PDA

View Full Version : The angels cry, and I can't figure this character out! (3.5)

KatfishKaos
2010-10-12, 10:47 PM
So playgrounders,

I come to you with a challenge. My boss has decided that i'm a cool enough dude to let me roleplay with him, and being my boss I can't say no. Now, here's the challenge... Level 11 gestalt. Two feats at first level, a feat every level thereafter. Sounds good so far? Yeah, kind of does... How about this? EVERY supplement is open (as long as i'm not resorting to pun pun levels of cheese everything is in). Still sounds good.... 36 point buy with an additional 10 points to put in stats (you can put a max of 5 in one stat).

Now to the problem... Diplomacy comes off of the Wisdom stat. Intimidation comes off of the Constitution stat and Bluff is still with Charisma. I really, REALLY. Want to play a bard. I can do character creation well. But well enough to have that many high stats and still able to do combat well? I just can't.

Help me playgrounders, you are my only hope.

Morithias
2010-10-12, 10:53 PM
Find a way to make yourself resistance to non-lethal damage, and take the legendary words of creation. Then combine with that class that grants bonus feats in dragon. Who needs the bard to fight, when everyone has 3 extra feats, and +8 to ac and hit?

Emperor Ing
2010-10-12, 10:53 PM
Glibness (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Glibness) is a 3rd level bard spell. Use that for those nasty Bluff checks. Cha is extremely important for Bards, so you're gonna have high skill mod to Bluff by default. Because it's a class skill and Bards get 6 base skill pts per level, you'll be able to put ranks in other social skills like Diplomacy.

I'd recommend just avoiding having to need to use Intimidate. Whatever Intimidate can do, Diplomacy can probably do better. Maxing ranks in Diplomacy is probably not a bad idea by default.

Anyways, it sounds like the majority of your concerns are about skills. Judging by the non-standard setup of this gestalt game, it sounds REALLY high-powered. Sorry I can't be much more help, everyone else is a much better optimizer than I.

KatfishKaos
2010-10-12, 11:02 PM
Well, usually I boost charisma until its coming out of everyone's ears. Thus the idea was Magic Blooded Lesser Aasimar. Yet, i'm wondering if there isn't a more hilariously awesome way to boost wisdom also. Or y'know, a bunch of stats.

Gabe the Bard
2010-10-13, 12:00 AM
There's the Heartwarder PrC, which gives you +1 to Charisma every odd level. You could use that to focus less on Charisma and more on boosting your wisdom. Although I would max out Charisma over Wisdom anyway, since your spell DCs are still based on Charisma.

true_shinken
2010-10-13, 12:07 AM
Bard//Crusader.
Song of the White Raven. Song of the Heart. Inspiration Boost. Badge of Valor. Words of Creation.

Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his inspire courage level?
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/8064/over9thousand.gif
What, +16 at 13th level?! It must be broken!

Wings of Peace
2010-10-13, 02:53 AM
Take Dragonfire Inspiration and dip a few levels of master thrower for Palm Throw
+
Make the other side a druid//planar shepard
+
Profit
!

Side Note: Improvisation is a fantastic bard spell for doing skill based things. It is found in the Spell Compendium.

Dark_Nohn
2010-10-13, 03:34 AM
You could make your character as bland and un-optimized as possible as a different version of optimization. Make a monk/shadowdancer//bard... as if monks weren't MAD enough, now they have to deal with CHA too, and don't make INT a dump stat so you can justify having clever pranks. For your alignment, claim it's Lawful Chaotic, and if the DM says that isn't an alignment, claim that your character is chaotic enough to make it work. For your race, go half-orc//half-elf, and say you gestalted that too. As for feats, take toughness at every chance you get. Hopefully the character will be so un-optimized that you can find your way into an uncanny valley of true optimization.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-10-13, 03:51 AM
You could make your character as bland and un-optimized as possible as a different version of optimization. Make a monk/shadowdancer//bard... as if monks weren't MAD enough, now they have to deal with CHA too, and don't make INT a dump stat so you can justify having clever pranks. For your alignment, claim it's Lawful Chaotic, and if the DM says that isn't an alignment, claim that your character is chaotic enough to make it work. For your race, go half-orc//half-elf, and say you gestalted that too. As for feats, take toughness at every chance you get. Hopefully the character will be so un-optimized that you can find your way into an uncanny valley of true optimization.

im so stealing this for my sig

Myth
2010-10-13, 04:03 AM
This is a very powerful build and I think your DM wants to try out his custom uber monsters / NPCs. As such he can DM Fiat your Diplomacy. I'd suggest playing something that can survive instead of a Bard. Or Wizard/Factotum. With that many feats you can make an Incantatrix go BOOM.

Ankhman
2010-10-13, 04:44 AM
or .. if bard is still favored, go bard/cleric - taking inspire courage/words of creation from the bard and DMM from the cleric (high charisma is beneficial for that). that way you'll be a singing clericzilla. diplomacy covered.
stats? hmm pointbuy 36 +10 ... 16 10 10 10 16 16 --> 18 10 14 10 18 18

Fouredged Sword
2010-10-13, 08:34 PM
DMM persist and metamagic song will grant you so much free metamagic you won't know what to do with it all. Don't bother with reducers, just get extend, persist and DMM persist and go from there. Persisted glibness. Persisted anything. Quicken shaped heightened glitterdust!