PDA

View Full Version : a good thug build?

Soranar
2010-10-12, 12:32 PM
Assuming you're using both variants from SRD (only light armor, SA instead of feats and more skillpoints.)

is there any way to use it effectively?

So far the best I came up with was a ninja 1 / thug X using the martial stalker feat and able learner to regain some utility

result would be more SA, trapfinding, a decent unarmored AC bonus and access to fighter only feats (yeah?)

the other options I've seen so far

thug/swashbuckler 3: you'd gain INT to damage but waste a feat to get daring outlaw

thug/ swordsage 2 : limits your weapon choices but Wis to AC while wearing light armor should be superior to the ninja (AC wise) and save yourself feats (but you'd lose trapfinding and sneaking)

thoughts?

AtwasAwamps
2010-10-12, 01:03 PM
Thug/Swashbuckler/Invisible Blade would net you a character with full sneak attack progression, full BAB, and class features (slightly more depending on the DM's interpretation of Daring outlaw) if you stick to daggers.

Amphetryon
2010-10-12, 01:15 PM
Thug/Blade Bravo/Twisted Lord (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9321027&postcount=147). :smallbiggrin:

gorfnab
2010-10-12, 01:18 PM
Thug Sneak Attack Fighter 3/ Swashbuckler 3/ Feat Rogue 14 - take Daring Outlaw feat - 11d6 sneak attack, 16 BAB, 8 Fighter bonus feats

Darrin
2010-10-12, 02:03 PM
Thug 1/Ranger 5/Highland Stalker 4/Ranger +10, take Swift Hunter at ECL 9.

Skirmish 6d6/+4AC, BAB +20. Add Improved Skirmish for 8d6.

EDIT: Actually, there should be two more levels of Highland Stalker in there... like Thug 1/Ranger 5/Highland Stalker 4/Ranger +8/Highland Stalker +2.

Soranar
2010-10-12, 03:44 PM
Thug/Swashbuckler/Invisible Blade

pros

INT to AC (max 5)
INT to damage
full BAB full SA progression

cons

not much skills (or any ability outside fighting really) but some INT to compensate

have to use daggers/ kukris

Thug/Blade Bravo/Twisted Lord

not familiar with these classes, source? I think blade bravo was gnome only , twisted lord is just a big ?

Thug Sneak Attack Fighter 3/ Swashbuckler 3/ Feat Rogue 14 - take Daring Outlaw feat - 11d6 sneak attack, 16 BAB, 8 Fighter bonus feats

I don't see the point of Thug in this build (swashbuckler does everything a thug does with daring outlaw )

Thug 1/Ranger 5/Highland Stalker 4/Ranger +10, take Swift Hunter at ECL 9.

So , as a 1 level dip, not a bad investment for a ranger build (1 BAB , saves and 1d6 sneak)

not sure I'd call a dip a ''thug'' build though

Amphetryon
2010-10-12, 03:45 PM
Follow the link for sources.

Mongoose87
2010-10-12, 03:48 PM

I don't see the point of Thug in this build (swashbuckler does everything a thug does with daring outlaw )

You don't qualify for Daring Outlaw, without the Thug sneak attack.

Maeglin_Dubh
2010-10-12, 08:50 PM
Check here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159248), and scroll down to where Eldariel and I start discussing a sniper build.

Looking for more feedback on the build, but it seems a solid chassis to start off with.

gorfnab
2010-10-13, 02:27 PM
not familiar with these classes, source? I think blade bravo was gnome only , twisted lord is just a big ?

Blade Bravo - Races of Stone, page 99
Twisted Lord - Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde, page 13

Urpriest
2010-10-13, 03:13 PM
Debatably you can gain the Zhentarim variant fighter with Thug. If so, it's a pretty good combination along with Imperious Command.

Greenish
2010-10-13, 03:21 PM
Debatably you can gain the Zhentarim variant fighter with Thug.It should work, Zhentarim fighter levels are substitution levels (and don't even replace any class features).

Now, ruleswise, combining two class variants (thug & SA fighter) would be more questionable, but most DMs will let it fly.

Urpriest
2010-10-13, 03:24 PM
It should work, Zhentarim fighter levels are substitution levels (and don't even replace any class features).

Now, ruleswise, combining two class variants (thug & SA fighter) would be more questionable, but most DMs will let it fly.

The fact that they're substitution levels is what makes them debatable. They're not ACFs, so you're not trading some ability for some other ability, you're trading a level for another level...and the levels you're trading out are the ones that get sneak attack. It seems reasonable to get sneak attack and the Zhentarim abilities, but be aware that some DMs won't let it fly.

Fax Celestis
2010-10-13, 03:27 PM
Necropolitan Thug/Avenging Executioner with Daunting Presence, Death Master, Eviscerator, Telling Blow, and Gruesome Finish feats.