PDA

View Full Version : Frenzied Berserker

Master Thrower
2010-10-13, 08:35 PM
currently i am maing a frenzied berserker who is level nine.
My build is barbarian 4 fighter 2 frenzied berserker 3
I am also human.
I am wondering what feat to take.
Currently i have -
Power attack
cleave
supreme cleave (bonus from FB)
Die hard (Bonus from FB)
Intimidating rage
Destructive rage.

Feats i was considering taking
Improved bullrush into shocktrooper
Iron will
Leap attack.

Usable books are all core.
First set of completes
Draconmicon
Libris mortis
planar handbook

gallagher
2010-10-13, 08:44 PM
you should probs get leadership, then get a wizard buddy to buff you and then when there are no more enemies to stop you

Darthteej
2010-10-13, 08:44 PM
Take leap attack. Once you max out FB, you can do 12 DAMAGE for every -1 to hit. Seriously, the pwnage that results is unbelievable.

Il_Vec
2010-10-13, 08:55 PM
I second for Leap Attack.

My former Orc Frenzied Berserker's feats:

Barbarian 1: Power attack
Fighter: 1 : Cleave
Fighter 2: Improved Bull Rush, Destructive Rage
Barbarian 2
Fighter 3
Fighter 4: Shock Trooper, Intimidating Rage
FB 1: Diehard
FB 2: Supreme Cleave
FB 3: Leap Attack

If going Human, I'd take Intimidating rage as the human bonus feat, Leap Attack at level 6, and Mad Foam Rager Extra Rage at level 9.

Edit: The OP hasn't listed PHII as an allowed book, thus, no Mad Foam Rager.

Master Thrower
2010-10-13, 08:57 PM
mad foam rager??

Il_Vec
2010-10-13, 09:02 PM
Sorry, I misread planar handbook as player handbook II. Mad foam rager is a feat that allows you to delay one spell or ability used on you while in a rage or frenzy.

My second choice would be extra rage, or iron will if you are afraid of not getting out of frenzy at the right time.

Shyftir
2010-10-13, 09:50 PM
Whatever you choose, remember to buy a wand of calm emotions and give it to a trusted companion, any FB who doesn't do this, is being a fool.

sonofzeal
2010-10-13, 09:53 PM
Pass the "Righteous Wrath" feat from BoED by your DM. First, by RAI it should completely prevent horrible teamkill. Second, it helps qualify you for Champion of Gwynharwyf from the same book, which is an awesome awesome class for Good-aligned Barbarians. I realize BoED isn't on your list, but it's still worth considering.

Eldariel
2010-10-13, 09:54 PM
Whatever you choose, remember to buy a wand of calm emotions and give it to a trusted companion, any FB who doesn't do this, is being a fool.

Do note that the spell offers a save...which can be pesky. My preferred method is Wand of Grease (as he autofails the Balance-check to move), though if the FB gets items which enable him to fly on his own, that may be problematic (and not having them could be problematic in combat).

It may be the easiest to give him a magic item requiring activation so he can only fly if he activates them before Frenzy. As such, if he flies into a Frenzy due to damage or some such, you can disable him easily. After combat, it's only a DC 20 Will-save, something an FB should be prepared to make every time.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-10-13, 09:55 PM
Whatever you choose, remember to buy a wand of calm emotions and give it to a trusted companion, any FB who doesn't do this, is being a fool.Well, either you do that or you boost your will save so high that you can automatically snap yourself out of it. Steadfast Determination is nice here.

Edit: Agh, no PHBII or ToB. Your will save won't be high enough. Oh well, Calm Emotions it is.

sonofzeal
2010-10-13, 09:58 PM
Well, either you do that or you boost your will save so high that you can automatically snap yourself out of it. Steadfast Determination is nice here.

Edit: Agh, no PHBII or ToB. Your will save won't be high enough. Oh well, Calm Emotions it is.
Or Righteous Wrath, given that this is exactly what the feat was intended to do..... :smallwink:

Eldariel
2010-10-13, 10:02 PM
Well, either you do that or you boost your will save so high that you can automatically snap yourself out of it. Steadfast Determination is nice here.

With SRD magic items only, you can get +11 beyond your base save to Will:
Cloak of Resistance +5 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#cloakofResistance) (+5 Resistance, 25k)
Crystalmask of Mindarmor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#crystalMaskofMindarmor) (+4 Insight, 10k)
Luck Blade (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#luckBlade) (+1 Luck + Reroll, 22k)
Pale Green Prism Ioun Stone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#iounStones) (+1 Competence, 30k)

So, with sufficient christmas tree on you, it should be doable. Of course, FBs are made for dead magic zones and... :smallbiggrin: Y'know, it may not be such a bad idea to multiclass into Cleric for two levels, pick up Luck-domain and something else (e.g. Destruction) and a nice boost to your Will-save plus an AMF-proof reroll. This could help.

herrhauptmann
2010-10-13, 10:25 PM

That helps with ending the rage after combat and makes it almost a surety.
I've always felt that the bigger issue is avoiding frenzy at inopportune times. Which is usually a significantly higher DC than 20. Think of how much damage a trap could do at level 9. 20 points easily right? That's a DC 30 will save if I'm remembering the FB correctly.

Definitely, as stated, get the wand of grease and the wand of calm emotions. One to wizard, one to cleric. Or the UMD rogue if your party is missing one of those.

TheThan
2010-10-14, 01:09 AM
Leap attack and shock trooper are pretty standard feats, for a frenzied berserker, because they work very well. (Trade AC for power attack? heck yeah! Triple my PA damage? heck yeah!). So I’d say just go ahead and pick those up.

Myth
2010-10-14, 08:35 AM
Never take Iron Will if you can get the Otyugh Hole from CS for 3000 gp.

Abaddon87
2010-10-14, 09:19 AM
I second Steadfast Determination. I am also playing a FB currently and getting my CON to up my WILL saves is huge! DC 20 save is no problem if you have a 20+ CON (which you should) and the best part is it isnt magic. AMFs stop spells and items might need to be activated, but feats are an untouchable foundation for save building.

Il_Vec
2010-10-14, 09:28 AM
I second Steadfast Determination. I am also playing a FB currently and getting my CON to up my WILL saves is huge! DC 20 save is no problem if you have a 20+ CON (which you should) and the best part is it isnt magic. AMFs stop spells and items might need to be activated, but feats are an untouchable foundation for save building.

Two problems there: The pre-requisite for Steadfast Determination, and the lack of PHII on the usable books.

If those can be worked around, it is much, much better than iron will.