PDA

View Full Version : A Farewell to Technological Friends

Cahokia
2010-10-12, 08:22 PM
I write this with a defective iPhone, a heavy heart and a glass of cheap red wine in hand. The first two items on the above list are the result of my dearly departed laptop's passing, but the last item is a celebration of the good times me and the 'ol girl shared. Alas, like Ginny's namesake, she was not long for this world. The first time Virginia died, she filled her pockets with stones and walked into the river. In this incarnation, a small crack that went unnoticed for a long time recently grew into a terrible cancer, and her screen is broken beyond all (reasonably priced) repair. She has just enough life left for me to get my stuff before she goes. I think I'm getting a Mac this time.

Cheers to a faithful companion in the Internet Age. Anyone else have any near and dear devices off to the big manufacturing plant in the sky? This took so long to type

Cobalt
2010-10-12, 08:32 PM
My family's first computer was infamous for its interior's pension for exploding. Most people didn't have much on it, but I did. It had pages- dozens of pages- of revise-worthy writing that I'd very, very much like back.

But alas, tis was not meant to be. And when it blew up for the final time, I was forced to both restart what I was writing, along with build up from scratch everything else I had accumulated over time.

Years of work. Gone. But at least my new laptop is in perfect working order, less explodey, and now contains what I can remember I had written along with shiny new stuff.

And don’t even get me started on my first iPod Nano.

Vaynor
2010-10-12, 09:37 PM
I think I'm getting a Mac this time.

Good choice. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

May it rest in pieces. :smallwink:

Helanna
2010-10-12, 09:47 PM
About a week or two ago, sitting in the library, my precious laptop suddenly disconnected itself from the internet. Confused, I tried everything to get my connection back, but nothing worked - not even on my home network.

Then, a few days later, prepared to do more battle with my laptop . . . it just wouldn't even turn on. It got stuck at the loading screen.

Now, something new and exciting happens every time I try to turn it on! The only thing it won't do it just start up from the freaking backup disk I have. Because three weeks into college (a heavily technology-orientated college at that) is a fantastic time for my computer to break. :smallmad:

Sooo yeah. I'm pretty depressed. My only hope is that one of the people at aforementioned college will be able to patch it up long enough for me to get a new laptop . . . it could take years. :smallfrown:

Cahokia
2010-10-12, 09:50 PM

May it rest in pieces. :smallwink:

I really miss Ginny, though. She possessed behaviors, she remembered what I liked.

Gullara
2010-10-12, 10:32 PM
My cousin was setting down his laptop, he bumped the corner of it on something, and the screen shattered. He now has it hooked up to his TV.

Pfft, all hail Microsoft!!:smallcool:

But I'm going to start up the Microsoft/Mac debate again, and nobody wants that. :smalltongue:

CynicalAvocado
2010-10-12, 10:56 PM
my first computer. it was slow
stage one, the screen would temporarily get a yellowish tinge
stage two, the yellow moments became more frequent and longer some functions no longer worked
stage three permanent yellow tinged screen occasional graphics card srew ups
stage four, permanent screw ups
stage five, that-which shall-not-be-named

Gullara
2010-10-12, 11:00 PM
my first computer. it was slow
stage one, the screen would temporarily get a yellowish tinge
stage two, the yellow moments became more frequent and longer some functions no longer worked
stage three permanent yellow tinged screen occasional graphics card srew ups
stage four, permanent screw ups
stage five, Blue Screen of Death

Do not utter its name. It is to be referred to as the colour that must not be named screen of death.

Strawberries
2010-10-12, 11:10 PM
I really miss my 80386. My granny threw it away without asking me.

I loved that computer. It was my first one. I learned to type and to game on that computer. My grandfather used to play mahjong on it before he died.

I admit I cried when she casually told me "Oh, it took up too much space and nobody was using it anyway". Mainly because it reminded me of my grandfather. :smallfrown:

Oh, and it was still working perfectly.:smallfrown:

Katana_Geldar
2010-10-12, 11:12 PM
I need a new laptop, and I want one of those Internet sticks too.