PDA

View Full Version : No eyes and missing one arm, alter self to the rescue?

Otodetu
2010-10-12, 12:17 PM
Say I have had my hand severed, and my eyes removes, will I be able to alter self into an elf with a functional hand and working eyes?

Actual issue atm.

gallagher
2010-10-12, 12:25 PM
Say I have had my hand severed, and my eyes removes, will I be able to alter self into an elf with a functional hand and working eyes?

Actual issue atm.

that should at least work once for being creative... rule of cool and all.

Gabe the Bard
2010-10-12, 12:28 PM
If I was a DM, I would probably say that you morph into a one-handed elf with empty eye-sockets. Otherwise, it's just too imbalanced to let a 2nd-level spell do something similar to Regenerate, even if it's only for 10 minutes per level.

dsmiles
2010-10-12, 12:28 PM

Actual issue atm.

Or grab the half-golem template...

Emmerask
2010-10-12, 12:40 PM
As a dm I would allow it but the extra arm would hang useless at your side similarly you get the extra eye but you canīt see with it.

/edit Oh you wanted a working arm and eye, no I wouldnīt allow it.

Jack Zander
2010-10-12, 12:58 PM
I don't know why it wouldn't work. If you alter self into something with wings your new wings don't hang useless. You'll just have to deal with having two eyes and two arms for only a limited time each day.

Nero24200
2010-10-12, 01:03 PM
Growing a pair of eyes and an arm seems pretty resonable given what other things can be grown via alter Self. It even specifies in the spell entry what happens if you change into a creature with multiple limbs. Having said that, growing extra limbs with the spell does not grant improvments to TWF or natural attacks, so I wouldn't be surprised if the DM puts a limit on the functionality of your new limb (though the eyes may be just fine).

dsmiles
2010-10-12, 01:23 PM
Or grab the half-golem template...

I AM IRON MAN! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MII3ns2KTBc)
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070416060426/forgottenrealms/images/e/ea/Half-Golems2_-_Wayne_Reynolds.jpg
Or Iron Female Half-Orc, as the case may be...

Sorry, sometimes I can't help myself. :smallbiggrin:

jiriku
2010-10-12, 01:49 PM
When you cast alter self and assume a new form, you aren't you any more -- you're someone else. You can change gross physical qualities, significant physical qualities, and minor physical qualities. You need not keep crippling injuries that aren't represented by damage to your hit points or ability scores, unless your DM invents that requirement.

Some would suggest that this is a lot of power for a level 2 spell. They're right. Alter self is commonly understood to be inappropriately powerful for its level.

Skaven
2010-10-12, 02:09 PM
As a DM I would allow it since it makes sense.

Haarkla
2010-10-12, 02:17 PM

Actual issue atm.
Hands, yes: You acquire the physical qualities of the new form while retaining your own mind. Physical qualities include ... any gross physical qualities (presence or absence of wings, number of extremities, and so forth).

Eyes, no: You do not gain any extraordinary special attacks or special qualities not noted above under physical qualities, such as darkvision, low-light vision, blindsense, blindsight, fast healing, regeneration, scent, and so forth.

It seems clear that you don't gain the sensory capabilities of your new form.

Togo
2010-10-12, 02:27 PM
I'd allow it. it seems a reasonable effect consider what the spell does, and it's more interesting storywise than just getting it fixed via regeneration.

Mando Knight
2010-10-12, 02:32 PM
Eyes, no: You do not gain any extraordinary special attacks or special qualities not noted above under physical qualities, such as darkvision, low-light vision, blindsense, blindsight, fast healing, regeneration, scent, and so forth.

Normal eyes aren't an extraordinary quality, which is what was specifically prohibited. The Scent and Low-Light Vision abilities are. Otherwise, anyone who used Alter Self would be blind: you lose your extraordinary special qualities not derived from your class levels when you use Alter Self.

Otodetu
2010-10-12, 03:13 PM
Thanks, this is for an npc of mine that the players removed the eyes of and left eyeless and dead, but his sidekick sold the fort and arranged for a raise dead and some new gear.

There are no more than 5th level magic available in the area, but the npc can cast alter self, so I guess that will get him back in the game with vision again.

Alter self has also been slightly powered down (no flight or natural armour, but 1 hour\level duration, but it is still the same spell.)

Jack Zander
2010-10-12, 03:17 PM
Thanks, this is for an npc of mine that the players removed the eyes of and left eyeless and dead, but his sidekick sold the fort and arranged for a raise dead and some new gear.

There are no more than 5th level magic available in the area, but the npc can cast alter self, so I guess that will get him back in the game with vision again.

Alter self has also been slightly powered down (no flight or natural armour, but 1 hour\level duration, but it is still the same spell.)

Yes. This is awesome. The evil mastermind was left for dead and had most of his resources lost due to the costs inflicted by the PCs but he's back and wanting nothing more than to enact revenge. Bonus points if he walks around crippled and leaves the party underestimating him, and then... FORM 2!

Godless_Paladin
2010-10-12, 03:18 PM
Just the tip of the iceberg.

Alter Self gets just plain ridiculous. It's one of the nastiest spells out there, just like the rest of the Polymorph line.

Kyouhen
2010-10-12, 03:19 PM
I don't see why Alter Self shouldn't allow you to do that. The spell description lists off growing stranger things than an arm, and really Regeneration is still better anyway because all it would take is an AMF to cripple the character again, or even just a Dispel Magic.

Asheram
2010-10-12, 03:23 PM

Another interesting thought would be to keep him blind, get him a level of mindbender and gain mindsight, then a hand of the mage for continous mage hand to proxy for your lost appendage.

Would make an very interesting BBEG.

Or if you want to do it with just magic items. "Third eye -sense" coud fix it for you.

Susano-wo
2010-10-12, 03:24 PM
Are you getting this via magic item, or spell (I would probably give you a miss chance on the spell, just like there is a miss chance for casting verbal component spells while deaf)

Prime32
2010-10-12, 03:25 PM
What's the character's race? Performing the Ritual of Rebirth to become a dragonborn might be viable.