PDA

View Full Version : Invisible to Enemies (Help)

Lev
2010-10-13, 12:11 AM
Well there is a oriental shaman spell that I can't quite understand, but it sounds insanely useful.

Basically what I'm getting from it is that a hostile creature that perceives you must make the saving throw or it ignores you like a human in a borg hive, which means that if you act ridiculous you can pick out people with hostile intent.

Alternatively what I gathered is that if a creature turns hostile, it's like you suddenly cannot be noticed by it, which basically means you gain invisibility when you need it if you need it.

Anyone have experience with this spell?

Ravens_cry
2010-10-13, 12:41 AM
Sounds a lot like Sanctuary in effect, though more flexible. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sanctuary.htm) I am not quite sure what your question is.

Admiral Squish
2010-10-13, 12:45 AM
Imagine it: you walk up, punch someone, and when they go to retaliate, you're gone. Would be a great way to start bar fights.

Zaydos
2010-10-13, 02:01 AM
It's pretty much Invisibility to Undead but replace Undead with Hostile Creatures with Int 5+, a longer casting time (1 round) and a short duration (3 rounds/level) as a Lv 3 spell; neat and useful but Invisibility is better.

But yeah you are unperceived by hostile creatures which is neat.

nyjastul69
2010-10-13, 03:46 AM
Well there is a oriental shaman spell that I can't quite understand, but it sounds insanely useful.

Basically what I'm getting from it is that a hostile creature that perceives you must make the saving throw or it ignores you like a human in a borg hive, which means that if you act ridiculous you can pick out people with hostile intent.

Alternatively what I gathered is that if a creature turns hostile, it's like you suddenly cannot be noticed by it, which basically means you gain invisibility when you need it if you need it.

Anyone have experience with this spell?

What is the name of the spell?

Lev
2010-10-13, 05:12 AM
It's pretty much Invisibility to Undead but replace Undead with Hostile Creatures with Int 5+, a longer casting time (1 round) and a short duration (3 rounds/level) as a Lv 3 spell; neat and useful but Invisibility is better.

But yeah you are unperceived by hostile creatures which is neat.

Well, yes you could say invisibility is more useful, but that only blocks vision and only for your things at the time of casting.

With this spell you could basically come in and steal anything right in front of them and they'd be forced not to notice and treat it as normal... as long as the spell doesn't fail that is ;]

Person_Man
2010-10-13, 08:22 AM
I'm not familiar with the spell in question. Can you please cite the name, book, and page number?

As Ravens mentioned, there's Sanctuary, which is very useful for dedicated Summoners, buff bots, and healers. There's also Antipathy (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Antipathy). The Binder also has access to the Zagon vestige, which makes your enemies have Antipathy towards snakes (which you can Summon or make an illusion of) and the Dantalion vestige, which prevents any one enemy from taking any hostile action against you for one round. (No Save – it just happens).

There's also the mole trick, where you get a Burrow speed or Etherealness and figure out a way to move/do something/move so that you end every turn in a manner that your enemies never have line of sight (because you're underground or on the other side of a wall).

In any case, reverse aggro tricks can be very useful. But you generally want to use them rarely. Your DM will dream up enemies with ridiculous counter measures - or worse - the same combo.

Zaydos
2010-10-13, 08:50 AM
Well, yes you could say invisibility is more useful, but that only blocks vision and only for your things at the time of casting.

With this spell you could basically come in and steal anything right in front of them and they'd be forced not to notice and treat it as normal... as long as the spell doesn't fail that is ;]

They still perceive that the item vanished and react accordingly.

Lev
2010-10-13, 11:53 AM
They still perceive that the item vanished and react accordingly.
Well that's really what I need help with, would a NPC of monster think it vanished, or would see you take it and just mentally deny the events?

Flickerdart
2010-10-13, 11:57 AM
They would see the item disappear, because once you have it on your person, they can't detect it. They might be able to surmise, with a good INT or WIS, that there's an invisible guy running around.

Zaydos
2010-10-13, 12:08 PM
They wouldn't be able to perceive you but they could perceive that the object vanished. Even then only if they were hostile before hand, if they only become hostile after you took the item it would appear as if you teleported or used invisibility when you suddenly disappear.

Lev
2010-10-13, 12:52 PM
Hm I guess that makes sense, I guess I got confused by the wording "acts as though they aren't there" in terms of it being more of a mind compulsion.

nyjastul69
2010-10-13, 01:10 PM
Hm I guess that makes sense, I guess I got confused by the wording "acts as though they aren't there" in terms of it being more of a mind compulsion.

A mind compulsion would have both, mind-affecting and compulsion, as key terms.

The reference is page 106 of the 3.0 Oriental Adventures Campaign Setting.

Lev
2010-10-13, 01:46 PM
A mind compulsion would have both, mind-affecting and compulsion, as key terms.

The reference is page 106 of the 3.0 Oriental Adventures Campaign Setting.
So it isn't mind effecting? I do not understand how this spell works.

nyjastul69
2010-10-13, 03:23 PM
So it isn't mind effecting? I do not understand how this spell works.

The descriptions of 'mind-affecting' and 'compulsions' can be found here.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm

I'd like to go into greater depth with an interpretation, but I'm less than 1 hr. from being picked for my D&D game, and I still need to eat and shower. Nobody wants a stinky and hungry gamer at their table. :smallyuk: I'll check in after the session, but if I know these boards you'll get more than enough feedback by then. :smallcool:

Lev
2010-10-13, 03:55 PM
The descriptions of 'mind-affecting' and 'compulsions' can be found here.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm

I'd like to go into greater depth with an interpretation, but I'm less than 1 hr. from being picked for my D&D game, and I still need to eat and shower. Nobody wants a stinky and hungry gamer at their table. :smallyuk: I'll check in after the session, but if I know these boards you'll get more than enough feedback by then. :smallcool:

Charm

A charm spell changes how the subject views you, typically making it see you as a good friend.
Compulsion

A compulsion spell forces the subject to act in some manner or changes the way her mind works. Some compulsion spells determine the subject’s actions or the effects on the subject, some compulsion spells allow you to determine the subject’s actions when you cast the spell, and others give you ongoing control over the subject.
It seems like it could qualify for both charm and compulsion?

Very odd that it's abjuration.

Flickerdart
2010-10-13, 04:07 PM
Both Sanctuary and Hide from Undead are abjurations that are neither mind-affecting nor compulsions. Logically, this shouldn't be either if it doesn't have the tags already.