PDA

View Full Version : Wizards and Scrolls [3.5]

DarkOrion
2010-10-11, 06:33 PM
Wizards are designed in such a way that they cast a good portion of their spells from scrolls that they have saved up. They have a wider selection and better specialization than Sorcerers, but they have far few spells per day. To make up for this, they have scrolls. But can a Wizard use a scroll to cast a spell he normally can't? I know he can't cast spells from prohibited schools, but can he cast spells that he does not have access to yet? Say a first level wizard picks up a scroll of Power Word, Kill. And he goes to use it... does he still just roll his Caster Level vs the Caster Level of the scroll +1?

Susano-wo
2010-10-11, 06:37 PM
Scrolls use your caster level, I believe. EDIT: or not >.>
BUt you can use spells from your lists that you don't know yet. It just takes a caster level check (or maybe spellcraft check, can't recall) to make sure you don't flub it. Its pretty low, if I recall, meaning that you can do 1 or maybe 2 lkevels above pretty easily.

AslanCross
2010-10-11, 06:38 PM
Yes, he can cast spells that appear on his spell list from scrolls that are too high in level to cast. Of course, doing so can have unwanted consequences, but for the most part it's easy to make the CL check.

Getting scrolls that are too high-level to cast is difficult and/or expensive, though, and he might be better off just saving the scroll until he can scribe it, or selling it.

Scrolls use your caster level, I believe.
BUt you can use spells from your lists that you don't know yet. It just takes a caster level check (or maybe spellcraft check, can't recall) to make sure you don't flub it. Its pretty low, if I recall, meaning that you can do 1 or maybe 2 lkevels above pretty easily.

Nope, scrolls use the CL with which they were scribed. Only staves use the wielder's CL instead. It is indeed a CL check, and it's pretty low.
It's a Spellcraft check to identify the spell.

Jack_Simth
2010-10-11, 06:41 PM
Wizards are designed in such a way that they cast a good portion of their spells from scrolls that they have saved up. They have a wider selection and better specialization than Sorcerers, but they have far few spells per day. To make up for this, they have scrolls. But can a Wizard use a scroll to cast a spell he normally can't? I know he can't cast spells from prohibited schools, but can he cast spells that he does not have access to yet? Say a first level wizard picks up a scroll of Power Word, Kill. And he goes to use it... does he still just roll his Caster Level vs the Caster Level of the scroll +1?
Yes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm#deciphertheWriting), but you don't want to deal with the mishaps of a failed caster level check. If you're 1st or 2nd level, and Power Word Kill decides to go off on one of your allies, well....

ericgrau
2010-10-11, 06:47 PM
A DC 5 wisdom check prevents a mishap. With that and the (usually) easy caster level check, a mishap is highly unlikely. And, heck, your ally may survive the spell.

Scrolls work well on sorcerers too. You buy them.

holywhippet
2010-10-11, 06:56 PM
This raises another question. The rules allow you to "convert" a spell when scribing by helping another caster so you can make a divine version of an arcane spell or an arcane version of a divine spell. I assume a use magical device check is still required to cast from the scroll if the spell isn't in your spell list?

Jack_Simth
2010-10-11, 07:35 PM
This raises another question. The rules allow you to "convert" a spell when scribing by helping another caster so you can make a divine version of an arcane spell or an arcane version of a divine spell. I assume a use magical device check is still required to cast from the scroll if the spell isn't in your spell list?Yep. Under normal circumstances, that Arcane spell of Cure Light Wounds is usable only by the Bard, or the guy with Use Magic Device (also likely the Bard or Rogue). Of course, this is also the loophole that the Archivist finds really, really tasty....

ericgrau
2010-10-11, 08:18 PM
The spell itself has the arcane or divine type so I don't think you can convert it. I believe a wizard could scribe a scroll of cure light wounds with the help of the cleric but it would be divine.