PDA

View Full Version : Sage Advice Collection

Tetsubo 57
2010-10-13, 08:08 AM
http://jgrimbert.free.fr/add2/advice/?order=id&debut=0

Starbuck_II
2010-10-13, 08:44 AM
While I don't play AD&D, these are interesting.

Huh, nerfing monks even back than (giving them wrong table for attacks).

"The mules are not strong enough to carry what a war horse is supposed to carry."
Mules are weaker than Warhorses.

"Good and the process of law must be followed. Everything a paladin does must obey laws of good and thereby insure that all are treated fairly and just."
Paladins = deputies?

"Lycanthropy is not a disease, but it is often called one. To become a lycanthrope you must contract it like a disease even though it is a curse. If it were a real disease, a Remove Curse would not work on it, and a Cure Disease would not have a three-day time limit on it. Lycanthropy is very complicated, and paladins are not exempt from it. Paladins already have it pretty good; we can’t let them have everything rosy. "
Lycanthrophe wasn't a disease back than?

"He would cast it as though he were a 9th-level Magic- User. I don’t agree with this, but I am informed that it is correct. I still think they should cast spells as a 1st-level Magic-User. "
So while Pally/Rangers get spells late: they cast at correct caster.
That seems bette than 3.5 version.

"Although the Players Handbook does not include them in the description of the Raise Dead spell, may elves and half-orcs be raised from the dead?

No, they cannot. They do not have souls, and therefore a wish must be used to bring them back. "

Elves Do Not have Souls. :smalltongue:

"The act of killing a victim without knowing if he/she is truly an enemy (in other words, killing a complete stranger without knowing if he/she presents a threat) is a chaotic act. The act of killing an opponent with the knowledge that there is some other way to overcome him/her is an evil act. It would seem permissible for the Lawful Neutral Monk (or any other similarly aligned being) to attack a known enemy from the back, when circumstances make it necessary to kill that foe. "

Surprise attacks = Chaotic evil?

"The “clean” slaying of helpless opponents is acceptable, if those opponents had previously presented a challenge to the character and his party and had attempted to harm the chaotic good character. The act of back stabbing by a chaotic good character is acceptable when it is performed on an enemy of the character and his party — but turning on other party members in the middle of an adventure is not a good act. "

Wait, didn't you just say surprise - Chaotic evil ?
But Coup de Grac = isn't aligned at least.

"Reincarnation is handled the same way whether the effects are due to the druid spell Reincarnate or the magic-user spell Reincarnation. If the form of the incarnation is a creature type that can be a player-character race, then the character must be generated from scratch, just as if it were a new character. The description of the druid spell in the Players Handbook specifies that “If an elf, gnome or human is indicated (by the dice roll), the character must be created.” The reason those three races are mentioned specifically is that those are the only three player-character races on the list of creature types possible with the druid spell. However, the list of creature types given under the magic-user spell also includes dwarves, half-elves, halflings, and half-orcs — all the other races a normal player character is allowed to choose from. And there is a slim chance for any of those incarnations to be the result of a druid spell, too, if the roll on that table results in reference to the M-U reincarnation table. "
Wow, back than you had to redo your entire character sheet if reincarnated?

dsmiles
2010-10-13, 08:52 AM
"Although the Players Handbook does not include them in the description of the Raise Dead spell, may elves and half-orcs be raised from the dead?

No, they cannot. They do not have souls, and therefore a wish must be used to bring them back. "

Elves Do Not have Souls. :smalltongue:
Nope, which is why they couldn't become undead until 2e.

"Reincarnation is handled the same way whether the effects are due to the druid spell Reincarnate or the magic-user spell Reincarnation. If the form of the incarnation is a creature type that can be a player-character race, then the character must be generated from scratch, just as if it were a new character. The description of the druid spell in the Players Handbook specifies that “If an elf, gnome or human is indicated (by the dice roll), the character must be created.” The reason those three races are mentioned specifically is that those are the only three player-character races on the list of creature types possible with the druid spell. However, the list of creature types given under the magic-user spell also includes dwarves, half-elves, halflings, and half-orcs — all the other races a normal player character is allowed to choose from. And there is a slim chance for any of those incarnations to be the result of a druid spell, too, if the roll on that table results in reference to the M-U reincarnation table. "
Wow, back than you had to redo your entire character sheet if reincarnated?
This was always the most fun part of reincarnation for me. (Except for coming back as a badger, of course.)

Matthew
2010-10-13, 09:21 AM
Yeah, this is one of my favourite AD&D internet resources. Unfortunately it only goes up to about issue #120 or so, possibly because that was the time that TSR and Gygax parted company. Of course, many of the answers given were apparently disagreed with by the designers even at the time, and others seem odd to say the least. If I recall correctly, there are a few letters in Dragon where Gygax expresses his disagreement. I have been compiling a list of other entries for TSR era Dragon over at Dragonsfoot: Sage Advice (http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=41065).