimlock
2010-10-13, 05:06 AM
River
The dwarf leads the cleric into the palace, avoiding the more populated areas, until they reach a long almost disused looking corridor. As they hurry along, the minotaur sees two diminutive figures ahead of him and a half-orc and Shadar-kai lurking in an off-shoot of the corridor. Hmh, grunts the dwarf, It looks like some of the others are already here. He leads River down the corridor until they reach a rather innocuous looking door which a halfling and gnome are standing next to.
Marrel
He heads after the gnome, so wrapped up in his own thoughts that he doesn't really know where abouts in the palace he is. Before he knows it, Marrel walks into the back of the gnome who had stopped outside a door, nearly knocking him flying. Hey watch it! complained the gnome, Well, here we are...and we're first he says, with more than a hint of smugness in his voice. He raises a small fist to knock when he disturbed by the arrival of a soldier leading a huge minotaur.
Kriv
Alright, alright, calm down. Although I would recommend that you DON'T speak to the Duke in the same way you have spoken to me. With that the dwarf turns, huffing indignantly about Kriv's rudeness, and leads the dragonborn towards the palace. As they wind their way throught the streets, Kriv notices the unusual sight of an attractive human woman woman being escorted by a huge bugbear. At that moment, the dwarf also spies them and nods to the bugbear, Wemmik, I see you have your 'guest'. I hope she has better manners than this one! he points to Kriv over his shoulder. The bugbear says nothing, but a large grin spreads over his face at the dwarf's discomfort.
The Widow
Rhin's appraisal of the bugbear is that she probably could take him down, but it wouldn't be easy. The large creature, leads her out of the estate and onto the sreets, steering her towards the palace. As the slip through busy-ish streets, she sees a surly looking dwarf being followed by an impressive dragonborn. Suddenly the pair cross over to them, Wemmik, I see you have your 'guest'. I hope she has better manners than this one!. Her companion says nothing, but merely grins down at the dwarf and Rhin can see the amusement flash in his eyes.
Kriv and The Widow
The party of four move towards the palace, then slip down a side street and through a small door into a dusty corridor, ahead they see a shadar-kai yanking a half-orc into the main corridor. They follow.
Nurzhan
Ooooh, you silly thing, this IS the palace... I just hate using the main gate. She shudders, All those people watching you, it's creepy! Suddenly she notices the others. Look, some of the guys are here. With that, she yanks Nurzhan into the corridor, There's Senton...hi Senton... she waves at the dwarf escorting River, then in a whisper to Nurzhan, and the gnome, he's Luca, he's sooooooo fussy, it's really funny to wind him up! She leads her charge to the door with the others.
Yes he is a Duke
Gwenn
Uhhhh....what? the guard looks and sounds confused by Gwenn's question...and by the fact she is clearly not scared of him. As he pulls himself upto his full height, his companion nudges him and they both come to attention. A tall, gaunt Teifling steps out of the shadows, and smiles warmly at Gwenn.Gwenn, how good to see you again, it has been far too long. He turns to the guards and his demeanor changes. You're lucky this woman did not take offense at your tone, if she had, you would not still be standing! He turns back to ther, His Grace is waiting for you. At the mention of the Duke, the guards go even paler and the Tiefling smiles, gesturing for Gwenn to preceed him into the palace.
Gwenn- You know the Teifling from the last time you worked for the Duke. His name is Rheen and you got on well!

Gillric
2010-10-13, 06:41 AM
So, I am not the only one summoned in such a hurry. I wonder what is going on. River strides to the door and then stepping back to the side, stands comfortably and surveys his surroundings.

deathpigeon
2010-10-13, 07:22 AM
Gwenn smiles happily, and follows Rheen. "Rheen! Its been a while. We must get together later and talk. Its so nice to see you!"

Viracocha
2010-10-13, 07:24 AM
Marrel

Marrel gawks at those approaching, wondering why he would be called here with such an assortment of beings.

Grimlock
2010-10-13, 11:57 AM
Gwenn
Yes, we must catch up. Do you still drink so much tea? Rheen shudders. I don't know how you humans drink so much of the stuff. Ah, here we are. I shall see you shortly Gwenn. As they chatted, the pair had approached the rather disparate group. The Teifling nodded to the other 'escorts', walked up to the door, knocked once and went in, closing the door behind him.

Sploosh
2010-10-13, 12:28 PM
"You didn't tell me we were having a party." Rhin whispers to her hairy friend. She flashes a small smile and winks at the Dragonborn.

deathpigeon
2010-10-13, 01:52 PM
Gwenn
Yes, we must catch up. Do you still drink so much tea? Rheen shudders. I don't know how you humans drink so much of the stuff. Ah, here we are. I shall see you shortly Gwenn. As they chatted, the pair had approached the rather disparate group. The Teifling nodded to the other 'escorts', walked up to the door, knocked once and went in, closing the door behind him.

"Why yes I do. You see this container," she points to the bottle on her backpack, "that's tea right there that I made in case I went somewhere with out any tea. Thanks for taking me here."

Aron Times
2010-10-13, 02:16 PM
"I am Nurzhan of the Oasis," said the half-orc, introducing himself. He is of above average height and well-built, dressed in a formal blue outfit that accentuates his greenish skin tone. A pair of eyeglasses hang from his collar, and he appears unarmed. "Most people call me Nur." He looks around at the multiracial group gathered. "I guess all of us were summoned by the Duke?"

Sploosh
2010-10-13, 02:39 PM
"Yes, it looks like we are all "guests" of his." replies the shadowy woman, dressed in dark silks.

deathpigeon
2010-10-13, 04:23 PM
"Yes, yes we are. I remember the first time the Duke called me here. I was so excited, and when I got here everyone treated me with the utmost respect. Times sure have changed..." Says the old woman who looks like she could be your grandma, if you are/were human, that is.

The Tygre
2010-10-13, 05:00 PM
"I was summoned as well. I wasn't aware that we were going to be having such a... (Awkwardly noting Rhin's looks) interesting gathering. I had assumed that I was just being called for my work on the guard."

Sploosh
2010-10-13, 07:51 PM
Her eyes twinkle at the attention.

Grimlock
2010-10-14, 09:33 AM
As you all converse and observe each other, the remaining escorts watch you all carefully as if memorising details about each of you. They watch not only the 'guest' they brought with them, but also the other members of the disparate group and how you are interacting.
The door open and the Teifling reappears. He looks at each of the escorts in turn, nods once and speaks, His Grace thanks you, back to your duties. In a flurry of movement those who had brought you here disappear, leaving only the gaunt Teifling standing in the doorway. As you look at him you notice a physical confidence and bearing of command- as if used to being obeyed quickly and without question. His clear leadership over the others highlights the authority he wields. His gaze turns to each of you, His Grace will see you now! He steps back through the door and gracefully slips to one side, allowing you to enter the room.
A fire flickers in the corner, driving away the first real chill of the year. Inside you see shelves stacked high with neatly arranged scrolls and sheaves of paper. A groaning bookcase stands against one wall, but what dominates the room is a huge table with a map of Lomand unfurled upon it; hanging on the walls, a detailed map of Farspire itself; gathered round the table are 7 chairs. Standing behind the table, pouring over the map is a slender, diminutive figure. His clothes are plain, yet clearly of the highest quality- the colours shift and dance in the light from the fire.
As you enter, the dwarf looks up; a harsh, clean-shaven face regards each of you; cold, steel grey eyes gaze out impassively from beneath dark brows. He looks to the Teifling. Thankyou Rheen, leave us now. Rheen nods and slips out, shutting the door behind him.
The gaze turns back to you all, pausing briefly on Gwenn. Please, sit.

Gillric
2010-10-14, 09:39 AM
River offers his arm to Gwenn to escort her to a chair, then proceeds to seat himself. Once seated, he addresses "His Grace", Forgive me if I seem rude, but why have we been summoned here with such haste?

Viracocha
2010-10-14, 09:45 AM
Marrel

Marrel hops onto one of the chairs and gazes in wonderment at all the knowledge that must surely be held in those tomes and scrolls.

The Tygre
2010-10-14, 11:08 AM
Kriv pulls up a chair, taking stock of the room. His eyes fall to the map, and he almost instinctively starts tracing old patrol routes and battle sites. The dragonborn asks, "I was wondering the same thing myself. I told your man; I don't work officially anymore."

Sploosh
2010-10-14, 11:58 AM
Rhin quietly slips into the chair closest to the exit. Her arms rest on her legs, feeling the reassuring feel of the dagger's hilt under the dress. Her eyes take in the others and their misplaced wonder and curiousity.

deathpigeon
2010-10-14, 12:09 PM
Gwenn sits down and waits for the Duke to speak.

Aron Times
2010-10-14, 01:02 PM
Nur sits down.

Grimlock
2010-10-14, 04:06 PM
As you enter the room and sit, the Duke tucks his hands behind his back . He looks at Kriv, and gives an unpleasant smile, Come Anhram, you never truly leave the service of your country do you? Where is your sense of loyalty? Some of you I know by reputation, some I have been keeping a close eye on for the last few years, at this he glances at Rhin and then takes long look at Gwenn, other's have been in my ... 'service'... before.
He turns to the minotaur, To answer your question River, Lomand has need of your services and your loyalty. As he says this, he looks at each of you in turn, holding your gaze. As you all know, a truce with Rekjavan was achieved through the hard work of our king 6 years ago, what you may not know is that truce is close to breaking. Diplomatic relations have become...difficult. My network is stetched thin, investigating the causes of this ... 'unrest'. Lomand cannot cope with another war, we simply are not ready. This truce must last, at least for the near future. To make matters worse, unrest along the border is causing dissent in the west of Lomand, particularly in and around the town of Winningham, four or five days ride from here. Certain figures are making life difficult for servants of the crown and for the town's civilians. I have sent agents, but my people are exhausted and struggling to contain this upheaval. The agent I sent has not reported back. I need you to find him and discover what is happening in Winningham. His eyes flick to Nurzhan for a moment. My agent's name is Melisizwe , a swordmage in my employ. He pauses and takes a sip of wine from the glass on the table. He sits and steeples his fingers, peering over the top of them at you all. Each of you were chosen because of your unique skills and because I know you can be trusted, either through a sense of duty, a desire for reward, adventure, a purpose, knoweldge. I have a need for people such as you.

Sploosh
2010-10-14, 04:48 PM
The Widow's eyes narrow at the news. "Excuse me, Duke, but your pretty little speech has a few problems. I'm sure it sounded lovely in front of your mirror, though.

First off, we're not all patriots. You said you've been watching us, and I appreciate the oggling but that doesn't mean I've been watching you. I don't give a moment's thought about you, or your agents or your little war.

If you want to entice someone with a reward then you need to tell them what it is. What's in it for me?

Secondly, your problem seems to be these "certain figures". I'd like to know a little bit more about these risks before I go off walking out to your agent and whatever else you have on your little list. My life is a rotten piece of fruit, but I don't plan to just give that up for my some half brained sense of loyalty."

Gillric
2010-10-14, 05:45 PM
I would not call myself a patriot by any stretch, but if evil is in need of someone to oppose it I will answer the call without the need for a petty reward unlike this shallow creature who is only motivated by wealth.

Sploosh
2010-10-14, 05:47 PM
"I would not call you a patriot either. I would call you a talking cow in a dress."

Gillric
2010-10-14, 06:05 PM
You are given an opportunity to prevent your homeland from falling into a state of brutal war and all you care about is your reward? Then yes, I would call you a shallow creature only motivated by wealth. As far as me being a "talking cow in a dress", I was not aware of the point where a simple pair of riding breaches and a warm tunic came to constitute a dress.

Aron Times
2010-10-14, 06:19 PM
Nur ignores the bickering to ponder what he had just heard. "My twin brother, Mel, working for you, milord? He didn't do anything wrong, did he?" Mel never told Nur much about his adventures. And now Nur knew why Mel was missing. "I would've offered my services if asked, whether or not Mel was involved. After all, it is a citizen's duty to his liege."

Sploosh
2010-10-14, 06:26 PM
"My appologies. A talking cow in pants."

Viracocha
2010-10-14, 08:12 PM
Marrel

Marrel sits with a stupid look on his face trying to digest what he has heard. He completely ignores the quarreling people. Me? Go out adventuring and try to prevent a war? Oh dear, this is way over my head.

The Tygre
2010-10-15, 01:00 AM
Kriv slams his rather large fist down on the table, bellowing, "Quiet! Both of you!" He glares at the minotaur and the rogue before turning back to the Duke and asking, "Now why us? Why not just send a scout, or hire a mage to see this little town for yourself? You have the money to do it; I can tell just from looking at your home."

Sploosh
2010-10-15, 01:01 AM
Rhin quiets up, shocked at the outburst.

Grimlock
2010-10-15, 07:38 AM
In the silence of the dragonborn's outburst, Duke Fallon stands and moves round the table to stand directly in front of them. His eyes take in Kriv's massive form, Master Anhram, what I ask of you is too much for an individual to accomplish alone. Yes I could send a scout or a mage, but they would have to report back to me. I need people who are prepared to act independently for the good of Lomand. Your past record proves you are able to act on your initiative, all of you are. I would hope that all of you here would see that no-one benefits from a war at this stage. He turns his eyes to Rhin and the stare hardens. If it is reward you want? Then your name can be cleared of 'suspected' crimes and the unwanted attention of certain Farspire nobility can be dealt with. I am also generous to those who serve their country well. Is that enough for you? He leans back against the table. I recruited Melisizwe when he caught my eye at the Office of Exploration and Acquisitions. I approached him a year ago and he proved himself to be a reliable agent. That is one of the reasons I sent him to Winningham. It is a messy business, a local crime lord, one Soltan de Habre, has become bold, and the govenor in Winningham seems unable or unwilling to do anything about it. From Melisizwe's last report it seems that de Habre is essentially running the town, extoring money and supplies from it and surrounding areas. It started on a small scale 3 or 4 months ago, and I would expect local authorities to stamp down on a petty crime boss- but he has flourished. With all the problems with Rekjavan I considered it a low priority...my error. I do not know what has happened there. I got an initial report and nothing else. I cannot spare any more of my people. They are stretched too thin as it is. I need unknown's who I know I can trust to act in the Lomand's best interests. I did not choose any of you lightly. Although I appeal to your sense of duty, your service will be well rewarded also. He stands again, You must... he pauses for a moment and his tone softens slightly. King Villam, requests your help. Winningham must be dealt with. Such bold criminal activity cannot be allowed to continue, nor can such a lax attitude in the authorites; the govenor of Winningham is failing his people. I would also ask that you find out what has befallen my agent!

Gillric
2010-10-15, 08:07 AM
As Bahamut wills, I will aid you in defeating this evil.

Viracocha
2010-10-15, 08:12 AM
Marrel

Well, what do I have to lose? Having finished the apprenticeship, I must find something else to do, and maybe it'll give me a chance to use some of my spells... It'll be brilliant, the lightning, "Thunder!", he bursts out as he jumps to the floor. "Er, I mean, yes, I'll do it." He sheepishly sits back on his chair, horrified that he let his mind wander so much.

deathpigeon
2010-10-15, 08:31 AM
Marrel

Well, what do I have to lose? Having finished the apprenticeship, I must find something else to do, and maybe it'll give me a chance to use some of my spells... It'll be brilliant, the lightning, "Thunder!", he bursts out as he jumps to the floor. "Er, I mean, yes, I'll do it." He sheepishly sits back on his chair, horrified that he let his mind wander so much.

Gwenn walks up to him, "Young man, this is no joking matter, the Duke himself has asked you for a favor, and you treat it like a joke! Kids these days..."

Aron Times
2010-10-15, 08:47 AM
"I have already pledged my services to this cause," declared Nur. "What about you, gentlemen?"

The Tygre
2010-10-15, 01:16 PM
Kriv eyes the duke and snorts out, "Very well. I'll do it."

Sploosh
2010-10-15, 01:28 PM
Her eyes widen at his remarks. She cannot however pass up the oppurtunity he provides. "Fine", she sighs.

Grimlock
2010-10-15, 01:55 PM
The Duke smiles, I am pleased, but first... He lifts a collection of packages off the table. These are Letters of Marque bearing my seal. They allow you to act on my orders and dispense the king's justice. You will need them. The stables will be available to any who do not have a mount, for Winningham is several days ride to the west. There are rooms available here at the palace for any who want them, or if you prefer to return to your own quarters feel free. His voice hardens again. This is a matter of urgency, please return to the palace tomorrow morning with all you need you need to make a swift start. If there are any further questions please feel free to ask, if not I bid you a good night and will see you tomorrow

Gillric
2010-10-15, 02:08 PM
I will take you up on your offer of lodging and a mount. Good night, I will be ready to depart at first light tomorrow.

Viracocha
2010-10-15, 02:12 PM
Marrel

"I'll return to my lodgings as I'm not prepared for departing and need to settle my affairs with the family hosting me. I'd appreciate some kind of mount for one of my stature for when I return in the morning."

Grimlock
2010-10-15, 02:18 PM
The Duke crosses to a bell pull, pulls it and shortly Rheen re-enters. Yes, Your Grace?
Please see that those who require a room are escorted there and provided with food and drink. The Teifling bows and gestures for any who wish to to follow him. Where you are lead to plain, but spacious rooms to spend the night.

OOCIf anyone has any other questions etc etc, feel free to ask and the Duke will hang around for a bit longer! :smallsmile:

Sploosh
2010-10-15, 02:19 PM
Rhin takes the letter, and departs for the stable. She rides off to gather her things and digest the sudden turn of events.

Aron Times
2010-10-15, 03:43 PM
Nurzhan heads back to his house to get his stuff. He packs a few changes of clothes into his backpack as well as other necessities. His new leather armor fit him well, providing just the right balance between protection and maneuverability to let him use sword and spell.

Tomorrow couldn't come fast enough...

deathpigeon
2010-10-15, 04:15 PM
Gwenn takes her letter, smiles, and merrily trots off to the tavern she rented a room at, her hand gripping her cane more vigorously than before.

The Tygre
2010-10-16, 03:35 AM
Kriv wordlessly departs. He heads back for his lonely, single room house. A gush of air leaves the room as he enters his home. The dragonborn lights a candle before he starts packing supplies for his trip. It's kind of exciting; going out on the trail at last. He might very well see war after all. Kriv offers thanks to Bahamut for the opportunity, a slight mutter of a prayer really, before he finishes packing. The dragonborn lies down in his bed and tries to drift off to sleep.

Grimlock
2010-10-18, 09:22 AM
The night passes... Winter's grasp becomes slightly firmer as the chill deepens. The sun rises and each of you rise with it. For those staying at the palace; you are awoken by a quiet knock, followed by a tray of breakfast. After you have eaten you make your way down to the stables.
For those staying in their own lodgings, you also arise, but are greeted by whatever you have paid for in the breakfast department. As you make your way to the palace, you brandish your Letters of Marque and the guards wave you through.

All of you make your way through the quiet palace, only encountering servants going about their early morning chores. As you approach the stables you find Duke Fallon and the Teifling, Rheen, waiting for you.
Good morning, I am glad to see you all again. You have a few days ride ahead of you, so please meet your mounts. As the Duke speaks, Rheen glides inside the stables; five horses are lead out by grooms and given to each of; Kriv, Gwenn, Nur, River and Rhin. These are all reliable steeds, although not combat trained, they will not shy in battle and will carry you far. He turns to Marrel, You young halfling will have this to ride. Lastly a small shaggy pony is brought out. She may not look the noblest creature, but her heart is strong and is fierce! Are there any further questions before you set off for Winningham?

OOC For Everyone
Sorry for any Godmodding, wanted to move things along If you wish to doanythign different, tell me and I'll retcon it! Also, please feel free to name your horses! :smallsmile:

Gillric
2010-10-18, 10:23 AM
Thank you for providing breakfast and a mount. River walks over to the horse provided for him and gives it an apple before he mounts.

Lets get underway, no sense in wasting daylight. River then turns his horse towards the exit from the stables and sets off at a walk.

The Tygre
2010-10-18, 12:32 PM
With a grunt, Kriv gets on his horse. He tells the tiefling, "Your Lord has my thanks for the mount. Follow close, you lot." Kriv follows after River, moving not too fast but not too slow.

Sploosh
2010-10-18, 12:36 PM
The Widow gracefully mounts her steed. "Well then, lets get this over with." She waits to depart with the others.

Viracocha
2010-10-18, 12:41 PM
Marrel

"Hello fella!" Marrel pats the pony on her flank. He stows his belongings into saddle bags and hops on, determined not to be the last one in line.

deathpigeon
2010-10-18, 03:36 PM
Gwenn says, "Could you help this old lady onto her horse young man?" to no one in particular.

The Tygre
2010-10-18, 04:29 PM
Kriv breathes heavily through his nostrils. He turns his horse around back into the stable and dismounts. Patiently, but steadily, he helps Gwenn onto her horse before remounting his own.

Aron Times
2010-10-18, 04:30 PM
Nurzhan names his horse Glow.

Grimlock
2010-10-21, 09:37 AM
You set off into the West, leaving through the "Watchfull Gate" and head towards Winningham. As you ride through the countryside you see signs of winter driving away a hot autumn; harvests have been collected and log piles are forming already for the onlsaught of winter.
Your first day of travel is uneventful and as night beckons you approach the small hamlet of Taunton; your letter's of marque allow you to charge a night's food and lodging to the crown. The following morning you head off early and continue your ride. You quickly leave the hamlet behind and enter the long empty ride to Winningham.
As you ride you notice small crofter's cottages and isolated farmsteads, but the land to the West of Farspire is less densley populated than the East and South, leaving it more 'untamed', more akin to the North of Lomand.
The morning passes, turning to late afternoon...

OOC-
Feel free to rp anything that is happening/has happened, eg the night you spent in Taunton

Gillric
2010-10-21, 10:03 AM
In the interest of moving things along, I am just going to keep going from where we are

River turns in the saddle and calls out to the others We are being tracked by wolves, I fear something evil is at work here as they are not known to follow large well equipped groups of adventurer's. Not to mention that it is strange for them to be this far south at this time of year.

The Tygre
2010-10-21, 11:15 AM
"How do you know? I haven't heard any calls or seen any tracks in the area."

Gillric
2010-10-21, 12:17 PM
I have knowledge of natural things, I can sense them out there.

Viracocha
2010-10-21, 12:20 PM
Marrel

"Wolves? I don't like the sound of that." He pats the pony's neck. "Easy girl, everything will be ok."

deathpigeon
2010-10-21, 12:27 PM
"Oh no wolves! What ever am I to do!" She cries, acting panicked while calmly dismounting.

Sploosh
2010-10-21, 01:29 PM
"Why are you dismounting? Wolves are following us and they probably can't keep pace with horses if we hustle. We should be moving not stopping."

deathpigeon
2010-10-21, 01:33 PM
"Why are you dismounting? Wolves are following us and they probably can't keep pace with horses if we hustle. We should be moving not stopping."

"No, no. I'm an old lady, high speed chases are just not for me. I would rater wait here and hide while you guys go ahead. I could meet up with you later."

The Tygre
2010-10-21, 05:11 PM
"... You can't possibly be serious. Let me see if I can grasp your logic. Rather than the mild risk of staying on a fast moving horse, your going to attempt to hide, on foot no less, from a pack of magical wolves? Then, somehow, you're going to track us while still avoiding the wolves and whatever else lies between us and our mission, alone and horseless. Would I be correct?"

deathpigeon
2010-10-21, 05:15 PM
"... You can't possibly be serious. Let me see if I can grasp your logic. Rather than the mild risk of staying on a fast moving horse, your going to attempt to hide, on foot no less, from a pack of magical wolves? Then, somehow, you're going to track us while still avoiding the wolves and whatever else lies between us and our mission, alone and horseless. Would I be correct?"

"Now, now, young man, don't worry about me, off you go." She smacks his horse to get it moving before anyone else tries to think to much.

Sploosh
2010-10-21, 05:17 PM
Letting out a sigh, she gives her horse a kick. "Lets go, we don't have time for this. I was not hired to babysit."

The Tygre
2010-10-21, 05:30 PM
Kriv snorts out in exasperation, steam puffing from his nostrils. Still, it's evident that he's worried, though he wouldn't say so. He lets his horse move on, getting it up to a gallop so as to outrun the wolves.

Gillric
2010-10-21, 07:17 PM
River brings his mount to a halt and brings it around to be near the older woman, he then dismounts. I'm sorry my lady, but I can not leave you to face the wolves alone.

deathpigeon
2010-10-21, 09:01 PM
River brings his mount to a halt and brings it around to be near the older woman, he then dismounts. I'm sorry my lady, but I can not leave you to face the wolves alone.

"No, no. I'll be fine hiding on my own. More people mean its harder to hide, right?"

Aron Times
2010-10-23, 12:54 PM
Nur turns to Gwenn. "If we are going to work with each other, we need to know each other's plans. If we're in a life and death situation right now, I need to know. We need to know." He places a hand on the pommel of his sword. "What are you planning?"

deathpigeon
2010-10-24, 04:15 AM
Nur turns to Gwenn. "If we are going to work with each other, we need to know each other's plans. If we're in a life and death situation right now, I need to know. We need to know." He places a hand on the pommel of his sword. "What are you planning?"

"I already told you, I'm planning on hiding."

Grimlock
2010-10-24, 03:27 PM
You hear the baying of the wolves as they get closer! They have clearly decided that the hunt has passed and the time to attack and feed has come.

OOC
In OOC thread a map is up to place yourselves or run as the case may be!

The Tygre
2010-10-24, 03:39 PM
Kriv (at G-25), angrily growls, "Old woman there's an entire pack of wolves coming this way. They're here, this very second, and they're not going to leave until they've eaten. Now you can either tell us your plan or I'll drag you to Winningham myself!"

Sploosh
2010-10-24, 03:41 PM
"Even if you drag her, they're too close now. We might as well kill them. Besides, she'd probably struggle the entire way."

The Tygre
2010-10-24, 03:44 PM
"Fie! Swords out, then! The only good wolf is a dead wolf!"

deathpigeon
2010-10-24, 04:48 PM
She sighs, "I was hoping it wouldn't come to this, but I suppose this is as good a time as any..."

Sploosh
2010-10-25, 01:35 PM
The Widow spurs her horse to the wolves she sees behind them. Her frustration with her companions is replaced by cold calculations of the battle ahead.

Taking advantage of the momentum, she draws a viciously spiked chain and lashes out at the leader of the pack. Her chain connecting solidly with its head.

"Come on, then!" she shouts, more at the wolves than to her companions. She rears her horse and spins her weapon menacingly.

Grimlock
2010-10-25, 02:44 PM
Rhin races her horse towards the western pack of wolves, sneering at the snarling beasts and the swings her chain. The weapons snakes out and hits the beast's head. A spray of blood spurts out adn the wolf collapses, dead!
Wolves
Wolves-
7- DEAD! :smallmad:
Map
Stoat map (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54987216@N05/5115488876/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

deathpigeon
2010-10-25, 07:04 PM
Gwenn draws her sword from her cane, and rushes up to wolf 3 (J22). With deadly precision, she viciously attacks the wolf, and she yells, "Granny's home!"

Sure Strike:
To Hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Grimlock
2010-10-26, 08:07 AM
Gwenn sword's lashes out, but the wolf dodges and snarls up at her.
((River next))
Players

Rhin- 22/22
Gwenn-27/27
River-22/22
Kriv- 22/22
Marrel- 23/23
Nurzhan- 25/25
Initiative-
Rhin- 26
Gwenn- 19
River- 19
Mini-pack 1- 15
Kriv-12
Marrel- 12
Mini-pack 2- 9
Nur- 3

Gillric
2010-10-26, 08:47 AM
River turns his gaze upon wolf 4 and defies his presence here.

Gaze of Defiance | At-Will | Ranged 5 | [roll0] vs Will | [roll1] psychic damage |

On a hit, allies gain a +1 power bonus to attack rolls against the target until the end of your next turn. If the target attacks you before the end of your next turn, the bonus increases to +3.

The Tygre
2010-10-27, 01:07 PM
D'oh! Out of initiative order.

Grimlock
2010-10-27, 01:40 PM
River turns his gaze to the wolf and tries to force the wolf to cower, but alas the wolf ignores his burning gaze!
The southern pack of wolves burst into motion, bounding round the trees and going for the party. One wolf peels away and flanks Gwenn with the pack mage the old fighter attacked. Two others head for the sword-mage and one makes a run for River, but just falls short. against Gwenn, one wolf's attack is turned by her armour, the other bites a chunk out of her flesh. The two attacking Nurzhan fair little better, one finds its teeth parried by the half-orc's sword, the other sinks its fangs into his leg
Wolves-

Wolf 1 Move to J21
Bite attack against Gwenn’s AC- [roll0] with CA
Damage- [roll1]
Wolf 3-
Bite attack againstGwenn’s AC- [roll2] with CA
Damage- [roll3]
Wolf 5 Move to H23
Wolf 2 Move to G26
Bite attack against Nur’s AC- [roll4]
Damage- [roll5]
Wolf 4 Move to G25
Bite attack against Nur’s AC- [roll6]
Damage- [roll7]

Initiative
Rhin- 26
Gwenn- 19
River- 19
Mini-pack 1- 15
Kriv-12-------Current player
Marrel- 12
Mini-pack 2- 9
Nur- 3
PCs
A4- Rhin- 22/22
J22- Gwenn-16/27
F23- River-22/22
G21- Kriv- 22/22
D25- Marrel- 23/23
F25- Nurzhan- 16/25
Map
Stoat map (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54987216@N05/5120789929/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

The Tygre
2010-10-27, 03:19 PM
Kriv raises his sword, howling, "Forward, men! Put these dogs down!" His voice resonates through all nearby, like the gong of a church bell.

OOC
Using Commander's Strike on Nurzhan.

Viracocha
2010-10-27, 03:19 PM
Marrel

"Oh dear! Wolves! Let's get somewhere safer, old girl" They gallop around the building and under a tree.
Move: -A21
He calls down the stars on the wolves near Nurzhan, then redoubles his efforts and calls a whirlwind around Gwenn, leaving her unscathed.
Standard Action (Blazing Starfall): Area burst 1 centered on H25, attack: G25 [roll0] vs Ref, G26 [roll1] vs Ref; hit: [roll2] radiant damage.
Action Point (Whirlwind): Area burst 1 centered on J22; attack: J21 [roll3] vs Fort, J23 [roll4] vs Fort; hit [roll5] and the wolves are knocked prone.

Grimlock
2010-10-31, 12:09 PM
At Kriv’s command, Nurzhan lashes out with his sword, but narrowly misses as the wolf twists out of the way and the blade flashes by. Concerned at the approaching wolves, Marrel urges his mount into the cover of the nearby trees. He turns his gaze upon the wolves attacking Nurzhan and starlight explodes out from the swordmage burning both wolves with the power of the stars. Seeing his ally isolated to the west, he raises a hand and a whirlwind coalesces around Rhin, but the targeted wolves refuse to be battered to the ground and gather around the mounted thief. Wolves 8 and 9 rush past the dead body of their pack mate and lunge up at Rhin, wolves 6 and 10 circle behind the thief and wolf 6 attacks her back. Wolves 6 and 8 attack and their fangs dig into the human’s flesh, causing a deep wound to open. The last wolf finds its fangs turned away by Rhin’s arm as she bats it down. Her horse bucks and kicks, but she manages to stay on and not be thrown.
Wolves
All Bite attacks target AC
All attacks against Rhin
6- Move to B5 gaining CA
Hit- [roll0]
Damge- [roll1]
8- Move to A3
Hit- (1d20+6) [19]
Damage- [roll3]
9- Move to -A3 gaining CA
Hit- [roll4]
Damage- [roll5]
10- Move to B6
Rhin saves both athletics checks to stay mounted
Nurzhan, seeing the wolves battered by his comrades attack, extends is aegis to wolf 3 marking it and then lets rip with a blaze of fire and blade- alas, both wolves dodge the blows and bare their fangs at the half-orc!
Wolves
J21-Wolf 1
G26- Wolf 2- 11 damage (Marrel)
J23- Wolf 3- (Marked- Aegis of Assault- Nur)
JG25- Wolf 44- 11 damage (Marrel)
H23-Wolf 5
B5- Wolf 6
A2- Wolf 7 DEAD (Rhin)
A3-Wolf 8
-A3- Wolf 9
B6- Wolf 10
Initiative-
Rhin- 26 ----------Current Player
Gwenn- 19
River- 19
Mini-pack 1- 15
Kriv-12
Marrel- 12
Mini-pack 2- 9
Nur- 3
PCs
Rhin- 7/22 BLOODIED
Gwenn-16/27
River-22/22
Kriv- 22/22
Marrel- 23/23
Nurzhan- 16/25
Map
Stoat map (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54987216@N05/5131952499/sizes/l/in/photostream/)
Key
RH- Rhin
K- Kriv
R- River
G- Gwenn
M- Marrel
N- Nurzhan

deathpigeon
2010-10-31, 02:07 PM
Gwenn takes a step to the north, and slashes at one of the wolves, her blade carrying to another.

[spoiler]Shift to I22
Cleave
Target: Wolf 5
On Hit: [roll1] and 3 damage to Wolf 3.

Grimlock
2010-11-01, 10:54 AM
Gwenn slips between the wolves attacking her, and lashes out at wolf 5, her blow hacks into the wolf and carries on into wolf 3, doing minor damage. The beasts flinch from her attack but stay in the fight!

Wolves
J21-Wolf 1
G26- Wolf 2- 11 damage (Marrel)
J23- Wolf 3- 3 damage (Gwenn) Marked- Aegis of Assault-( Nur)
JG25- Wolf 44- 11 damage (Marrel)
H23-Wolf 5 8 damage (Gwenn)
B5- Wolf 6
A2- Wolf 7 DEAD (Rhin)
A3-Wolf 8
-A3- Wolf 9
B6- Wolf 10
Initiative-
Rhin- 26
Gwenn- 19
River- 19------Current Player
Mini-pack 1- 15
Kriv-12
Marrel- 12
Mini-pack 2- 9
Nur- 3
PCs
A4 Rhin- 7/22 BLOODIED- will change on decision from PC
I22 Gwenn-16/27
F23 River-22/22
G21 Kriv- 22/22
-A21 Marrel- 23/23
F25 Nurzhan- 16/25

OOC
Gwenn hit with her attack, River is up next, but I'm still waiting for Sploosh's decision about attack or Second Wind!

Sploosh
2010-11-01, 06:02 PM
Rhin sits atop her horse, an island in a sea of wolves. Her chain lashes out repeatedly, attempting to disuade the hungry pack. She braces herself for the inevitable.

Take two:
Move Action: Tactical trick but move 0.
Standard: Attack wolf 6
Attack:[roll0] Damage:[roll1] [roll2]
Heroic Effort for +4 if I roll low.

Actioin Point: Second Wind for 8 and gain +2 defenses.

Gillric
2010-11-01, 06:37 PM
River, seeing his ally in dire need of assistance attacks wolf number 5 and then moves towards Rhin.

Standard: Gaze of Defiance | [roll0] vs Will | [roll1] psychic damage | allies get +1 to attack rolls vs target until the end of my next turn, increase to +3 if it attacks me before my the end of my next turn
Move: to F18

OOC
The dice officially hate me

deathpigeon
2010-11-01, 09:36 PM
River, seeing his ally in dire need of assistance attacks wolf number 5 and then moves towards Rhin.

Standard: Gaze of Defiance | [roll0] vs Will | [roll1] psychic damage | allies get +1 to attack rolls vs target until the end of my next turn, increase to +3 if it attacks me before my the end of my next turn
Move: to F18

OOC
The dice officially hate me

OOC: I should direct you to the natural 3 I rolled for intimidate on the first page.

Grimlock
2010-11-02, 03:30 AM
Rhin, surveys the wolves around her and lashes out with her chain at one of the snarling beasts. It snakes out and strikes wolf 6, blood sprays out over the churned grass and the wolf falls, its skull crushed. Taking strength from the death of the wolf and from Kriv’s presence, she regains some of her strength. Torn, between his allies, River turns his gaze to one of the wolves menacing Gwenn, but it ignores his attack. The cleric then races to the west to get closer to aid his comrade in the future.

Wolves
J21-Wolf 1
G26- Wolf 2- 11 damage
J23- Wolf 3- 3 damage (Marked- Aegis of Assault- Nur)
JG25- Wolf 44- 11 damage
H23-Wolf 5 8 damage Marked (Gwenn)
B5- Wolf 6 DEAD
A2- Wolf 7 DEAD
A3-Wolf 8
-A3- Wolf 9
B6- Wolf 10
Initiative-
Rhin- 26
Gwenn- 19
River- 19
Mini-pack 1- 15-----Current Turn
Kriv-12
Marrel- 12
Mini-pack 2- 9
Nur- 3
PCs
A4 Rhin- 17/22
I22 Gwenn-16/27
F18 River-22/22
G21 Kriv- 22/22
-A21 Marrel- 23/23
F25 Nurzhan- 16/25

Map- Stoat Map (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54987216@N05/5139238274/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

OOC Bit short on time this morning. I’ll post up mini-pack 1s turn later on!

Grimlock
2010-11-02, 08:19 AM
The southern pack of wolves continue their attacks. The three wolves surrounding Gwenn leap for her; wolves 1 and 3 work in tandem, one goes for her throat, the other to hamstring her, but the old woman twists with surprising speed, using her sword to block the lunge at her leg while forcing the second wolf away with her armoured forearm. While distracted though wolf 3 slips past her defences and bites her leg, causing a free flowing wound to appear. The remaining two wolves work as a pair; wolf 2 slips to Nurzhan’s left and lunges for his arm, while wolf 4 moves into a flanking position and tries to savage his face! The sword mage spins a fraction too late as the first wolf bites his arm, but he blocks the second attack with his sword, knocking back the wolf.
Bite attack v Gwenn's AC
Wolf 1- Hit- [roll0] with CA from Flanking
Damage- [roll1]
Wolf 5- [roll2] with CA from Flanking
Damage- [roll3]
Wolf 3- [roll4]
Damage- [roll5]

Bite attack against Nur’s AC
Wolf 2 Move-F26
- Hit- [roll6]
Damage- [roll7]
Wolf 4- Move- F24- gains CA
Hit-[roll8] with CA from Flanking
Damage- [roll9]

Initiative-
Rhin- 26
Gwenn- 19
River- 19
Mini-pack 1- 15
Kriv-12--------Current Player
Marrel- 12
Mini-pack 2- 9
Nur- 3
PCs
A4 Rhin- 17/22
I22 Gwenn-11/27 BLOODIED
F18 River-22/22
G21 Kriv- 22/22
-A21Marrel- 23/23
F25 Nurzhan- 10/25 BLOODIED
Map
Stoat map (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54987216@N05/5139781394/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

The Tygre
2010-11-02, 10:20 AM
Kriv runs next to the bleeding Gwenn. Just as quickly, he barks, "Get moving!" The dragonborn flourishes his sword and swings it down onto a wolf.

OOC
Move to I-21.
Using Wolf Pack tactics.
Gwenn can now shift a square as a free action.
Kriv attacks Wolf 1

Attack: [roll0]

Viracocha
2010-11-02, 10:31 AM
Marrel

Marrel spurs the pony and moves towards Rhin. "I'm coming!" Then he calls down the stars on the wolves in front of her.

Move: -A12
Standard (Blazing Starfall): Centered on A2. Attack Wolf9 [roll0] vs Ref Wolf8 [roll1] vs Ref; hit [roll2] radiant damage

Aron Times
2010-11-02, 09:36 PM
Immediate Reaction: Teleport to I24 and make a Melee Basic Attack vs. Wolf 5
No Action: +5 temp HP (15 / 25)
Standard Action: Sword Burst + Furious Assault (if I hit any of the targets)
Move Action: None

Sword Burst
Attack: [roll0], [roll1] vs. Reflex
Hit: [roll2] + [roll3] force damage.

OOC: Did you apply the -2 penalty for being marked to Wolf 5? Would it have hit Gwenn anyway so my Aegis of Assault triggers?

Aron Times
2010-11-02, 09:37 PM
Forgot Melee Basic Attack...

Melee Basic Attack
Attack: [roll0] vs. AC
Hit: [roll1] damage.

deathpigeon
2010-11-02, 10:16 PM
Gwenn uses Kriv's attack to sidestep to the East.

Grimlock
2010-11-03, 04:29 AM
Seeing his allies in danger, the warlord charges forward, his sword flickering out in a blur and slicing deep into the flesh of wolf 1, drawing some blood. Inspired by his actions, Gwenn slips to the east, out of the flanking position the wolves had achieved. The Halfling sorcerer rides towards Rhin’s aid, riding forward in haste. Marrel raises his hand and the light of a blazing star erupts amongst the wolves- burning them badly and the smell of singed fur fills the battle around Rhin. Nurzhan’s aegis, triggered by wolf 5’s attack on Gwenn, cause him to vanish and reappear across the battlefield, hacking down he savagely wounds the wolf. Then, spinning on the spot he whirls his sword in an arc lashing out at wolf5 again, but this time wolf 3 also. He lands a nasty hit on wolf 3, cutting a deep gash in its flank- causing blood to flow freely, but wolf 5, although near death, manages to avoid his blow.

Yes Joseph it did trigger your aegis- as you can see above. Also, you didn’t specify which attack was for which wolf, so I tossed a coin and unfortunately for you you hit wolf 3- as you would have killed wolf 5 if you’d hit it.

Wolves
J21-Wolf 1 9 damage
G26- Wolf 2- 11 damage
J23- Wolf 3- 13 damage (Marked- Aegis of Assault- Nur) BLOODIED
JG25- Wolf 44- 11 damage
H23-Wolf 5 22 damage Marked (Gwenn) BLOODIED
B5- Wolf 6 DEAD
A2- Wolf 7 DEAD
A3- Wolf 8 11 damage
-A3- Wolf 9 11 damage
B6- Wolf 10

Initiative-
Rhin- 26
Gwenn- 19
River- 19
Mini-pack 1- 15
Kriv-12
Marrel- 12
Mini-pack 2- 9------Current turn.
Nur- 3
PCs
A4 Rhin- 17/22
I23 Gwenn-11/27 BLOODIED
F18 River-22/22
I21 Kriv- 22/22
-A12 Marrel- 23/23
I24 Nurzhan- 10/25 +5 temp hp BLOODIED

OOC No map today- left my memory stick at home- sorry. All the info above is current- so please use that in relation to the old map- I’ll update that tonight after work.
Also, short on time right now- I’ll post up mini-pack 2’s turn a bit later. Cheers!

Aron Times
2010-11-03, 04:35 AM
Immediate Reaction: Teleport to I24 and make a Melee Basic Attack vs. Wolf 5

I did specify which wolf I was going to attack.

Grimlock
2010-11-03, 04:39 AM
Joseph
I meant with your sword burst attack- you nearly killed wolf 5 with your basic attack- but you didn't specify wolves for your sword burst attack- hence tossing the coin! Also, I played your turn out of order- because it won't have an effect on mini-pack 2's turn as they're not going to attack you... just Rhin heh heh heh :smallamused:

Aron Times
2010-11-03, 12:48 PM
OOC: For future reference, my attack rolls go from left to right, top to bottom; basically the same way we read. That's how my old group does multiple attack rolls in MapTool. In this case, Wolf 5 would've been the first target, followed by the other wolf.

Grimlock
2010-11-03, 03:23 PM
The western pack, ignoring yet another of their dead, move in to attack Rhin once again. Wolf 8 leaps up and bites Rhin’s leg hard, causing a huge gash to open up and blood to pour out onto the floor. Wolf 9 follows its pack mate and leaps for the thief’s throat, but Rhin manages to punch it away and it falls to the ground yelping. While the human is distracted, Wolf 10 flanks her and lunges, catching her shoulder and ripping out a chunk, causing her to pass out and topple off her horse!

Wolves moves
All Bite attacks against Rhin's AC
Wolf 8- Hit- [roll0]
Damage- [roll1]
Wolf 9- Hit [roll2]
Damage- Damage- [roll3]
Wolf 10- Move to A5- gaining CA
Hit- [roll4] including CA
Damage- [roll5]
Ouch Rhin- :smallfrown:
Wolves
J21-Wolf 1 9 damage
G26- Wolf 2- 11 damage
JG25- Wolf 44- 11 damage
H23-Wolf 5 22 damage Marked (Gwenn) BLOODIED
B5- Wolf 6 DEAD
A2- Wolf 7 DEAD
A3- Wolf 8 11 damage
-A3- Wolf 9 11 damage
A5- Wolf 10

Initiative-
Rhin- 26
Gwenn- 19- Current turn
River- 19
Mini-pack 1- 15
Kriv-12
Marrel- 12
Mini-pack 2- 9
Nur- 3
PCs
A4 Rhin- 0/22- unconscious and prone-
I23 Gwenn-11/27 BLOODIED
F18 River-22/22
I21 Kriv- 22/22
-A12 Marrel- 23/23
Map-
Stoat map (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54987216@N05/5143976058/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

Sploosh
2010-11-03, 03:42 PM
The Widow slams into the ground and lays unmoving. Her eye opens for a split second before closing again.

Death saving throw: [roll0]
Heroic Effort for +4 if I roll a 16-19, allowing me to spend a healing surge.

deathpigeon
2010-11-03, 05:51 PM
In a blur of motion Gwenn leaps forward, slashing her sword at a wolf, and going into another. She screams "How do you like me now?"

Passing Attack:
Damage: [roll1] and Gwenn shifts to H24 and makes a secondary attack

To Hit: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Gillric
2010-11-03, 08:45 PM
River targets wolf 5 with his gaze before moving closer to Rhin (B13)

Gaze of Defiance
[roll0] vs Will
[roll1] damage and allies gain a +1 power bonus to attack rolls against the target until the end of your next turn. If the target attacks you before the end of your next turn, the bonus increases to +3.

ACTION POINT!!!!!!!!!!

River continues towards Rhin, moving to B8 and then healing word on Rhin

The target can spend a healing surge and regain an additional 1d6 hit points.
[roll2]

Grimlock
2010-11-06, 05:06 AM
As Rhin topples off her horse, she manages to find some hidden reserves and stays conscious. Gwenn lashes out at wolf 5 but it dodges her blow, her swing carries her to her right where she turns her strike into a second attack against wolf 4 where she causes a nasty wound and blood starts to pour from the wolf’s shoulder. River turns his gaze on wolf 5 the holy light of … blazes fourth, scouring the wolf and causing it to drop dead. He runs west and murmurs a blessing at Rhin, healing her further, allowing her to better withstand the wolf pack’s attacks. Wolf 2 darts in and the pack attacks. Unfortunately the fighter and the warlord beat the wolves down so no attacks get through!

Wolves moves
All Bite attacks against AC
Wolf 1 Attacks Kriv
Hit [roll0]
Damage- [roll1]
Wolf 2- Move H25- Attacks Gwenn
Hit-[roll2]
Damage- [roll3]
Wolf 3- Attacks Nurzhan
Hit- [roll4] with CA
Damage- [roll5]
Wolf 4- Attacks Gwenn
Hit- [roll6]
Damage- [roll7]
Wolves
J21-Wolf 1 9 damage
H25- Wolf 2- 11 damage
JG25- Wolf 44- 11 damage
H23-Wolf 5 DEAD
B5- Wolf 6 DEAD
A2- Wolf 7 DEAD
A3- Wolf 8 11 damage
-A3- Wolf 9 11 damage
A5- Wolf 10

Initiative-
Rhin- 26
Gwenn- 19-
River- 19
Mini-pack 1- 15
Kriv-12----------- Current turn
Marrel- 12
Mini-pack 2- 9
Nur- 3
PCs
A4 Rhin- 20/22-
I23 Gwenn-11/27 BLOODIED
F18 River-22/22
I21 Kriv- 22/22
-A12 Marrel- 23/23
Map-
Stoat map (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54987216@N05/5150928564/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

Aron Times
2010-11-06, 11:33 AM
Pre-posting my action to speed things up.

Standard Action: Sword Burst on Wolf 2 and 3.
If Wolf 3 falls, Minor Action: Mark Wolf 4.
Move Action: Shift 1 square to the left right.

Sword Burst
Attack: [roll0], [roll1] vs. Reflex
Hit: [roll2] force damage.

The Tygre
2010-11-08, 12:57 AM
Kriv howls out, "Push through! Push through for your lives!"

Commander's Strike on Nur again. Free basic attack.

Viracocha
2010-11-08, 08:20 AM
Marrel

Marrel once more attempts to bring down the wolves attacking Rhin.

Standard (Blazing Starfall): Area 1 centered on A2; attack wolf 8 [roll0] vs Reflex, attack wolf 9 [roll1] vs Reflex; hit [roll2]

Grimlock
2010-11-08, 10:49 AM
Kriv calls out to Nurzhan, inspiring the sword mage to strike out hard, hitting the wolf and causing massive blood loss in the beast. Once again the Halfling sorcerer turns his attention to the beleaguered Rhin and blazing starlight explodes amongst the wolves, causing massive damage and causing both beasts to be near death. The remaining western pack move in on Rhin and attack her, wolf 9 goes for her jugular while wolf 10 moves in behind and tried to hamstring her. Both wolves get past her defenses and the combinaton of their attack knock her unconscious and she falls to the floor bleeding heavily.Nurzhan lashes out at the wolves around him, hacking down and killing Wolf 3, while wolf 2 dodges to the side and the half-orc’s swing misses by a mile.
Wolf 9- Bite attack against AC
Hit- [roll0]
Damage- [roll1]
Wolf 10 Moves to A5
Bite attack against AC
Hit- [roll2]
Damage- [roll3]
Nur’s Basic attack granted by Kriv against Wolf 3
Hit 16 Damage 8- rolls in DM roll thread

Wolves
J21-Wolf 1 9 damage
H25- Wolf 2- 11 damage
J23- Wolf 3- DEAD
G25- Wolf 4- 11 damage Marked- Nur
H23-Wolf 5 DEAD
B5- Wolf 6 DEAD
A2- Wolf 7 DEAD
A3- Wolf 8 24 damage BLOODIED near death
-A3- Wolf 9 24 damage BLOODIED near death
A5- Wolf 10

Initiative-
Rhin- 26
Gwenn- 19------------ Current turn
River- 19
Mini-pack 1- 15
Kriv-12
Marrel- 12
Mini-pack 2- 9
Nur- 3
PCs
A4 Rhin- 0/22- Unconscious. Prone
I23 Gwenn-11/27 BLOODIED
F18 River-22/22
I21 Kriv- 22/22
-A12 Marrel- 23/23
I25 Nurzhan- 10/25 +5 temp hp BLOODIED

Map
Stoat map (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54987216@N05/5158535834/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

deathpigeon
2010-11-08, 08:26 PM
Gwenn steps next to Kriv and stabs the wolf attacking Kriv.

Sure Strike:

Grimlock
2010-11-09, 12:22 AM
The old woman moves with surprising speed to the side of the warlord and whips her sword round in an arc, catching the wolf on the shoulder and causing some damage.

Wolves
J21-Wolf 1 12 damage
H25- Wolf 2- 11 damage
J23- Wolf 3- DEAD
G25- Wolf 4- 11 damage Marked- Nur
H23-Wolf 5 DEAD
B5- Wolf 6 DEAD
A2- Wolf 7 DEAD
A5- Wolf 10

Initiative-
Rhin- 26
Gwenn- 19
River- 19 ------------ Current turn
Mini-pack 1- 15
Kriv-12
Marrel- 12
Mini-pack 2- 9
Nur- 3
PCs
A4 Rhin- 0/22- Unconscious. Prone
I22 Gwenn-11/27 BLOODIED
F18 River-22/22
I21 Kriv- 22/22
-A12 Marrel- 23/23
Map
Stoat map (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54987216@N05/5160605118/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

Gillric
2010-11-09, 06:30 AM
River attacks to wolf nearest him and then again revives Rhin

Healing Word on Rhin for a healing surge plus [roll0]
Gaze of Defiance on Wolf 10 [roll1] vs Will for [roll2] psychic and:
your allies gain a +1 power bonus to attack rolls against the target until the end of your next turn. If the target attacks you before the end of your next turn, the bonus increases to +3.

Grimlock
2010-11-09, 03:58 PM
The minotaur cleric turns and power flashes in his eyes, but wolf 10 ignores him. Frustrated that he missed his attack, River murmurs a word and Rhin’s eyes snap open as she feels life force flood back into her body, yet she still lies on the ground surrounded by wolves. The southern pack of wolves continue their assault on Kriv and Nurzhan. Wolf 1 leaps for Kriv’s throat, fangs glistening, but it meets an armoured forearm forcing its jaws away. Wolf 2 lunges at Nurzhan, but the half-orc palms it away. In the midst of combat, Wolf 4 slinks around and attacks Kriv from the rear, slipping past his defences and causing minor damage.
Wolf moves

All Bite attacks against AC
Wolf 1 against Kriv-
Hit- [roll0]
Damage- [roll1]
Wolf 2 against Nurzhan
Hit- [roll2]
Damage- [roll3]
Wolf 4- Move to H21- gains CA
Hit- [roll4] including CA and -2 for not attacking Nurzhan
Damage- [roll5]

Wolves
J21-Wolf 1 12 damage
H25- Wolf 2- 11 damage
J23- Wolf 3- DEAD
H21- Wolf 4- 11 damage Marked- Nur
H23-Wolf 5 DEAD
B5- Wolf 6 DEAD
A2- Wolf 7 DEAD
A5- Wolf 10

Initiative-
Rhin- 26
Gwenn- 19
River- 19
Mini-pack 1- 15
Kriv-12------------ Current turn
Marrel- 12
Mini-pack 2- 9
Nur- 3
PCs
A4 Rhin- 6/22- Prone
I22 Gwenn-11/27 BLOODIED
F18 River-22/22
I21 Kriv- 16/22
-A12 Marrel- 23/23
Map
Stoat map (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54987216@N05/5161829251/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

Aron Times
2010-11-09, 04:24 PM
Nurzhan of the Oasis sees an opening and teleports behind the wolf attacking Kriv, striking with his sword (see OOC thread).

Grimlock
2010-11-10, 12:20 AM
In the blink of an eye, Nurzhan flickers across the battlefield and reappears behind the wolf. As it can attacks the warlord, he raises his sword high and plunges it into the beast, laying open its back and blood starts to flow freely.

Wolves
J21-Wolf 1 12 damage
H25- Wolf 2- 11 damage
J23- Wolf 3- DEAD
H21- Wolf 4- 21 damage Marked- Nur BLOODIED
H23-Wolf 5 DEAD
B5- Wolf 6 DEAD
A2- Wolf 7 DEAD
A5- Wolf 10

Initiative-
Rhin- 26
Gwenn- 19
River- 19
Mini-pack 1- 15
Marrel- 12
Mini-pack 2- 9
Nur- 3
PCs
A4 Rhin- 6/22- Prone
I22 Gwenn-11/27 BLOODIED
F18 River-22/22
I21 Kriv- 16/22
-A12 Marrel- 23/23
G20 Nurzhan- 10/25 +5 temp hp BLOODIED
Map
Stoat Map (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54987216@N05/5163511992/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

Aron Times
2010-11-10, 07:49 PM
Standard Action: Melee Basic Attack
If Wolf 4 falls, Minor Action: Mark Wolf 1.
If Wolf 4 falls, Move Action: Move into a flanking position against Wolf 1.

Melee Basic Attack
Attack: [roll0] vs. AC
Critical Hit: 14 damage.

The Tygre
2010-11-10, 10:34 PM
Kriv brings his sword down on the wolf attacking him again, hissing "Foul beast!" as the other wolf bites into his leg.

Attacking Wolf 1
Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Grimlock
2010-11-11, 12:30 AM
Kriv’s angry sword swing slices deep into the wolf. He twists his blade as he pulls it out, causing a deep wound and blood spills out from the wolf onto the ground

Wolves
J21-Wolf 1 20 damage BLOODIED
H25- Wolf 2- 11 damage
J23- Wolf 3- DEAD
H21- Wolf 4- 21 damage Marked- Nur BLOODIED
H23-Wolf 5 DEAD
B5- Wolf 6 DEAD
A2- Wolf 7 DEAD
A5- Wolf 10

Initiative-
Rhin- 26
Gwenn- 19
River- 19
Mini-pack 1- 15
Kriv-12
Marrel- 12------------ Current turn
Mini-pack 2- 9
Nur- 3
PCs
A4 Rhin- 6/22- Prone
I22 Gwenn-11/27 BLOODIED
F18 River-22/22
I21 Kriv- 16/22
-A12 Marrel- 23/23
Map
Stoat Map (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54987216@N05/5163511992/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

Viracocha
2010-11-11, 02:20 AM
Marrel

Marrel summons arcane energies to finish off the wolves.

Standard (Blazing Starfall): Area 1 centered on A2; attack wolf 8 [roll0] vs Reflex, attack wolf 9 [roll1] vs Reflex; hit [roll2]

Grimlock
2010-11-11, 07:44 AM
Marrel raises his hand again and star fire blazes and sears the two wolves 8 and 9, they fall to the floor; lifeless husks. The remaining wolf attacks Rhin, again biting deep and causing the thief to fall unconscious, blood pouring from her wounds. Nurzhan's strike kills wolf 4 and blood splatters up over his armour.
Wolf 10- Hit 19
Damage 11
Rolls in DM dice roll thread

Wolves
J21-Wolf 1 20 damage BLOODIED
H25- Wolf 2- 11 damage
J23- Wolf 3- DEAD
H21- Wolf 4- DEAD
H23-Wolf 5 DEAD
B5- Wolf 6 DEAD
A2- Wolf 7 DEAD
A3- Wolf 8 DEAD
-A3- Wolf 9 DEAD
A5- Wolf 10

Initiative-
Rhin- 26
River- 19
Mini-pack 1- 15
Kriv-12
Marrel- 12
Mini-pack 2- 9
Nur- 3
PCs
A4 Rhin- -5/22- Prone and dying
I22 Gwenn-11/27 BLOODIED
F18 River-22/22
I21 Kriv- 16/22
-A12 Marrel- 23/23
Map
Use the same map as above- only Wolves 4, 8 and 9 are now dead! Ta, Flickr is playing up today!

Sploosh
2010-11-13, 09:50 AM
Her life bleeding out again, Rhin claws to remain concious but fails. She sees her husband, and despite being eaten alive...again, she seems at peace.

Death saving throw [roll0]

deathpigeon
2010-11-14, 02:00 PM
Gwenn stabs at the wolf still next to her.

Sure Strike:
Target: Wolf 1

Grimlock
2010-11-15, 12:25 AM
The old fighter’s sword strike pierces deep into the wolf’s heart and it falls, dead.
Wolves
J21-Wolf 1 20 DEAD
H25- Wolf 2- 11 damage
J23- Wolf 3- DEAD
H21- Wolf 4- DEAD
H23-Wolf 5 DEAD
B5- Wolf 6 DEAD
A2- Wolf 7 DEAD
A3- Wolf 8 DEAD
-A3- Wolf 9 DEAD
A5- Wolf 10

Initiative-
Rhin- 26
Gwenn- 19
Mini-pack 1- 15
Kriv-12
Marrel- 12
Mini-pack 2- 9
Nur- 3
PCs
A4 Rhin- -5/22- Unconscious and Prone. Stable
I22 Gwenn-11/27 BLOODIED
F18 River-22/22
I21 Kriv- 16/22
-A12 Marrel- 23/23
Map
Stoat map (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54987216@N05/5177179273/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

Gillric
2010-11-15, 08:42 PM
River moves to B4 and attempts to stabilize his dieing companion

Heal: [roll0]

Aron Times
2010-11-15, 08:46 PM
Move: Move to G26
Minor: Mark Wolf 2
Standard: Ready a Melee Basic Attack against Wolf 2 once Gwen moves into a flanking position.

Melee Basic Attack
Attack: [roll0] vs. AC (Combat Advantage included in attack roll.)

The Tygre
2010-11-16, 04:07 PM
Kriv pulls on the reins of his horse. The steed leaps over the corpses of the fallen wolves and rears in front of the final beast. The dragonborn slashes his sword down on the last wolf.

Moving to G-25
Attacking Wolf 2
Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Grimlock
2010-11-17, 12:28 AM
River runs to the west and kneels next to the unconscious Rhin, tending to her wounds despite the slavering wolf only a few feet away! The warlord spurs his horse over the corpses of the wolf pack and hacks down at the wolf. His sword strike causes a deep gash to open up on the wolf’s back and blood pours from it.
Wolves
J21-Wolf 1 20 DEAD
H25- Wolf 2- 23 damage BLOODIED
J23- Wolf 3- DEAD
H21- Wolf 4- DEAD
H23-Wolf 5 DEAD
B5- Wolf 6 DEAD
A2- Wolf 7 DEAD
A3- Wolf 8 DEAD
-A3- Wolf 9 DEAD
A5- Wolf 10

Initiative-
Rhin- 26
Gwenn- 19
River- 19
Mini-pack 1- 15
Kriv-12
Marrel- 12 ------------ Current turn
Mini-pack 2- 9
Nur- 3
PCs
A4 Rhin- -5/22- Unconscious and Prone. Stable
I22 Gwenn-11/27 BLOODIED
F18 River-22/22
G25 Kriv- 16/22
-A12 Marrel- 23/23
Map
Stoat map (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54987216@N05/5183295971/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

Viracocha
2010-11-17, 08:19 AM
Marrel

Marrel attempts to destroy the last wolf attacking Rhin, calling down lightning from the skies.

Standard (Lightning Strike): attack [roll0] vs reflex; hit [roll1] damage (4 from storm magic rider)

Grimlock
2010-11-17, 10:42 AM
The sorcerer frowns at the lone remaining wolf from the western pack standing over the unconscious body of his friend. Lightning crackles across his fingers and explodes down from the sky, striking the wolf hard, burning its fur causing several wounds to open up across its body, but when the light fades it still stands, albeit battered and wounded. The wolf, ignoring the pain, sees River as a rival for its next meal and, snarling, goes for the minotaur’s throat. At the last minute, River diverts his attention from his fallen comrade to the attacking wolf, grabs its muzzle and shoves it back, its fangs clashing on each other. Nurzhan seeing an opening, darts in behind wolf 2 and waits for Gwenn to flank the beast before taking advantage of his position.
Wolves
Wolf 10 rolled 16 to hit so failed against River’s AC- roll in DM roll thread
Wolves
J21-Wolf 1 DEAD
H25- Wolf 2- 23 damage BLOODIED
J23- Wolf 3- DEAD
H21- Wolf 4- DEAD
H23-Wolf 5 DEAD
B5- Wolf 6 DEAD
A2- Wolf 7 DEAD
A3- Wolf 8 DEAD
-A3- Wolf 9 DEAD
A5- Wolf 10- 15 Damage BLOODIED

Initiative-
Rhin- 26
River- 19
Mini-pack 1- 15
Kriv-12
Marrel- 12
Mini-pack 2- 9
Nur- 3
PCs
A4 Rhin- 0/22- Unconscious and Prone. Stable
I22 Gwenn-11/27 BLOODIED
B4 River-22/22
G25 Kriv- 16/22
-A12 Marrel- 23/23
G26 Nurzhan- 10/25 +5 temp hp BLOODIED
Map
Stoat map (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54987216@N05/5184244759/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

deathpigeon
2010-11-19, 09:26 PM
Gwenn moves to the wolf, flanking it with Nurzhan, and attacks.

Move: I26, moving so as to not provoke an attack of opportunity.
Attack: Sure Strike

Grimlock
2010-11-20, 01:04 PM
Gwenn hears the half-orc’s shout and moves up to attack the wolf. As the fighter moves, Nurzhan cuts low at the wolf’s legs, severing its left front leg, while Gwenn hacks down at the wolf’s back and the two of them cut it down; it slumps to the floor, its lifeblood seeping out into the ground.
Wolves
J21-Wolf 1 DEAD
H25- Wolf 2- DEAD
J23- Wolf 3- DEAD
H21- Wolf 4- DEAD
H23-Wolf 5 DEAD
B5- Wolf 6 DEAD
A2- Wolf 7 DEAD
A3- Wolf 8 DEAD
-A3- Wolf 9 DEAD
A5- Wolf 10- 15 Damage BLOODIED

Initiative-
Rhin- 26
Gwenn- 19
Mini-pack 1- 15
Kriv-12
Marrel- 12
Mini-pack 2- 9
Nur- 3
PCs
I22 Gwenn-11/27 BLOODIED
B4 River-22/22
G25 Kriv- 16/22
-A12 Marrel- 23/23
Map
Stoat map (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54987216@N05/5192697652/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

Gillric
2010-11-20, 01:13 PM
River, having stabilized Rhin turns his attention to the remaining wolf and attempts to bring his flail down upon the beasts head.

[roll0] vs AC for [roll1] damage

Grimlock
2010-11-20, 01:17 PM
River stands and swings his flail in a tight arc, smashing it onto the back of the wolf, forcing it almost to the ground and blood seeps out, dripping onto the floor.
Wolves
J21-Wolf 1 DEAD
H25- Wolf 2- DEAD
J23- Wolf 3- DEAD
H21- Wolf 4- DEAD
H23-Wolf 5 DEAD
B5- Wolf 6 DEAD
A2- Wolf 7 DEAD
A3- Wolf 8 DEAD
-A3- Wolf 9 DEAD
A5- Wolf 10- 23 Damage BLOODIED and near death

Initiative-
Rhin- 26
Gwenn- 19
River- 19
Mini-pack 1- 15
Marrel- 12
Mini-pack 2- 9
Nur- 3
PCs
I22 Gwenn-11/27 BLOODIED
B4 River-22/22
G25 Kriv- 16/22
-A12 Marrel- 23/23
Map
Stoat map (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54987216@N05/5192697652/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

The Tygre
2010-11-21, 01:03 AM
Kriv wheels his horse around and runs down the road as fast as he can.

Move to G 13

Viracocha
2010-11-23, 10:54 AM
Marrel

Marrel tries to blast the last wolf standing with lightning

Standard (Lightning Strike): hit [roll0] vs Reflex; damage [roll1]

Aron Times
2010-11-23, 04:30 PM
Any chance we can drive away the last wolf instead of having to bring it down to 0 HP? It just got its whole pack slaughtered before it.

Grimlock
2010-11-24, 11:55 AM
Lightning lashes down from the sky, striking the ground next to the wolf, the thunderclap which follows causes the severely hurt wolfto suffer a massive heart attack and it slumps to the floor dead! As the dust settles you see a few battered comrades, 10 dead wolves and the unconscious body of one of your allies!

Gillric
2010-11-25, 08:08 PM
River catches his breath and then revives his dieing companion with a healing word.

Rhin gets a surge plus [roll0]

Aron Times
2010-11-25, 10:07 PM
Nurzhan spends two healing surges, aided by our healer's healing power of healing, bringing him up to 25/25 + 5 HP.

"That was... quite convenient. Is there a mage out there helping us? And why would a pack of wolves fight to the death when there's much easier prey to be found?"

deathpigeon
2010-11-25, 10:23 PM
Gwenn smiles sheathing her sword, ignoring the wounds of battle (three healing surges). "Who wants tea and cookies?"

The Tygre
2010-11-27, 03:32 AM
A cold mist is puffing from Kriv's nostrils. His left eye is twitching, and there seems to be tick in his neck. "No~o. Noooooooooo. Do you mind, old woman, telling us, WHY, exactly, you wanted to stay behind for thiiiiiisssssss? And THINK carefully on your answer, knowing what you know now as to what you knew then."

deathpigeon
2010-11-27, 01:56 PM
A cold mist is puffing from Kriv's nostrils. His left eye is twitching, and there seems to be tick in his neck. "No~o. Noooooooooo. Do you mind, old woman, telling us, WHY, exactly, you wanted to stay behind for thiiiiiisssssss? And THINK carefully on your answer, knowing what you know now as to what you knew then."

"Now, now, young man. Is that any way to treat your elders? Back in my days, we treated them with respect!"

Sploosh
2010-11-29, 07:40 PM
The Widow groans, sitting up and staggering to her feet. Her clothes are soaked with blood and tattered by the teeth of her attackers. She went from fine silk to rags. She clutches her stomach but seems better than she looks. Using 3 surges in addition to the one granted by me by savior. 26/26 and 5/8 surges used

"Where I come from, respect is earned and not freely given. Having said that, I agree that these were not ordinary wolves. "

The Tygre
2010-12-01, 02:52 AM
"Now, now, young man. Is that any way to treat your elders? Back in my days, we treated them with respect!"

Another blast of cold air erupts from Kriv's nostrils, this shot actually leaving a little frost on his snout. He grumbles, with his voice intermittently rising "VERy weLL. I apOLOgize, MAdame. Would you MIND telling us WHY you needed to STOP so urrrrrgently?" Between the vocal changes and the almost moustache-like frost on his snout, Kriv comes off a little less 'threatening' and a little more 'comically hysterical'.

deathpigeon
2010-12-01, 06:18 PM
Another blast of cold air erupts from Kriv's nostrils, this shot actually leaving a little frost on his snout. He grumbles, with his voice intermittently rising "VERy weLL. I apOLOgize, MAdame. Would you MIND telling us WHY you needed to STOP so urrrrrgently?" Between the vocal changes and the almost moustache-like frost on his snout, Kriv comes off a little less 'threatening' and a little more 'comically hysterical'.

"To kill those wolves."

Gillric
2010-12-01, 09:28 PM
You were going to kill all those wolves by yourself? You have past service to the crown? What are you? Some kind of assassin??

deathpigeon
2010-12-02, 11:41 PM
You were going to kill all those wolves by yourself? You have past service to the crown? What are you? Some kind of assassin??

"Back when I was your age, I was a hero, and I was famous across all the land. You should read my book, Saving the World, Again: The Life of a Hero, sometime, its a thrilling read, and all the money goes to this one friend of mine who helped me out of a tough pickle one time. Ah, I miss the old days." she smiles longingly, like some one thinking about their spouse while they are off to war...

The Tygre
2010-12-06, 05:58 PM
Kriv is mildly taken back. He eases his tone, though he lets out a yelp as he pulls the frost from off his snout, as he asks, "All right. You've made your point. But just look around. This one pack almost killed one of our own, and just four put three of us on edge. You might have experience, but do you think you could have taken them now?"

Aron Times
2010-12-06, 06:10 PM
"You are keeping something from us. Tell us what you know about this attack."

Gillric
2010-12-07, 08:57 PM
If you were a famous hero, why have I never heard of you?

deathpigeon
2010-12-09, 07:33 PM
If you were a famous hero, why have I never heard of you?

Where you raised by wolves? Maybe you did, but you never thought a kindly old lady could be her?"

Gillric
2010-12-10, 10:41 AM
My memory is good but why don't you refresh it just to make sure.

deathpigeon
2010-12-11, 11:32 AM
My memory is good but why don't you refresh it just to make sure.

"Its a long story for another time, another place. Perhaps after we return from the mission?"

Aron Times
2010-12-12, 09:39 AM
"We're getting nowhere. Let's move on."

deathpigeon
2010-12-12, 11:28 AM
"We're getting nowhere. Let's move on."

"Yes lets."

The Tygre
2010-12-20, 11:18 PM
Kriv sighs and heads off. He checks on the Widow, saying, "You tried to take on half the pack by yourself. Rookie mistake. I'd say that's the kind of thing that'll get you killed, but seeing as how you almost were, I think it goes without saying. Are you all right?"

Grimlock
2010-12-21, 10:50 AM
The six of you survey the scene of the fight with the wolves and as you talk, in some cases argue, amongst yourselves, time passes. You mount up and continue your ride towards Winningham.

As you ride you notice that the area is isolated, far more than you would expect; riding past another few farmsteads, all of which are lifeless and seem to be abandoned. There should be people out in the fields planting up and tending winter crops, but there is no one that you can see.
As night falls you approach another abandoned farmstead, this one appears to have been abandoned for some time and seems an ideal place to make camp for the night.

Gillric
2010-12-21, 11:04 AM
It seems odd that there is no one working any of these farms...

Perception: [roll0]
History: [roll1] Do I know why these farms are abandoned?
Nature: [roll2] Is there anything wrong with the farmstead?

The Tygre
2010-12-21, 05:28 PM
"Could be that they were left behind in the border wars. Maybe whatever was controlling those wolves has something to do with it. But if that was the case, I don't want to stay on this land for too long. Something dark and old is never good to offend."

History:[roll0]

Gillric
2010-12-22, 07:32 AM
Whatever the cause, I agree that we should spend as little time as possible on this farm.

Grimlock
2010-12-24, 08:30 AM
The wind whistles around you, whipping at hair and cloaks as you stare at the abandonded farm and dusk's tendrils creep up into the weak winter sky.
OOC History Check

No border raids reached this far during the last war as they were halted either at Winningham or the border itself.
Although you know this part of the ride to Winningham is more deserted and less populated than the land closer to Farspire and Winningham you would still expect to see more people out- either travellers or farmers out sowing winter crops or hurrying to take in very late harvests. it is unlikely you wold see a lot of people, but it is unusual to see no-one at all.
Nature Check

Just got enough. :smallsmile:
You notice nothing unusual about the farm other than that it is deserted. There are some wolf tracks in the yard that seem relatively fresh, ie from the last couple of days. There seems to be nothing sinister about the empty buildings.
Perception Check

You notice nothing out of the ordinary in the surrounding area, other than the lack of people.

Gillric
2010-12-24, 08:33 AM
The farm itself seems safe enough and the lend has not been despoiled but it looks like wolves have been here as well. Something must be stirring them up, these attacks don't seem natural to me.

The Tygre
2010-12-29, 09:00 PM
Kriv growls, "Hrrm... I still don't like it. But this is as good a place as any. Let's set up camp for the night. I'll take the first watch. Any objections?"

Gillric
2010-12-30, 01:35 PM
No objections here.

Grimlock
2011-01-10, 11:03 AM
As you ride closer to the farmhouse, you see that some of the windows are broken and there is an empty feel to the surroundings.
There is an empty yard outside the front door, containing a barn and a well. Peering round the side of the house you see what appears to be a vegetable patch.The door facing you hangs from only one hinge.

Gillric
2011-01-11, 08:48 AM
River dismounts and cautiously approaches the house.

Grimlock
2011-01-11, 10:15 AM
River
Your cautious walk towards the house reveals only that it is empty and, as you approach, you see more of the small vegetable plot gone to seed, the plants in ordered rows but overgrown, covered in weeds and clearly inedible. You can just make out the hallway of the house through the hanging front door and think you can make out the closed door of another room just inside the entrance to the farm house.
The first floor of the dwelling looks down on you with one of the two windows broken, giving the house a rather forlorn appearance. It is clear from your perceptive looks that the house has been empty for about a couple of weeks, dirt and late autumn leaves have gathered in the corners of the yard and even in the front hall, some fresh animal tracks lead around to the back of the house.

The Tygre
2011-01-11, 06:44 PM
Kriv follows river, gathering up some dry leaves and bits of wood for a fire. The dragonborn prepares the camp in silence, quietly but steadily starting a fire and putting out a bedroll for the night. "Like I said, I'll take first watch. Does anyone want to try hunting for some meat, or should we just stick to our rations?"

Gillric
2011-01-13, 09:25 AM
Before we set camp I want to have a look around, there are relatively fresh tracks there. We should also check out the house, we may be able to use it. River begins to examine the tracks.

Nature: [roll0]

Grimlock
2011-01-13, 10:59 AM
As you scour the gound, you identify the animal tracks as wolf prints; studying their size reveals that they are of a similar size to those that attacked you. Although many of these tracks are days, even up to a week old, some are as fresh as yesterday. As you are about to return to the house, you catch sight of some boot prints. There're too weathered to be able to tell much, but there was more than one person heading East towards Farspire. The tracks are about two weeks old.

Gillric
2011-01-13, 07:59 PM
These tracks were made by wolves, wolves similar to those that attacked us out on the road. But there is something else as well, booted feet have also passed this way. The boot prints are older and were heading east, the wolves range from two weeks old to as fresh as yesterday. River stands up from examining the tracks and heads down the side of the house to get a look at the yard in back.

Grimlock
2011-01-14, 10:34 AM
As you circle round the back of the farmhouse you see more wolf tracks imprinted in the earth around the closed back door!
There is nothing out of the ordinary in the back garden other than the overgrown vegetable patch and the general sense of abandonment!

Gillric
2011-01-14, 11:01 AM
Circling back around to the front of the house, The back door to this place is still intact and the wolf tracks lead to it. Anyone want to check inside with me?

Grimlock
2011-01-20, 11:03 AM
You circle back round the outside of the house and approach the front door, as you saw before it is already off its hinges. As you burst through the front door and find yourselves in a small hallway, you notice that the floor is covered in leaves and dirt. There is a door to your right which is closed and you see the kitchen ahead of you.
You can just make out a sturdy wooden table in and a large cast iron oven, of the sort bread could baked in. Cupboards line the walls and those near ground level have had their doors torn off.
Leaves and twigs cover the floorboards of the hallway as well as muddy paw prints. Ahead of you see a staircase leading upstairs!

Gillric
2011-01-20, 11:13 AM
As River enters the house, he first goes to the base of the stairs and takes a quick look up before moving on to the closed door. He pauses to listen for sounds of movement and other evidence that there could be someone or something on the other side.

Grimlock
2011-01-24, 04:29 PM
As the minotaur stalks into the house and flicks a glance upstairs and moves swiftly to the door he is certain there is nothing alive and moving in this dwelling!

Gillric
2011-01-24, 04:38 PM
River, upon sensing nothing alive in the building begins to search the house going systematically from room to room looking for anything salvageable.

Grimlock
2011-01-31, 03:28 PM
River's systematic search of the house reveals little of use. In onw of the rooms you find a piece of cloth ripped to shreads, it is too badly damaged to tell what it once was and in one of the upstairs room you find a toy wooden cow abandoned in the corner.
Having found nothing of use the party gather in the kitchen as twilight begins fall.

Gillric
2011-02-01, 08:37 AM
Well, we may not have found anything of use in the house, but at least we can take shelter within its walls.

The Tygre
2011-02-01, 09:31 AM
"That's good. Now get some rest.We've had a long day, and there's longer still in the morning. I'll wake you when it's your turn at the watch." The dragonborn says, gnawing at a bit of hard tack from his rations and tending to the fire.

Grimlock
2011-02-01, 11:46 AM
As you organise yourselves for the night, the crackle of the fire warms the air and the comforting heat and smell of wood smoke fills the kitchen. The horses are stabled in the closest outbuilding and the farmhouse is secured!

As a party you take over the kitchen area and sit down to eat and chat, sharing stories and getting to know each other a little better, discussing the fight with the wolves and telling each other of your past. As you finish your meal and Kriv sets out to take first watch, the more perceptive and keen eared of you hear the sound of horse's hooves and the creak of a wagon wheel seconds before a voice calls out, Uhm, hello? Wenton, is that you in there?

Gillric
2011-02-02, 09:04 AM
River moves to the open doorway and looks out. No, its not Wenton. Are you a friend of his? Is this his house? If it is maybe you have some idea what might have happened to the occupants. It looks like there was a struggle and the place is now abandoned.

Grimlock
2011-02-03, 12:30 AM
As River pokes his head out asks his questions he sees a wagon coming out of the gloom. Sitting in the driver's seat is a small, wiry man; he looks warn and tired, sitting next to him wrapped up is a heavily pregnant woman and peering out between them is the small face of a child. He pulls the wagon to a halt and when he spies the massive dragonborn looking out of the house towards them. His jaw drops and his eyes bulge, Um...you're not Wenton. The woman to his side gives him a nudge, Obviously not! Excuse my husband, he has a lot on his mind, she smiles fondly at him, and then frowns... We both have. As you look at their wagon you see it piled high with belongings and tethered to the back are two cows. You see we live on the next farm,...lived I should say. We've left. We can't take anymore. We've driven for hours to reach here, we were hoping Wenton and his family could put us up for the night, but it seems they've left too. The wiry man shakes himself out of his shock, Yeah, we tried to fight 'em, but with so many of the other farmers just givin' in, we said sod it and packed up. I ain't payin' none 'o' my money to that scoundrel! We're movin' on, but we can't go any further tonight!

Gillric
2011-02-03, 08:26 AM
Please come inside and get warm. Tell us your tale, what has befallen the local farms?

The Tygre
2011-02-03, 06:10 PM
Kriv moves to the side silently. Cautious at first, he stokes the fire for the newcomers, trying not to look threatening.

Grimlock
2011-02-06, 07:30 AM
As River speaks, the child's eyes grow even bigger and she ducks behind her mother, hiding her face in woman's shawl. The man stands and stretches, then gets down off the wagon. Errr, many thanks. Although he is putting on a brave face, it is clear he is slightly intmidated by the minotaur, despite his kind words. My name is Ben, Ben Jolin, this 'ere's my wife, Helen. He walks round to the other side of the wagon and helps his wife down. Helen smiles at River and Kriv, Pleased to meet you. She looks down at her daughter. This little one's Sasha. and tries to coax the little girl out from behind her legs. If we could stay here that would be wonderful, as we have nowhere else to go, and I really don't feel able to spend a night out in the open, now that it's getting colder. Ben, why don't you put the wagon and the animals in an outbuilding, I'm sure we can make it to the house with the help of these gentlemen. But how do we know we can trust 'em? They might be workin' for tha' bastard Soltan de Habre

Gillric
2011-02-06, 09:22 AM
We do not work for anyone by that name. Who is he and what has been going on to force you to leave your homes. River tries to appear as nonthreatening as possible.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Grimlock
2011-02-08, 10:48 AM
OOC
See Post 60 for the Duke's comments on Soltan de Habre- this is what you guys already know! :smallsmile:
Soltan de Habre (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171564&page=2)
Molified by the minotaur's kind words and non-threatening demeanor, as well as Kriv's efforts with the fire, Ben begins to talk,
Weeeeeelll, it’s true tha’ y’ didn’t try and force us ta do wha’ you wanted, so you may not be workin’ for de Habre. Ben scratches the stubble on his cheek, An’ yer a damn side nicer than the goons the bastard usually sends round.
Ben clambers down off the wagon and helps his wife down , she groans as she reaches the bottom. He then helps his little daughter down, who immediately hides behind her parent’s legs. He leads the wagon to the barn and unhooks it, tending to the animals before ru#eturning to the others who have been escorted inside by River to be faced by the roaring fire Kriv has stoked up. The three sit down as Kriv, River and anyone else who is awake/wants to wanders down into the kitchen. Little Sasha falls asleep on her mother’s lap as the two adults begin their story.
Well, de Habre's this jumped up goon who reckons 'es all tha' around Winningham. I s’pose it all started 2 or 3 months ago…
Don’t exaggerate Ben, it was about a month at most,
All righ’ a month then, he rolls his eyes at the party as if to say, ‘women’…which earns him a gentle hit, he grins at his wife and continues. We live, prob’ly a day, day n’ a half’s ride from Winningham. We go to town 3 or 4 times a year to sell any extra produce we might have. We got quite a large farm, a mix a’ livestock an’ crops, an’ we do alright, enough to get by and to have paid off our debts on the farm. We’d heard tha’ a few of the businesses in town had a some …um… trouble with a few thugs, but we didn’t think anythin’ of it.
No, I mean in the past people have tried to take advantage of the smaller businesses, but the Governor has always shut it down.
Tha’s right, but anyways, a few weeks ago I was out in the field closest to the house when this group rides up to me. So I stops an’ asks if I can help at all. “You certainly can” they said, “We’re here to collect the rent” an’ they all laughed. There was 7 or 8 of them. Well I says Rent? We owe nothing on this farm, my father paid off a lot and I paid the rest we owe no man nothin’. Then one a’ them, a big feller, he dismounted and got right in my face, “You got one week to get us 70 gold pieces, all this now belongs to Soltan de Habre. And if you don’t give it to us... we’ll take it!” an’ he gestured to the land all around us...our land! Got on his horse and they rode off.Helen joins in, We weren’t going to stand for that, so we decided the next day to head into Winningham and speak to the Governor. So we set off the next morning and rode the wagon to town. We got there that evening and went to the Governor’s offices only to see Wenton there along with most of the other farmers from the area. All of us had been threatened by one gang or another, but Governor Gray was seeing no-one and answering no questions. We went to an inn for a drink and got chattin’ to an old boy who tol’ us that this de Habre was pushing his weight around the town and demanding money, left right and centre.
Old Governor Stonnand wouldn’t let this happen. He’d stamped it out. But to cut a long story short, we tried to resist an’ the first couple of times we worked as group to face down the gangs demandin’ our money, but then the burnings started; people’s crops an’ homes were bein’ set alight, livestock killed at noght and left lyin’ there. It was such a waste. That’s when people started to pay up, if they paid they’d at least keep somthin’. Wenton, I know he was talkin’ about leavin’, so I guess he must’ve done. We’ve had enough. I won’t pay and we can’t face them down alone, so we’ve packed up what we got, sold what we couldn’t carry, and we’re goin’ to demand that the king does somethin’

Gillric
2011-02-08, 12:00 PM
This news is most distressing. We are actually emissaries from the Duke and are on our way to Winningham to look into the matter of Soltan de Habre. We are also looking for someone by the name of Melisizwe, have you heard of him?

Grimlock
2011-02-10, 12:35 AM
A huge grin spreads across Ben's face when he hears who sent them. Hee hee, his Grace sent you? Tha' piece a scum won't know what hit 'im. Did the duke really send you to help us? At River's question, Ben shakes his head, I don' know anyone a' tha' name.. He grinds his teeth in frustration. Helen pipes up. I'm sorry, but to let you all know, many in the town are unhappy with what's going on, but without the Governor's support the Watch are all but useless. They're as afraid of de Habre as everyone else. Anyone who has spoken up is either beaten up or just vanishes.

Gillric
2011-02-10, 08:14 AM
Well, looks like we need to check into the matter of the ineffective Governor while we are at it and try to rouse the town watch. Thank you very much for your information, please make yourselves comfortable and rest easy for the night.

Grimlock
2011-02-11, 10:04 AM
As the conversation draws to a close, and the sight of the sleeping Sasha causes you all to feel somewhat drowsy and with River's kind words ringing in people's ears, those who need to head off to take first watch, while the rest of you bed down around the farmhouse. Ben and Helen join their daughter wrapped up in blankets in the kitchen.
As the night passes you each take your time on watch, but the time passes without incident. You do hear the howling of wolves but it is faint and clearly some miles distant.
Dawn breaks and the winter sun tries to banish the night's cold. You awake and begin your day to find that Helen has prepared breakfast for you all.

Gillric
2011-02-11, 12:34 PM
Why thank you Helen, it looks delicious. River makes a point of gathering everyone together and then offering a blessing over the food. Upon completion of the meal he offers to assist with cleaning up before the two groups are ready to depart.

Gillric
2011-02-14, 01:30 PM
Once on the road towards Winningham again, River slows his mount to ride alongside the others. What do the rest of you think, could we raise the town guard to help oppose Soltan de Habre?

Shyftir
2011-03-10, 09:31 AM
Meanwhile, back in the States on the road from Farspire...

"So anyway what did this gnome woman say to you, Finn?" Wiley cracked his (obviously) daemonic-looking smile at the halfling. "Sounds to me like she was considering stealing your booty." The tielfling chuckled at his own joke sneaking a look sideways at the smaller man, before turning to peer at his other companion for support.

They had been traveling together at The Duke's request out to help a group of "agents" he'd sent on ahead. The halfling was a likable rogue and Wiley thought they got on rather well. The human was an odd one, but seemed pleasant enough company, at least when they made camp.

Grimlock
2011-03-10, 10:24 AM
((OOC- Reddic and Galak are not near you just yet))

River
((OOC- Slightly retconned))
The others of the party opt to escort the Jolins back to Farspire to ensure they have safe passage. As the minotaur rides on alone, determined to fulfil his mission. Your attention is suddenly divided in two as you see a lone rider ahead of you and three racing up behind from the direction of Taunton.

Lian
As you left Winningham, you are struck again by the oppressive atmosphere of the town. People stare at you suspiciously as you leave Your missive from Duke Fallon told you to leave Winningham through the East Gate and head towards the small town of Taunton. You are to meet an agent of his; a cleric named River, a minotaur, sent to investigate events in the town and the disappearance of one of his Grace’s agents. You have been riding all day and ahead you see a large figure riding towards you.

Finn, Lucan and Wiley

The three of you left Farspire half a day behind the initial party sent out by his Grace. He called you together, either through family connections or through having used your services before. He impressed on you the urgency of catching them up and bid you head out with all speed. You have been riding hard for two days and you catch sight of a lone rider on the road ahead of you.

Reddic
You awoke to find a wild eyed hare staring at you. As your eyes open, so does its mouth and you hear the voice of the Duke speaking to you. Reddic, I know you’re searching for… I have my own eyes and ears open for her whereabouts, but I am calling you to keep our bargain. An agent of mine needs your help, a cleric going by the name of River is near you, find him and assist him in his task. He is two or three hours trek south of your location, bearing towards the town of Winningham. When the voice stops the hare flinches and darts away into the bushes.

Galak
((OOC-Secret Stuff for Galak only))
You hunt!
The band you have been tracking are close. You first saw their handiwork at a farm; livestock dead and the farmhouse a burned out wreck, you found no bodies but blood had been spilled. For two days you have been ghosting after them, your skills have seen the tracks and spoor of 7 individuals, at least two are kobolds. You are gaining and your vengeance will be swift and terrible, but you need allies; you cannot take them all in a straight fight.

Gillric
2011-03-10, 10:51 AM
Seeing riders approaching in both directions River reins his horse to the side of the trail he is riding and waits for them to reach him.

PolkaBear
2011-03-10, 11:16 AM
Lian Tengu

Lian blithely tucked the Duke's letter into his pouch, little wondering at how the feylord acquired it or if the Duke truly knew of his involvement in whatever scheme Lian had been sent to further. The missive was addressed to Lian, but the kenku supposed that fey magic could alter an address just as easily as it could twist the fabric of reality. Anyway, he was here. On a stinking horse. Riding--jouncing, really--toward this minotaur contact. My legs just aren't suitable for stirrups. You'd think that if he got the address right on the letter, he'd at least get the correct riding equipment. The horse, like the letter, was one of several things Lian found waiting for him on his return from the Feywild.

Despite the disconcerting motion of the horse, Lian could see a mounted figure waiting at the roadside. As he approached, he pulled up. At least the stinking horse takes direction well.

Bridgar
2011-03-10, 03:06 PM
Lucan HP: 30/30 Surges: 11/11
AC:17 Fort:14 Ref:13 Will:16
At the sight of the rider, Lucan stops playing his lute. "Look, a rider up ahead." Lucan points to the rider and squints to make out the details.

Grimlock
2011-03-10, 03:18 PM
Lucan
As you peer ahead, you see the massive shape and horns of a minotaur.

Bridgar
2011-03-10, 03:33 PM

"Alright, there's a minotaur up ahead and we don't have time for a fight. They're quick to anger and fight unprovoked. So Finn, I want you to get off the road and hide. It should be obvious if we need you. Wiley, if you would stay behind me and stay quiet. I would prefer you not challenge him to a fight. We have to be very careful about how we go about talking to this guy, so I'll do the talking. We need to keep moving and we don't have time for any confrontations." Lucan politely gives orders, hoping they will be followed by his new companions.

Arq Kujos
2011-03-10, 05:30 PM
((OOC- Reddic and Galak are not near you just yet))

Reddic
You awoke to find a wild eyed hare staring at you. As your eyes open, so does its mouth and you hear the voice of the Duke speaking to you. Reddic, I know you’re searching for… I have my own eyes and ears open for her whereabouts, but I am calling you to keep our bargain. An agent of mine needs your help, a cleric going by the name of River is near you, find him and assist him in his task. He is two or three hours trek south of your location, bearing towards the town of Winningham. When the voice stops the hare flinches and darts away into the bushes.

Reddic

Reddic (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=280059), Human Fighter
Init +2 HP 29/29 Bloodied 14 Healing Surge 7 (0 used /12)
AC 17 Fort 17 Reflex 13 Will 12 Speed 5
Str 18 (+4) Con 14 (+2) Dex 14 (+2) Int 8 (-1) Wis 13 (+1) Cha 10 (0)

Reddic glared at the hare as it fled. "Pft,...Least he could do is leave me a meal." Reddic reached to his side, feeling the comforting slickness of his spear shaft. He rocked forward, nearly instantly rolling to his feet. He craned his neck, causing a loud popping to echo out into the otherwise quiet forest. She was still no where to be found. She came and left like the wind. "BAH! Damn gypsy woman." Reddic reached down, collected his pack, his shortsword, and spear. Reddic mounted his helm atop his head, and began to march South. Annoyed as he was, he DID have an agreement to fulfill. He hoped this wouldn't take too long.

salt3d
2011-03-10, 05:47 PM
Sitting on the bough of a tree, Galak contemplates his situation. Yes, it is time. If my life is to be of significance I must find others of a similar mind. I will bring shame upon myself if I further delay the inevitable.

Dropping to forest floor with barely a sound, he looks around to see a horse stamping at the ground impatiently. Recognising it as the horse trapped in the stable of a deserted farmhouse, a wry smile crosses Galak's face as he approaches it. "I freed you, friend, but still you follow me. Very well, you shall join me in my quest."

In an instant Galak mounts the horse and it charges through the forest to the road.

Shyftir
2011-03-10, 09:29 PM
" Wiley, if you would stay behind me and stay quiet. I would prefer you not challenge him to a fight." Lucan politely gives orders, hoping they will be followed by his new companions.

"And why pray tell would I challenge him to a fight?" Wiley replied with indignation. "I may be a warrior but that doesn't make me belligerent!" Wiley was not stepping back and being quiet in fact he was beginning to get loud. "Or is it because I'm a tiefling? Just because our ancestors made foolish pacts doesn't mean we're all hot-heads!"

It wasn't so much the suggestion, Wiley was more than happy to let others take the lead in dealing with strangers. It was the perfunctory order giving that Lucan did. It grated on Wiley's fierce independent streak.

Bridgar
2011-03-10, 10:21 PM

Lucan quietly tries to remedy the situation before approaching the minotaur. "I'm sorry if I've offended you. I meant nothing of your race, I just figured you'd enjoy sparring with an actual challenge to your martial prowess."
Hoping that he appeased his companion, Lucan turns to Finn. "You okay with this plan, Finn?"

Grimlock
2011-03-11, 03:11 AM
Galak
You make good time heading through the forest at speed. You pause every now and again and see evidence of the band you are tracking. You come out of the forest near an abandoned farm house, this one still whole and undamaged, but clearly empty. You investigate the house and its grounds and you discover tracks of a wagon and a group of riders heading back towards Taunton and Farspire, while hoof prints of a solitary rider continue towards Winningham- where the band of criminals are heading!
((OOC- Okay, you've got two options here salt3d- obviously this is building towards a fight with the band you're following. You can chase after Riverand get there in time for the fight but with no chance of discussion or introduction, or you can burn a healing surge to get there quicker and meet up with them before the fight begins!))
Reddic
Moving at a fast pace, the fighter makes good time through the forest. Although you are moving quickly you do see signs of habitation, as if a group have been camping out in the forest in and around this area for some time. You have heard rumours of farmers in the area being threatened but have seen no evidence of it so far, this could be the band that are doing it.
((OOC- Okay, you've got two options here Arq- obviously this is building towards a fight with the band that are terrorising farmers. You can head to the road and get there in time for the fight but with no chance of discussion or introduction to the other party members, or you can burn a healing surge to get there quicker and met up with them before the fight begins!))
Lian and River
The cleric waits while the odd looking rider, clearly not comfortable on a horse pulls to halt next to him.
Lucan, Wiley and Finn
As you continue along the road towards, you see second figure ride up and stop next to the minotaur.

salt3d
2011-03-11, 05:41 AM
Galak
Galak (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=280134), Githzerai Ranger/Seeker Hybrid
Init +6 HP 25/25 Bloodied 12 Healing Surge 6 (1 used /7)
AC 16 Fort 12 Reflex 14 Will 15 Speed 6
Str 11 (0) Con 13 (+1) Dex 18 (+4) Int 10 (0) Wis 18 (+4) Cha 8 (-1)

A combination of surprise and excitement fills Galak as his horse carries him swiftly through the forest. This is no ordinary horse, he thinks to himself, and to think it was left behind in a stable!

Galak dismounts his horse as he reaches the road and crouches down to take a close look at the tracks on it. From the farmhouse a wagon and several riders heading to town, he thinks. They should be safe in such numbers. Besides, the group I've been following is heading in the other direction.

He turns around and looks up the road in the direction of his quarry. That band is heading for the road up ahead. As his gaze returns to the road beneath his feet, Galak spies another set of tracks. A heavy rider heading in the same direction! If he left at the same time as the wagon, that band of troublemakers will cross his path at the road!

With a short whistle, Galak summons his horse. He leaps on to it and brings it quickly up to a gallop along the road towards the lone rider.

GrimlockI'll take the healing surge option, thanks.

Arq Kujos
2011-03-11, 06:31 AM
Reddic
Moving at a fast pace, the fighter makes good time through the forest. Although you are moving quickly you do see signs of habitation, as if a group have been camping out in the forest in and around this area for some time. You have heard rumours of farmers in the area being threatened but have seen no evidence of it so far, this could be the band that are doing it.
((OOC- Okay, you've got two options here Arq- obviously this is building towards a fight with the band that are terrorising farmers. You can head to the road and get there in time for the fight but with no chance of discussion or introduction to the other party members, or you can burn a healing surge to get there quicker and met up with them before the fight begins!))

OOC: (I'll burn the healing surge. I got plenty. )

Reddic continued to notice the signs all around him. While he was no woodsman or hunter, he had been trained to survive in difficult places. Broken branches, deep boot prints, and a even a fire pit. Reddic knew the rumors going around. Supposedly, bandits had been terrorizing the country side, stealing whatever they wanted without mercy or compassion. The thought of bandits hurting innocent people caused Reddic's foot steps to hurry, as he drew upon deep, inner reserves of strength.

Bridgar
2011-03-11, 06:35 AM
"Now what? Alright, I'm going to talk to them." Lucan rides ahead to meet the two riders. "Hello there! How are you this fine day?"

Shyftir
2011-03-11, 11:31 AM
"Fine." the word was bitten off quickly as Wiley reigned his horse in behind Lucan and followed him. Some how Wiley was managing to look both surly and nonchalant at the same time.

ooc: to Bridgar
He's a bit sensitive about his race. He's dealt with enough prejudice to make him see it when its not there sometimes. Also remember crunch is barbarian, fluff is scion of a tiefling warrior house.

PolkaBear
2011-03-11, 11:50 AM
Lian Tengu

Lian pulled the horse to a stop next to the minotaur. "You River?" he asked tersely.

Gillric
2011-03-11, 12:33 PM
Turning to regard the speaker, Who's asking and on what business?

PolkaBear
2011-03-11, 03:01 PM
Lian Tengu

"Since you dodged the question, I'm guessing you are. The Duke sent me here to help you out. Or bail you out, depending on the situation. Apparently he thought you needed someone of my credentials. I thought you had some other help, though. Are there others lagging behind? My name's Lian. You look like you can handle yourself well. To be honest, I haven't known many minotaurs. Taurii. Minotauruseseses. Any mino-whatsitss, really. What exactly is it you call yourselves?" The prattle came non-stop from the kenku's snapping beak, but he cocked his head at the last question and waited patiently for an answer.

The Tygre
2011-03-11, 03:58 PM
After seeing the others off, Kriv rushes down the road to catch up to River. Groggy, and a little miffed from sleeping in his armor, the dragonborn finally catches up to the minotaur.

OOC
People?! People are here?! If we have people again, I am all over this ****! Count me back in!

Gillric
2011-03-12, 10:03 AM
Can you prove that you are on the Duke's business? As far as other help, they decided to escort a family we encountered safely to the city. River, sensing that he was in a for a long round of introductions as the various approaching individuals reached him, dismounted and allowed his horse to graze.

PolkaBear
2011-03-12, 11:07 AM
Lian Tengu

"Oh, I see. Minotauruseseses it must be then." As he spoke, he handed over the Duke's letter. "Must be a doozy of a job if makes you so suspicious and makes your former companions chicken out like that. Not that I have anything against chickens, mind you--though their beaks are comically short."

He spryly hopped down off his own horse and shooed it over to join River's. "Those creatures are almost enough to make me wish I were still human. Those saddles are designed for people with thicker calves; and don't even get me started on the stirrups." He shook his head in seeming disgust, but his eyes still twinkled merrily.

Vinsurgent
2011-03-13, 06:40 PM
Sitting on the saddle of his riding dog (not so much a proper halfling riding dog as a half-wolf hunting hound, lured away from the Duke's kennel and fitted with a hack-job of a saddle) Finn suddenly shakes his head as if waking up from a trance- mizzen-keel-jib-sheet! He looks around with a confused look on his face, ....oh flames, my head! Are we there already? He tips the spent ash from his pipe, That is the LAST time I buy pipeweed from the Feywild...

Noticing the new faces ahead of him, he rides up next to Lucan and Wiley, Sorry about that, fellas. Who's that up ahead, friends or marks?

Grimlock
2011-03-14, 12:16 PM
Reddic
Upping your speed you race through the forest. Although not a woodsman, you have learned enough while campaigning to make great progress. You see fleeting glances of campfires in the area but you continue with all haste to the road, working your body hard. You erupt from the forest edge to see a gathering of an odd assortment of people 20 or 30 metres down the road, thus could be who his grace sent you to meet. (lose one healing surge)
Galak
Realising you have no time to waste you drive the horse onwards and it responds. You race down the road towards Winningham, eating through the miles and ahead you see a group forming, these could be the allies you have been seeking. (lose one healing surge)
Everyone Else
You all gather at the dismounted minotaur and assess each arrival. You have been sent by his grace to help, but you are untested together. Suddenly you notice a solitary rider galloping up the road behind you, moving at speed. At the same time a spear wielding warrior burst out of the forest and stands panting a few dozen metres up the road the other way n

Gillric
2011-03-14, 01:53 PM
I assume you must all be here on the Duke's business, what news do you have? Turning to address the strange fellow who keeps asking about minotaurs, It's Minotaurs by the way.

Shyftir
2011-03-14, 02:13 PM
"Well seems like The Duke feels strongly about making sure this gets done." The Tiefling warrior said loudly enough that everyone around could hear. "I suppose introductions are in order." He smiled broadly an expression faintly disquieting on the well muscled Tiefling. "I am known as Wiley. I'm a practitioner of the 'Flashing-Hawk' school."

He nodded his head slightly after finishing, expecting everyone to know what that means.

The Tygre
2011-03-14, 03:13 PM
"Oh, gods below it's a kenku. I've had nightmares that begin like this. Long, annoying, nightmares. Right, I've seen the others off. For those of you who are new, I'm Kriv. Try not to die under my watch." The dragonborn says sternly.