PDA

View Full Version : Crusader Steely Resolve

aeauseth
2010-10-11, 05:01 PM
I'm looking for some clarity with Steely Resolve. The mechanics between rounds is a bit confusing. The important part of the ability is:

When you are attacked, any hit point damage the blow deals is added to your delayed damage pool. At the end of your next turn, you take damage equal to the total stored in your delayed damage pool, which then resets to 0.

Assume Steely Resolve 10.

Round1: I take 15 points of damage. Steely Resolve puts 10 points in my delayed damage pool. I take 5 HP damage immediatly.

Round2: I take no damage, but at the end of my turn I take the 10 points in my damage pool and the pool gets set back to 0.

That's fairly simple, but what if on Round2 I take 8 points of damage? Do I keep track of a seperate damage pool or is my pool full? Do I take 10 (from damage pool) at the end of the round and 8 immediately (because pool is maxed)? Or do I take 10 at the end of the round and put 8 back in the damage pool?

Keld Denar
2010-10-11, 05:08 PM
Its generally assumed that you take damage on a turn other than your own. While you can take damage on your own turn (such as from AoO, persistant magical effects, etc), its generally from a bad guy beating on you.

So you'd have something like this:

Turn 1, Crusader's Steely Resolve is empty, Crusader hits something
Turn 1.5, orcs charge Crusader and hit him for 15 points (5 now, 10 later)
Turn 2, Crusader's Steely Resolve has 10 points, for +2 Furious Counterstrike. At this end of this turn, the 10 points from the orcs dumps into his HP total (unless he fixes them with DR (Stone Bones), healing (Crusader Strike, Martial Stance, spells), or gains temp HP to negate the loss (Stone Powah!).
Turn 2.5, orcs hit Crusader again for 10 points, all goes to Steely Resolve.
Turn 3, Crusader takes his turn again, at the end of the turn, Steely Resolves dumps again into his HP total.

etc etc etc.

Steely Resolve isn't like DR. It deals with the net sum of the damage you took the previous round. If its full, the rest of the damage just overflows to your HP total, regardless of how many attacks you take.

If you take damage on your OWN turn (such as from an AoO), you should probably determine if that damage dumps on the end of the current turn, or at the end of the next turn, and stay consistant. As always, damage that exceeds your Steely Resolve total goes directly to your HP total. The rules don't really cover that.

Frosty
2010-10-11, 05:25 PM
You take 8 immediately because your pool is full.

aeauseth
2010-10-11, 05:27 PM
Thanks Keld Denar, your example made it very clear for me, thanks!

BenTheJester
2010-10-11, 09:29 PM
Let's assume you have Steely Resolve 10

Round 1: you take 5 damage, they all go in your pool

Round 2: During your turn you take 3 damage from an AoO.

What happens then? Do you take 8 damage at the end of round 2, or do you take 5 damage at the end of round 2, and 3 at the end of round 3?

(I'm assuming the former)

Frosty
2010-10-12, 12:45 AM
Former is correct. The pool empties at the end of the next turn compared to when you FIRST took damage.