PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) gestalt idea that i got late last night

gallagher
2010-10-12, 10:02 AM
so last night my buddy sent me a text that he was thinking about running a game where we are all theif-style characters, and possibly gestalt, with the rules being it has to be themed around being the best thief you can be. it should be around level 10. he is just starting to plan his campaign

so i present to you my fun fun fun build, though it is still in the rough-draft stages.

one side is entirely warlock, and all my invocations will be the utility ones, like devils sight and spider climb. the other side is a spellthief/sorcerer/unseen seer build.

i wont be preparing any blast spells, because i have no real need for them, and they tend to cause attention. my spells will be illusions and abjurations mostly.

i will probably make this a human, but i was thinking that instead of going sorc, i could take wizard levels, be a high INT character, and be a whisper gnome

Keld Denar
2010-10-12, 10:08 AM
Since you are going for utility over endurance, Wizard will give you a much broader reach than Sorcerer.

Also, don't forget about your awesome Divinations! USS gets you access to the really fun stuff like Hunter's Eye and whatnot.

Also, UMD. DOOOO EEEET!!!!

gallagher
2010-10-12, 12:24 PM
Since you are going for utility over endurance, Wizard will give you a much broader reach than Sorcerer.

Also, don't forget about your awesome Divinations! USS gets you access to the really fun stuff like Hunter's Eye and whatnot.

Also, UMD. DOOOO EEEET!!!!

to be quite honest, i often pair utility with endurance. this is because if i have lots of uses, my party is more willing to protect me if i am in a spot of trouble (we tend to be evil parties, but we RP it well so the group stays cohesive and we keep what happens in game in game). also, with more utility, i can last longer, for example: spider climb helps me get away from enemies. darkness+devils sight lets me run away. i dont have the book in front of me, but there is that one that lets me run away invisibly while an illusion of me runs in another direction. the only thing a warlock is missing to completely take over the scout role is skill points.

spellthief meshes well with it. i just have to figure out my spell list i guess. the UMD will be wonderful with divine spells

Keld Denar
2010-10-12, 12:27 PM
there is that one that lets me run away invisibly while an illusion of me runs in another direction.

Flee the Scene, and its a Dim Door like effect that leaves an illusion of you giving the double finger salute.

gallagher
2010-10-12, 12:36 PM
Flee the Scene, and its a Dim Door like effect that leaves an illusion of you giving the double finger salute.
the double finger salute butt naked, you mean.

but yeah, i actually think this combo would work incredibly well. my damage will be pretty consistant, and with a good Dex and improved initiative, and a hummingbird familiar, effective invisibility, attack from hidden, and attacking in the dark, i will be getting alot of sneak attack die.

can i steal buffs from other people's equipment?

Keld Denar
2010-10-12, 12:41 PM
If its an ongoing spell effect, you can. Like, if someone had a Ring of Blinking running, you could steal the Blink effect because the ring actually casts Blink. If someone had a Ring of Freedom of Movement, you couldn't steal that because its a continuous effect rather than a spell cast from the ring. Bascially, if it takes an action to activate, you can steal it. If its a passive effect that is always on, you can't.

Besides, you won't have enough Spellthief levels to actually steal ongoing spells. You'll only be able to steal memorized spells and slots.

gallagher
2010-10-12, 12:46 PM
If its an ongoing spell effect, you can. Like, if someone had a Ring of Blinking running, you could steal the Blink effect because the ring actually casts Blink. If someone had a Ring of Freedom of Movement, you couldn't steal that because its a continuous effect rather than a spell cast from the ring. Bascially, if it takes an action to activate, you can steal it. If its a passive effect that is always on, you can't.

Besides, you won't have enough Spellthief levels to actually steal ongoing spells. You'll only be able to steal memorized spells and slots.

i was actually thinking of taking 2 levels of spellthief. i dont know how much magic is used in the campaign, but i do know that at the very least every armed guard has some sort of buff on him.

also, it is a possibility that i might just go straight spellthief and not take the wizard levels, and maybe not the unseen seer. yes, they make for an awesome build, but i am playing around with the idea still and trying to see what build fits the character.

Keld Denar
2010-10-12, 12:51 PM
You could always do something like ST4/Wizard1/USS10 instead of the more classic ST1/Wiz4/USS10. Given that you have your Warlock invocations for extra mileage, the lost caster levels aren't AS big of a hurt. Also, ST4 gives you the ability to cast your OWN spells from the magical energy you steal. That way you aren't stuck with a crappy spell if the bad guy you knife only has crappy spells. I wouldn't take ST all the way to 20 though...not really enough content there to make it worthwhile, not compared to what you gain even with stunted Wizard casting.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-12, 01:40 PM
I suggest you take the feat At home in the Deep/darkness (DotU), which basically gives you HiPS at level 1, costing you only your first invocation and feat.

Myth
2010-10-12, 03:35 PM
My advice is be a Whisper Gnome Conjurer with Abrupt Jaunt (to get out of nasty situations) going for Incantatrix (for free persists. Persisted flight, Invis, the whole shebang) and a roguish/martial adept/thief acrobat in the other side for those times where magic isn't an option. Gaining a Su way of flight or spiderclimb will be great.