PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Variant Human Paragon {Sublime}

AustontheGreat1
2010-10-13, 07:13 PM
Ok, I'm trying to fill out some levels in my swordsage and I've always been a fan of the human paragon.

Sublime Human
Hit Die: d8
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied|Stances Known

1st|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+2|Martial Adept|
1|
0|

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+0|
+3|Bonus Feat|
0|
1|

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+3|Ability Boost (+2)|
1|
0|
1[/table]
Class Skills: The Sublime Human chooses any ten skills to be class skills. One of the skills must be Martial Lore. Knowledge skills must be selected individually.

Class Features
Proficiencies: Sublime humans are proficient with all simple weapons and with light armor. In addition, a sublime human is proficient with any one martial weapon of his choice.

Maneuvers: At each odd numbered level, a sublime human gains an additional maneuver known from any discipline he had access to before taking the sublime human paragon class. He adds his full sublime human class levels to his initiator level to determine his total initiator level and highest level maneuvers known. At second level, the sublime human gains an additional maneuver readied per day.

Stances: At 3rd level, the sublime human learns a new stance from any discipline he has access to. He must meet a stances prerequisites to learn it.

Martial Adept: At 1st level, a sublime human can gains Martial Lore as an adaptive skill. This skill is treated as a class skill in all respects for all classes that character has levels in, both current and future.

Bonus Feat: At 2nd level, a sublime human may choose a bonus feat from the following list. The character must meet the feat's prerequisites normally.
Acrobatic, Agile, Athletic, Blade Meditation, Blind-Fight, Combat Reflexes, Diehard, Endurance, Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Ironheart, Lightning Reflexes, Quick Draw, Run, Stone Power, Tiger Blooded, Unnerving Calm, White Raven Defense
Ability Boost (Ex): At 3rd level, a sublime human increases one ability score of his choice by 2 points.

Not Finished

Mongoose87
2010-10-13, 07:28 PM
Might want to talk about maneuvers a little more. Ex. Initiator level, refresh mechanic.

Zeofar
2010-10-13, 07:32 PM
Well... looks pretty solid, but doesn't the fact that it is specifically only useful to and directly rated to Tome of Battle classes kinda negate the whole "human paragon" concept? I see that you're "not finished," but I'll chime in anyway, since I think this is relevant anyhow.

The only significant issues I see are this:

I'm not familiar with ToB AT ALL, but this is the only such class I've seen that decreases in maneuvers known and readied.

The next problem is simply the concept: This is the exactly same as a human paragon, except it has full BAB in exchange for a fixed feat list, a single requirement in skill choices, and a fixed progression of some class abilities, and a slightly gimped adaptive learning (arguably, the original Human Paragon should count in increasing IL and all that jazz when you consider that when Unearthed Arcana came out, they didn't know about ToB, so this may be worse in this respect for some classes). This doesn't seem that great.

Siosilvar
2010-10-13, 08:06 PM
I'm not familiar with ToB AT ALL, but this is the only such class I've seen that decreases in maneuvers known and readied.

All ToB PrCs list only the gained maneuvers known and readied. This is because they usually add to other classes' maneuvers; since you don't know how many you have, you can't say exactly how many there are.

Glimbur
2010-10-13, 08:38 PM
I actually made a bunch of variant Human Paragon classes for a contest a while back. Link in my sig. I tried to model their versatility by giving them a fighter bonus feat that they could change after 8 hours of rest. This is a little more ToB focused, but looks legit.

Zeofar
2010-10-13, 11:09 PM
All ToB PrCs list only the gained maneuvers known and readied. This is because they usually add to other classes' maneuvers; since you don't know how many you have, you can't say exactly how many there are.

There you go. This is what happens when you don't do your research, kids.