PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Magic Field Uses and Questions

Logalmier
2010-10-11, 08:16 PM
Ok, first off I have a question about the Anti-Magic Field spell. If you are a spellcaster and use whatever feat or skill (such as the Archmages shaping ability) to cast an Anti-Magic field on yourself, but with a hole in the center where you stand, then what sort of spells will you still be able to cast? For example, I know that the Orb line of spells can be cast through an Anti-Magic Field, but can a Flesh to Stone be cast through it? Similarly, I know that a Disintegrate spell would be stopped by an Anti-Magic Field, but would a Finger of Death spell or Summoning spells be stopped? (I know that summoned monsters don't exist inside the field, but could you still summon them to appear outside?)

With that asked, can the Playground provide ideas as to how to use an Anti-Magic Field as a spellcaster effectively? The spellcaster in question has the Archmage ability to shape spells btw, so there will always be a space in the center of the field for the spellcaster to cast in. Obviously there will be more uses for an Anti-Magic Field if you can cast things like Flesh to Stone through it, but even if there aren't could you give me some possible ideas? Thanks.:smallsmile:

Emmerask
2010-10-11, 08:39 PM
Well first of an emanation with a hole where the origin should be seems a bit strange but well you seemed to have ruled it differently which is by raw more correctly I guess?

The spells are only suppressed by the antimagic field, the caster however is not in the antimagic field but in the hole so he is subject to any single target (that includes disintegrate :smallwink:) or line of effect spells making the protection it offers rather pointless, though this of course means that he can cast those spells too :smallwink:

The orb spells can effect persons inside an amf because they are not magical anymore