PDA

View Full Version : A question related to the scale of miniatures

Jackolas
2010-10-13, 06:34 AM
All the mini's we use in our games are 28mm scale. I have an awesome mini that I bought form reaper and paid to get it professionally painted but it a bit big and I really wanna use him.
he is 38mm from toe to head.
My question is this- are there any core races that would allow this guy to be the correct scale when compared to other 28mm miniatures. whats his actual height in real life if scaled up?

Duke of URL
2010-10-13, 06:54 AM
Since "scale" reflects a 6-foot baseline, 38mm vs. 28 mm yields 8.14 feet tall (roughly 8' 2").

As far as I can tell, no medium race can be quite that tall. The tallest half-orcs cap out at 6' 10".

Jackolas
2010-10-13, 06:59 AM
damn! i found a website that claims 28mm is roughly 1/58.
So isnt that 38x58=2204 mm which is 7.1 odd feet.
Couldnt i claim a really big human?

Greenish
2010-10-13, 07:01 AM
Since "scale" reflects a 6-foot baseline, 38mm vs. 28 mm yields 8.14 feet tall (roughly 8' 2").

As far as I can tell, no medium race can be quite that tall. The tallest half-orcs cap out at 6' 10".Well, half-giants could make it, if one considers SRD core.

[Edit]:According to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniature_figure_(gaming)#Scales), a 38' mini in 28' scale would represent a dude about 2.86m tall. The tallest man in the Modern history was mere 2.72m (again, according to wikipedia).

dsmiles
2010-10-13, 11:17 AM
As an aside, my group is more interested in the looks than the scale of the minis, though generally, we all use Reaper DHL/Warlord minis (25mm - 28mm). Some of mine are WHFB (28mm), some are Rackham (28mm), some are Warmachine (30mm), and some are (very) old Ral Partha (20mm) scale minis. They all get used pretty equally. The minis don't provide us with our immersion, the storytelling does. For us the minis are just there to shuffle around during combat to get a better tactical view of the action.

Snake-Aes
2010-10-13, 11:27 AM
Hm, kinda barging in and messing with everything...
What is so important in making it be in the same scale as the other figures, if it doesn't interfere with the grid?

dsmiles
2010-10-13, 11:33 AM
Hm, kinda barging in and messing with everything...
What is so important in making it be in the same scale as the other figures, if it doesn't interfere with the grid?

My point exactly, only less long-winded. :smallwink:

EvilJames
2010-10-13, 11:33 AM
Reaper's scale can get a little wonkey at times, for the most part they are consistant but when you have as many different sculpters as they do it really just can't be helped (my wife's gnoll shaman mini comes to mind in particular, it would stand at least a centemeter taller than any other gnoll mini reaper makes if it weren't hunched over)

But like everyone else has said, just use it, it won't affect your game that much. Just claim your character is the max height and go with it, the exact scale shouldn't really affect anything.

(If you want some really wonkey scale consistencies try looking for some old mage knight mini's their elves apparently ranged from 4 ft to 7ft:smallbiggrin:)