PDA

View Full Version : A good +2 Race(not template) for a Greek hero style campaign

Matamane
2010-10-13, 07:40 PM
The campaign gives +2 in free race, and +2 in free template. We are in a God of War campaign setting, and I am a half minotaur, is there a good +2 race that is good for a warrrior character that fits?

Chrono22
2010-10-13, 07:42 PM
Frost folk are pretty good.

Matamane
2010-10-13, 07:44 PM
any other suggestions?

Any +2 or +1 race is good.

Zaydos
2010-10-13, 07:48 PM
Goliath might be nice (depends upon how Powerful Build + Half Minotaur interact).

dsmiles
2010-10-13, 07:50 PM
I always liked the Half-Ogre.

Toliudar
2010-10-13, 07:51 PM
If your build can handle the racial hit dice, the centaur would be an obvious fit with a Greek-themed campaign.

Matamane
I like Goliath, why didn't I think of that before?

Carry as a huge sized creature, lol.

No racial hiit dice preferably

Minotaur over centaur IMO

Chrono22
Yeah goliath would be a pretty awesome combo with half minotaur.

realbombchu
2010-10-13, 08:01 PM
I'll second (or maybe third) the half-ogre. I use the one from races of destiny because it's more recent, but the Savage Species one only has a +1 L-Adjustment.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-13, 08:11 PM
I suggest giving a look to the shadow creature (LoM), it gives some nice abilties like shadow blend ( basically full concealment in any non-direct sunlight situation) and some abilities from a menu, from what I recall there were a +2 luck bonus to all saves, plane shift from or to the plane shadows, and other nifty stuffs.

Zaydos
2010-10-13, 08:14 PM
I'll second (or maybe third) the half-ogre. I use the one from races of destiny because it's more recent, but the Savage Species one only has a +1 L-Adjustment.

Problem with Half-Ogre race is he already has Half-Minotaur template free which doesn't increase his size if he's already large (like a half-ogre) so he actually would have worse Strength than as a Half-Minotaur Human.

HunterOfJello
2010-10-13, 08:17 PM
Half-Ogre from races of destiny is +2 LA (and only +1 LA in Savage Species).

Drow are very good since they get spell resistance. They might be less appropriate for a warrior type.

Crucians from Sandstorm would make an excellent warrior. +4 Str, +6 Con, -2 Dex, -2 Cha and +8 Natural armor. They're turtle-like humanoids (although they could be reflavored to be something else)

~

By the time you get to +2 LA on a race, you usually have racial hit die and the race won't be that great anyway.

You might want to consider a homebrew race or make a race on your own based on a Cyclops or something.

Fearan
2010-10-14, 02:16 AM
How about Karsite (ToM)? +2, and it lets the Greek hero say "sorry, but no" to magic users. There was not many fireballs in Greece, right?

kestrel404
2010-10-14, 04:52 AM
Well, if you're getting LA races for free, then there are a few good choices.

For TWF builds, there's the Diopsid - a four-armed bug-man race from Dragon Compendium who dual-wield two handed weapons (along with getting two-handed strength bonuses on both) and don't need to meet the dex requirements for the two-handed feats. They also get a glide speed and a few other misc bonuses, but they do poorly in medium or heavy armor. +2 con, -2 dex, -2 int, +1 LA. They'd make really awesome TWF swordsages, barbarians and non-int-based gishes.

The Dvati (same source) are great too - especially for Swordsage/Warblade builds. You get two bodies. Yeah, two bodies. So you're effectively two identical characters. Only problem is that they share HP, which sucks for a melee fighter.

Drow are very nice for gishing. Poison Dusk Lizardfolk get free poison use and decent abilities. Earth Mephlings have nice stats and Burrow. Crucian's have AWESOME stat boosts (and you can trade their +8 natural armor for a breath weapon or flight by making a Dragonborn Crucian).

Oh, and Feral Garguns have +1 LA AND 2 monstrous humanoid HD, but if you can count the HD in with the LA, for only 1 effective level loss they make great fighters (and the racial HD is effectively free HP and BAB for you).