PDA

View Full Version : Chilean Miners Being Rescued as I Type!

skywalker
2010-10-12, 10:06 PM
Hey guys. The trapped Chilean miners are getting pulled out of their mine as I type.

It's a good day for humanity, I say.

Innis Cabal
2010-10-12, 10:07 PM
{scrubbed}

Serpentine
2010-10-12, 10:15 PM
Wow. Way to be a buzzkill. But I disagree, regardless. At the very least, what humanity as a whole has gained from this is significant progress in rescue technology. (although I will cringe if someone calls these guys "heroes". To survive is not heroic! It's survival! Amazing, impressive, remarkable, perhaps. But not heroic! Broader pet peeve, there)

Last I heard a couple of hours ago, they were getting ready to do it. It's underway now, huh? Good stuff!
Man, that one guy is gonna be in a world of trouble when he gets out :smallamused:

Amiel
2010-10-12, 10:19 PM
It's fortunate as mining (especially deep mining) is an inherently dangerous profession; even in America, mining remains the second most dangerous occupation (c.f. Bureau of Labour Statistics). The lives saved are lives that death cannot claim.

Blue Ghost
2010-10-12, 10:23 PM
It's a good day for those men, at least. :smallsmile:

Hallelujah!

Knaight
2010-10-12, 10:25 PM
About time. Though the support and eventual rescue were fairly well operated, so maybe it can be learned from.

Copacetic
2010-10-12, 10:25 PM
Good for them. :smallcool:

KnightDisciple
2010-10-12, 10:26 PM
It's fortunate as mining (especially deep mining) is an inherently dangerous profession; even in America, mining remains the second most dangerous occupation (c.f. Bureau of Labour Statistics). The lives saved are lives that death cannot claim....What's the most dangerous? :smallconfused:

As for the story: Was definitely glad to hear they're getting these guys out. Mad props to the crews who worked to do so, and who worked to keep them alive. These guys were down there for almost 70 days. That they were able to stay alive was, itself, incredible. That we're getting them out is even better. :smallsmile:

Jayngfet
2010-10-12, 10:28 PM
{Scrubbed}

Innis Cabal
2010-10-12, 10:30 PM
{Scrubbed}

Cobalt
2010-10-12, 10:31 PM
{scrubbed}

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-10-12, 10:32 PM
While I'm pleased that this happened, I am just perplexed that they managed to survive down there for what I believe was at least a month or two. I'd have thought that people in that situation would have gone mad and tried to kill each other for food or something. That's how it always happens in the movies. :smallconfused:

skywalker
2010-10-12, 10:47 PM
...What's the most dangerous? :smallconfused:

Alaskan Crab Fishing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadliest_Catch)?

Also, apparently, by sheer numbers, aircraft carrier deck crew is the most dangerous.

{scrubbed}

While I'm pleased that this happened, I am just perplexed that they managed to survive down there for what I believe was at least a month or two. I'd have thought that people in that situation would have gone mad and tried to kill each other for food or something. That's how it always happens in the movies. :smallconfused:

They got found after 17 days, and they started sending them food and other supplies.

KnightDisciple
2010-10-12, 10:49 PM
While I'm pleased that this happened, I am just perplexed that they managed to survive down there for what I believe was at least a month or two. I'd have thought that people in that situation would have gone mad and tried to kill each other for food or something. That's how it always happens in the movies. :smallconfused:I believe they had air piped down, and some smaller opening through which basic supplies were sent. They could survive, but they were still stuck down there.

As for Mr. Buzzkill: If you're not as cynical or whatnot as him, that's fine. He wants to look at things like this, it's his business. Don't let it get you down.

I'll give mad props to the rescuers again! :smallsmile:

Knaight
2010-10-12, 10:53 PM

They've sent down food and varying essentials, plus some non essential stuff which is nonetheless very useful. Radios are a known on my information, I suspect clocks as well.

skywalker
2010-10-12, 11:30 PM
They've sent down food and varying essentials, plus some non essential stuff which is nonetheless very useful. Radios are a known on my information, I suspect clocks as well.

They were apparently sent PSPs...

Also, we made note of the fact that when they asked for tapes, one guy specifically requested Kenny Rogers...

Rowsen
2010-10-12, 11:35 PM
{scrubbed}

Krade
2010-10-12, 11:43 PM
*ahem*

I'll just leave this (http://www.theonion.com/articles/trapped-chilean-miners-considering-how-funny-it-wo,18261/) here...

Serpentine
2010-10-12, 11:49 PM
While I'm pleased that this happened, I am just perplexed that they managed to survive down there for what I believe was at least a month or two. I'd have thought that people in that situation would have gone mad and tried to kill each other for food or something. That's how it always happens in the movies. :smallconfused:The shift supervisor apparently did an impressive job of leadership and keeping everyone calm and organised. They were trapped without any communication with the outside for 17/18 days, during which they stretched out rations intended to last 2-3 days. They had a surprisingly large amount of room to move - a 502m room, tunnel/s and 2km of "galleries". They were able to find some water.
Once they were found, super-emergency stuff (to stop ulcers from food deprivation, rehydration tablets and a couple of other things) were sent down straight away, and then a day or two later proper food and the like was. They were then sent a variety of things to keep them sane and healthy - and were even media-trained, apparently!
69 days in all trapped down a mine.

Rowsen
2010-10-13, 12:03 AM
69 days in all trapped down a mine.
First thing I'd do is have a nice long shower after that :smallbiggrin:

Rockphed
2010-10-13, 12:31 AM

I think they managed to get some water for washing, but I agree. That long in a mine would drive me to shower for 24 hours straight.

Jayngfet
2010-10-13, 12:42 AM

You seem to be implying horror movies are in any way indicative of realisim ...or an accurate marker for human intelligence for that matter.:smallconfused:

But yeah. I'd imagine after contact was re-established and supplies and the aformentioned entertainment was pumped down things became more bearable.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-10-13, 01:13 AM
You seem to be implying horror movies are in any way indicative of realisim ...or an accurate marker for human intelligence for that matter.:smallconfused:

I'm not saying that. I'm saying that horror movies are the only paradigm I have to view this situation with. I've never really lived through something like this in my lifetime. I don't know of a single disaster like this where the people involved not only stuck together and made it through the worst times, but now there's a chance that all of them will make it out alive. And when I say that, I don't mean such a thing has never happened before, I'm just stating my own ignorance of such a possible event.

golentan
2010-10-13, 01:27 AM
Cheers to them! After so long, it's got to be good to see the sun again.

Also, depending on how it works might they be looking at a *boop*-load of overtime? :smalltongue:

Jimorian
2010-10-13, 01:47 AM
(although I will cringe if someone calls these guys "heroes". To survive is not heroic! It's survival! Amazing, impressive, remarkable, perhaps. But not heroic! Broader pet peeve, there)

There's definitely ONE hero down below right now. The guy who went down to supervise the rescue and will be the last one to come back up.

Amazing story all around. :smallsmile:

Noircat
2010-10-13, 01:50 AM
Heard on public radio there was some indecision about who was leaving last due to more than one of them wanting to break the record for "trapped underground the longest" or something like that.

I just find that so strange at first, but then again, if I was trapped underground for months I might want my name in the Guiness Book of Records or some other props too. Kind of a "and that was the toughest guy" thing.

Serpentine
2010-10-13, 02:07 AM
There's definitely ONE hero down below right now. The guy who went down to supervise the rescue and will be the last one to come back up.Well, I'd suggest that that's a quite literal "someone's got to do it" situation, and pretty much his job. But I'd pay that.
I was actually thinking the guy who took charge and organised everyone could well qualify, too.
Which segways(sp?) nicely into my response to Noircat, as according to Wikipedia when I looked at it a couple of hours ago, that same man is the one being awarded with that particular honour.

Amiel
2010-10-13, 02:18 AM
...What's the most dangerous? :smallconfused:

According to the Bureau of Labour's document of statistics (http://stats.bls.gov/iif/oshwc/cfoi/cfch0005.pdf) (page 13), those professions involving agriculture, forestry, hunting and fishing accounted for the greatest percentage of fatalities; ranked by both major occupation group and industry sector.

I think I'll like to do something else after all those days trapped underground :smalltongue:

Didn't you know? Morlocks are real.

Serpentine
2010-10-13, 02:19 AM
I think I'll like to do something else after all those days trapped underground :smalltongue:Who says they're mutually exclusive? :smallamused:

But really, I think for me it would go:
Talk to/hug family & friends -> good food -> long bath -> running around in the open -> really good food -> talk to/hug family & friends.

Amiel
2010-10-13, 02:24 AM
Unfortunately Victoria has eased back a bit in its restrictions on water usage; showering with a friend should be the norm.

pendell
2010-10-13, 07:53 AM
{scrubbed}

The quoted paragraph above is like complaining when a little child makes his bed for the first time, and you remind him that he hasn't cleaned the rest of his room and , indeed, the room will get dirty again. So? It's a step in the right direction. Just a step, true, but people are alive today who might otherwise have died. We can't save everyone, and this fact should mean that we should rejoice all the more in those lives we DO save.

Yes, it is a great day. And I am happy for them and their families.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Haruki-kun
2010-10-13, 08:02 PM
The last miner is out!!!! :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

KnightDisciple
2010-10-13, 08:24 PM
The last miner is out!!!! :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Woohoo! Man, took a while, but glad to hear they're all safe. I bet everyone would rather they take the time to be safe, you know?

Crimmy
2010-10-13, 08:53 PM
All I know is,starting yesterday night, Time was measured in rescued miners.

And Today, we continue with normal counting. AND I LOVE IT.

Chile has been a beacon of hope for people who thought the rescue was impossible. They were united, and solidarious. I love Chile right now.

Gullara
2010-10-13, 08:57 PM
So who got to break the record for being trapped under ground the longest:smallamused:

KnightDisciple
2010-10-13, 09:03 PM
So who got to break the record for being trapped under ground the longest:smallamused:Looks like one Luis Urzua was the last miner brought up.

Currently, they're retrieving the rescue workers who went down into the mine to help the miners get out via capsule. The latest CNN update said 2 of the 6 rescuers were out. I'd wager within 2 or so hours, everyone will be out of there.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-10-13, 09:12 PM
Aye, all the talk about who was the last miner, but really Guiness, if they give out a record, will give it to the whole group.

Haruki-kun
2010-10-13, 10:34 PM
Aye, all the talk about who was the last miner, but really Guiness, if they give out a record, will give it to the whole group.

They'd probably still mention who was the last out. :smalltongue:

Gullara
2010-10-13, 10:41 PM
They'd probably still mention who was the last out. :smalltongue:

And all the glory will be his.

skywalker
2010-10-14, 03:30 AM
And all the glory will be his.

Luis is rumored to be the one who got everybody together and said "we're going to make these 3 days of rations last as long as we can" when the cave-in first occurred. They've called him a "foreman," and apparently he made quite sure he was going to be the last one out not as a "longest underground" thing, but as a "I'm in charge until the end" type of thing.

But! The rescue workers were down there after him, even. The last guy out was the first guy who went down last night at midnight.

I wonder what leaving that place was like... Certainly, joyous, but this place has been their whole life for 69 days... Wow.

Serpentine
2010-10-14, 05:14 AM
I said that :smalltongue:
I was actually thinking the guy who took charge and organised everyone could well qualify, too.
Which segways(sp?) nicely into my response to Noircat, as according to Wikipedia when I looked at it a couple of hours ago, that same man is the one being awarded with that particular honour.But now it's been confirmed/actually happened. So... swoot!

Yora
2010-10-14, 05:22 AM
But! The rescue workers were down there after him, even. The last guy out was the first guy who went down last night at midnight.
Didn't think of it. that they also send guys down. But that seems much nicer for the last man, then to sit down there all alone for half an hour after all your buddies are gone.

Mathis
2010-10-14, 05:32 AM
Luiz Urzua was their shift-manager. To miners, that's who's boss. He makes the decisions when they are underground and takes care of their safety. Miners have to be able to trust their shift-manager completely because their lives are in his hands. Luis took this a step further and stepped up and above his normal duties, keeping a strict dicipline and organizing life in the hole even after the catastrophic event. Among other things he:

Organized the rations.
Divided the workers into two different shifts.
Divided what space they had into a sleeping quarters and a medicinal area.
He used trucklights to simulate sunlight.

Im sure that if he hadn't stepped up and taken charge, someone else would have. But that's not the point. The point is that he did, and he deserves credit for it. My guess is he's going to get some sort of medal from the Chilenean government. Perhaps some of the other workers will too.

Lord Loss
2010-10-14, 05:36 AM
I'm just glad to see that everyone came out safe. Apparently they're refusing a contract that'll give them a share on all movies or books made about them?

Mathis
2010-10-14, 11:56 PM
I'm just glad to see that everyone came out safe. Apparently they're refusing a contract that'll give them a share on all movies or books made about them?

No. They have actually engaged a lawyer to make sure they get exactly that. They have however, signed a contract in between themselves where they promise to stay quiet about what went on the first 17 days before help arrived. Apparently, things happened down there they will never want to talk about.

skywalker
2010-10-15, 12:33 AM
No. They have actually engaged a lawyer to make sure they get exactly that. They have however, signed a contract in between themselves where they promise to stay quiet about what went on the first 17 days before help arrived. Apparently, things happened down there they will never want to talk about.

That's kinda weird, and will only lead to inevitable questions like... What the heck happened? Certainly they didn't eat somebody...

I hear the first guy out was also regarded as a "leader" of some sort among the miners.

Mathis
2010-10-15, 02:10 AM
Yeah, that was the first thing that struck me as well. I was incredibly curious to find out what went on. I'm guessing that they are all actually brilliant at public relations and know exactly how to spin their story to create a second firestorm in media. <- bad joke.

Jayngfet
2010-10-15, 02:39 PM
It seems something bad happened they don't want to talk about. Obviously no one DIED but odds are nobody checked for particular scars and psychologists would need to dig for a bit to find out.

Unfortunatly this means film directors are free to "take liberities" and try to film something that's totally unrealistic and completly stupid.

Morph Bark
2010-10-15, 02:43 PM
It's a good thing all 33 could be reunited with their families again. They probably have garnered some wisdom from the experience, seeing how deep they went.

Eldan
2010-10-15, 02:44 PM
Monsters, secret civilizations, government experiments. That kind of liberties?

Winthur
2010-10-15, 02:45 PM
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/2280/chileworkers.jpg

Elfin
2010-10-17, 12:24 AM
With all the attention being given to the miners' rescue, it surprises me that there's been very little focus on the abysmal mining conditions in Chile.

Anyway: huzzah. :smallsmile:

Though I must say: that Chilean president is one lucky guy, having such an opportunity for good publicity dropped in his lap.

Rockphed
2010-10-17, 02:45 AM
It seems something bad happened they don't want to talk about. Obviously no one DIED but odds are nobody checked for particular scars and psychologists would need to dig for a bit to find out.

Unfortunatly this means film directors are free to "take liberities" and try to film something that's totally unrealistic and completly stupid.

I'm guessing that the shift leader had to beat people up to get them in line. Or they were seriously talking about who they were going to eat first. Or they put down that talk with a firm hand when it cropped up and they want to keep it down. Or the "two shifts" thing was some of them getting mad at the rest of them so they went somewhere else. Any of which makes a good movie in my opinion. Or, if you really want to go whole hog, do ALL of it.:smallamused:

pendell
2010-10-18, 09:43 AM
http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/2280/chileworkers.jpg

That is an AWESOME graphic.

Respectfully,

Brian P.