PDA

View Full Version : Help optimize me! (And my party)

Loki_42
2010-10-11, 05:10 PM
I'm currently playing a Red Hand of Doom PbP game, and even though nothing too bad has happened yet, I'm a little worried about our groups abilities.
We are:

Me- a Pixie(http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8592607&postcount=512) Rogue who is acting as the parties face and part time skill monkey.
We also have a Paladin of Slaughter, who is a little new to the game, and doesn't really get Optimization.
And finally, A Blaster Wizard. Focusing on Fire Spells. In an adventure focusing on Dragons. Sadly, he also knows little on Optimization, and has his heart set on the Fire Blaster.

All books allowed, Homebrew and Third party on case-by-case basis. Help me out Playground! Also, it's our first time playing it, so no spoiler's please

Keld Denar
2010-10-11, 05:18 PM
There is actually a fair bit of synergy between the pally and the wizard. Pally's aura is like free Greater Spell Focus for the wizard when he's standing near something. He should look into increasing this effect. 4 levels of Hexblade after Pally3-4 would give him the Dark Companion alt class features (PHBII) and the Hex ability for another stacking -4 on saves. Also, maxing ranks in Intimdate and using the Demoralize action can add the Shaken condition which imposes a further -2, for a total of -8 on saves. Blasty McFireWiz shouldn't have any problem making foes HOTHOTHOT that way. It also keeps the pally safe since most of those penalties also apply to attacks as well, effectively increasing his AC by 8.

For the wizard, Searing Spell (Sandstorm) is pretty important. It makes fire spells so hot that they straight up ignore Fire Resistance, and even deal 1/2 damage to creatures that are immune to fire or have the [Fire] subtype. Adding on something like Easy Megamagic or Practical Metamagic for Searing Spell allows him to add it to all of his fire spells for no spell slot increase.

For you, I'd suggest Darkstalker and LOTS of ranks in hide. Dargons all have Blindsight, which pretty much negates your natural Invisibility. Darkstalker plus mundane hiding will go a long ways toward negating that advantage.

Loki_42
2010-10-12, 02:10 PM
Thank you. Also, what ways are there to optimize a Wu Jen trying to be a Buffer, that's the DMPC that coming in because another guy left.

Amphetryon
2010-10-12, 02:32 PM
The following presumes a buff-focused Wu-Jen. Other spells are quite likely better but off focus.

The Wu-Jen should probably focus on Earth or, alternately, Metal as his element.

For general spells:

Scales of the Lizard is a unique Wu-Jen spell that works well at 1st level and maintains at least some utility going forward.
At 2nd level, Blur and See Invisible are among the best buffer spells for Wu-Jen, while Wall of Gloom is party-friendly.
Haste, Displacement and Commune with Lesser Spirits are good to decent 3rd level choices.
Combine Good Hope with Pain in 4th level slots to provide a major shift in power toward the group.
If the DMPC doesn't care about XP (XP is a river or the DMPC just always levels with the party), Permanency is a no-brainer at 5th, and probably worth it regardless.
Repulsion and Transfix work at 6th level to shape the battlefield to your benefit.
7th level spells of note include Energy Immunity and Sword of Darkness.
Finding the Center is a solid choice of 8th level spell, as is Power Word Stun.
At 9th level, Absorption helps your allies, and everyone loves Gating in Solars.