PDA

View Full Version : Forge Ring 3.5 and bonus ring slot

Tharck
2010-10-13, 03:29 PM
What is the feat, and source, that allows for a bonus ring slot if you took the Forge Ring feat?

Elfin
2010-10-13, 03:32 PM
No need to take a feat. Just buy a Hand of Glory; gives you an extra ring slot and some other abilities, all for around 8000gp.

Chess435
2010-10-13, 03:37 PM
The feat is Extra Rings. I believe it's from Eberron. I usually ban it as a DM because it lets you wear 4 rings instead of 2.

Tharck
2010-10-13, 03:42 PM
One im thinking of is just 1 extra ring slot, and a non-epic feat. Thanks for the item suggestion, but im really looking for the feat.

HunterOfJello
2010-10-13, 03:51 PM
Extra Rings [Item Creation] - You may benefit from up to two magical ring on each hand, to a total of 4 rings.

Requirements: Forge Ring
Caster level 12th

~

The feat has harsh requirements, but good benefits. I checked the d20 Index Feat List (http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Feats.pdf) for any other feat that mentions extra rings and found none.

herrhauptmann
2010-10-13, 04:31 PM
What is the feat, and source, that allows for a bonus ring slot if you took the Forge Ring feat?

Is your DM not allowing stacking rules for enchantments?
You could try asking the DM if it's okay to wear multiple rings, just choose which two are active at a given time, and of course probably state which two are your defaults. So long as the ring doesn't specify that you need to have it on for an entire day before using it, that shouldn't be a problem.
I did use that method once for a dwarven tank, trying to remember which rings I had. Sustenance, one for movement skills (swimming, climbing, jumping), and I forget what the third was, maybe one that gave me an extra language. I'd keep the language ring inactive unless I heard someone speaking to me in that language, then swap it out with my movement ring.
DM declared (understandably) that I'd lose the translation of the first few words with that method. Of course, I was out of luck if the first words were "That's him, get him!"

Cieyrin
2010-10-13, 05:20 PM
Of course, I was out of luck if the first words were "That's him, get him!"

You'd probably get the gist of it fairly shortly, I'd imagine.:smallwink:

As for other sources of extra rings, the Hand of Glory is already mentioned but there's also the Ringblade in Arms and Equipement that lets you be affected by the ring you slip on the grip. Make the 'blade Eager so you can always have it available.

Feat-wise, there's a non-epic Extra Item feat in Savage Species, though that requires that you physically have an additional appendage to put it onto, so an extra hand, in this case. The issue becomes getting that extra hand permanently, which may vary significantly in ease of gaining and is probably not what you're looking for.

Jarian
2010-10-13, 05:29 PM
The Book of Erotic Fantasy has rules for an extra... ahem... appendage... that you can slip a ring on.

You know, if all the reasonable suggestions fail first. :smalltongue:

dsmiles
2010-10-13, 07:03 PM
You could try asking the DM if it's okay to wear multiple rings, just choose which two are active at a given time, and of course probably state which two are your defaults. So long as the ring doesn't specify that you need to have it on for an entire day before using it, that shouldn't be a problem.

This is, coincidentally, exactly how I handle players with more than two rings and no hand of glory.

J.Gellert
2010-10-13, 07:07 PM
Wouldn't it be a better idea to make the item "slotless"? Gold comes and goes, feats are valuable...

dsmiles
2010-10-13, 07:08 PM
Wouldn't it be a better idea to make the item "slotless"? Gold comes and goes, feats are valuable...

Maybe an earring, or other piercing?

Zeofar
2010-10-13, 07:09 PM
The Book of Erotic Fantasy has rules for an extra... ahem... appendage... that you can slip a ring on.

You know, if all the reasonable suggestions fail first. :smalltongue:

Hand of glory... Now I know that Wizards of the Coast has been sneaking dirty jokes into the game. You've ruined D&D for me.

Great, that makes so much more sense. I thought that I had gone completely insane for a minute.

Fouredged Sword
2010-10-13, 07:12 PM
Play a four armed race if that feat states directly "2 rings per hand"
Use 8 rings
profit?

dsmiles
2010-10-13, 07:15 PM
Hand of glory... Now I know that Wizards of the Coast has been sneaking dirty jokes into the game. You've ruined D&D for me.

Great, that makes so much more sense. I thought that I had gone completely insane for a minute.

No. Not WotC.
http://www.iwozhere.com/SRD/images/50103.jpg
Century Worm. MM2 or FF, IIRC.
Never.

Zeofar
2010-10-13, 07:18 PM
No. Not WotC.
Never.

GAGBARFGAG.

And it is heart shaped...

dsmiles
2010-10-13, 07:24 PM
GAGBARFGAG.

And it is heart shaped...

And you'll never be able to unsee that...:smalltongue:

Zhalath
2010-10-13, 08:01 PM
Seen the century worm. Now think about all the aberrations with tentacles. Fun!

Can you wear rings on your toes? I never saw anywhere that you can;t!

Urpriest
2010-10-13, 08:34 PM

Actually, there is mythological precedent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_of_glory).

Elfin
2010-10-13, 09:09 PM
No. Not WotC.
Never.

:smalleek:
:smallyuk:

I think I'll pass comment on that one.

herrhauptmann
2010-10-13, 10:46 PM
Actually, there is mythological precedent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_of_glory).

For a second, I thought you were going to offer a reference to the century worm...

Zhalath, never saw a reason to not wear a magic ring on your toe. At the very least, it's useful for a chance to hide it from the guards or prevent some thief from pinching it.

RA Salvatore actually wrote a story where some assassin wore a ring of regeneration his toe. It was highly useful since the assassin used a magic artifact to swap bodies with his target, and somehow beat them to death, regenerate his body, and then take his body back again.
Looking back, it seemed to be a really wierd way to go about murdering someone.

Zeofar
2010-10-13, 11:03 PM

Wait, what? I know what what a Hand of Glory is. I was referring to a potentially unfortunate interpretation of the phrase.

That said, it seems like this isn't heading anywhere helpful to the OP. Soooooo... yeah.

Hague
2010-10-15, 12:07 AM
Bah, I let characters stack all the gear they want. I just make it so that when you go over in your slots, items that go over your standard number of slots are considered "unattended" and can be targeted with effects and take damage from area spells. Destroying player wealth tends to get power issues out of the way real quick.

Tharck
2010-10-15, 10:06 AM
Thanks guys. Honestly I just wanted to know the name of the feat and its source for no other reason than more justification for taking Forge Ring.

Urpriest
2010-10-15, 02:15 PM
Wait, what? I know what what a Hand of Glory is. I was referring to a potentially unfortunate interpretation of the phrase.

That said, it seems like this isn't heading anywhere helpful to the OP. Soooooo... yeah.

Ok, no offense. Many D&D players seem oblivious to the legends behind the names of various things, glad you know your stuff.

Esser-Z
2010-10-15, 03:02 PM
Regarding... body locations, as a DM I enforce slot type and limit, but I don't force an item to necessarily be worn in a specific slot. You can only benefit from two rings, but wear them wherever.

herrhauptmann
2010-10-15, 03:43 PM
Regarding... body locations, as a DM I enforce slot type and limit, but I don't force an item to necessarily be worn in a specific slot. You can only benefit from two rings, but wear them wherever.

You are referring to a tongue-ring, right? Or on the toes? God I hope so

mangosta71
2010-10-15, 04:18 PM
Play a four armed race if that feat states directly "2 rings per hand"
Use 8 rings
profit?

It says 2 per hand, to a total of 4. So even if you had 4 arms, you could still only gain the benefits of 4 rings with it, just like you can only get the benefits from 2 without it.

Cieyrin
2010-10-15, 05:30 PM
It says 2 per hand, to a total of 4. So even if you had 4 arms, you could still only gain the benefits of 4 rings with it, just like you can only get the benefits from 2 without it.

Without magical assistance from either the Hand or 'blade but yes.

herrhauptmann
2010-10-16, 12:06 AM
Without magical assistance from either the Hand or 'blade but yes.

Pretty sure the blade with a ring in the hilt prevents you from using a ring on that hand.

FelixG
2010-10-16, 05:49 AM
Toe rings, brilliant!

But i am also fond of the un-slotted items. Works even better if you have them implanted by a surgeon so that they cant be taken away by a sadistic GM. Works really well with an anti magic field item or some kind of teleport.

dsmiles
2010-10-16, 06:47 AM
BoVD had an unslotted 'ring'. The Tongue Studs of Hell Breath. Tongue ring.

Personally, I use an earring slot (which you can get the benefits of a set of earrings by only wearing one, not everybody wears two earrings), and a 'piercing' slot (which can technically hold another set of earrings, or any other of the 'piercing' line of items I have developed over the years).

Gadora
2010-10-16, 05:00 PM
Pretty sure the blade with a ring in the hilt prevents you from using a ring on that hand.

While holding the ringsword, the wielder gains the benefit of the ring held on its hilt without compromising her ability to wear a magic ring on each hand.

I think I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.

mangosta71
2010-10-16, 07:28 PM
The difficulty with allowing piercings with functional rings is that it could be abused very easily. Magical tongue rings, labret studs, nipple rings, navel rings, nose rings, eyebrow rings... where do you draw the line?

flabort
2010-10-16, 09:49 PM
at prince's wands. I recomend you never look them up.

You looked it up, didn't you? Now you will never un-see that. Shame on you.

FelixG
2010-10-17, 12:13 AM
The difficulty with allowing piercings with functional rings is that it could be abused very easily. Magical tongue rings, labret studs, nipple rings, navel rings, nose rings, eyebrow rings... where do you draw the line?

Where they run out of money or where the bonuses cant stack any longer?

herrhauptmann
2010-10-17, 01:56 AM
I think I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.

Like I said, 'pretty sure'. But thanks for the page number too.

Dr.Epic
2010-10-17, 02:05 AM
I actually had an idea for a prestige class that would allow you to add and benefit from more magical rings, as well as advance in caster levels. I never did get around to designing it and the idea just sort of died.

FelixG
2010-10-17, 04:52 AM
I actually had an idea for a prestige class that would allow you to add and benefit from more magical rings, as well as advance in caster levels. I never did get around to designing it and the idea just sort of died.

Cancer Bling Mage? :smallwink:

mangosta71
2010-10-17, 11:28 AM
You looked it up, didn't you?

I did not and will not, but seeing as how I know what a "Prince Albert" is, I think I've got a good idea. I specifically left that one off the list for a reason.

Zhalath
2010-10-17, 04:18 PM

I think I'd draw the line at Large Hunk Of Metal Through Chest.

Then again, a Large Hunk Of Metal Through Chest of Invisibility might be fun.

Gadora
2010-10-17, 04:36 PM
I think I'd draw the line at Large Hunk Of Metal Through Chest.

Then again, a Large Hunk Of Metal Through Chest of Invisibility might be fun.

So no hemalurgy then?

Cieyrin
2010-10-18, 02:07 PM
But i am also fond of the un-slotted items. Works even better if you have them implanted by a surgeon so that they cant be taken away by a sadistic GM. Works really well with an anti magic field item or some kind of teleport.

At that point, you may as well just work with grafts, since the only decapitating/limb removing abilities in game are vorpal weapons and a couple of obscure monsters, which makes them a fine investment, provided you don't mind having a demon's heart replacing your own or a golem foot.