PDA

View Full Version : Certain types of moves

zyborg
2010-10-13, 11:37 AM
I was wondering if D&D 3.5 or 4e have anything like these...

*An ability allowing you to continue making certain actions while disabled/dying, at some kind of great cost

*An ability that auto-counters failed Attacks of Opportunity against the player

*Something allowing you to use Strength instead of dexterity or the other way around...

Starbuck_II
2010-10-13, 11:39 AM

*An ability allowing you to continue making certain actions while disabled/dying, at some kind of great cost

*Something allowing you to use Strength instead of dexterity or the other way around...

#1 Magic of incarnum has soulmelds for that.

dsmiles
2010-10-13, 11:40 AM

1. Diehard feat?
2. ?
3. Please be more specific. For attacking there is Weapon Finesse and finessable weapons (as the primary example). I believe SS and MH had more stat-swap feats. ToB probably does, too, but my experience there is limited.

aeauseth
2010-10-13, 11:42 AM
An ability allowing you to continue making certain actions while disabled/dying, at some kind of great cost

Tome of Battle has a tactical feat called Faith Unswerving. One of the abilities is "One Last Strike", you get an immediate attack when you hit 0 HP.

zyborg
2010-10-13, 11:49 AM
Ah, cool. Diehard sounds about right for #1. And #3, I don't think I need help with that anymore...

AS for number 2... what I mean is, if you move away from an opponent, and they use their Attack of Opportunity and fail, is there a feat that allows a counterattack?

Snake-Aes
2010-10-13, 12:02 PM
defensive throw gives you an AoO against your dodge target if it misses an AoO against you.

Prime32
2010-10-13, 12:04 PM
Karmic Strike and Robilar's Gambit handle the AoO stuff.

Snake-Aes
2010-10-13, 12:06 PM
Karmic Strike and Robilar's Gambit handle the AoO stuff.

Robilar doesn't counter AoOs. It makes people who attack you provoke AoOs.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-10-13, 12:07 PM
Not sure why you asked about both 3.5 and 4 but...

Several 4E powers either trigger when you hit 0 HP and keep you going (see the Barbarian Utilities in particular) including one (IIRC 10th Level) which allows you to keep functioning at the cost of 5 HP / turn, even when you drop below 0 HP.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking to do here. 4E doesn't let you take Immediate Actions on your own turn, so I doubt there's anything that gives you a free attack when someone fails an OA against you. That said, there may be Free or No Action powers which do.

Using STR to do what? :smallconfused:

EDIT: OK, now I'm intrigued. Why exactly did you ask these particular questions?

Greenish
2010-10-13, 12:07 PM
Robilar doesn't counter AoOs. It makes people who attack you provoke AoOs.So if someone makes AoO against you, you get an AoO against them? Sounds good enough.

Duke of URL
2010-10-13, 12:09 PM
So if someone makes AoO against you, you get an AoO against them? Sounds good enough.

And if they have it too, you can trade whacks at each other until someone runs out of AoOs for the round.

dsmiles
2010-10-13, 12:10 PM
defensive throw gives you an AoO against your dodge target if it misses an AoO against you.

I love defensive throw.

Eldariel
2010-10-13, 12:12 PM

Elusive Target [CWar] gives you a Trip-attempt against opponent who fails an AoO on you. Note that unlike the other uses of the feat, this doesn't have to be against your Dodge-target. Which is excellent. The feat rocks in general.

zyborg
2010-10-13, 12:13 PM
I think you can probably see what type of character I'm trying to come up with... :P

Lhurgyof
2010-10-13, 12:18 PM
The level 20 knight ability lets you continue going even if your hit points go below -10.

Spiryt
2010-10-13, 12:21 PM
Something allowing you to use Strength instead of dexterity or the other way around

I think there is Brutal Throw feat somewhere (or something like that) that allows you to throw stuff using Str modifier to attack roll, instead of Dex.

dsmiles
2010-10-13, 12:23 PM
I think there is Brutal Throw feat somewhere (or something like that) that allows you to throw stuff using Str modifier to attack roll, instead of Dex.

I remember that feat, but I don't remember the exact name, either.

zyborg
2010-10-13, 12:25 PM

That's kinda what I was looking for...

Oracle_Hunter
2010-10-13, 12:27 PM
I think you can probably see what type of character I'm trying to come up with... :P
But why ask for both 3.5 and 4E? :smallconfused:

Greenish
2010-10-13, 12:29 PM
I think there is Brutal Throw feat somewhere (or something like that) that allows you to throw stuff using Str modifier to attack roll, instead of Dex.Complete Adventurer.

zyborg
2010-10-13, 12:30 PM
I'm trying to learn both... 4 is the one I have, 3.5 is the one that a lot of people seem to like... and I'm trying to get moves for both games...

Oracle_Hunter
2010-10-13, 12:48 PM
I'm trying to learn both... 4 is the one I have, 3.5 is the one that a lot of people seem to like... and I'm trying to get moves for both games...
Ah.

So... if you want counterattackers, Defenders are a good place to start - they have a lot of Immediate powers. Rogues also have a couple powers that trigger on OAs - such as "Move a bunch. Anyone who could take an OA at you instead attacks an adjacent enemy."

Barbarians might provide the best fusion of #1 & #2 - they have a lot of "I'm not dying now" powers and several "hit me and I'll hit you" ones as well.

aeauseth
2010-10-13, 01:17 PM
The level 20 knight ability lets you continue going even if your hit points go below -10.

Immortal Fortitude: Stance —You cannot die due to hit point damage. Available to a level 15 Crusader.

Eldariel
2010-10-13, 01:37 PM
Immortal Fortitude: Stance —You cannot die due to hit point damage. Available to a level 15 Crusader.

Frenzied Berserker's Deathless Frenzy works in the same vein. And every single invulnerability spell combination ever.

Prime32
2010-10-13, 02:36 PM
Immortal Fortitude: Stance —You cannot die due to hit point damage. Available to a level 15 Crusader.If this makes anyone freak out, unlike most stances you can only use it for a limited time (IIRC the more damage you take the harder it is to maintain).

Eldariel
2010-10-13, 02:37 PM
If this makes anyone freak out, unlike most stances you can only use it for a limited time (IIRC the more damage you take the harder it is to maintain).

Your negative HP total determines the Fort Save DC to stay alive. And after 3 uses, it's deactivated. I do like it with Counter Stance and Stance of Alacrity and Double Stance tho :smallamused: Heck, you can toss stances around like crazy with that combination and get Aura of Perfect Order up there too to take 11 when necessary.

zyborg
2010-10-18, 10:13 PM
Thanks for all of this. Now... I have two (or) more requests:

1) A move that does auto-damage to those who fail an attack of opportunity on a 'moving' character by a certain amount (moving as in having moved triggered the AoO)

2) Something that increases AC when running and not using a main action

2.5+) Basically, make a character that has momentum advantages. (can't think of any others, other than perhaps that makes things act like you are a size larger when charging or something crazy like that...)

I'm trying to come up with a Juggernaut 'pseudoclass'...

Psyren
2010-10-18, 10:29 PM
1) Autohypnosis lets you act while disabled.

2) Monk of the Enabled Hand (DrgCmp) can auto-counter attacks. Other than that you will probably need things that grant you more AoO's than you normally get.

3) Use Str for what?

4) Dungeoncrasher Fighter fits a "Juggernaut" concept quite well. Scouts also benefit from moving but aren't quite as smashy.

zyborg
2010-10-18, 10:39 PM
1) Autohypnosis lets you act while disabled.

2) Monk of the Enabled Hand (DrgCmp) can auto-counter attacks. Other than that you will probably need things that grant you more AoO's than you normally get.

3) Use Str for what?

4) Dungeoncrasher Fighter fits a "Juggernaut" concept quite well. Scouts also benefit from moving but aren't quite as smashy.

Dungeoncrasher Fighter? Any place that I could find that?

PopcornMage
2010-10-18, 10:44 PM

Besides those already mentioned I think there's some Barbarian rage that does this too.

All sorts of reactionary abilities exist.

In 4e, the last is pretty much the concept of the various use the better of two abilities. And I'm sure for any given ability, there's a mechanical equivalent that uses another attribute.

Psyren
2010-10-18, 10:48 PM
Dungeoncrasher Fighter? Any place that I could find that?

It's a fighter ACF in Dungeonscape. It makes fighters do over 9000 significant damage if they ram an enemy into an obstacle (e.g. a wall) while charging. They can also blitz through traps and doors more easily - perfect for a juggernaut type.

It's probably the only real reason to go Fighter 6 anymore.

Person_Man
2010-10-19, 11:33 AM
In 3.5 D&D:

1) Blood Talons or Rageclaws soulmelds. You can take 1 level of Totemist, or take the Shape Soulmeld feat. (Note that Shape Soulmeld has no feat pre-reqs, whereas the Diehard feat requires the mostly useless Endurance. There's also the Renewal (Player's Guide to Faerun p90) Cleric domain. If your hit points falls below 0, but are still more than –10, you gain 1d8 + Charisma hit points. This effect happens automatically once per day.

2) Robilar's Gambit (Player's Handbook II) gives you an attack of opportunity whenever an enemy attacks you. Karmic Strike (Complete Warrior) gives you a free attack of opportunity whenever an enemy hits you. (Karmic Strike has a lower BAB requirement, and needs the mostly useless Dodge as a prereq). Shield of the Severed Hand (Complete Divine pg 102 or MIC) gives you a free Bull Rush against an enemy after any melee attack that misses you under certain conditions. Each occurs immediately after the triggering attack, including attacks of opportunity.

3) X stat to Y bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732).

Questions?

zyborg
2010-10-19, 01:00 PM
Thanks, guys. THe information is helpful.