PDA

View Full Version : How Much Cheese Would This Reduce?

Lord_Gareth
2010-10-11, 03:25 PM
I've been considering running a 3.5 campaign based on Incarceron (if you haven't read it already, DO SO NOW), but I've been concerned about wizards/sorcerers and breaking the setting, let alone my game. So, my question to you is: if the Incarceron-equivalent is a prison (say fifteen foot cielings on average, higher in some areas where I'll be providing flying mounts/climb checks) under a permanent dimensional anchor effect with no access to the other planes (so no summon spells of any kind and, for that matter, no Conjuration [Calling] effects), how much cheese have I sliced out of spellcasters?

Before someone mentions them, my group doesn't own (and thus doesn't use) PHBII, Spell Compendium, or Magic Item Compendium, so I don't need to worry about Celerity, Spellsurge, et al. SRD + Libris Mortis, Races of Destiny, Weapons of Legacy, all Monster Manuals, BoVD, BoED, CompArc, CompWar, CompAdv, and FRCS & PGTF (some feats/PrCs allowed, not all).

Flickerdart
2010-10-11, 03:28 PM
Battlefield control and SoX still ruins the day for enemies, and not getting hit is as simple as miss chance stacking. All these rules do is force someone to play tank.

kestrel404
2010-10-11, 03:42 PM
There are answers to each of your limitations. Indeed, the general idea of trying to place limitations on the tier 1 classes is generally doomed to failure.

Easier is that you just cut the tier 1 and 2 classes out of your game if you don't want them. Have bards in place of sorcerors, and warmages, beguilers and the necromancer class (I forget the name) in place of wizards. Mystic Shapeshifter rangers in place of druids and Warlocks in place of Clerics. Yes, warlocks. Just give them a free eldritch essence that allows them to channel positive energy (thus, healing blast) and you've got a very nice tier 3 healer.

Scow2
2010-10-11, 03:51 PM
Or just use the Healer as healer, not Warlock.

And healing in D&D is much better served with scrolls and potions than spell slots.

Tyndmyr
2010-10-11, 03:54 PM
I've been considering running a 3.5 campaign based on Incarceron (if you haven't read it already, DO SO NOW), but I've been concerned about wizards/sorcerers and breaking the setting, let alone my game. So, my question to you is: if the Incarceron-equivalent is a prison (say fifteen foot cielings on average, higher in some areas where I'll be providing flying mounts/climb checks) under a permanent dimensional anchor effect with no access to the other planes (so no summon spells of any kind and, for that matter, no Conjuration [Calling] effects), how much cheese have I sliced out of spellcasters?

Not a lot. Scry still works. Nightmare still works. Therefore, scry and die is possible.

Miss chances are still stackable, as are other buffs.

Polymorph is still every bit as broken.

Wish is still godly.

Meh, no point trying to ban every single possible trouble spot. There's just too many. Just talk to your players if it becomes an issue.

HMS Invincible
2010-10-11, 06:59 PM
This concept always make me wonder, how hidden are the cheesy combos? If people aren't stupid, but not brilliant, are they really tier 1? It seems to me teir one heroes are ranked that high because they get infinite knowledge and therefore get to do whatever they want to solve every problem. What about limiting their knowledge/and or spells?