PDA

View Full Version : New weapon ideas?

Christopher K.
2010-10-12, 07:30 AM
Hey, I've been working on an arcade style shooter game for the past 3 months, called Deus Ex Machina. One of the main things I'd still like to do is come up with about 6-12 more weapons, since the main idea of the game is to have a spaceship that's essentially armed to the teeth. Does anybody have any suggestions for weapons?

(The game can be found here.) (http://toyboxmonolith.com/games/)

GodGoblin
2010-10-12, 07:39 AM
A cannon.. That shoots a drill! its can burrow into ships and explodes!... And stuff!

..Man I should get paid for this, its just too good :smallcool:

Domochevsky
2010-10-12, 07:59 AM
...what's "Unity Web Player"? :smallconfused:

Also, what weapons do you currently have?

Thanatos 51-50
2010-10-12, 08:03 AM
SPACE BEES!

That is all.

Raimun
2010-10-12, 08:04 AM
A railgun... that shoots lightsabers.

That is all.

Cespenar
2010-10-12, 08:10 AM
A bullet shooter!

GodGoblin
2010-10-12, 08:17 AM
A bullet shooter!

...Mind blown.

Zen Monkey
2010-10-12, 08:27 AM
EMP projectile with a time delay. An object is launched which will emit an electro-magnetic pulse near the target ship, giving your ship enough distance to not be affected. You can pretty much design whatever weakness/debuff you want that is based around a ship losing it's computer functions.

Christopher K.
2010-10-12, 09:06 AM
A cannon.. That shoots a drill! its can burrow into ships and explodes!... And stuff!

..Man I should get paid for this, its just too good :smallcool:

So basically the Crash Bomb? Yeah, I think that'd be doable. Thanks!

...what's "Unity Web Player"? :smallconfused:

Also, what weapons do you currently have?

Unity is the program I'm working with.

Right now I've got guided missiles, lasers, regular bullets, bullets that pierce through ships, a pulse weapon, mines, bombs, and bullets that travel in an arc. And a shield, but the shield isn't quite working yet.

SPACE BEES!

That is all.

I think that falls under the category of guided missile.

A railgun... that shoots lightsabers.

That is all.

Well, the railgun part is at least doable. Not so sure about lightsabers.

A bullet shooter!

...Mind blown.

Whoa, there, that's WAY too complicated. :smallwink:

EMP projectile with a time delay. An object is launched which will emit an electro-magnetic pulse near the target ship, giving your ship enough distance to not be affected. You can pretty much design whatever weakness/debuff you want that is based around a ship losing it's computer functions.

That'd be pretty cool. I'll look into that.

GodGoblin
2010-10-12, 09:14 AM
Maybe some form of ram? You could build a large armoured shunt on the front of the ship and some kind of super boost/short momentum building teleport engine to hammer into other ships?

Or a rocket proppelled clamp that grabs on to other ships and pushed them off course.

Trying to think outside the box a bit here lol

AtwasAwamps
2010-10-12, 09:20 AM
I feel like a fairly standard option in games of this type is drones...little launchable weapon platforms.

Christopher K.
2010-10-12, 09:28 AM
Maybe some form of ram? You could build a large armoured shunt on the front of the ship and some kind of super boost/short momentum building teleport engine to hammer into other ships?

Or a rocket proppelled clamp that grabs on to other ships and pushed them off course.

Trying to think outside the box a bit here lol
Either one is interesting, but I don't know if I can implement them at this point.

I feel like a fairly standard option in games of this type is drones...little launchable weapon platforms.
I've been considering that, but wasn't entirely sure about it. I COULD just make them fire blindly and occasionally hit the player..

AtwasAwamps
2010-10-12, 09:41 AM
Either one is interesting, but I don't know if I can implement them at this point.

I've been considering that, but wasn't entirely sure about it. I COULD just make them fire blindly and occasionally hit the player..

Why have them hit the player? That'll just make 'em something nobody will use...if you've got a real bullet hell situation going on, one extra hit is going to be a nightmare.

Kyouhen
2010-10-12, 10:49 AM
Mine launcher. It launches mines in random directions around the player, which then float there until an enemy hits them. They won't trigger until they've stopped moving. Make them short ranged and they'll be great for players who have a tendancy to move around the screen alot.

Rhydeble
2010-10-12, 10:51 AM
A gun...... That fires guns!

SparkMandriller
2010-10-12, 11:28 AM
A weapon that shoots rain.
And the rain only shoots down.
And it doesn't do very much damage.

okay yeah maybe don't put a misty lady in your game

But really, how many weapons do you need? You have too many, and you just end up with loads of redundant ones that nobody ever uses. No point in that, right?

factotum
2010-10-12, 12:55 PM
Massive, massive beam cannon? Sounds like most of the weapons you already have are some sort of projectile gun, so an instant-hit beam would be a nice variation!

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-10-12, 01:04 PM
Huge problem with this game, in my opinion...my attacks (at the start, with the default weapon) look JUST LIKE THE ATTACKS OF MY ENEMIES. I don't know which to dodge.

Also, consider a weapon switching method instead of the arbitrarily large amount of hotkeys you have. That discourages me from playing, as I don't want to have to play piano on the keyboard to use all my weapons.

Triaxx
2010-10-12, 01:05 PM
A hed gun.

MoelVermillion
2010-10-12, 01:31 PM
Bumper shot, small wave that knocks enemy attacks back at them? Obviously you'd have to play around with balancing this so that it didn't make you virtually invulnerable.

Geno9999
2010-10-12, 05:26 PM
Some weapon ideas:
Flare Shot (a weapon that fires a regular pellet, then explodes into several pellets after traveling a certain distance.)
3 way Shot (just merge the Left, Middle and Right normal guns and you get this.)
Black Hole Bomb (Limited use. Possibly only gained by picking up a powerup. A time bomb that sucks in everything (including you) around it when it goes off. Black Hole disappears after a while.)

Other than that, take Djinn_In_Tonic's advice and have a Weapon switching method.

halloweenmeyer4
2010-10-12, 07:03 PM
i was thinking this, the new LIBRA project creates plasma by shooting a laser through a metal, or plastic or whatever, so if we created a gun that held a clip of metal or plastic sheets and connected the newest portable laser the Arctic we could create plasma weapons easily. Am I right?

Thanatos 51-50
2010-10-14, 06:21 PM
I think that falls under the category of guided missile.

Give it a poison/confusion effect, too.

dromer
2010-10-14, 08:27 PM
Huge problem with this game, in my opinion...my attacks (at the start, with the default weapon) look JUST LIKE THE ATTACKS OF MY ENEMIES. I don't know which to dodge.

Also, consider a weapon switching method instead of the arbitrarily large amount of hotkeys you have. That discourages me from playing, as I don't want to have to play piano on the keyboard to use all my weapons.

Lies. I recall playing Netrek, and that was a piano on your keyboard, however using all of the weapons at once is not as much fun as picking and choosing at the beginning of the game.

As for weapons,
Focus fire, with a target reticule
Blade (a la Radiant Silvergun)

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-10-14, 09:32 PM
Lies. I recall playing Netrek, and that was a piano on your keyboard, however using all of the weapons at once is not as much fun as picking and choosing at the beginning of the game.

Man, that one time I tried to play piano on my keyboard... THAT was like trying to play piano on my keyboard!

Also: something slow, but with a giant timed explosion that has to be dodged.

Dienekes
2010-10-14, 10:39 PM
The Bear Cannon.

It is a cannon that shoots bears. Space Bears that latch onto your opponent's hull and try to eat it.

Fayd
2010-10-15, 01:54 AM
Couple of ideas:

A high cooldown MASSIVE damage, short duration laser. Some appropriately epic sounding name, like the Excalibur Cannon.

A Singularity Cannon that creates a miniature black hole at a point in front of the ship. This ship destroys everything that hits the (very small) center of the hole but accelerates things towards the center.

The Wave Beam. An electrical laser pulse (shamelessly ripped from metroid) that travels in a sine wave forward and (possibly) pierces targets.

Projectile Shield: A curiously offensive defensive tool that fires a shield force-field forward that destroys enemy projectiles and missiles but bumps enemy ships away from the line of action. (can be used for interesting combinations)

Macross Missile (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MacrossMissileMassacre): Fires a single missile forward that, upon reaching a short distance away from the player craft explodes into many, many... MANY... smaller missiles that streak after enemies.

Trick Shot: A laser that reflects off of enemy ships, only causing damage on the second and higher targets (causes more damage the more times it has reflected)

The Nosferatu Beam: Fires a strange energy beam that paralyzes an enemy ship, draining their shield or health for your own.

Good luck on your project! I hope I was able to help a little.

Draconi Redfir
2010-10-15, 02:18 AM
1. a large laser that points forward, so if you rotate your ship it moves, but it costs shield energy. (Make the shield recharge maybe?)

2. Scatter missiles: missiles that fly in all directions around the ship

3. Cluster bombs: press the key once, a single orb pops out. Press it again; it detonates, destroying any ships within its radius. at the very edge of the radius, three more bombs are dropped in a triangle pattern, hit the key a third time and these will detonate. (Fourth time drops the first bomb again)

4. Pushback shield: temporary shield that has its own shield bar, and constantly expands outwards from starting position until it hits a wall. (If any part of the shield hits a wall, the whole thing stops) any enemy weapons that hit the shield are absorbed, (make this shield have a larger shield bar then the ship?) and enemy ships are pushed backwards. (Enemy ships that are caught between the shield and a wall are crushed and destroyed) your ship can still fire SOME of its weapons outside it.

5. Seeker mines: mines that seek out and detonate enemy ships. Maximum of 5-10 at any given time.

6. minigun. hold down key, fire small, weak bullets continuously.

7. Conversion missile/bomb. A missile (or bomb) that is fired, and (if it hits) converts any hit enemies to your side. New alleys will act to enemies the same way they did to you, and a small percentage of enemies will attack them.

8. flash bomb. enemies are stunned for a small amount of time. they don’t move, they don’t shoot, and they are possibly killed in one hit, no matter the weapon.

that’s all i got.

Archonic Energy
2010-10-15, 04:13 AM
a direct line laser with low damage, so you have to keep the beam on the enemies for a bit.

Cespenar
2010-10-15, 05:37 AM
a direct line laser with low damage, so you have to keep the beam on the enemies for a bit.

An advanced version of this, which grows in power and thickness as long as you keep the beam on your enemies. Like the Void Ray in SC II.

Fayd
2010-10-18, 07:04 PM
The Bear Cannon.

It is a cannon that shoots bears. Space Bears that latch onto your opponent's hull and try to eat it.

I got an image of the gummi bears from Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs when I read this. ...

And now I am of the opinion that it should be made by some game. Somewhere. Somehow.

Makensha
2010-10-18, 07:25 PM
-A weapon that hits an enemy and creates an AoE time stop effect around them.

-A plague shot. Hits one enemy and applies a DoT. After __ seconds, plague jumps to nearby enemies.

-A large cone effect that slows all enemies hit by it and decreases their attack rate.

-Jumps your ship forward a small distance. Large enough to avoid an impending shot or get out of a circle of enemies.

-Illusion. Makes a fake ship that your enemies might shoot at instead of you.

-Enemies within a point blank radius of the ship take heavy damage each second.

-Nanobot spray. Shoots out a cone of nanobots that then eat at any enemy caught in the spray. For every ____ enemies destroyed by the nanobots, you gain another life.

-Causes enemies in an area to shoot at their "allies" for a period of time.

xp194
2010-10-18, 08:35 PM
Gatling Rocket Launcher.

Dooo eeet noaw

Maeglin_Dubh
2010-10-21, 12:47 PM
Something that shoots shurikens and lightning.