PDA

View Full Version : Need help with an idea for an encounter

Jackolas
2010-10-13, 04:52 AM
Hi guys,
Im running a game for 6 friends and i had an idea that they could be ambushed by a load of worg riders.
My idea was they would intentionally get seen by the pc's and make a load of noise with horns ect. The players would most probably charge in to take them on and try to minimise the chances of charges ect.

and so i come to the part i need help with. My idea was that while this happens the commander of the cavalry unit is hiding nearby on his mount ready to flank the pc's while they are busy with the relatively easy worg cavalry. Do i keep it simple and have him hide in the shrubbery? or can you guys think of a better way of hiding a bugbear on a rhino mount :smallmad:

AslanCross
2010-10-13, 05:01 AM
Rhinos aren't exactly...stealthy creatures. Hiding an ornery creature the size of a minivan is a bit strange, considering that his rider is a 7-foot tall goblinoid.

I think the best thing to do here is make the worg riders mounted archers instead, attacking the PCs from all directions, while the big guy just charges straight for them.

Jackolas
2010-10-13, 05:03 AM
Makes sense. Thanks dude

dsmiles
2010-10-13, 05:27 AM
Rhinos aren't exactly...stealthy creatures. Hiding an ornery creature the size of a minivan is a bit strange, considering that his rider is a 7-foot tall goblinoid.

I think the best thing to do here is make the worg riders mounted archers instead, attacking the PCs from all directions, while the big guy just charges straight for them.

Agreed. Rhinos aren't really sneaky.

Lev
2010-10-13, 05:51 AM
You could shrink it? Tiny rino?

Bag of tricks rino and just fake a roll to see what comes out?

valadil
2010-10-13, 08:43 AM
Do the worg riders have time to hide first? I mean, if they've had time to set up a real ambush they might be able to find a way to hide the rhino (that sounds like a euphemism for some odd reason). If it's a matter of the riders seeing the PCs first and getting a couple rounds to improvise an ambush, then no, they probably can't hide it. Instead I think they'd include the rhino as part of the bait and have sneakier riders ready for the surprise attack.