PDA

View Full Version : Good reward for an odd encounter (3.5)

gallagher
2010-10-11, 02:13 PM
So my group is about to come across this odd rock that has been helping dead bodies become undead, and are aimlessly wrecking some havoc. The party consists of a bearbarian, an archer and a gunslinger homebrew, all level 8.

I was thinking that maybe I could have some bullets and arrow heads made for them that will cast an inflict spell upon hitting ts target, but then what for the barbarian? Are there any ideas of better ways to reward them with a sample of this rock?

DaMullet
2010-10-11, 02:17 PM
What does the barbarian do? You could give him an inflict axe with some limit on the number of uses, or a runestone amulet that protects him from negative energy.

Noircat
2010-10-11, 03:08 PM
Something like a runestone or soulstone or some kind of fancily named chunk of this stuff that can be bound to a weapon for whatever damage or effect maybe once during the day or twice if both uses are at night or can be used by sacrificing hp.

Recharges at night or can only be used at night.

Can have different powers or a few different powers(roll 1d4 on each use to see what it does this time). This is especially good if it is a low magic campaign and you are looking for lots of magic flavor without tons of different magic items.

Maybe with the drawback that it causes nightmares for 24 hours after use and you can't sleep and suffer fatigue.

Mix and match these ideas for the flavor you want.

gallagher
2010-10-11, 03:13 PM
Something like a runestone or soulstone or some kind of fancily named chunk of this stuff that can be bound to a weapon for whatever damage or effect maybe once during the day or twice if both uses are at night or can be used by sacrificing hp.

Recharges at night or can only be used at night.

Can have different powers or a few different powers(roll 1d4 on each use to see what it does this time). This is especially good if it is a low magic campaign and you are looking for lots of magic flavor without tons of different magic items.

Maybe with the drawback that it causes nightmares for 24 hours after use and you can't sleep and suffer fatigue.

Mix and match these ideas for the flavor you want.

many good ideas! i think that by making the meatshield have to sacrifice HP, say 5 for every d8 that it causes, would keep him from abusing this power

Kol Korran
2010-10-11, 03:14 PM
we need more information about the rock and what it does exactly, and if possibly, the players and what they like. a few suggestions out of the top of my head though:

1) one of the souls that was just about to become undead thanks the party. she chooses one of them (whomever was bravest?) and ties to him for a short while, to repay the debt. it can give the joint character some sort of a moral bonus, or perhaps a minor spell ability such as healing (the soul was a warlock/ sorcerer/ favored soul etc.) the soul stays for up to 3 battles who are over the party's CR, and then depart.

This might be a good role play opportunity, and you might tie the soul to your future campaign or plot.

2) why does the rock make undead? make the rock be actually the head of an Ancient stone giant elder. (bigger than the usual variety) as it dies it whispers a last word "free my heart" and gives some sort of indication. the heart is buried/ locked/ whatever nearby, and it is surrounded by negative energy. the party may try to get it (disable trap? some sort of puzzle? just being brave and grabbing the heart, suffering energy drain or the like?) the freed heart can be used to cast various spells of the earth descriptor (check the monster manual's entry), but only with limited charges.

this too can lead later to a campaign or plot. if this sounds interesting to you, check the second link on my signature, and scroll down till you see a stone giant.

3) a few of the undead have been created, but they follow the head. or.... just a piece of it. the party get control of one- few unusuall undead to boss around. i suggest some with other abilities than just fighting. some ideas:
- some zombie flyers such as wyverns, manticores, griffons or even a dragon.
- something that can move fast, and may have a burrow speed. a dead purple worm?

4) if you're into personal items, let me think... :smallconfused: I suggest the remains of a previous party that tried to fight the head (hey, the party might fight them on their way to the head!). some ideas:
- some belt or whatever that ward of death effects (charges?) and maybe lessen ability loss from necromatic sources (shadows, specters and the like)
- A holy sash that grants whatever weapon it is tied to the "Bane- Undead" ability.
- a rod of undead turning: enables the holder to turn undead X times a day as if he was a cleric of 2 level less. possibly with the sun domain ability once per day.

if you want more necromatic items (could be left there by cults) how about:
- Shield/ armor/ sash (as above) that retributes negative energy to any striker. it might also give the wearer some skill bonuses, such as to intimidate.
- Amulet of dark blessing: the owner can activate the amulet for X rounds /day (or whenever he wants, your choice). when he does so he gets some damage reduction/ good (or silver?) but he also suffers a small amount of negative damage each round.
- souls forged bullets/ arrows: arrows that have the souls bound to them. when they hit their opponents, they try to break out, and therefor madden their victim (1d6 wis damage, will save for half?) not too many bullets, or this is a boos killer (or the DC could be not that high)

i hope this helped, you can always integrate some of these ideas together. please tell us what you ended up doing! good luck!:smallbiggrin:

Killer Angel
2010-10-11, 03:22 PM
The party consists of a bearbarian, an archer and a gunslinger homebrew, all level 8.

If this weren't a typo, it would be GREAT! :smallbiggrin:

Telonius
2010-10-11, 03:24 PM
I was thinking that maybe I could have some bullets and arrow heads made for them that will cast an inflict spell upon hitting ts target, but then what for the barbarian?

Maybe give him the rest of the rock that's left over after making the arrowheads? Smashing people's heads with a big rock seems like a perfectly Barbarian thing to do.

Keld Denar
2010-10-11, 03:52 PM

It probably wasn't a typo. Bearbarian is a relatively common term for any barbarian who splashes in some Bear Warrior and then often some Warshaper on top of that.

herrhauptmann
2010-10-11, 03:53 PM
many good ideas! i think that by making the meatshield have to sacrifice HP, say 5 for every d8 that it causes, would keep him from abusing this power
My reading is full of fail today.
You mean 5 HP for every d8 of inflict spell right? Not 5HP for every weapon strike enchanted?
What are you doing to limit the archers? Just minimizing the number of arrow heads they can get?

Perhaps, give the bearbarian 1 free use of the item a day, anytime after that it deals the damage to his body (sucks at his soul for stepping into the realms of foulest witchery)

Tyndmyr
2010-10-11, 03:56 PM

Clearly, you are unfamiliar with Bearington Bearman the Bearbearian (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140757). This must be fixed.

Random trivia: Googling Bearbearian links to wiki's Barbarian article. Truly, google is all knowing.

Dark_Nohn
2010-10-11, 04:38 PM
How about a +3 vicious axe? The +3 is good enough for its level to make him consider using the axe, despite vicious dealing 1d6 damage whenever used (plus 2d6 extra to whatever it hits)

Killer Angel
2010-10-12, 03:00 PM
It probably wasn't a typo. Bearbarian is a relatively common term for any barbarian who splashes in some Bear Warrior and then often some Warshaper on top of that.

But in the OP, later it's referred simply to "barbarian", and there wasn't any reference to warshaper.

Clearly, you are unfamiliar with Bearington Bearman the Bearbearian (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140757). This must be fixed.

Now I consider myself educated. :smallwink:

gallagher
2010-10-12, 03:03 PM
But in the OP, later it's referred simply to "barbarian", and there wasn't any reference to warshaper.

Now I consider myself educated. :smallwink:

sorry, but right now they are at level 7, so he is mostly barbarian. he is actually a pretty new player, often forgetting to power attack.

he does rage often though

Killer Angel
2010-10-12, 03:06 PM
he is actually a pretty new player, often forgetting to power attack.

I see...

Usually, my problem with PA, is "how much BAB can I afford to sacrifice?".
Don't worry, he'll learn.