PDA

View Full Version : the most unique weapon designs

marius\tobius
2010-10-13, 07:41 PM
what are some of the most creative frightening weapon designs you or your players have created

arguskos
2010-10-13, 07:45 PM
Thread full of pictures by a great weapon artist I made into 3.5 weaponry. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149336) Enjoy. I'm partial to the M.U.S. and the Spiked Axe personally.

dsmiles
2010-10-13, 07:48 PM
Like (A.) designing actual weapons, or (B.) creating magic weapons?

A. The Brass Man. (Not so much designed as imported from the Ninjas and Superspies Mystic China supplement.) 2-H bludgeoning weapon. 50 lb. 4d6 damage. Requires 18 STR to wield without -4 penalty. Description: A medium-sized brass statue of a man that you swing by the ankles.

B. Had a TN rogue running around sneak attacking things with a +4 Axiomatic Holy Greatsword of Unholy Anarchy (which, being TN, he took no negative levels to use).

Susano-wo
2010-10-13, 07:55 PM
B. Had a TN rogue running around sneak attacking things with a +4 Axiomatic Holy Greatsword of Unholy Anarchy (which, being TN, he took no negative levels to use).

But you can't but it doesn't but but but....gurgle... drool...:smalleek: :smallyuk: :smalltongue: :smallsigh:

Siosilvar
2010-10-13, 08:33 PM
But you can't but it doesn't but but but....gurgle... drool...:smalleek: :smallyuk: :smalltongue: :smallsigh:

Don't worry, a Lawful Good demon, Chaotic Good devil, or X Evil angel/archon/eladrin can craft it just fine.

...The Equalizer was my favorite artifact in Baldur's Gate II.

marius\tobius
2010-10-14, 01:08 PM
once one of my player created duel hand crossbows with the knock back and exit wound enchantments on top of poison

another made a quicksilver shapeshifting weapon but it didnt work out well

Noircat
2010-10-14, 01:27 PM
I homebrewed these for 4e, which I always wanted to try in a game.

River Pole - Superior
+2 prof 1d10 damage staff polearm Reach 2 two handed 8 lb. 5 gp

Weaponized 11 foot pole.

Bayonette - Martial
+2 prof 1d4 damage if mounted to a one-handed crossbow or 1d6 damage if mounted to a two-handed crossbow. Light Blade 2 lb. 15 gp Takes 5 minutes to add to or remove from a a weapon from the crossbow weapon group. Causes a -2 penalty to long ranged attacks.
If not installed on a weapon, it can be used as a dagger.

arguskos
2010-10-14, 03:42 PM
...The Equalizer was my favorite artifact in Baldur's Gate II.
Cause everyone loves the Equalizer! :smallbiggrin:

GoatBoy
2010-10-14, 03:58 PM
Gnomish F*ckblade

Exotic weapon, treated as greatsword for purposes of weapon focus and other feats.

As a move action, you can twist a dial to "optimize the weight distribution" of the weapon, gaining an additional +1 to damage rolls for every -4 penalty to attack rolls you have taken with the Power Attack feat.

Using the blade on an incorrect setting gives a -2 penalty on attack rolls and no damage bonus.

Originally intended for an all-bard campaign where the characters, rather than an adventuring party, were members of a heavy metal band, in search of the legendary force known as "THE METAL." My character ended up using a greataxe (which was also his guitar) but I liked the idea of a variable, machinelike weapon.

Tetsubo 57
2010-10-14, 04:50 PM
Thread full of pictures by a great weapon artist I made into 3.5 weaponry. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149336) Enjoy. I'm partial to the M.U.S. and the Spiked Axe personally.

Why thank you, arguskos. People are also welcome to visit my Deviant Art page.

dsmiles
2010-10-14, 05:45 PM
Don't worry, a Lawful Good demon, Chaotic Good devil, or X Evil angel/archon/eladrin can craft it just fine.

Or a TN Half-fiend/Half-celestial.

Thurbane
2010-10-14, 05:52 PM
I like Fragarach from the ToEE CRPG: not sure of exact bonuses, but it is a Holy Bastard Sword, that never misses. Also, allows an automatic AoO against any creature that hits you 1/round (or unlimited/round, if you are CG).

Obviously, wouldn't allow this in any game I run, but still pretty cool. I believe in the original ToEE module, it was a broad sword.

Sounds a bit like the Concordant Killer (MM4) - who, coincidentally, wields a anarchic, axiomatic, holy, unholy greatsword. :smalltongue:

dsmiles
2010-10-14, 06:02 PM
Sounds a bit like the Concordant Killer (MM4) - who, coincidentally, wields a anarchic, axiomatic, holy, unholy greatsword. :smalltongue:

Huh. When did MM4 come out? Before or after Libris Mortis? I remember that being the most recent book at the time of the +4 Axiomatic Holy Greatsword of Unholy Anarchy. (I keep using those particular words because those were the exact words the player used to describe the weapon he wanted to me.)

EDIT: Ooo...and broadswords. I was upset when they weren't included in 3e and then again in 4e core books. So I converted them both times.

Greenish
2010-10-14, 06:06 PM
EDIT: Ooo...and broadswords. I was upset when they weren't included in 3e and then again in 4e core books. So I converted them both times.What do the 3.5 stats for a broadsword look like?

Morph Bark
2010-10-14, 06:13 PM

+ Half-slaad/half-inevitable? :smallamused:

dsmiles
2010-10-14, 06:17 PM
What do the 3.5 stats for a broadsword look like?
Pretty much the same as any other edition. (In other words almost equal to a longsword.)
1H Martial, 2d4 dam (M), 6 lb, 19-20x2, slashing

+ Half-slaad/half-inevitable? :smallamused:

Four halves, IIRC, is two halves too many. :smalltongue:

Greenish
2010-10-14, 06:20 PM
Pretty much the same as any other edition. (In other words almost equal to a longsword.)
1H Martial, 2d4 dam (M), 6 lb, 19-20x2, slashing:smallconfused:

I fail to see the purpose of the weapon.

lsfreak
2010-10-14, 06:24 PM
:smallconfused:

Being better than the longsword because it's 2d4 instead of 1d8.

It's other purpose is annoying people who actually know how weapons were classified.

Other than that, I have no idea.

dsmiles
2010-10-14, 06:27 PM
:smallconfused:

Don't forget that I'm more into the fluff than the crunch. It's a more memorable weapon than the longsword. I mean, everyone uses longswords, how many people use broadswords?

Greenish
2010-10-14, 06:27 PM
It's other purpose is annoying people who actually know how weapons were classified.Is there a "one true way" of classifying historical weapons? I ask because from what little I know, it seems the nomenclature was a mess long before RPGs laid their messy hands on it.

[Edit]:
Don't forget that I'm more into the fluff than the crunch.Well, what's the fluff difference then? :smallconfused:

dsmiles
2010-10-14, 06:36 PM
[Edit]:Well, what's the fluff difference then? :smallconfused:

It's a more memorable weapon than the longsword. I mean, everyone uses longswords, how many people use broadswords?

Distinction. Just by sight alone:
Who remembers the fighter with the longsword/shortsword/greatsword/scimitar?
Not very many people.
Who remembers the fighter with the falchion/broadsword/kopesh/flamberge?
A lot more people probably.

It's all about the characterization and being distinct in the minds of the people I'm trying to save/enslave/help/kill/whatever. The type of weapon you wield is an aide to that cause. So is the armor you wear, the flavor of the spells you cast (Sculpt Spell feat is one of my favorites, if I am remembering the name correctly). In my mind, all of the little things matter to the character's memorability (is that even a word?).

EDIT: In answer to your other question: No, I don't think there is, and yes, the classifications were a mess before we gamers ever got our grubby little paws on them. Is it a longgun or a musket? A hand cannon or a pistol? Different historians from different countries will give you different answers.

Greenish
2010-10-14, 06:40 PM
Distinction. Just by sight alone:
Who remembers the fighter with the longsword/shortsword/greatsword/scimitar?
Not very many people.
Who remembers the fighter with the falchion/broadsword/kopesh/flamberge?
A lot more people probably.I have no idea why you've divided the weapons like that. Flamberge, I'm reasonable certain, is a greatsword, for example.

Anyhow, I asked what's the difference between a longsword and a broadsword.

lsfreak
2010-10-14, 06:41 PM
Is there a "one true way" of classifying historical weapons? I ask because from what little I know, it seems the nomenclature was a mess long before RPGs laid their messy hands on it.

Looking at it from present into the past, swords fall into distinct categories. See this (http://www.myarmoury.com/feature_oakeshott.html) and scroll down to Sword Typology. There are distinct groups of swords that are 'longswords,' 'zweihaender,' 'arming swords,' and so on, though there are of course some ambiguities when swords were in the process of changing between types. For example, broadswords are more specifically single-handed, double-bladed, generally baskethilted swords from the late Renaissance; OR they are Crusades-era swords more accurately called arming swords, which are of vaguely similar design and function, iirc (I'm no expert).
EDIT: Real longswords were 2-handed weapons (one while on horseback, hence hand-and-a-half), generally with a thrusting tip. D&D "longswords" are arming swords.

dsmiles
2010-10-14, 06:45 PM
I have no idea why you've divided the weapons like that. Flamberge, I'm reasonable certain, is a greatsword, for example.

Anyhow, I asked what's the difference between a longsword and a broadsword.
Fantasy-fiction usually describes a flamberge as a greatsword with a wavy blade. That one happens to be only a physical rather than statistical difference.

Physically? A longsword would have a slightly longer and (I hesitate to say thinner) less wide blade than a Broadsword (by fantasy-fiction definition). Also, some broadswords (again by fantasy-fiction definition) may venture closer to being called a sabre by having a slightly hooked toe.

Greenish
2010-10-14, 06:53 PM
Fantasy-fiction usually describes a flamberge as a greatsword with a wavy blade. That one happens to be only a physical rather than statistical difference.Yeah, so flamberge is a greatsword. :smallconfused:

Physically? A longsword would have a slightly longer and (I hesitate to say thinner) less wide blade than a Broadsword (by fantasy-fiction definition).And you can't describe a longsword like that?

I'm afraid I can't follow your thinking at all.

Morph Bark
2010-10-14, 06:57 PM
Four halves, IIRC, is two halves too many. :smalltongue:

I once saw a player play a very logically sound half-dragon half-fiend half-wit though... how do you explain that? :smallconfused:

(:smalltongue:)

dsmiles
2010-10-14, 06:58 PM
And you can't describe a longsword like that?

You absolutely could, if that's the way you roll. I just happen to roll in a different direction. I choose not to describe a longsword that way. It's all a matter of personal preference, really. In previous editions, they were statted differently. I just choose to continue that into the later editions.

EDIT: @M-Bark: I know a guy who got convinced to play a half-Drow/half-Orc. Everyone at the table eventually just shortened it to D'Orc (Dork, get it? :smalltongue:)

Dr.Epic
2010-10-14, 06:58 PM
I had a design for a weapon that was a double weapon: one end a morning star, the other a short sword.

Greenish
2010-10-14, 07:07 PM
I had a design for a weapon that was a double weapon: one end a morning star, the other a short sword.I'm sure that's an actual D&D weapon. I just can't for the life of me remember the name.

dsmiles
2010-10-14, 07:10 PM
I'm sure that's an actual D&D weapon. I just can't for the life of me remember the name.

I remember the stupid flail-on-the-hilt-of-a-longsword-thingy.

But a morningstar with a blade on the other end? Count me in.

Greenish
2010-10-14, 07:10 PM
I remember the stupid flail-on-the-hilt-of-a-longsword-thingy.

But a morningstar with a blade on the other end? Count me in.Isn't a "fantasy-fiction" morning star the same as flail? :smalltongue:

dsmiles
2010-10-14, 07:16 PM
Isn't a "fantasy-fiction" morning star the same as flail? :smalltongue:

In many novels, yes, yes it is. (And I still disagree with a heavy flail being 2H.) :smalltongue:

Greenish
2010-10-14, 07:18 PM
Gyrspike, is what the sword&flail thingy was called.

http://www.oocities.com/the_real_rakshasa/Gyrspike.GIF

dsmiles
2010-10-14, 07:21 PM
Gyrspike, is what the sword&flail thingy was called.

http://www.oocities.com/the_real_rakshasa/Gyrspike.GIF

Yep. Same reaction now as when I first set eyes on that thing. And I quote:

"Ew."

:smallbiggrin: