PDA

View Full Version : Emotional Signs?

Lolzords
2010-10-12, 03:11 PM
Hi there. My devised piece for Drama is based heavily around emotions and states of mind, and we're starting it with a projection of close ups on body effects related to those emotions/states of mind.

I could do with some help finding out the phsyical aspects of these emotions/states of mind (think how Tim Roth finds out people's emotions in Lie To Me). I know for instance that fear is increased heart rate, eyes dialated, etc.

Pain
Pleasure
Fear
Jealousy

If I could get some help with this I'd be greatly appreciative.

Haruki-kun
2010-10-12, 03:22 PM
Let's see what I can do to help.

Pain
When in pain, muscles tense. It's a natural reaction. When in constant pain, you might consciously try to relax them to reduce the pain, but if it's a sudden thing, like say... suddenly getting hit or stabbed or something, that's tense.

Pleasure
The opposite, really. The muscles relax. Arms fall calmly to the side, the expresion becomes serene.

Fear
Fear is another "negative" feeling, so tension is common. Heart rate increases pupils dilate. (oh, I just realized you just said that :smalltongue:) There's also a feeling of restlessness. Your eyes or head keep looking around in search of danger, or maybe in search of some relief. When in fear of physical things, like say, a guy with a gun somewhere nearby, you tend to hide and cover yourself. It really depends on the type of fear. And of course, if you can see the object you're afraid of, you're likely to get away from it.

Jealousy
Jealousy is....complicated. More so than the other three. I suppose the more common feeling is resentment to the person you're jealous of. There's a feeling of "I deserve this more than him/her". If the person is present, you look at them. A lot. With lots of resentment in your expression. If they're not, it depends on the person. Some people treat jealousy with sadness, others with anger.

Lolzords
2010-10-12, 03:37 PM
Thank you Haruki-san*. I'll work that stuff into the diagram for the projection. Cheers.

* I didn't feel right using the junior honourific. :smalltongue:

Don Julio Anejo
2010-10-12, 04:37 PM
A cool tidbit of information no-one cares about: Lie to Me was based on the work of a real dude. Paul Ekman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Ekman). With the difference being that Ekman isn't bad-boy sexy in real life and looks more like a catholic priest with a windowless van and a big bag of candy.

Lady Moreta
2010-10-13, 02:18 AM
Jealousy
Jealousy is....complicated. More so than the other three. I suppose the more common feeling is resentment to the person you're jealous of. There's a feeling of "I deserve this more than him/her". If the person is present, you look at them. A lot. With lots of resentment in your expression. If they're not, it depends on the person. Some people treat jealousy with sadness, others with anger.

First off - Haruki, you're a legend :smallsmile:

Resentment (as part of jealousy) will also come across in arms folded tightly across the chest. If the person you're jealous of is present, you might be likely to stand on the opposite side of the room, or at least as far away from them as you can, arms folded tightly across the chest. But you would also focus your attention on them, so glaring/staring at the person in question (or at least in their direction).

Depending on whether the jealousy is over a person or object or something like 'they got a promotion and I didn't' someone might also try to barge in and take possession of the object, or get the person's attention focused on them. So biggish movements, loud and abrasive talking. If it's more like the third, then they may talk themselves up (or the other person down) - loud and brash voice, but always quietly watching the person they're jealous of - just to see if they're getting a reaction.

Amiel
2010-10-13, 02:41 AM
Jealously is the white feather dipped in pitch and tar.

The triumphs of others are offensive to us, contorting our faces into parodies of smiles, the grim rictus grin of a clown.
Our eyes flash ivy; narrowing into tiny green pearls of hardened, envious gaze. Our brows furrow, creasing our forehead in harsh and slashing lines.

Jealously is the itch that is always beyond the surface, closest to the bone, and impossible to scratch.

Lady Moreta
2010-10-13, 02:44 AM
Jealously is the itch that is always beyond the surface, closest to the bone, and impossible to scratch.

Oddly poetic for a description of jealousy :smallsmile:

But very very good. Fidgeting whenever the object of your jealously is around would be another physical sign.

Lolzords
2010-10-13, 05:10 PM
Thank you everyone, especially for the stuff on jealousy. I've been having trouble on working that particular one in to the projections, but now I should have no trouble. Cheers guys. :smallsmile:

Haruki-kun
2010-10-13, 06:56 PM
First off - Haruki, you're a legend :smallsmile:

:smallredface: Thank you very much.

IonDragon
2010-10-16, 08:36 PM
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID16050/images/coyote.jpgThis sign is emotional.