PDA

View Full Version : Ways to gain poison use.

Kaeso
2010-10-12, 08:06 AM
I'm currently interested in building a sneaky, assassin-esque swordsage that can use poison, but the 5% chance of poisoning yourself can become quite a bother, especially with the more deadly con-draining types. Therefore I'd like to know what ways there are to gain poison use. I know the assassin (or avanger) prestige class grant it but IMHO it's a waste to just use a one level dip for it, and taking 5 rogue levels, 1 assassin/avenger level and from there on swordsage sort of weakens my build IMHO. I also know that the ninja base class grants it at level three but in that case I'd rather go for the assassin dip. Does anybody know a way to gain it without wasting initiator levels?

Thefurmonger
2010-10-12, 08:10 AM
I was actually about to post the same question, but for a Beguiller

J.Gellert
2010-10-12, 08:13 AM
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=6qf2qu7qdt7l8kfv2sh99l4c32&topic=4854.msg162788#msg162788

The above link includes a few ways, but I think it wouldn't be too unreasonable to ask your DM if you can take it as a feat.

Edit: Nevermind, there is actually a feat. It's in Drow of the Underdark.

Quietus
2010-10-12, 08:17 AM
Also worth considering is that being outright immune to poison, if you can find ways to swing that, does the job just as well.

Amphetryon
2010-10-12, 08:19 AM
All Hail the Surrealdex.
Poison Use
Assassin 1, ecl 6
Black Flame Zealot 2, ecl 7, Complete Divine
Blackguard 1, ecl 7, DMG
Whisperknife 6, ecl 11, Races of the Wild
Justice of Weald and Woe
Monk of the Long Death
Ninja 3, Complete Adventurer
Zhentarim Spy
Shadow HUnter 1, ecl 6, Eberron: Dragonmarked
Scorpion Wraith 1, ecl 6, Eberron: Secrets of Xen'drik
Bard 1, drow substitution level, Drow of the Underdark
Rogue 1, drow substitution level, Drow of the Underdark
Dread Fang of Lloth 2, ecl ?, Drow of the Underdark

Kaeso
2010-10-12, 08:19 AM
Also worth considering is that being outright immune to poison, if you can find ways to swing that, does the job just as well.

And how do you become immune to poison, besides being a warforged or undead?

Quietus
2010-10-12, 08:27 AM
I know several classes get it, but usually not till later in their advancement - not helpful in this case. Druids and Monks both get it, but the Monk's is at like.. level 13.

Race is usually the faster way; Undead and constructs, elementals, oozes, and plants all have it by way of their type, and individual races like Duergar get it as part of their racial packages. Unfortunately, I don't have an exhaustive list of everything that offers that particular ability, though it wouldn't surprise me if there was a list somewhere that did. Of course, if you can pump your Fort save high enough and get Steadfast Determination (never fail fort saves on a 1), you get the same basic thing, plus possibly a will boost in the process.

Person_Man
2010-10-12, 08:31 AM
Poison Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854.0).

Also, poison is a pretty lousy thing to invest resources in, because so many things are immune and the return on investment is minimal.