PDA

View Full Version : [Spycraft] Mission ideas

Harris the Ford
2010-10-11, 01:32 PM
so I'm DMing a spycraft game for 2 friends of mine. they have a face thats really good at lieing and impressing, and a raptor thats really good at acrobatics and sneaking. both are heavily skill-based with little combat prowess (though they can kill a person or two on their own in a pinch). So far I've only had them on one mission to stop a simultaneous bombing/poisoning or a party of delegates that went rather well. Now I'm trying to figure out more things for them to do that aren't outside of their realms of expertise, so they both can be doing something at the same time.

Right now they are working for an evil corporation that owns Google and most other information trafficking companies. An old teammate of theirs jumped ship, went bat **** crazy, and joined up with a Palestinian terrorist group. The CIA has a hit out on one of them thats so top-secret not even the president knows about it.

But basically I'm just looking for a mission idea that both of these guys could be a part of that plays to their strengths and is fun. Rule of Cool is always top priority.

BRC
2010-10-11, 01:57 PM
I can think of several mission ideas, the problem will be Split screening, having one player sit around doing nothing while the other is doing their thing. For example, you can have the Face sneak into an embassy party, while your raptor slips onto the grounds from behind. You could have them work an investigation, asking people questions and breaking into offices to get information. If your players are patient enough to handle switching the spotlight in this way, that's good. However, if they get bored easily, we might have a problem.

Assuming Split Screening is okay...

A cartel of arms dealers has been giving the Corporation trouble. The PC's are sent in to bring it down by starting a power struggle within it. The Face can work his way into the organization and encourage the ambitions of one of the underbosses, while at the same time trying to make the current leader paranoid and suspicious. The Raptor can break into various offices to get information, plant evidence, or fake assassination attempts. The two players need to coordinate their efforts to simultaneously convince the leader that the underboss is about to lead a coup against him, and convince the underboss that the leader is about to have him killed, then, as the cartel splits and tears itself apart with internal strife, the PC's vanish and congratulate themselves on a job well done.

The Face needs to get inside a very secure building with multiple security checkpoints. The Raptor needs to work simultaneously to make sure he gets past said checkpoints. As the Face approaches the first checkpoint, the Raptor scales the building and breaks into the server room, plugging in a disk drive (Provided by the corporation) that inserts credentials that will get the Face through the checkpoint. As the Face ducks into the closet and switches his clothing to impersonate a scientist, the Raptor needs to make sure the actual scientist is unconscious and tied up in a locked office somewhere. As the Face bluffs his way towards the labs, the Raptor needs to meet up with him and slip him a hidden camera. After the Face has seen the blueprints of the satellite death ray (or whatever), they need to meet up again so the Raptor can sneak the camera out of the building while the face waltzes out the front door.

DontEatRawHagis
2010-10-18, 09:40 AM
so I'm DMing a spycraft game for 2 friends of mine. they have a face thats really good at lieing and impressing, and a raptor thats really good at acrobatics and sneaking. both are heavily skill-based with little combat prowess (though they can kill a person or two on their own in a pinch). So far I've only had them on one mission to stop a simultaneous bombing/poisoning or a party of delegates that went rather well. Now I'm trying to figure out more things for them to do that aren't outside of their realms of expertise, so they both can be doing something at the same time.

Right now they are working for an evil corporation that owns Google and most other information trafficking companies. An old teammate of theirs jumped ship, went bat **** crazy, and joined up with a Palestinian terrorist group. The CIA has a hit out on one of them thats so top-secret not even the president knows about it.

But basically I'm just looking for a mission idea that both of these guys could be a part of that plays to their strengths and is fun. Rule of Cool is always top priority.

Faceman is much more in the field than a Raptor. When you have two guys like that have completely different play styles screen splitting is common. At least in Spycraft. Assuming this is 2.0 then have a mission involving both working at the same time is hard. The face needs to look inconspicuous while the Raptor needs to not be scene.

A good Raptor/intruder mechanic I've found are service entrances and air vents for novices. Sub-ceilings and wall scaling for experts. If you like add in an invisibility cloak.

A good idea for a next mission is to take care of the hit on your player's head. Unless the team doesn't know about it, they should see this as a major hindrance to their missions. BTW the President does not call hits at all, that stuff is for the Heads of the CIA and NSA to worry about. Less blood on the President's hands the better. Most Black Ops seldom are known by the President unless something goes wrong.

Have them break into a CIA facility to discover records of the hit. This could involve a Night Op. Where the Faceman enters while the Raptor sneaks. Raptor should take out the security obstacles placed in front of the Faceman while the Faceman plays ID card tango.

A common game play mechanic that can be brought over from Paranoia is the Access level. Your agent might get a Red Clearance level access car for the first floor, but he'll need to get a higher one for the other floors. This will require a lot of stealing ID Cards. Or taking out the security room guards. Highly trained guards should be there.

Stealing a guard's ID should garner him access to every hallway but not any secure office. He should be rewarded for thinking outside the box but don't forget to put up road blocks for your faceman. If he takes on a high access guy early on he should be stopped and asked questions a lot. Whether by security or by a nervous worker who needs an extension.

The Raptor should be hacking through doors and stealing IDs, placing them in locations for the Faceman to collect. This will help the Faceman and give him something to do. He could also takeout faceman disguises. There should be pressure sensors or lasers/cameras in certain rooms that the Raptor should take out. This could lead to the Raptor in the Security booth, taking down cameras.

Remember that a failed bluff check does not mean auto-expose, even with crit fail. Moscow Rule - Never Underestimate the enemy's capacity to rationalize the truth. (Must have left your key's)

Last but not least. If the mission is a quite mission, no one should know they were there. Put in some penalties for them doing it, like losing a faceman disguise or putting a bounty on the other agent. Disabling equipment and Card readers put them in a bind, but card readers shouldn't be too much trouble if they just want to see who placed the hit. Also nothing should be stolen if its quite

Done in class sorry if incoherant.