PDA

View Full Version : Claw attack (D+D 3.5)

UndeadCleric
2010-10-12, 05:29 PM
I am aiming to make a melee guy based around warshaper. I figured that getting a claw attack would be the best way to go about that but all of the claw attacks I can find are crappy. Any advice?

Last Laugh
2010-10-12, 05:38 PM
as a suggestion, Changeling or Shifter (RoE both) have the shapechanger subtype and qualify easily. Changeling can always be in an alternate form, If you roleplay it as having constant claws (your class features let you have constant claws) and keep natural attacks to a minimum your DM should be ok with it.

Draconic template (RotD)
Feral Template (SS) This is probably the way to go. A Feral Changeling or Shifter has the shapechanger subtype, claw attacks, fast healing, pounce, other goodies
Warforged (RoE) gain natural attacks through feats, not claws tho
Dragonblooded characters can get a Tail attack through feats, Sorcerors gain claw attacks through Draconic Heritage feats
Kobolds have a claw attack (and a bite maybe)
Poison Dusk Lizardfolk (MMIII) Are a fantastic race. They make great scouty/roguey characters, come with 2 claws, and a bite. bonuses to hide and natural AC, 30 ft landspeed. other minor goodies

Keld Denar
2010-10-12, 05:40 PM
There are a few 0 LA races that get natural attacks. Kobolds (using the web enhancement) are probably the most common. Shifters (Eberron Campaign Setting) can get claw attacks a few times per day. Skarn (Magic of Incarnum) don't get claws, but they get a neat spine attack. Speaking of Magic of Incarnum, 2 levels in the Totemist class from that book opens up your Totem Chakra, and there are a half dozen or so soulmelds that get you Claw attacks from there.

Beyond that, there are some decent +1 LA races and templates that get Claw attacks. Feral (Savage Species) is one of the simplies, but is generally considered WAY overpowered based on the shear number of abilities it gets. Poisondusk Lizardfolk (MMIII, IIRC) are +1 LA with a Claw/Claw/Bite routine.

PsyWars can manifest Claws of the Beast, which are a pretty effective attack. They scale with your ML if you keep dumping PP in them, and as an hour/level power, one or two manifests a day will keep you slashin and gashin all day.

There are also some classes, mostly PrCs that give claw attacks. Bear Warrior (CWarrior) is a common lead-in to Warshaper and gives you the ability to tear people apart with your bear arms (which are Claw attacks). Dragon Disciple (DMG), despite how crappy it is, also gives you Claw attacks. I'm sure there are a few more if you look.

So yea, how are you looking to aquire these Claw attacks?

EDIT: Claw base damage tends to be pretty crappy. They do size up nicely though, and there are a few ways to really augement them. Anything that stacks size or effective size will go a long ways toward increasing damage. Alternatively, aquiring sources of bonus damage independant of weapon is nice. Things like Sneak Attack, Knowledge Devotion, Divine Might, Holy Warrior, Arcane Strike, etc all boost damage nicely.

PrGo
2010-10-12, 05:48 PM
Speaking of Magic of Incarnum, 2 levels in the Totemist class from that book opens up your Totem Chakra, and there are a half dozen or so soulmelds that get you Claw attacks from there.

Playing a character like that. Feral Changeling is the race, and aiming for warshaper at 6th and 7th levels. First level was a Lion Totem Barbarian (since Feral's pounce is only in the first round of combat, so that's very limited), and next two Totemist (binding Girallon arms), along with multiattack feat. At level 3 I have 4 claws at +9/+7/+7/+7 (+4 str, +2 BaB, +1 weapon focus, +2 claws enhancement from investing 2 points of essentia into girallon arms, and a -2 to all attacks after first because of secondary attack penalties).
That along with Improved Grab from Feral and +6 to grapple from girallon (again with the 2 essentia) and you have a melee monster :smallbiggrin:

Lhurgyof
2010-10-12, 05:55 PM
Playing a character like that. Feral Changeling is the race, and aiming for warshaper at 6th and 7th levels. First level was a Lion Totem Barbarian (since Feral's pounce is only in the first round of combat, so that's very limited), and next two Totemist (binding Girallon arms), along with multiattack feat. At level 3 I have 4 claws at +9/+7/+7/+7 (+4 str, +2 BaB, +1 weapon focus, +2 claws enhancement from investing 2 points of essentia into girallon arms, and a -2 to all attacks after first because of secondary attack penalties).
That along with Improved Grab from Feral and +6 to grapple from girallon (again with the 2 essentia) and you have a melee monster :smallbiggrin:

I've looked all around in the SRD and the book it came in, but have never seen the pounce ability that Lion Totem grants. Perhaps I'm just blind.

But anyways, looks like you've got yourself pretty much covered. I believe some psionic powers up claw damage and improve it nicely. Psychic warrior, perhaps?

Runeclaw
2010-10-12, 06:00 PM
I've looked all around in the SRD and the book it came in, but have never seen the pounce ability that Lion Totem grants. Perhaps I'm just blind.

It's the Lion SPIRIT Totem from Complete Champion. It's often misidentified as Lion Totem because its so vastly superior.

Lhurgyof
2010-10-12, 06:08 PM
It's the Lion SPIRIT Totem from Complete Champion. It's often misidentified as Lion Totem because its so vastly superior.

Ahh, ok. That'd explain why. xD

UndeadCleric
2010-10-12, 07:17 PM

Does that work? I thought that feral changed your race to monstrous humanoid.

Urpriest
2010-10-12, 07:37 PM

Is there anything in there that requires you to be humanoid?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-12, 07:38 PM

I think you keep the shapechanger subtype as it is a subtype, but someone who is more versed on template stacking might have a definite answer.

Edit: IIRC Warshaper requires Shapechenger subtype, and I believe Undeadcleric was confused about if he looses the shapechanger subtype when becoming feral

UndeadCleric
2010-10-12, 08:08 PM
I think you keep the shapechanger subtype as it is a subtype, but someone who is more versed on template stacking might have a definite answer.

Edit: IIRC Warshaper requires Shapechenger subtype, and I believe Undeadcleric was confused about if he looses the shapechanger subtype when becoming feral

Correct. Stupid word counter.

Urpriest
2010-10-12, 08:13 PM
Correct. Stupid word counter.

If a template doesn't say it removes subtypes, you keep them. A Feral Changeling is a Monstrous Humanoid (Shapechanger).

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-12, 08:22 PM
If a template doesn't say it removes subtypes, you keep them. A Feral Changeling is a Monstrous Humanoid (Shapechanger).

The problem is solved now, isn't it?:smallamused:

Flickerdart
2010-10-12, 08:42 PM
The best way to get LA0 natural weapons is a beguiler (Shining South p.60) which has a bite, two claws, two rakes and a prehensile tail that can hold a weapon. Sadly it's Small, so don't expect the damage to be great.