PDA

View Full Version : Toon: good bad or mediocre?

Forbiddenwar
2010-10-13, 10:30 AM
Anyone play the RPG "Toon"?
If so, was it enjoyable? Do you recommend it to others?

Lapak
2010-10-13, 10:38 AM
For its intended purpose, it's excellent: the mechanics allow you to model cartoons well enough to feel right, but loosely enough that you're not hemmed in.

For anything else, less so. The looseness of the rules leave them open to abuse, and the nature of the game means that trying to take it too seriously creates problems.

Tiki Snakes
2010-10-13, 10:43 AM
Yeah, the above pretty much nailed it.

As long as you approach it right, it's pretty hard to fault. If you are taking things a little too seriously though, you'd be better off with pretty much any other game.

Kurald Galain
2010-10-13, 10:45 AM
It is hilarious for an hour or two, and tends to get boring after that. I'd recommend playing it, but not often.

Thefurmonger
2010-10-13, 10:49 AM
As long as you approach it right, it's pretty hard to fault. If you are taking things a little too seriously though, you'd be better off with pretty much any other game.

^This, Just this

Tengu_temp
2010-10-13, 11:50 AM
It is hilarious for an hour or two, and tends to get boring after that. I'd recommend playing it, but not often.

This seems to be the truth with all humorous games. A game that focuses entirely on humour, without any drama, is good for a short one-shot, but play it for longer and everyone loses interest, because they're running out of jokes and there's nothing else to keep them in the game.

Lapak
2010-10-13, 11:59 AM
This seems to be the truth with all humorous games. A game that focuses entirely on humour, without any drama, is good for a short one-shot, but play it for longer and everyone loses interest, because they're running out of jokes and there's nothing else to keep them in the game.There's a reason some of the best, most enduring cartoons were short features 5 minutes long or less.

Kurald Galain
2010-10-13, 12:00 PM
This seems to be the truth with all humorous games. A game that focuses entirely on humour, without any drama, is good for a short one-shot, but play it for longer and everyone loses interest, because they're running out of jokes and there's nothing else to keep them in the game.

True, but Paranoia can be kept interesting much longer than Toon, in my experience.

dsmiles
2010-10-13, 12:06 PM
True, but Paranoia can be kept interesting much longer than Toon, in my experience.

Wait.
What?
Paranoia is supposed to be funny?
Here I thought it was a dark and gritty game about opressive, totalitarian dictatorships. :smallwink:

ericgrau
2010-10-13, 12:54 PM
Those terms are treasonous, citizen, report dutifully for your brain scrub.

TheEmerged
2010-10-13, 06:47 PM
Insert quotes to previous posts.

Insert agreement with points about being excellent for its intended purposes but definitely for short-term sessions instead of full campaigns.

Insert note about being a surprisingly effective tool for introducing non-gamers to how pencil-n-paper RPG's work and dispelling common stereotypes.

Insert non-treasonous Paranoia reference here.

dsmiles
2010-10-13, 06:50 PM
Insert quotes to previous posts.

Insert agreement with points about being excellent for its intended purposes but definitely for short-term sessions instead of full campaigns.

Insert note about being a surprisingly effective tool for introducing non-gamers to how pencil-n-paper RPG's work and dispelling common stereotypes.

Insert non-treasonous Paranoia reference here.

You forgot to insert the witty repartee. I'm disappointed. :smalltongue:

Maxios
2010-10-13, 06:53 PM
I played Toon before, and I thought it was a very fun game.

Sindri
2010-10-13, 08:34 PM
It's made of pure, concentrated win if you have an Animator who doesn't take things seriously, ignore any rules that are a)inconvenient or b)you can't remember, and everyone roleplays. A plot might help, but is by no means required (and will typically be ignored if you do it right).

Kurald Galain
2010-10-14, 03:56 AM
It's made of pure, concentrated win if you have an Animator who doesn't take things seriously, ignore any rules that are a)inconvenient or b)you can't remember, and everyone roleplays. A plot might help, but is by no means required (and will typically be ignored if you do it right).

Speaking of which, I love the rule that when you run off a cliff, you can make an intelligence check, and if you fail you can keep running.

Khatoblepas
2010-10-14, 04:04 AM
I love Toon. It's brilliant for modelling cartoons. Not so good for anything else, though.

I'd like to run a Who Framed Roger Rabbit style game with it, though. Being a toon would be mitigated by the fact that well, you're a cartoon, and you're easily distracted by genre savvy people. I wouldn't know what rules to use to run humans, though, or less cartoony cartoons.

Ravens_cry
2010-10-14, 04:31 AM
Toon is one of those games that are on my list of "I want to play that someday." Others include Call of Cthulhu and, yes, Paranoia. I love the old Looney Tunes, the Tex Avery shorts, even the ol' rubber hose Popeye and Betty Boop cartoons are good for a psychedelic laugh.