PDA

View Full Version : Halp!

faceroll
2010-10-12, 09:43 PM
I am going to be DMing a one off this Sunday for a level 10 warmage, dread necromancer, beguiler, fighter, and one other character. They are all casual players; tier system isn't going to matter, no ToB or play a wizard stuff, please. I also don't want to load them down with a bunch of mechanics they'll forget about. Static bonuses and relatively few choices are the best for this group.

I want to run a heist where they have to break into something and steal something- clear parameters and ending for a one-time game. The trouble is, i have no idea what or who they're going to be robbing. The party is going to be decidedly non-good. And I don't have a lot of free time to brainstorm.

Any ideas for appropriate antagonists or solid, useful, reliable, and easy builds using the classes I listed?

Much thanks.

Gabe the Bard
2010-10-12, 11:33 PM
I've been working on a villain for a high-level mini-campaign. He's a powerful and highly paranoid Diviner, whose tower is filled with special arcane eyes that work like surveillance cameras. The tower also rests atop a mountain of smoke powder that's rigged to explode if the Diviner is killed or if he needs to flee the coop without leaving all the goodies for his unwanted guests.

The tower is also filled with permanently animated statues that stand still and look like part of the architecture, but come alive when intruders are present. The Diviner is so paranoid that he only trusts mindless constructs to guard his tower. You could also have animated furniture and carpets come alive to entangle or grapple them. Some of the large Animated Objects in the SRD could look scary without actually being too powerful for a non-optimized party.

The Diviner himself is fairly simple. He has a fast initiative, so he can get the drop on the party during the first round. Afterwards, it's mainly debuff spells and the occasional counterspell to slow down the party while his Animated minions hack away at them. He also has some craft feats in case you want him to have some custom magic items. It also helps to explain how he was able to make the arcane eyes that work as a surveillance system.

Human Diviner
1 Improved Initiative
H Insightful Divination
3 Improved Counterspell
5 Craft Wondrous Item
6 Reactive Counterspell
9 Craft Rod
10 Quicken Spell
12 Forge Ring

Since it's a heist, maybe the macguffin could be an ancient tome of forbidden knowledge that would give the players great power if they read it, or great fortune if they sold it.