PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic: the Gathering [D&D 3.5 Feats] (PEACH)

Fable Wright
2010-10-13, 04:12 PM
Splice Spell [Metamagic]
Prerequisite: Any other metamagic feat
Benefit: You may prepare any spell as a component spell*. Whenever you cast a spell, you may choose to 'Splice' that spell. When you do, add the spell level of any number of component spells that you have prepared to the cast spell (hereafter referred to as the base spell)'s level. You must expend a spell slot of equal or greater level than the modified level instead of the base spell. If you do, you cast the base spell, and every component spell whose spell level was added to the base spell's spell level. This feat may not be affected by practiced metamagic or other feats that would reduce the component or spliced spell's spell level.

*(Even if you spontaneously cast spells, immediately after you recover your spell slots for the day, you may meditate for 10 minutes and lose any number of spell slots. For each spell slot used expended this way, you may prepare a spell that you know of equal or lower level to the sacrificed spell slot.)

Cascade Spell [Metamagic]
Prerequisite: Any other metamagic feat
Benefit: You may prepare cascaded spells.
A cascaded spell, when cast, also has the effects of one spell of a level lower than the unmodified spell's level. This spell may be chosen at the time of the spell's casting.
A cascaded spell uses up a spell slot three levels higher than the spell’s actual level.

Replicate Power [Metapsionic]
Benefit: You may manifest replicated powers.
You must expend your psionic focus to use this feat.
When you manifest a replicated spell, you may augment it with a number of power points equal to the replicated power's power point cost. If you do, copy the replicated power for each time you pay the replicated power's cost.

Using this feat increases the power point cost of the power, and all replications of the power, by 2. The power’s total cost cannot exceed your manifester level.

Flash Spell [Metamagic]
Benefit You may cast flash spells.
Casting a flash spell is an immediate action that may not be cast on your turn. A spell whose casting time is more than 1 full round action cannot be cast as a flash spell. A flash spell uses up a spell slot five levels higher than the spell’s actual level. Casting a flash spell doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity.

Special
This feat can be applied to any spell cast spontaneously (including sorcerer spells, bard spells, and cleric or druid spells cast spontaneously), even though applying a metamagic feat to a spontaneously cast spell normally automatically increases the casting time to a full-round action.

Transmute Spell [Metamagic]
Prerequisite: You must cast prepared spells.
Benefit: You may prepare transmutable spells.
When you prepare a transmutable spell, at any time thereafter, you may choose to take a standard action to lose the transmutable spell slot. If you do, you may immediately prepare one spell of a level equal to or less than the transmutated spell's level. A transmuted spell uses up a spell level one higher than the spell's actual level.

As you can see, I'm trying to make a list of metamagic feats that mimic some spell mechanics found in Magic: the Gathering. Comments, critiques/criticisms (especially on balance issues), and new feats are greatly appreciated.

The Mentalist
2010-10-13, 04:47 PM
My biggest question is should the interrupt of an immediate (AKA I win init anyway) really be available? Being able to drop even low level battlefield control could break things hard. After reading that I couldn't see not preparing a Flash Grease.

Cascade and Splice are written very strangely to me, as far as I can tell

Splice:
Prepare "Spliced spells"
Cast another spell
Add levels together
Throw another spell away
??
Profit

Cascade I understand but why is it a random spell? Why not have a chosen lower level spell, it seems useless to me when random.

Replicate I LOVE! My only real question is do you pay the additional two points for each repeat. This is one I will be using.

I think that Transmute is really handy, I think the added flexibility is nice, although I think the level bump is enough (maybe a two level bump) instead of throwing out another spell (I get that's for discarding cards)

Fable Wright
2010-10-13, 05:09 PM
My biggest question is should the interrupt of an immediate (AKA I win init anyway) really be available? Being able to drop even low level battlefield control could break things hard. After reading that I couldn't see not preparing a Flash Grease.

Cascade and Splice are written very strangely to me, as far as I can tell

Splice:
Prepare "Spliced spells"
Cast another spell
Add levels together
Throw another spell away
??
Profit

Cascade I understand but why is it a random spell? Why not have a chosen lower level spell, it seems useless to me when random.

Replicate I LOVE! My only real question is do you pay the additional two points for each repeat. This is one I will be using.

I think that Transmute is really handy, I think the added flexibility is nice, although I think the level bump is enough (maybe a two level bump) instead of throwing out another spell (I get that's for discarding cards)

I see what you mean, but the thing is, is an immediate grease as a fourth level spell really that good? I guess I could make it so that you have to spend a swift action to ready the spell, or increase the spell level some more, though.

I can't really think of a good wording for Splice. What I want it to be is
Prepare 'component spell' (spell level +1) => Cast base spell => Expend spell slot (base spell + component spell) => Cast component spell and base spell at once, but I can't think of a good way to word it. Can you?

Cascade is random because it would be too powerful otherwise. Like the mechanic itself, it is completely random. However, I see your point... maybe just a random spell of 1d3 levels less? Because if it was any other spell... prepare a cascade spell, cascading into a second cascade spell, etc... and it might be alot more powerful than you realize.

Replicate was an extra 2 power points because of the fact that you were just using 2 or more powers in a turn. If you chose to replicate a first level power, you might wind up with a heck of alot of copies. I see what you mean, but using the same spell multiple times with no increase to casting time or spell level seems kind of powerful...

Transmute requires a third level spell slot because you're turning an 7th level spell (8th level after you prepare it) into an 8th level spell. I guess it could be lowered to a second level spell slot, but most of the powerful spells that would see play at higher levels are third level. Thus, third level spell slots to activate it.

Zaydos
2010-10-13, 05:19 PM
One note as written Transmute turns a 7th level spell prepared in an 8th level slot into another 7th level spell. Metamagic raises the level of the slot needed to use it, not the level of the spell itself (exception Heighten Spell). Personally I'd make it bump it up two (maybe just one) levels and turn it into another spell of the unmodified level without dumping another spell. A 3rd level slot really doesn't balance trading a 7th level spell for an 8th (look at Versatile Spellcaster which is a super awesome feat cause it can turn two 7th level slots into an 8th).

I'd second that Flash Spell is a little too awesome; an immediate grease is actually significantly better than a swift action one.

Split and Cascade look good although Cascade should specify whether it is based off of modified level or unmodified level (spell level means unmodified unless specified otherwise, though).

Replicate looks interesting but personally I find it a little weak since most psionic powers do better just to augment normally or don't self-stack.

The Mentalist
2010-10-13, 05:25 PM
I see what you mean, but the thing is, is an immediate grease as a fourth level spell really that good? I guess I could make it so that you have to spend a swift action to ready the spell, or increase the spell level some more, though.

In my opinion yes, that's a win button against several types of enemies.

I can't really think of a good wording for Splice. What I want it to be is
Prepare 'component spell' (spell level +1) => Cast base spell => Expend spell slot (base spell + component spell) => Cast component spell and base spell at once, but I can't think of a good way to word it. Can you?

Not off the top of my head, Ill give it some thought though.

You are giving up an additional spell though as a prepared caster?

Cascade is random because it would be too powerful otherwise. Like the mechanic itself, it is completely random. However, I see your point... maybe just a random spell of 1d3 levels less? Because if it was any other spell... prepare a cascade spell, cascading into a second cascade spell, etc... and it might be alot more powerful than you realize.

What about a specific spell of say, two or three levels less, it allows you to pick the spell (making it useful in my opinion) but it keeps you from cascading 9 spells from a ninth level slot. I can just see the secondary spell being useless in too many situations as a random spell.

Replicate was an extra 2 power points because of the fact that you were just using 2 or more powers in a turn. If you chose to replicate a first level power, you might wind up with a heck of alot of copies. I see what you mean, but using the same spell multiple times with no increase to casting time or spell level seems kind of powerful...

I get why it's the additional two points, it's unclear from your writing if you pay that per repeat or just the one time though.

Transmute requires a third level spell slot because you're turning an 7th level spell (8th level after you prepare it) into an 8th level spell. I guess it could be lowered to a second level spell slot, but most of the powerful spells that would see play at higher levels are third level. Thus, third level spell slots to activate it.

I read that as swapping it for a spell of the original level, so an 8th for a 7th. As an even swap it may need some penalty now that I think about it, as it makes a Wizard a spontaneous caster without it.

Fable Wright
2010-10-13, 05:38 PM
In my opinion yes, that's a win button against several types of enemies.

Alright, flash spell is now a 5 level increase.

Not off the top of my head, Ill give it some thought though.

You are giving up an additional spell though as a prepared caster?

Splice spell actually is not intended to force you to sacrifice the spell; if you have a component magic missile, and then you cast fireball, you only lose a fifth level spell slot. And then, later in the day, you can cast the fireball spell and the magic missile spell.

What about a specific spell of say, two or three levels less, it allows you to pick the spell (making it useful in my opinion) but it keeps you from cascading 9 spells from a ninth level slot. I can just see the secondary spell being useless in too many situations as a random spell.

Alright, I changed it so that it is a spell of a level less than the original cascaded spell's level. This way, it is different from Twin spell, but no less useful.

I get why it's the additional two points, it's unclear from your writing if you pay that per repeat or just the one time though.

Alright, specified that now.

@Zaydos: The power increase is to prevent a psion to force an opponent to make a ridiculous number of saves against things like Charm, psionic against a high-level foe; if you keep on spamming it , they will eventually roll a natural one.

I read that as swapping it for a spell of the original level, so an 8th for a 7th. As an even swap it may need some penalty now that I think about it, as it makes a Wizard a spontaneous caster without it.
Alright, I changed it to that. That way it makes more sense.

The Mentalist
2010-10-13, 05:45 PM
Alright, I think that clears all my issues up, I'll put my head to clearing up Splice spell as well.

Fizban
2010-10-14, 02:57 AM
Splice Spell [Metamagic]
This is really hard to read. Here's what I think you're trying to say: you may prepare a spell as a "spliceable" spell. Whenever you cast any spell, you can use a higher level spell slot than normal to also cast one or more of your spliceable spells at the same time. The slot required is of a level equal to the sum of the levels of all spells involved.

Way too good. You can cast as many spells as you have levels to divide, in whatever combination you want, and you still have most of them available after casting. It's like the perfect combination of Quicken and Twin Spell, and you get to choose every spell that goes into it. Compare to Arcane Fusion: fusion gives you two spells, one 4th and one 1st, and that's it. It's also sorcerer only, meaning the number of crazy combinations you can pull are extremely limited by your spells known. And it looks like the way you've written it, wizards can use it to spontaneously cast any spell using a higher level slot without losing the spell. This feat is mechanically superior to both your Cascade and Replicate feats, only is beaten out by immediate actions just because they interrupt other people's turns for most powerful feat here.

This is a bit better. In the end you're getting one effect 3 levels below the slot, and another 4 levels below the slot. It's better than Twin Spell in both cost and versatility. It's better than Quicken for setting up combos since you get two spells for one slot, and unlike Twin they can be different spells. It's worse than Quicken for combos, since both your effects are low level, instead of one high and one low if you both quickened and cast normally. A 5th level slot gets you a 1st and 2nd level spell, an 8th gets you a 5th and 4th. It's not blowing Arcane Fusion out of the water, which is good. Ultimately, I think it's very strong, but as long as the price isn't reduced I think it's okay. If you expect people to use metamagic reducers on it, the cost should be at least +4.

Replicate Power [Metapsionic]
This is getting better. It increases the cost of every copy you make, and the rules for psionics are really much better for this kind of thing since they're meant to mix and match costs. The splicing feat on the other hand, doesn't increase costs at all and lets you mix and match powers. If the splicing feat worked more like this it might be workable.

Flash Spell [Metamagic]
The only problem here is that it's an absolute must have feat for anyone. Even if sorcerers still had to take Rapid Metamagic to use it, they would every time, because immediate actions are that good. While I feel that +5 levels isn't a bad cost, it should probably be +6 in order to try and prevent some of the worst abuse. Thesis, Incantatrix, and Practical can give you a -3 cost without using the broken feat from Dragon magazine, allowing one to throw their chosen spell around as an immediate action for only a +2 cost if you start at +5.

This seems pretty cool. There are feats to do this kind of thing, but they're all ridiculously limited when you consider that wizards can in fact leave spell slots open to fill later when they know what they need. The only need for an ability like this is in-combat, and your feat hits them in two places: having to prepare weaker spells if they want to be able to transmute, and having to spend a standard action in combat to tutor up the new spell. I think this is probably the best of the lot.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-10-14, 04:48 AM
Good work - but I think you're in danger of making casters even more awesome than they already are, which is probably too awesome.

Splice, Cascade and Flash Spell all seem to break the action economy - you get more than one effect for the cost of one action, or you get an effect as an immediate action.

Removing the limitation of actions is only going to make casters more unbalanced.

jiriku
2010-10-14, 10:34 AM
These new feats create intriguing new possibilities. I like them muchly. You've improved them considerably in both clarity and balance since you first posted them, too -- they're getting pretty close to a finished form. My biggest concern about them is game balance. Easy access to metamagic reducers means that wizards can use these feats at relatively low level for relatively low cost. Many prestige classes reduce spell level adjustments or allow the character to avoid paying them entirely. This can be corrected pretty easily though, by adding entry barriers. Below are my recommendations.

Splice Spell: This feat is still difficult to understand. It looks like the component spells are not expended when cast, allowing wizards to spontaneously cast component spells using their other spell slots? Also, when used to cast low-level spells, this feat is hugely powerful. For example, you can splice two 1st-level spells from a 2nd-level slot, whereas Twinning a 1st-level spell requires a 5th-level slot. I'd recommend that you radically rework this feat, perhaps as suggested below.

Splice Spell [Metamagic]
You can splice several spells together and cast them all at once.
Prerequisites: Cascade Spell, Quicken Spell, Twin Spell, caster level 15th
Benefit: You may cast any spell as a component spell. Whenever you cast a component spell, you may choose to combine it with other component spells to cast them all at once as a single spliced spell. You may splice together a number of component spells equal to no more than one-fifth your caster level.

The casting time of the splice is equal to the longest casting time of the component spells, or one full-round action, whichever is more. If the splice is countered or disrupted while being cast, all of its component spells are likewise countered or disrupted. The splice may be countered by any effect which could counter any of its component spells.

Once the splice is cast, each component spell functions independently, as if they had all been cast separately.

A component spell uses up a spell slot five levels higher than normal.

Cascade Spell: This is pretty smartly done, but as Fizban mentioned is a little on the OP side. I'd also like to see it have more stringent prerequisites, since, again, it's reshaping the action economy and should therefore require significant investment. Also, you should specify just what can be cast.

When you cast a spell, you can use the leftover magical energy to mimic another spell you have available.
Prerequisite: Quicken spell, Twin Spell, caster level 9th
Benefit: You may prepare cascaded spells. A cascaded spell, when cast, also has the effects of one spell of a level lower than the unmodified spell's level. This spell may be chosen at the time of the spell's casting. If you can prepare spells, the spell chosen must be a spell that you currently have prepared. If you do not prepare spells, then the spell chosen must be one of your spells known.

A cascaded spell uses up a spell slot four levels higher than the spell’s actual level.

Flash Spell: This is still rather powerful for the level at which it can be gained, and the restriction on not casting it during your turn adds little. With slight changes (and increased prerequisites), it'll play quite well, though.

Flash Spell [Metamagic]
You can cast your spells with a moment's thought.
Prerequisite: Quicken Spell, Still Spell, caster level 15th
Benefit You may cast flash spells. Casting a flash spell is an immediate action. A spell whose casting time is more than 1 full round action cannot be cast as a flash spell. A flash spell uses up a spell slot six levels higher than the spell’s actual level. Much like casting a quickened spell, casting a flash spell doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity.
Special: This feat can be applied to any spell cast spontaneously (including sorcerer spells, bard spells, and cleric or druid spells cast spontaneously), even though applying a metamagic feat to a spontaneously cast spell normally automatically increases the casting time to a full-round action.

You can quickly discard a prepared spell and prepare another spell in its place.
Prerequisite: Ability to cast prepared spells.
Benefit: You may prepare transmutable spells. When you prepare a transmutable spell, at any time thereafter, you may choose to take a standard action to lose the transmutable spell without casting it. If you do, you may immediately prepare a new spell in that spell slot, filling it with one spell of a level equal to or less than the transmutated spell's normal level. If you prepare spells from a spellbook, prayerbook, or comparable source, you must have the new spell available on your person (for example, in your spellbook or on a scroll) in order to prepare it.

A transmuted spell uses up a spell level one higher than the spell's actual level.

Magicyop
2010-10-14, 11:36 AM
Think of the applications of flash spell:

Wizard 1: Fireba--
Wizard 2: Flash Energy Resistance(Fire)!
Wizard 1: Finger of Dea-
Wizard 2: Flash Dimension Door!
Wizard 1: Dominate Per-
Wizard 2: Flash Mind Blank!

Nonetheless, very cool. I like it.

gooddragon1
2010-10-14, 11:44 AM
For the flash spell, simply state that the adjustment in spell slot level cannot be reduced.

Also, perhaps make it so only personal spells may be flashed. Personally I'd like it if all spells could be flashed but it might help.

Zaydos
2010-10-14, 11:45 AM
Think of the applications of flash spell:

Wizard 1: Fireba--
Wizard 2: Flash Energy Resistance(Fire)!
Wizard 1: Finger of Dea-
Wizard 2: Flash Dimension Door!
Wizard 1: Dominate Per-
Wizard 2: Flash Mind Blank!

Nonetheless, very cool. I like it.

Of those three examples only one is that good. There's already Contingent Energy Resistance which can be cast with a lower level slot for the first, and Flash Mind Blank is a Lv 13 Spell and not a significant improvement over a 24 hour duration spell anyway.

Now some could be added:
Monster Char--
Wizard: Flash Grease (or Flash Solid Fog)
Sorcerer: Maw of Chaos
Wizard: Flash Baleful Transposition
Necromancer: Twinned Empowered Split Ray of Enfeeblement
Wizard: Flash Ray Deflection