PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying something complex.

Morithias
2010-10-13, 12:30 AM
Basically here is the summed up situation. In the past there was this tribe of humans that was all but killed off by orcs, but due to the orcs having some form of honor they spared the females. Seeing that they would eventually vanish a "Sage" (homebrew version of deity the DM made up), blessed all the women and gave them key traits in terms of reproduction.

1. They are now a unique race, and are treated as such.
2. This race can only be female, due to whenever said race reproduces it always creates a version of their own race if the child is female. The creature is male it's human.

However due to a giant war, every person in this race (to the PC's knowledge), except for one infant was killed off. 20 years later this infant is now this poster's PC. After learning of her history, she now faces a major challenge after the core campaign is done.

Finding a way to reject a certain character.

Basically in this campaign world lycantrope is not really a template, and more of a disease. There is no control shape feat, and even if you're natural you have a hard time controlling your urges. This lycan has taken to her, once she revealed that she is unable to pass on his 'curse' as he claimed it to be.

However at the same time, she wants to help him and sees that he is falling for her, but she realizes that if she just has children with him, it will be many generations before her people can actually cross blood streams, (she does have a basic understanding of biology, and knows that inbreeding will eventually make a race sterile).

So I need help finding a way to roleplay basically rejecting this guy, and saying "look I can help carry your bloodline, but I have to sleep with those 5 other guys to, to help my people thrive".

Wow...this is probably the weirdest help thread I've ever created.

true_shinken
2010-10-13, 12:32 AM
She could just sleep with him and then run away.

Morithias
2010-10-13, 12:37 AM
She could just sleep with him and then run away.

Did I mention this character is another PC? Not to mention after months of fighting off the return of the dark forces that killed her people together, and the fact that she's Lawful Good. Running away isn't really in character....

Reluctance
2010-10-13, 12:54 AM
How would an all-female race cross bloodstreams in the first place?

true_shinken
2010-10-13, 12:58 AM
Did I mention this character is another PC? Not to mention after months of fighting off the return of the dark forces that killed her people together, and the fact that she's Lawful Good. Running away isn't really in character....

I guess the whole point is... is she in love with him? If she is not and she is Lawful Good, she shouldn't sleep with him if he does not understand they don't have a future together. If she is in love with him, then it becomes duty x love. It's an awesome internal conflict.
She could try to have a few children and a few years later settle with the lycan.

Morithias
2010-10-13, 01:04 AM
How would an all-female race cross bloodstreams in the first place?

I mispoke. I meant to say when they give birth to a female, it's always one of her race. When it's male, it's human, which is the race that her race evolved from.

I guess the whole point is... is she in love with him? If she is not and she is Lawful Good, she shouldn't sleep with him if he does not understand they don't have a future together. If she is in love with him, then it becomes duty x love. It's an awesome internal conflict.
She could try to have a few children and a few years later settle with the lycan.

She is somewhat attracted to him, however she realizes what a single breed could mean about her kind.

herrhauptmann
2010-10-13, 01:25 AM
When it's male, it's human, which is the race that her race evolved from.

This line confuses me. You mean if one of these women and a human male reproduce, the result is always another of the tribe of women? Or if they have a male child, said child is always a human, regardless of what race the father was?
Don't think the character should worry about any inbreeding, forget sterilization at least for the next few generations. Because
a) That stuff takes generations to take effect
b)Your characters kids, grandkids, and even greatgrandkids are all likely to know the majority of their own generation. So if you raise them right, the idea of having sex with their relatives won't even enter into their heads outside of a Jerry Springer show.

Seriously, unless you're on a deserted island, the chance of your offspring inbreeding is pretty low. If you're worried about it, as a parent, play your character to be the matriarch of a huge clan that grows as the children get married. Your children get married, they buy houses next to yours, when their children get married, they buy houses across the street. This way, everyone will know who their first and second cousins are, even generations down the line. It'll be easy, because the entire neighborhood are relatives, gotta go outside that to find a spouse. If you doubt that, go to the town of Hetrick Pennsylvania. Literally a fifth of the town is named Hetrick.

And in your first post, what do you mean by 'vanish a sage'?

DragonOfUndeath
2010-10-13, 01:25 AM
what alignment is the lycan? and if it understands about the race then he should let her have kids with other people plus any women from the relationship could have kids with any human (except brothers etc.) so i dont see the problem

@^ i think the OP meant "seeing they would vanish, a God changed them into"

Morithias
2010-10-13, 01:49 AM
Ok we figured out the biological way they work.

1. With the exception of the antro-scorpion template that makes up the female, they ignore all templates when reproducing.

The PC was blessed one last time seeing how she was the last one. She has a special "XX-XX" gender gene. Any children she has will be female, the "4x" gene, automatically produces, however in order to overrule the mate's dna, half of the gene is gone.

So her children will be XX and female.

Here is where it gets tricky. Their XX gene is basically supernatural and not biological. It is the only thing that gives them their nature, it is literally their whole DNA.

When her children mate with males the male will have Y-X and they will have XX

If a XX-Y is born, the Y overrules the nature of the XX gene, and the child will be the same race as the father (although may have some traits of the mother like eye color).

If a XX-X is born, the X is deleted, and another XX is created.

Now, an XX-Y CAN mate with an XX, which if close enough in terms of family, will screw it up. However if it works, the 4x gene will either be recreated, or it will be another of the father's race.

However, if an XX-Y mates with someone who is not an XX, but rather a normal female. The child could be either XX-X and antro-scorpion (XX technically) , or Y-X, which follows the standard rules as if the father did not carry the scorpion gene.

So yes, if your mother was one of this race, and you didn't know. You could in theory, have a human breed with an elf, and if the child is female, it be an antro-scorpion instead of a half-elf.

The Lycan is NG, but due to his canine nature, he sort of sees her the way a dog would see his owner.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-10-13, 02:42 AM
so basically the perfect male in a amazonian/woman-centric society

kamikasei
2010-10-13, 03:54 AM
What does the lycanthrope want? What is the female PC afraid of?

You talk about inbreeding but I don't see what that has to do with anything.

Let me see if I have this straight. Your PC is the last of the anthro-scorpions. So, she wants to have a large number of children, who due to how her race works will come out as female anthro-scorpions. Ideally I suppose these would all be with different fathers for maximum diversity. Then they would each individually do much the same (though without the guarantee of producing females of their own race), until after a couple of generations of bringing in other bloodlines the race has enough diversity to breed among itself again (...which shouldn't even be a factor if they're all female, should it?).

I don't understand why having a kid with the lycanthrope would cause a problem here. If it's just that she doesn't want to have a kid with him specificially, or that he'd get possessive and wouldn't want her to have kids with other men, then tell him "sorry, no" for those reasons.

(If the lycanthrope is that concerned about continuing his family without passing on his lycanthropy, it might be a little less extreme to just adopt an heir than to try to produce one with a magical anthro-scorpion, incidentally...)

Morithias
2010-10-13, 04:47 AM
What does the lycanthrope want? What is the female PC afraid of?

You talk about inbreeding but I don't see what that has to do with anything.

Let me see if I have this straight. Your PC is the last of the anthro-scorpions. So, she wants to have a large number of children, who due to how her race works will come out as female anthro-scorpions. Ideally I suppose these would all be with different fathers for maximum diversity. Then they would each individually do much the same (though without the guarantee of producing females of their own race), until after a couple of generations of bringing in other bloodlines the race has enough diversity to breed among itself again (...which shouldn't even be a factor if they're all female, should it?).

I don't understand why having a kid with the lycanthrope would cause a problem here. If it's just that she doesn't want to have a kid with him specificially, or that he'd get possessive and wouldn't want her to have kids with other men, then tell him "sorry, no" for those reasons.

(If the lycanthrope is that concerned about continuing his family without passing on his lycanthropy, it might be a little less extreme to just adopt an heir than to try to produce one with a magical anthro-scorpion, incidentally...)

She's afraid of breeding with only one father due to the fact that she does have a basic understanding of biology and husbandry. She believes that one father could possible make the Dna too similar and therefore make inbreeding more likely. Ironically earlier in the campaign she accused a bunch of elitist necromancers (basically think as a human version of the drow), that due to their low numbers, breeding only among themselves would eventually make their race sterile leading them to extinction.

Basically that is her fear, she has nothing against the wolf personally, and actually does like him, she simply is afraid of her people losing the ability to reproduce at all.

She simply doesn't know how to tell him "look even if I have a kid with you, I still need to have more than one, with more than one man". lol Of course this is little problem in the real world, I'm just trying to keep her in character, and myself being a 20 year old male, it's hard for me to put myself in her shoes.

so basically the perfect male in a amazonian/woman-centric society

One could in theory argue that, but seeing how she is the last one, once the campaign is over the "society" of her people, is basically going to be "Whatever I as a PC decide to make it". I think besides the rare 4x genes, it's not going to be woman-centric, with the exception of the miltiary. (Hey +6 con and +3 natural armor does a lot in low level combat).

kamikasei
2010-10-13, 05:09 AM
She simply doesn't know how to tell him "look even if I have a kid with you, I still need to have more than one, with more than one man". lol Of course this is little problem in the real world, I'm just trying to keep her in character, and myself being a 20 year old male, it's hard for me to put myself in her shoes.
*shrug*

Depends entirely on her personality, the lycanthrope's, and their history together. I'd just go with telling him directly to be honest. He wants her for her ovaries, he can bloody well deal with not having exclusive rights over them.

Fallbot
2010-10-13, 08:52 AM
I don't understand how inbreeding is a danger :smallconfused:. It's not like her children are going to have to mate with each other, is it? As long as I'm reading this, right, any females of the species that have female children will breed "true", producing more anthro-scorpion girls, regardless of who they mate with. Any daughters they have will also be anthro-scorpions and so on. And it's also possible for her male children to produce anthro-scorpion daughters. Why would they ever need to inbreed when they can produce more of their race by mating with members of other species? Genetic diversity shouldn't be a problem.

jiriku
2010-10-13, 09:34 AM
So I need help finding a way to roleplay basically rejecting this guy, and saying "look I can help carry your bloodline, but I have to sleep with those 5 other guys to, to help my people thrive".

Wow...this is probably the weirdest help thread I've ever created.

This is actually rather easy. You simply need to let him down easy and then move on. Women have been doing this for the history of civilization (albeit without the weird context).

Here are some classics:

{table=head]What you'll say|What it means
"It's not you. It's me."|"It's you."
"I need space."|"I need space in which to see other men."
"I need to find myself."|"Being with you is awkward and uncomfortable."
"I really think of you as a friend."|"I'm never going to sleep with you again."
"I think we should be friends first."|"I think we should only ever be friends."
"We should see other people."|"I'm seeing other people."[/table]

Take your pick! :smalltongue:

Greenish
2010-10-13, 09:46 AM
However at the same time, she wants to help him and sees that he is falling for her, but she realizes that if she just has children with him, it will be many generations before her people can actually cross blood streams, (she does have a basic understanding of biology, and knows that inbreeding will eventually make a race sterile).

So I need help finding a way to roleplay basically rejecting this guy, and saying "look I can help carry your bloodline, but I have to sleep with those 5 other guys to, to help my people thrive".Have the fellow killed, then resurrect him after popping a few babies. It's not cheating if he's dead!

Anyhow, is there any specific reason her race should survive ("the world will end without them!"), or does she just fancy the idea?

Can't the ol' meddler in the sky meddle some more? I mean, if you got a god with demonstrated interest in preserving the race, I wouldn't bother worrying about inbreeding.

Morithias
2010-10-13, 01:17 PM
It's not that they're capable of breeding with each other directly, but I think in real life you need like 2 to 3 generations apart before you can avoid any negative effects. She's more worried, that male child gen 2, will breed with female child gen 2 or some variant thereof if she doesn't spread it out.

Jarawara
2010-10-13, 03:24 PM

A few ideas...

You can slip out the back, Jack.
Make a new plan, Stan.
You don't need to be coy, Roy.
(Just listen to me.)
Hop on the bus, Gus.
You don't need to discuss much...
Just drop off the key, Lee.

And set yourself free!

herrhauptmann
2010-10-13, 05:03 PM
It's not that they're capable of breeding with each other directly, but I think in real life you need like 2 to 3 generations apart before you can avoid any negative effects. She's more worried, that male child gen 2, will breed with female child gen 2 or some variant thereof if she doesn't spread it out.

I'm still wondering why this is such an issue for this character, when it isn't an issue for any other character who wants to raise a family.
Turns out, Momma is raising the kids, she knows they're hers, if she's raising them 'correctly' the chances of them desiring their siblings is nill.
Now, if the character was a male who was sowing his seed to the wind, I could easily see his various offspring not knowing who their half-siblings actually are. But since it's probably rare for someone to impregnate that many women in that small an area, the chances of his various children ever meeting seems rather low.
Look at Julio Scoundre`l, a son and/or daughter in every port. An older, lifelong player, might have as many as a dozen kids in each port of call. That's a dozen kids in a city.
Women don't quite have the same option to leave children all over the place, the whole 9 month commitment and all.

Morithias
2010-10-13, 05:06 PM
I'm still wondering why this is such an issue for this character, when it isn't an issue for any other character who wants to raise a family.
Turns out, Momma is raising the kids, she knows they're hers, if she's raising them 'correctly' the chances of them desiring their siblings is nill.
Now, if the character was a male who was sowing his seed to the wind, I could easily see his various offspring not knowing who their half-siblings actually are. But since it's probably rare for someone to impregnate that many women in that small an area, the chances of his various children ever meeting seems rather low.
Look at Julio Scoundre`l, a son and/or daughter in every port. An older, lifelong player, might have as many as a dozen kids in each port of call. That's a dozen kids in a city.
Women don't quite have the same option to leave children all over the place, the whole 9 month commitment and all.

The reason it's an issue, is because she's literally the last of her race. A single misstep could corrupt a large amount of their genetics. If she has 4 kids, that means a single misstepped crossbreed 2 generations later could potentiality screw up 12.5% of their populations biostructure. A whole 1/8 of her people.

Greenish
2010-10-13, 05:11 PM
The reason it's an issue, is because she's literally the last of her race.So? :smallconfused:

Morithias
2010-10-13, 05:15 PM
So? :smallconfused:

She has an understanding of bloodlines and husbandry? She knows that inbreeding can and WILL eventually leave a species sterile.

Greenish
2010-10-13, 05:18 PM
She has an understanding of bloodlines and husbandry? She knows that inbreeding can and WILL eventually leave a species sterile.Yes. I'm still not seeing the problem. Does she have a biodiversity fetish or something? Is the world going to end if her race ceases to exist? Is the continuation of her bloodline central in her religion?

[Edit]: Is her "race" even a separate race, given that they can interbreed with humans?

DragonOfUndeath
2010-10-13, 05:26 PM
Is her "race" even a separate race, given that they can interbreed with humans?

thats like saying orcs, elves and humans are the same race as they can interbreed with each other

Greenish
2010-10-13, 05:29 PM
thats like saying orcs, elves and humans are the same race as they can interbreed with each otherThat's what you get when you mix D&D and real world biology.

Technically though, orcs, elves and humans are ring species (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_species).

Morithias
2010-10-13, 05:34 PM
Yes. I'm still not seeing the problem. Does she have a biodiversity fetish or something? Is the world going to end if her race ceases to exist? Is the continuation of her bloodline central in her religion?

[Edit]: Is her "race" even a separate race, given that they can interbreed with humans?

She doesn't have a biodiversity fetish, she just doesn't want her kind to vanish from existence. The same way that a minority in our world wouldn't want their culture and people to vanish from existence.

And as stated by the others, her race is technically a separate race. Hell if you use the template rules, angels, devils, and dragon can breed with anything. Are you saying a human and a dragon are the same race?

Greenish
2010-10-13, 05:40 PM
She doesn't have a biodiversity fetish, she just doesn't want her kind to vanish from existence. The same way that a minority in our world wouldn't want their culture and people to vanish from existence.There isn't "her people", though. There's only her. She can easily pass her culture to her human descendants.

And as stated by the others, her race is technically a separate race. Hell if you use the template rules, angels, devils, and dragon can breed with anything. Are you saying a human and a dragon are the same race?I'm curious as to what criteria you use as to when to apply real world biology, and when to throw it in the bin.

And of course, there's the deity hanging out. He saved them from "extinction" before. Inbreeding should be rather minor compared to what he's already done.

Raistlin1040
2010-10-13, 05:40 PM
I kind of agree with Greenish here. Even if they're technically a different race, they're similar enough to Humans. Also, without making a judgement, I think you should consider your character's motives a little stronger. People are not the same as endangered animals. We have hang-ups about sex and reproduction, and very few people like the idea of having children by six or seven different men. It might seem natural to keep your culture alive, but culture is not exclusive to a race. If I were playing your character (and I'm not, so this is just my opinion), I'd think she'd be more concerned with teaching as much about her culture as possible, and less about the actual reproduction. Is it more important to pass on the language, the art, and the traditions to people who may not have genetic makeup of the race, but want to learn about a dying culture, or is it more important to create a bunch of children who might grow up knowing nothing of their race (as adventurers aren't known for their longevity)?

Morithias
2010-10-13, 05:41 PM
There isn't "her people", though. There's only her. She can easily pass her culture to her human descendants.
I'm curious as to what criteria you use as to when to apply real world biology, and when to throw it in the bin.

And of course, there's the deity hanging out. He saved them from "extinction" before. Inbreeding should be rather minor compared to what he's already done.

Actually the "sage"/deity was killed during the war that genocided her people.

herrhauptmann
2010-10-13, 05:47 PM
The reason it's an issue, is because she's literally the last of her race. A single misstep could corrupt a large amount of their genetics. If she has 4 kids, that means a single misstepped crossbreed 2 generations later could potentiality screw up 12.5% of their populations biostructure. A whole 1/8 of her people.

So would it have been less if an issue if she was the last of a great and noble house? If she messes up there, 3 generations later, and the royal line is gone. The country no longer has a king, start with the wars as neighbors try to take over.
Besides, I'm pretty sure that even one instance of inbreeding won't destroy a family line. That it takes several generations of inbreeding, brother to sister, parent to child, child to aunt/uncle etc to damage a line beyond repair. Look at the Egyptian pharaohs. (Or the Hapsburgs)

-I think we must have slightly different backgrounds. My opinion is that outside of a Jerry Springer show, no one in their right mind is going to want to have sex with their close relatives. Her children will all know one another, and her grandkids will all know their cousins. Thus, they know who their family is, and being family, they have no desire for sex. That is what I keep referring to as "Raising her kids right."

-Finally, this is all going to happen after you retire the character right? At that point, just declare that it works out properly with a nice sounding story. She settles down with two husbands who love her and respect one another, and raises her kids. Now despite being halfsiblings, her kids grow up to view each other as full family.
Her kids get married and have children of their own. Her children were raised in a tight-knit family, so they raise their own children in a tight-knit family. And she even lives long enough to see her greatgrandchildren take their first steps. By this point, they've got several generations of practice in raising tightknit families. Families where the idea of having sex with your family is abhorrent. (Back to "raising your kids right")
At that point, the only worry is that an illegitimate child raised away from the flock ends up marrying into the family. But it's still just a story that you make after you retire your character.

-Perhaps after menopause she turns herself into an undead, or an Elan, and continues to guide the family from behind the scenes, even arranging marriages. Ann Rice did it with her Vampire books, so why not use it here?

-Perhaps you should talk to an Ag Major with an interest in cattle breeding. Ask him how he would keep an entire genetic line intact using a single pureblooded female.
I'm done beating my head against the wall. Do what you want with this.
This is a molehill, put that sherpa back where you found him!

Zeofar
2010-10-13, 06:23 PM
To start, the fact that the guy is a Lycanthrope has little to do with the actual topic as far as I can see, so I'm just going to ignore that.

Now, maybe I missed something, but I don't understand what the problem is and why the "anthro-scorpion" needs multiple mates. As far as I see it, this is how it would work:

s is a scorpion girl. p is a part-scorpion boy. h is a normal human, or whatever.

1. As1 has a female baby, thus a scorpion thing, making it Bs1. She also has a male baby, making it Bp1.
2. Bs1 goes with human Mate 1 has 4 children, two males and two females, thus being Cs1, Cs2, Cp1, and Cp2.
3. Bp1 goes with human Mate 2 has 4 children, two males and two females, thus being Cs3, Cp3, Ch1, and Ch2.
4. Extrapolate infinitely until all females of all races are scorpion things.

Really, I don't get what is going on here. According to your posts, they don't need to interbreed at any point, so diversity is insignificant. At most, they all just need to have as many children as is physically possible to increase the number of scorpion babies born, regardless of with whom. If I'm doing this right, 75% of all young born have the chance of creating more scorpions if you fold out the humans from future generations. She should just tell her children of their unique origins, and bid their respective families to stay strong and tightly knit, so they always know who is who, but also tell them to settle in different cities. Within a few generations (or really, the first generation, since I don't understand how this would happen any more easily than a typical family) it will be no more likely that they'll interbreed than anyone else. The fact is that she was a newborn when the rest of her kind died, so she has no greater connection to the culture than any of her children who read scorpi-history, so the concept of them living in scorpi-villages is trivial and pointless.

The same way that a minority in our world wouldn't want their culture and people to vanish from existence.

lolwut
I think you have some strange ideas here. Even if a minority did feel the need to preserve their race and culture, what gives you the idea that this would be the manner they'd do it? In fact, if someone is particularly proud about their familial, not racial, bloodline, which is more common than you might think, do you really imagine that the best course of action would be to just sleep with any many people as possible?

Edit: Also, as a final note, I'd like to mention that your character and possibly you have a somewhat faulty understanding of biology - genetic defects don't come out of nowhere. If your character and/or her race has no genetic defects, they can probably interbreed for millennia before a natural or artificial mutation is introduced that will cause the thing to come tumbling down. In a world where heroics and magic exist, and this race was actually created by magic and has magic DNA, it isn't all that unlikely that they don't have a recessive gene that makes their heads never join together properly.

KillianHawkeye
2010-10-13, 06:33 PM
Sounds more complicated than it needs to be.

Zeofar
2010-10-13, 06:46 PM
Sounds more complicated than it needs to be.

Pretty much... Morithias is simply making the concept of his character having sex with as many men as she can far more important than it actually needs to be. It seems like he is inclined toward that as a character trait, but is trying to find a strong in-character motivation beyond "she's that type of girl." (look somewhere else)

Something else also just came to mind - since the character is Lawful Good and she loves her culture so much, what does that say about marriage, lovers, and partners? If it supports monogamy, she will be heavily inclined toward that, even if I misunderstood the manner in which the genetics would work out. If it doesn't... Well, at that point, it is really whether or not she wants to accept her culture's "free-for-all" approach. On the off-chance that it is a historical "no comment," then you're back to where you started.

Edit: I just gotta add another thing: having only a single parent group will make inbreeding far more unlikely. The way this works is pretty obvious, and has been mentioned in this thread, I believe. Also, remember that inbreeding will not automatically cause 1/8 of her kind to become mutants; a family chain may become defective. Whether or not this spreads to the rest of them depends on whether or not they're really trying to screw up the whole thing. In all likelihood, the defectives will die out and the rest of them, who have nothing to do with this bunch, will go on, business as usual.

Susano-wo
2010-10-13, 07:49 PM
I understand hat she has a veted interest, both practical and personal, in continuing her race. The whole, I have to have sex with different men thing? There's really no need for that, especially if she really drills it into her kids about the whole inbreeding thing. But even so, the best way to deal with the Lycanthrope issue is to simply explain your races conundrum, and that it would be necessary for you to have multiple....

wait wait wait. If she are having sex with lot and lots of males to get a lot of children to continue the race...doesn't that increase the chance for someone to accidentally marry/have sex with their sister? I mean, none of them would know each other....

Starbuck_II
2010-10-13, 08:18 PM
I understand hat she has a veted interest, both practical and personal, in continuing her race. The whole, I have to have sex with different men thing? There's really no need for that, especially if she really drills it into her kids about the whole inbreeding thing. But even so, the best way to deal with the Lycanthrope issue is to simply explain your races conundrum, and that it would be necessary for you to have multiple....

wait wait wait. If she are having sex with lot and lots of males to get a lot of children to continue the race...doesn't that increase the chance for someone to accidentally marry/have sex with their sister? I mean, none of them would know each other....

Good point, her careless sex might cause inbreeding unless the mom knows who each child is And tells them their brother is.

Is the OP taking care of every child?

Zeofar
2010-10-13, 10:48 PM
Is the OP taking care of every child?

Probably, but that doesn't really improve things. As I said before, multiple partners will increase the chance of inbreeding, the reason being that if a partner that she does not keep track of could have a child with someone else who may eventually procreate with another child of hers. Half siblings is still inbreeding.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-10-14, 04:48 AM
so multiple partners or a single partner with LOTS of kids seem to have the same end result. there might even be a bonus to just mating with the lycanthrope: litters
wouldn't a wolf make a litter of kids? i dont know if thats RAW but it sounds right and DM fiat could make it so :smalltongue:

Fallbot
2010-10-14, 05:12 AM
With the situation as it's been explained, herrhauptmann and Zeofar are right about this. There's no biological reason to want to have children with a bunch of different men. Perhaps if anthro-scorpioness was recessive, then it would make sense for those with the correct allele to want to inbreed? Maybe...? Are we confusing genes and alleles here?

Incoherent genetic speculation time!
Your character has the aa genotype and so appears all scorpioney, male has AA. Their Children will be Aa and appear human (lycanthrope, whatever), since the scorpion allele is recessive.

If the children breed with a normal AA male, their children will be either Aa or AA and still appear human. To produce more anthro scorpions it would be necessary to breed with someone else carrying the recessive gene i.e. each other.

Aa and Aa would produce AA (normal human/lycanthrope/whatever), Aa (appears normal but is a carrier) and aa (anthro scorpion, what we're trying to get).

In this scenario then creating more anthro scorpions would depend on carriers inbreeding, and thus it would make sense for her to be worried about this. However, as has been pointed out, it takes generations and generations for deleterious mutations to accrue to the point where inbreeding is a serious problem, and by that point the population would probably be big enough for it not to be an issue. Also, the way you've described the gender effect doesn't make much sense from a genetic standpoint. I guess that can be handwaved by it being magic, but that makes it all rather confusing.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-10-14, 05:23 AM
it does, the sex gene X from the mother (anthro-scorpio) has Allele A, it needs Allele B (only found on humanoid X gene) so people with XY genes (males) have the A allele but not the B allele rendering the offspring normal, any girls from that male would be given the anthro-scorpio X gene and would be a scorpion but this only works in the first generation and the female from the second coupling must be a normal human and NOT an Anthro scorpion so Inbreeding with the males in the first generation would be slowing down the growth rate and decreasing the chance of the race surviving

One Step Two
2010-10-14, 05:57 AM
I think Psycho Mantis has something to say on this matter. Link (http://gigaville.com/comic.php?id=54) contains swears. You've been warned. It's not exactly concise, but basicly, we're looking at this as much too much of at the Genetics. Especially since it's inspired by divine magic.

I think we should look at it at the narrative. And what your character can do about it. The first thing is to talk to your DM and see how you can tie things into the main plot.

If you can, ask your GM for "extended downtime", where you have a kid with the PC your PC loves, you spend time playing happy families, untill you abandon them to "spread the love". With enough downtime you could even re-enter play as the child seeking their mother, looking for answers.

If this detracts from the main plot ask to tie in very specific questing. Things like a magical artefact to change willing women into members of the dying race? Questing to become eternally young to bare children to replenish your race? Finding a way to rebuild yourself as a divine or arane caster, powerful enough to re-write reality to suit your needs.

There's lots of options out there, if you look at the story, not as a numbers game, or genetics for that matter.

Morithias
2010-10-14, 07:50 AM
So to put it short I've been over thinking the whole thing and ran into a logical fallacy. Well that was a screw up XD Thanks for your help people! (Not sarcasm).

One Step Two
2010-10-14, 07:53 AM
So to put it short I've been over thinking the whole thing and ran into a logical fallacy. Well that was a screw up XD Thanks for your help people! (Not sarcasm).

Hey, don't worry about it. I think myself into a freaking corner more times than I like myself. That's why we ask our good forum buddies for advice. If nothing else, they'll point out where we went wrong, and things can get back on track.

Let us know how you decided to resolve things, I actually am quite intrigued by the story.

Susano-wo
2010-10-14, 03:39 PM
no problem! (though, not to complicate things, but your character doesn't necessarily need to realize the fallacy. :smallbiggrin:)