PDA

View Full Version : Scrolls and Metamagic [3.5]

Volos
2010-10-12, 07:06 PM
If I want to make a scroll, can I have my metamagic feats being part of the scroll? I was kinda lost within the scroll creation rules. If I can put metamagic into a scroll, do I just pay for the spell slot that is being used to cast the spell?

Keld Denar
2010-10-12, 07:08 PM
Yes, you can. It would also up the minimum caster level, which would increase the cost.

Pricing on scrolls is 50g x spell level x caster level

A scroll of Fireball would be 50g x 3 x 5 (3rd level spell, minimum 5th level caster)

A scroll of Empowered Fireball would be 50g x 5 x 9, because Empowered Fireball is a 5th level spell, and you have to be at least 9th level to cast a 5th level spell.

EDIT: You don't HAVE to make scrolls at min caster level. A scroll of Empowered Fireball at 10th level (the level cap) would cost 50g x 5 x 10, or 2500g.

Most scrolls found ARE made at minimum CL though.

ericgrau
2010-10-12, 07:10 PM
It's 25 not 50. Your're thinking potions. And crafting a scroll is half of that, plus 1/25 the original (un-halved) amount in xp.

Volos
2010-10-12, 07:13 PM
Interesting... I suppose my Wizard Player is going to have more fun now that I understand this better. Thanks guys.

Then let me ask this, can a Raven Familar who is benifiting from a recently cast Read Magic cast a spell from one of your scrolls in the same turn that you do?

tyckspoon
2010-10-12, 07:50 PM
Your familiar doesn't have spellcasting ability of its own, so regardless of having Read Magic or not it will require Use Magic Device to activate a scroll. It may be able to decipher the scroll and tell you what is on it with Read Magic, but that's not sufficient to actually cast the scroll.

Volos
2010-10-12, 08:02 PM
Figured. Had to check though.