PDA

View Full Version : Stem cell research news

Brother Oni
2010-10-12, 11:02 AM
There is a breaking story today about the First in Man clinical trial for embryonic stem cell therapy, which may be of interest to people here.

I understand that the subject of stem cell research is a ridiculously hot subject in the US (I'm in the UK, so I'm not completely sure), so am I correct in that I shouldn't mention it on this site?

Mystic Muse
2010-10-12, 11:22 AM
There is a breaking story today about the First in Man clinical trial for embryonic stem cell therapy, which may be of interest to people here.

I understand that the subject of stem cell research is a ridiculously hot subject in the US (I'm in the UK, so I'm not completely sure), so am I correct in that I shouldn't mention it on this site?

I can't say for certain but I'd say yes. Stem cell research would probably lead to the issue of abortion which would lead to religion which we don't want.

Haruki-kun
2010-10-12, 11:27 AM
I can't say for certain but I'd say yes. Stem cell research would probably lead to the issue of abortion which would lead to religion which we don't want.

Pretty much that.

It's not so much that the topic itself is bad. It's what it can lead to.

pendell
2010-10-12, 11:58 AM
I would say this would have been true back in 2004, but I'm not sure it's true any longer.

Once upon a time, the only way to get embryonic stem cells was to destroy human embryos. This was controversial.

Since that time, it is now possible (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stem_cell_research#Key_research_events) to create embryonic stem cells from adult stem cells, and to harvest embryonic cells without destroying the embryo (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=embryos-survive-stem-cell-harvest).

These advances have pretty much killed the controversy, IMO. I would say there's a broad consensus that A) there's no problem at all with embryonic stem cell research if no embryos are harmed to get them and B) no one wants to harm embryos if there's no pressing scientific reason to do so.

So we've moved away from 'should we do this at all' (there appears to be broad agreement that we should) to 'how do we do this in as ethical a manner possible?' That's a far less emotionally charged question.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Douglas
2010-10-12, 12:06 PM
It's still a major political issue in the U.S., even aside from any religious and ethical concerns, so I think it's pretty solidly in the topics-to-avoid list here. The official government stance on it is pretty stable right now, I think, but it's far from uncontested and could change after a few rounds of elections.

Asthix
2010-10-12, 01:49 PM
Pretty much that.

It's not so much that the topic itself is bad. It's what it can lead to.

I would also concur with this opinion.

Tarnag40k
2010-10-12, 02:00 PM
Not so sure if the mods agree but I don't see why it would be a board issue if the topic is kept to the topic of what exactly is happening advances wise, and does not delve into the political/religious/moral/blah blah blah aspect.

Mystic Muse
2010-10-12, 02:04 PM
Not so sure if the mods agree but I don't see why it would be a board issue if the topic is kept to the topic of what exactly is happening advances wise, and does not delve into the political/religious/moral/blah blah blah aspect.

The problem is the likeliness of it getting to that aspect, not just that it can get to that aspect.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-10-12, 02:06 PM
Once upon a time, the only way to get embryonic stem cells was to destroy human embryos. This was controversial.

Since that time, it is now possible (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stem_cell_research#Key_research_events) to create embryonic stem cells from adult stem cells, and to harvest embryonic cells without destroying the embryo (http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=embryos-survive-stem-cell-harvest).
Some people must have missed that memo or don’t care, ‘cause I’ve still seen hackles raised over the issue.

Tarnag40k
2010-10-12, 10:38 PM
What Is The News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????//////

pendell
2010-10-12, 10:47 PM
What Is The News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????//////

Praise Google! (http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2010-10-12-stemcells12_ST_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip)

Respectfully,

Brian P.

HalfTangible
2010-10-12, 10:50 PM
Some people must have missed that memo or don’t care, ‘cause I’ve still seen hackles raised over the issue.

To be perfectly honest the fact that stem cell research can be performed without killing a fetus isn't common knowledge. I'm not sure why (well, i have a theory but it gets too close to the line for this forum) but i HAVE heard that adult stem cell research tends to be more effective than fetus stem cells.

Roland St. Jude
2010-10-12, 10:55 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: This seems like something that simply can't be discussed here without being a political or religious discussion. I mean, it theoretically could be a discussion limited to the science of the issue, but that seems not actually practical. So, could you start such a thread and not get an Infraction? Maybe, depending on the content of your OP. Would it likely get locked? Yes, probably pretty quickly. Would people pick up needless Warnings or Infractions weighing in on the topic without realizing (as you do) that religion and politics are inappropriate? Probably.

I'd advise against starting such a thread or raising such a topic.