PDA

View Full Version : The Polite Player's Guide

WarKitty
2010-10-12, 09:13 PM
We've all seen the various DM guides. Now here's my guidebook for being a polite player.

1. Make a character that has possible plots. If the DM's given you plot information, make a character that would do that plot.

2. If joining an existing group, find out their optimization level and stick close to it. If starting a new group, try to stick to the same power level as each other.

3. Roleplay. Make a character, not just a set of numbers on the page. Characters have motivations and interests. They interact with the world.

4. On the flip side, if you're a really fantastic roleplayer, back off some times. Toss the ball to less active players. You might be surprised once they get going.

5. Put the cell phone away. Seriously.

6. Offer to help pay for the food.

Rahas
2010-10-12, 09:16 PM
7. If you are just joining a new group bring drinks/snacks the first few times you show up.

8. Always check with the dm on what is and what isn't allowed.

gallagher
2010-10-12, 09:33 PM
9) be willing to play a role. heck, sometimes it can lead to the most interesting characters. a warlock or a spellthief can be just as useful as a rogue, but with new options.

Volos
2010-10-12, 09:55 PM
10) If your going to miss a session, let the DM know as soon as you do. Alot of planning goes into a game session, an equal portion of that is for your character.

11) Conflict can be interesting, but in the end find a way to work together. Your dwarf may hate all drow, but if the new guy is playing a drow wizard, find a way to have your character accept him.

12) Trust your DM. If he is rolling in secret or passing notes, trust that it is all for the sake of the fun of the game. The DM screen is there to keep a certian mystery in the game.

Lady Moreta
2010-10-12, 10:07 PM
13) Remember that in game, the DM is not supposed to be your friend, and is not going to be your friend. Their whole job is to challenge you and your characters. If something doesn't go your way, or the DM prevents your character from their usual trick, don't get angry at them, and don't whine or sulk about it. Think outside the square, use a spell or ability you don't use very often.

14) Don't call the DM names. Actually, don't call anyone in the game names. It's just not nice.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-10-12, 10:16 PM
15) Do some homework. Seriously. Brush up on the rules of whatever system you're using. Learn the basic mechanics. The more you know, the less time you have to spend asking questions, looking up rules, and making mistakes that need to be corrected. It also prevents accidental 'cheating.'

Lady Moreta
2010-10-12, 10:35 PM
15) Do some homework. Seriously. Brush up on the rules of whatever system you're using. Learn the basic mechanics. The more you know, the less time you have to spend asking questions, looking up rules, and making mistakes that need to be corrected. It also prevents accidental 'cheating.'

I did that once :smallredface: Somehow my numbers got all messed up and I had saves that were a couple of points higher than they should have been. Oops.

16) Following on from that, the DM is allowed to check your character sheets from time to time to make sure you've got everything listed correctly and your numbers match up. Don't get mad or upset if the DM wants to see everyone's sheets.

Katana_Geldar
2010-10-12, 10:38 PM
17) Don't get too upset if the DM won't let you play a game that's already running , sometimes there are better times to come in as a new player. On the same note, don't be pissed off if the DM asks you to play a particular character or even just hands you a character sheet. If you want a choice, don't play.

18) If you drive, make sure you can give people lifts home. Asking for petrol money is okay too.

19) Don't run off five minutes after the session finishes and leave the rest of the group (and sometimes just the DM) to clean up.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-10-12, 10:41 PM
20) The DM should know what your plans are so he can plan accordingly. Don't surprise him with plots, strange power combinations, secret backstory, etc. Basically, don't surprise the DM at all.

Soren Hero
2010-10-13, 12:42 PM
21. The point of the game is to have fun.
22. That being said, don't let your pursuit/enjoyment of fun ruin it for the other players.

SensFan
2010-10-13, 01:04 PM
17) Don't get too upset if the DM won't let you play a game that's already running , sometimes there are better times to come in as a new player. On the same note, don't be pissed off if the DM asks you to play a particular character or even just hands you a character sheet. If you want a choice, don't play.

I have to strongly disagree with you there. "The party needs a melee tank, roll one up" is good. "Roll up a Human Barbarian" is pushing it slightly, but fine if there's a strong reason for it. "You're playing Bob the Human Barbarian. Here's the character sheet" is completely unacceptable. DnD is first and foremost about the DM and players telling a story together. If my first experience with a DM/party is the DM handing me a character sheet I have to play, there's absolutely no way in hell I'm going to even bother glancing at the sheet, unless there's extreme extenuating circumstances.

Anonomuss
2010-10-13, 01:06 PM
23. Make sure to thank the DM for running the game, and be open with them if you enjoyed it. Since they facilitate the fun after all.

24. The same should be said of the host of the event.

Zaydos
2010-10-13, 01:07 PM
I can see it if you're coming in in the middle of an adventure and they give you a handy NPC until a time where a new character could actually be worked in to avoid railroading in a random person that appears out of nowhere in the middle of the Secret Lost Volcano of Doom; and I could accept it as "either wait till the adventure is over and we can work a new character in or play Bob the Barbarian till then".

Tengu_temp
2010-10-13, 01:10 PM
25. If you have any issues with the game, politely talk with them with the DM after the game is over. Clamming up and pretending everything is fine will not make the problems go away.

26. If you have/decide to leave the group, temporarily or permanently, let the other people know. Disappearing without warning is never good.

Choco
2010-10-13, 01:16 PM
10) If your going to miss a session, let the DM know as soon as you do. Alot of planning goes into a game session, an equal portion of that is for your character.

27: 10 applies even more so if you are someone else's ride. There are few quicker ways to get the entire group hostile towards you than repeatedly missing a session without notice when one or more group members rely on you for transportation.

28: Don't be a d**k.

Telonius
2010-10-13, 01:17 PM
5. Put the cell phone away. Seriously.

5a. Especially if the caller is a former girlfriend you're still friends with.
5b. Double especially if said person calls you every session despite the fact that you've told her this is gaming time.
5c. I assure you, it is not an emergency. If it is, direct her to call 911. Put the &*(@# phone on mute.

29. Please be sure to level up your character when the DM tells you to level up your character.

30. Greed is good. Do not forget to write your treasure totals down on your sheet.

30a. Do not forget to spend your wealth when you get to town. If you're saving up for a big purchase, fine, but don't forget about it for several levels. You're not just hurting yourself, you're hurting your team when you don't.

Scow2
2010-10-13, 01:25 PM
I have to strongly disagree with you there. "The party needs a melee tank, roll one up" is good. "Roll up a Human Barbarian" is pushing it slightly, but fine if there's a strong reason for it. "You're playing Bob the Human Barbarian. Here's the character sheet" is completely unacceptable. DnD is first and foremost about the DM and players telling a story together. If my first experience with a DM/party is the DM handing me a character sheet I have to play, there's absolutely no way in hell I'm going to even bother glancing at the sheet, unless there's extreme extenuating circumstances.I have tos strongly disagree with you here, and cite the earliest form of D&D for justification.

Originally, everyone was supposed to play a character created by the GM, instead of creating their own. If anything being told to play a specific character is much more acceptable than being told to roll up a specific race/class combo.

It's common for new players to have to use an already-created character if that would make sense in the storyline.

Thorcrest
2010-10-13, 01:28 PM
31. If you are there to play a game, do not check your facebook/news/play games/watch movies on your iPod or whatever it is!

WarKitty
2010-10-13, 01:33 PM
I have tos strongly disagree with you here, and cite the earliest form of D&D for justification.

Originally, everyone was supposed to play a character created by the GM, instead of creating their own. If anything being told to play a specific character is much more acceptable than being told to roll up a specific race/class combo.

It's common for new players to have to use an already-created character if that would make sense in the storyline.

My rule on this one:

"Whatever you do, if joining an existing group don't bellyache about any restrictions. If you don't like it leave."

Cell phone use depends on the group a bit. Our group rules are: calls from parents may be taken but should be kept short. The only non-playing significant other dials in over skype and watches from his gf's laptop anyways, so that one's never come up.

Fitz10019
2010-10-13, 02:12 PM
32. Be aware of plunder. Remember the half-orc wearing a cup: The axes go down and the dagger goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we die all like that.

Mordokai
2010-10-13, 02:32 PM
This one is for the SO's.

33. Yes, we're playing in your apartement. Yes, that's your boyfriend right there, acting goofy with people you may not like. But could you please wait until the session is over and have him repair your computer then? And could you please not make your juice in that very loud mixer right now?

...then again, it may just be a personal pet peeve of mine.

WarKitty
2010-10-13, 04:06 PM
34. If joining an existing game, find out what roles are being played and find something that either isn't being done or can work well with two of them. If forming a new game compare notes beforehand so you don't infringe on someone else's role. There's nothing more annoying than having a new character come in and make yours redundant.

Susano-wo
2010-10-13, 04:12 PM
I have tos strongly disagree with you here, and cite the earliest form of D&D for justification.

saying that its from OD&D isn't the same as citing it, really.
And is irrelevant. The game a has changed a lot since then....and even then, I'm not performing a play with dice. I'm roleplaying, and I'd never come back to a game where I was told, on a permanent basis to simply play this other character, rhater than one I created.

Christopher K.
2010-10-13, 04:31 PM
35: If a DM shoots down your plan, don't throw a tantrum about it and not contribute for the rest of the session.

36: Just because it isn't your turn, doesn't mean you can just go off on some random tangent with the other people whose turn has yet to come. (I seriously once had a player in my group who would make a turn, then run off and play around. Considering we were playing in a Masonic lodge, it was FAR from appropriate, and eventually my uncle asked me not to invite him any more. Especially when said player licked out all the frosting from the oreos and put them back in the package, and dragged other players off from the gaming table ironically right before their turns)

37: For the love of all that is decent, please don't share the song you're listening to on your ipod with one person with just the speakers. Headphones are made for a reason.

38: If at all possible, try to contribute a little towards the snacks/meal.

ChameleonX11
2010-10-13, 04:57 PM
39. Have a clear character sheet that anyone can read, not just you.

40. Take the time and make everything you write legible to everyone else there.

Chicken scratch annoys me.

arguskos
2010-10-13, 05:00 PM

...I have the original ruleset, printed in 1975, distributed by Gygax and Arneson personally at GenCon. It does not say "the Games Master should provide characters". In fact, Volume 1: Men and Magic says, and I am quoting from the booklet DIRECTLY, "players must decide what roles they will play in the campaign, human or otherwise, fighter, cleric, or magic-user." Page 6 says this. There's another line in the following section saying "there is no reason that players cannot be allowed to play as virtually anything". That's on Page 8. If you want to try and make that claim, use proper evidence please, since you are demonstrably incorrect in that claim. :smallannoyed:

BeholderSlayer
2010-10-13, 05:03 PM
41. Write lightly but clearly on your character sheet, and anybody else's that you might control for any time. Trying to erase heavily written sheets and have the new numbers legible is annoying.

arguskos
2010-10-13, 05:05 PM
41. Write lightly but clearly on your character sheet, and anybody else's that you might control for any time. Trying to erase heavily written sheets and have the new numbers legible is annoying.
42. Electronic character sheets, courtesy of Tangled Web of Myth-Weavers is always appropriate. Just give the GM access and links to them.

Aotrs Commander
2010-10-13, 05:07 PM
My rule on this one:

"Whatever you do, if joining an existing group don't bellyache about any restrictions. If you don't like it leave."

This really needs to be one of the numbered rules: To whit:

43: When considering joining a new group, talk to the DM and the players and find out what style of play the group does, what rules (and unwritten rules) they use and so on, and whether they are playing the sort of game you're prepared to play. Be prepared to be a bit accomodating while you're still new, as at the end of the day, you're coming in as a guest to the group to start with. Don't breeze in and expect them to do things your way; the unwritten codes of conduct groups use vary wildly, and what you consider acceptable, they may think is not (and vice-versa). Optimally, have a test session or two with the group first, before joining in anger.

44: When the DM is running a module, do try to meet them at least half-way and not steer the plot totally away from the module's plot. DMs who run modules often do so for a reason.

BeholderSlayer
2010-10-13, 05:09 PM
42. Electronic character sheets, courtesy of Tangled Web of Myth-Weavers is always appropriate. Just give the GM access and links to them.

link please? :smallbiggrin:

Urpriest
2010-10-13, 05:10 PM
45. Corollary to 18. If you need a ride, please ask in advance, rather than when the session is supposed to start.

arguskos
2010-10-13, 05:12 PM
link please? :smallbiggrin:
Tangled Web (http://www.thetangledweb.net/).
Myth-Weavers (http://www.myth-weavers.com/).

Both require accounts that are free to make and maintain forever, they never really send you emails, it's a great time.

Notreallyhere77
2010-10-13, 05:50 PM
Re: DM-made character debate.

If you don't have a character at all, and the DM happens to have the stats for an NPC/DMPC, it should be fine as a stopgap so you can play while you make a character for yourself. Just as long as it's explicitly a temporary arrangement. However, if you end up liking the character made for you, you should have the option of keeping it and making it your own.

Now, back to the topic at hand:
46: Food faux pas can be serious business. Make sure you get a feel for the snack ettiquette ASAP. If the rule is share and share alike, bring food everyone likes and bring enough for everybody. If it's BYO, don't reach into someone else's stash. Some groups are a mixture, and some give the DM dibs on any specific snack, or the provider dibs, or both.

dsmiles
2010-10-13, 06:03 PM
33. Yes, we're playing in your apartement. Yes, that's your boyfriend right there, acting goofy with people you may not like. But could you please wait until the session is over and have him repair your computer then? And could you please not make your juice in that very loud mixer right now?

33a. Unless said juice contains alcohol, and you're willing to share.

On the topic of food:
47. Try not to bring noms that a player is allergic to. If you do, please don't sit right next to said player. That's poor form.

WarKitty
2010-10-13, 07:25 PM
47a. If you're in a shared noms group, kindly inform the group of any allergies and their severity, as well as any dietary preferences.

dsmiles
2010-10-13, 07:28 PM
48. If you're in an alcohol-free (or underage) group, please don't show up drunk.

Had that one happen. More than once.

arguskos
2010-10-13, 07:38 PM
48. If you're in an alcohol-free (or underage) group, please don't show up drunk.

Had that one happen. More than once.
Agreed. :sigh:

49. Don't decide to throw tables at the DM when your character dies, or threaten them with bodily harm because you did something and it worked out poorly.

big teej
2010-10-13, 08:26 PM
Agreed. :sigh:

49. Don't decide to throw tables at the DM when your character dies, or threaten them with bodily harm because you did something and it worked out poorly.

especially if the DM is a foot taller than you and outweighs you by aboue 120 lbs.... he will sit on you :smallamused:

on a slightly more serious note.

-don't become physically abusive of ANYONE at the table, ever. no, not even then.

defending yourself is okay though.

(again goes double if people are bigger than you)

WarKitty
2010-10-13, 09:31 PM
50. Do not try to have sex with anything female in the game. Especially if you have a female PC in the game.

Actually, a lot of these rules could be summarized as "don't be an antisocial jerk"

Serpentine
2010-10-14, 08:04 AM
51. If you design your own flaw, and it turns out that it completely removes you from an entire encounter, do not sulk about it. Especially don't sulk when the DM gives you a way out of it, and you refuse to take it. And especially don't get shirty when you finally decide to "make" your own way out of it, the DM declares it a success, and then you decide that by your rules you did not succeed and are still out of the encounter and actively and aggressively argue with the DM about how you still don't get to join the combat.

Recent game. The player - DM's girlfriend and all - gave her character a split personality flaw. The personality-shift was triggered by a crazy person, and shifted to the "cowardly" one. So she sat in the corner. The DM allowed her to make another Will save to have another personality shift, but she refused. She sat and sulked for most of the encounter. Near the end, she decided that she could have another Will save, and got 16. The DM cheered and said it was enough to shift to a more combat-ready personality. The player sullenly declared that it was not enough, because that was that personality's Will save, which means it succeeded on hanging on, which meant she couldn't come back. The DM explained that it didn't have to be the case, and went into great detail about why that was so. She argued otherwise. It got heated. It got more sullen. And then she sulked for the rest of the encounter.

I'm kinda thinking of leaving that game :smallsigh:

edit:
52. If you play comic relief characters all the time, consider playing a serious one for once. Please?

53. For the love of God would you play a character with a personality other than "autistic creeper"?!

bokodasu
2010-10-14, 12:27 PM
54: If your DM asks you to make your character in advance, make your character in advance. If your DM wants everyone to make characters together, make your character with the group at the time requested by the DM.

You'd think this one was obvious, but no, not so much...

Choco
2010-10-14, 01:17 PM
55: If you know you will have a chance to go shopping soon, look through the books and decide what you want to get between sessions. And if you don't, don't throw a fit when the rest of the group is not willing to sit around and wait while you look through 10+ books for 2 hours trying to decide what you want to buy. ESPECIALLY if the DM tells you to do this between sessions multiple times.

DaedalusMkV
2010-10-14, 01:39 PM
55: If you know you will have a chance to go shopping soon, look through the books and decide what you want to get between sessions. And if you don't, don't throw a fit when the rest of the group is not willing to sit around and wait while you look through 10+ books for 2 hours trying to decide what you want to buy. ESPECIALLY if the DM tells you to do this between sessions multiple times.
55a: When deciding to purchase items between sessions, confirm with the DM at the beginning of the next session, and have backups ready. Don't assume that your obscure, third-party awesome item fits into the DM's campaign. This goes quintuple for optional rules, such as the item creation guidelines.

56: Have backup character concepts ready. Talk with the DM beforehand about how to get the new character involved in the plot. You don't want to sit out and the DM doesn't want you sitting out, so it's better for everyone to have an idea in place.

Susano-wo
2010-10-14, 02:31 PM
51. If you design your own flaw, and it turns out that it completely removes you from an entire encounter, do not sulk about it. Especially don't sulk when the DM gives you a way out of it, and you refuse to take it. And especially don't get shirty when you finally decide to "make" your own way out of it, the DM declares it a success, and then you decide that by your rules you did not succeed and are still out of the encounter and actively and aggressively argue with the DM about how you still don't get to join the combat.

Recent game. The player - DM's girlfriend and all - gave her character a split personality flaw. The personality-shift was triggered by a crazy person, and shifted to the "cowardly" one. So she sat in the corner. The DM allowed her to make another Will save to have another personality shift, but she refused. She sat and sulked for most of the encounter. Near the end, she decided that she could have another Will save, and got 16. The DM cheered and said it was enough to shift to a more combat-ready personality. The player sullenly declared that it was not enough, because that was that personality's Will save, which means it succeeded on hanging on, which meant she couldn't come back. The DM explained that it didn't have to be the case, and went into great detail about why that was so. She argued otherwise. It got heated. It got more sullen. And then she sulked for the rest of the encounter.

I'm kinda thinking of leaving that game :smallsigh:

:smalleek::smalleek::smalleek:
Wow. I've given myself my own fair share of in-character restrictions, but good god, don't sulk about it! And especially, don't sulk about it when the DM is trying to help you out of your not-fun situation. Oh and if you want to have fun with the cowardly personality...have her take actions in desperation, or find something interesting due to her cowardice...I don't know that particular situation, but just because this personality is a coward doesn't mean that she can literally take no action, etc. Heck, the 16 will can even mean that she summons up the sourage to do something.

err, sorry, a bit of a rant there :smallredface:

edit:
52. If you play comic relief characters all the time, consider playing a serious one for once. Please?

No. Kidding. ><

Maybe I should actually contribute
rule 57a: Don't assume the Dm's intentions
57b: when you do find out the DM's intentions, trust her a bit and believe her
57c: especially when your assumptions can be proven wrong by the facts....

Serpentine
2010-10-21, 09:40 AM
Sorry, didn't realise anyone had responded to me.

Hey, I'm the one who ranted first! And hoooooboy, did I wanna rant :smallannoyed: :smallsigh:
To be fair, regarding the second part of it, the DM did suffer a bit of Your-Character-Wouldn't-Do-Thatitis, and told her that this personality would jsut cower in the corner. However, I'm pretty sure that she could have convinced him otherwise (and I would've backed her up), especially when the sulking and arguing set in.

Hmm. Not sure if this one came up, but it's a fairly obvious one:

58. Think about what you're going to do on your turn, and look up any relevant rules or spells, when it's other people's turns. Speeds things up a lot, especially if you're a relative newbie.

WarKitty
2010-10-21, 10:21 AM
59. If you're an experienced player with newbies, it is permissible to help out or make suggestions. It is not permissible to tell the newbie what to do.

Sipex
2010-10-21, 10:26 AM
60. If you don't agree with the DM, don't argue at the table. Leave the issue as is and wait until the session is over to talk to them about it in a calm, understanding manner.

61. When the DM gives you homework, do it. More likely than not they request it of you for the good of your character and/or the game.

62. If you have a good DM, let them know it.

63. Let other players get their opinions out on the table and give them serious consideration. Your opinion isn't necessarily the best.

64. If the DM rules something and you find a way around it don't respond with "But you said..." when your exploit is brought to light. The DM isn't perfect and patch work needs to be done occasionally.

Telonius
2010-10-21, 02:17 PM
5a. Especially if the caller is a former girlfriend you're still friends with.
5b. Double especially if said person calls you every session despite the fact that you've told her this is gaming time.
5c. I assure you, it is not an emergency. If it is, direct her to call 911. Put the &*(@# phone on mute.

29. Please be sure to level up your character when the DM tells you to level up your character.

30. Greed is good. Do not forget to write your treasure totals down on your sheet.

30a. Do not forget to spend your wealth when you get to town. If you're saving up for a big purchase, fine, but don't forget about it for several levels. You're not just hurting yourself, you're hurting your team when you don't.

30b. If the DM reminds you to spend your wealth and asks you to have a list of the items you've purchased, don't forget to make a list of the items you've purchased. :smallmad:

Ruinix
2010-10-21, 02:53 PM
65. be on time for sessions.

66. pay atention all the time, even while is the role time for other players. is very unpleasant be in char with the DM and hear the background chatter about things that have nothing to do with the game

Sipex
2010-10-21, 03:18 PM
66. pay atention all the time, even while is the role time for other players. is very unpleasant be in char with the DM and hear the background chatter about things that have nothing to do with the game

I would argue that this is dependant on the group. I like this environment because it lets the players pre-occupy themselves during RP time if they're not spotlighted.

Boogeyman
2010-10-21, 03:33 PM
especially if the DM is a foot taller than you and outweighs you by aboue 120 lbs.... he will sit on you :smallamused:

on a slightly more serious note.

-don't become physically abusive of ANYONE at the table, ever. no, not even then.

defending yourself is okay though.

(again goes double if people are bigger than you)

67. Once it gets physical it's natural weapons only. Don't bring knives into a fistfight.

Aotrs Commander
2010-10-21, 03:40 PM
67. Once it gets physical it's natural weapons only. Don't bring knives into a fistfight.

67a: Because you should totally bring rocket launchers, howitzers, partical accelerator cannons or orbital bombardment. Remember, there's no kill like overkill...

Jayabalard
2010-10-21, 03:49 PM
67a: Because you should totally bring rocket launchers, howitzers, partical accelerator cannons or orbital bombardment. Remember, there's no kill like overkill...
67b. There is no overkill, there is only "Open Fire" and "I need to reload"

68. Be willing to play things outside of your normal playstyle; if it turns out you really don't like it, don't sulk or kick up a fuss during the session, but do talk to the other players and DM after that session.

GoatBoy
2010-10-21, 03:57 PM
69. Always find ways to make your turn go faster. If you think you're going fast enough, you're not. Roll full attacks in advance, colour-code your dice for quick calculations, roll damage at the same time as attack, etc. If you don't have enough dice to do this, borrow some. If they aren't available, play a different character. Waiting a full minute every round for you to roll every attack you have is agony for the rest of us.

PopcornMage
2010-10-21, 03:58 PM
70. Smoking. Don't do it without permission.

71. Don't bring a baby to the game.

pife
2010-10-21, 04:20 PM
71a: Don't HAVE a baby at the game

dsmiles
2010-10-21, 05:26 PM
71a: Don't HAVE a baby at the game

:eek:

True story?

doc*sk
2010-10-21, 06:03 PM
61a. Be willing to spend some time outside of the adventure preparing things.

61b. Draw or find pictures of your character, gear, heraldry, etc. It will help the GM know what is important to you.

-----

72. Don't bring music that will compete with that of the GM.

Katana_Geldar
2010-10-21, 06:58 PM
73. If you are somewhat timid about having your character killed by your friends DON'T show up the night the group is playing Paranoia.

73 a) This goes double if you like to have arguments about the rules.

PopcornMage
2010-10-21, 07:11 PM
:eek:

True story?

It's bound to have happened at least once in the past 35 years.

74. Shower, at least once in a while.

Choco
2010-10-21, 07:54 PM
73. If you are somewhat timid about having your character killed by your friends DON'T show up the night the group is playing Paranoia.

73 a) This goes double if you like to have arguments about the rules.

75: If you don't like other players killing your character, don't play the kind of character they want to kill on sight and assume they wont just because you are a player.

Kaww
2010-10-22, 01:10 AM
74. Shower, at least once in a while.

74a. Don't try to choke other players by overperfuming yourself...

76. Have people know that you are allergic to cats or dogs, for practical hosting reasons.

77. If you are ill or have mononucleosis you have a valid reason for not coming... (This one actually happened once)

78. Don't fall asleep during a session.

Aotrs Commander
2010-10-22, 04:27 AM
71. Don't bring a baby to the game.

I have to respectfully disagree with that one. I'm not a parent myself (um, duh, Lich!), though, some of my players are; I've always said it's perfectly fine to bring the baby with them if they can't otherwise find a babysitter. (Heck, my niece ended up at the session a couple of times when my sister was babysitting her1.) On the whole, I'd rather have to deal with a baby around that a player miss the session. (I've been around enough babies over the years - three baby sisters, Mum used to be a baby sitters, cousins, nieces... You get immune to it after a while. Heck, when I here a baby crying now I tend to smirk, knowing it's someone else's problem...)

Actually, come to that, a player that doesn't know the rules, cries a lot and soils themselves on occasion is still probably better thn some of the problem players you hear about on some of these threads...

(Now, I'll grant you, it's probably not fair (to anyone) to bring smaller children, if they are the sort who get easily bored, with you to the game, if they can't be trusted to sit a watch telly in the other room or play or something. But on the whole babies mostly sleep and aren't disruptive.)

So I'll add, and being (for once) mostly serious:

79: If someone does bring a baby or small child (due to having no other options), don't make too much of fuss about (or over!) it. (Providing the parents keep them under control.) Distressingly, real life does sometimes interfere with gaming2.

80: If you do have to bring a small child with you to the game, make sure they are on the best behavior (as they should be anyway if they're at someone else's house.) If they won't sit with you and "help", then make sure they have plenty to do and don't disrupt the game too much. On the other hand, don't get so distracted by the game you forget about them, especially if they've gone quiet. We all know quiet children usually means they've found Mummy's make-up or something3.

1We let her roll some dice for my sister's character, and it was hilarious when - after finishing off a monster - she delightedly said "I kill it! I kill it!"

2Yes, even mine. Well, unlife anyway...

3True story. Although it was my sister, not me, I feel I must add...

PopcornMage
2010-10-22, 06:59 AM
I have to respectfully disagree with that one.

Fair enough, but at the least, I think we would agree that there are concerns about doing it.

Maybe just "try to avoid" or "take care" ?

Sipex
2010-10-22, 10:44 AM
I think a lot of these rules come with the caveats "Depending on your group" and "Ask first before"

shadow_archmagi
2010-10-22, 10:58 AM
Fair enough, but at the least, I think we would agree that there are concerns about doing it.

Maybe just "try to avoid" or "take care" ?

This is the Polite and Reasonable Player's Handbook.

Clearly the solution is to discuss the situation with your group, and then make a decision based on the ratio of "How annoying is your baby" to "How much baby can your group tolerate"

Pisha
2010-10-22, 11:27 AM
Re: babies/children at game, I'd amend it to "Don't bring them without asking permission first." Yes, sometimes real life does interfere with gaming, but that doesn't mean children are always appropriate. Some games are not really child-friendly (either because of the subject or the players), some people are not child-friendly, and sometimes the location is not really suitable. For example, I don't mind well-behaved children if we're gaming at someone else's house, but I would ask people not to bring them to games at mine. Not because I don't like children - I do - but because my house is absolutely not child-proofed. A lot of my stuff is breakable, and more importantly, a lot of it is downright dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. Any time we've had people bring their kids over, someone's had to be paying close attention at all times - which is bad for a game.

So yeah. Don't bring kids without asking first, and if the group says no for whatever reason, please respect that.

DrWeird
2010-10-22, 11:32 AM
81: Don't pick up someone else's dice without permission (please ask first unless you have prior permission), especially if your hands are covered in your cheetos dust and your mouth funk...which leads to...

82: Don't lick your fingers at the table; use a napkin to clean your fingers. In fact, don't lick anything. Ever.

PopcornMage
2010-10-22, 11:37 AM
83. In the case of 81, don't touch their books either.

dsmiles
2010-10-22, 11:38 AM
Yes, sometimes real life does interfere with gaming, but that doesn't mean children are always appropriate.

For some reason, I read that as, "mean children are always appropriate."

I LOL'd.

Until I figured out what it actually said.

Then it wasn't so funny anymore.

Sipex
2010-10-22, 11:42 AM
Re: babies/children at game, I'd amend it to "Don't bring them without asking permission first." Yes, sometimes real life does interfere with gaming, but that doesn't mean children are always appropriate. Some games are not really child-friendly (either because of the subject or the players), some people are not child-friendly, and sometimes the location is not really suitable. For example, I don't mind well-behaved children if we're gaming at someone else's house, but I would ask people not to bring them to games at mine. Not because I don't like children - I do - but because my house is absolutely not child-proofed. A lot of my stuff is breakable, and more importantly, a lot of it is downright dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. Any time we've had people bring their kids over, someone's had to be paying close attention at all times - which is bad for a game.

So yeah. Don't bring kids without asking first, and if the group says no for whatever reason, please respect that.

This is a good post. Agreed.

WarKitty
2010-10-22, 03:02 PM
84. It is acceptable to provide minor hints to new players, such as "remember you can use sneak attack when flanking." It is not acceptable to tell them what to do.

Pisha
2010-10-22, 03:25 PM
85. If you feel you absolutely must, must, must argue with a DM about the rules during a game, at least try to be civil about it. Keep your voice calm and don't exaggerate or accuse - simply state your case and direct him towards any rules you think he may have overlooked. If possible, step away from the table so it doesn't turn into a six-person shouting match. And after he's heard you out and looked at the rules, accept his decision even if it's not the one you wanted him to make.

86. Really, don't turn anything into a six-person shouting match.

87. While side conversations have their place (gaming is primarily a social activity, after all), try to keep it quiet enough so that the DM and the player he's currently interacting with don't have to shout to hear each other.

88. If you're playing in someone's home, try to be respectful of the other people who live there. For instance, if it's 2 am and you know someone has to be up for work at 5, keep it down to a dull roar. :smallwink:

Saintheart
2010-10-22, 06:56 PM
If it hasn't already come up...

89. Don't drop Monty Python references within five minutes of starting gaming. If you must really say that Supreme Executive Power Derives From A Mandate From The Masses, save it for a moment other than the DM's nicely-written and slaved-over opening of the campaign.

Susano-wo
2010-10-23, 06:50 PM
90.: if someone does touch your dice without permission, don't freak out. Its not then end of the world (or maybe that's just me? :smallwink:)

Choco
2010-10-23, 07:56 PM
If it hasn't already come up...

89. Don't drop Monty Python references within five minutes of starting gaming. If you must really say that Supreme Executive Power Derives From A Mandate From The Masses, save it for a moment other than the DM's nicely-written and slaved-over opening of the campaign.

91: Don't drop Monty Python references, PERIOD. They stopped being funny a decade ago.

Shatteredtower
2010-10-23, 08:51 PM
92. You are playing with a group, not in competition with it. The game is not on hold between your turns. Show an interest in what the other players do. Work off their efforts and acknowledge when you get to do so. Enable their efforts in turn, without obliging them to take the opportunities you provide.

93. Barring emergencies or some other urgent matter, don't interupt the DM during another player's turn. Either wait your turn or ask one of the other players if it's about the game or rules.

94. In a nosier environment, go to the player with whom you chose to speak, rather than distracting others by shouting across the table.

95. Do not rush others. Your need to leave early isn't their responsibility.