PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Magazine

zyborg
2010-10-13, 09:24 PM
I was wondering, is there any way to find the comic strips from the Dragon Magazines? I've been wanting to read them, but I don't even know where to find them.

NerfTW
2010-10-13, 09:45 PM
Only by buying the issues of Dragon Magazine that they appeared in.

Rich has stated a desire to release them in a collection, but obviously, it was ended far too soon to be put into an individual collection. He's currently looking at ways to relase them, last he mentioned. As a 20-odd page book, it would be prohibitively expensive and not fit in with the collections, and as a bonus content it's larger than the amount of bonus content normally in the books, and would increase that price as well.

zyborg
2010-10-13, 09:52 PM
Well, darn. I would've liked to see them, but tracking each magazine down just for that isn't worth it to me.

Nimrod's Son
2010-10-13, 10:00 PM
He's currently looking at ways to relase them, last he mentioned. As a 20-odd page book, it would be prohibitively expensive and not fit in with the collections, and as a bonus content it's larger than the amount of bonus content normally in the books, and would increase that price as well.
Actually, his most recent comment was that he knows how they're going to be released. He's keeping schtum for the time being, though.

I know exactly what I am going to do with Dragon Magazine comics, I'm just not telling you what I'm doing yet, because I'm not ready.

Leecros
2010-10-13, 10:25 PM
Actually, his most recent comment was that he knows how they're going to be released. He's keeping schtum for the time being, though.

Clearly he's going to use them in his latest World Domination plot...

Dr.Epic
2010-10-13, 11:25 PM

Yay! I've only read a few of them and I want to read the rest!

Felhammer
2010-10-14, 12:04 AM
How many are there? I know I've read quite a few but I don't think I've read them all. Really loved the comic with the Snail (for those in the know, laugh with me!) :smallwink::smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2010-10-14, 12:48 AM
How many are there? I know I've read quite a few but I don't think I've read them all. Really loved the comic with the Snail (for those in the know, laugh with me!) :smallwink::smallbiggrin:

Tee Hee! That was a good one. I think there are around 20. I'm not too sure though.

Tass
2010-10-14, 01:39 AM
There are twenty one.

Tee hee, yeah that is one of the good ones. I like the one with the swarm of puffins. Complicated culture indeed.

factotum
2010-10-14, 01:45 AM

Actually, that comment just says he knows what he's going to do with them, and "never release them" is just as valid a thing to do with them as anything else. :smallamused:

Nimrod's Son
2010-10-14, 02:44 AM
Actually, that comment just says he knows what he's going to do with them, and "never release them" is just as valid a thing to do with them as anything else. :smallamused:
I suppose that's a possibility. But I doubt he was trying to convey that he's going to continue to not release them right up until the point that he's "ready" to not release them. :smalltongue:

Zherog
2010-10-14, 08:43 AM
Well, darn. I would've liked to see them, but tracking each magazine down just for that isn't worth it to me.

Does your library have Dragon? Or can they get it on loan from another library?

NerfTW
2010-10-14, 10:47 AM
Ah, I forgot about that post.

As for the comics themselves, they're funny, but they're completely devoid of plot or story. You're not really missing anything other than puns and rules jokes, like the very early strips. They don't take place in continuity at all, either, given that there's no point where the strips could have taken place.

The only plot point being Belkar's ranks in Gourmet Chef, mentioned in the online comic as well.

Oh, and the inspiration for one of the limited time magnets.

So it's not crucial to have those comics to understand the story, although they are extremely funny. :smallbiggrin:

Crisis21
2010-10-14, 12:23 PM
If it were me (and obviously its not, so don't take this as a prediction) I'd include them as bonus material in a prequel book (which is bonus material anyway) focused on the Order of the Scribble. That book would be done in crayon drawings and would have to be full color anyway. This also removes the Dragon strips as bonus material in a core book, thus preventing them from affecting the price of one of those.

zyborg
2010-10-14, 08:27 PM
What's this "order of the Scribble"?

Xykeb Zraliv
2010-10-14, 09:28 PM
What's this "order of the Scribble"?

It's the group that made the gates everybody's after.

Welknair
2010-10-14, 09:46 PM
I feel so out of the loop... I've never even seen an issue of Dragon Magazine. :smallfrown:

Crisis21
2010-10-14, 10:52 PM
It's the group that made the gates everybody's after.

They were formally introduced in comic #276 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html), which bears the title: The Crayons of Time: The Order of the Scribble

This is how we know what their group is/was called. Rich made the name up, not the fans if that is what you were thinking. :smallsmile:

Felhammer
2010-10-15, 02:15 AM
There are twenty one.

Tee hee, yeah that is one of the good ones. I like the one with the swarm of puffins. Complicated culture indeed.

Hehe, I was just thinking about that comic as I was designing a dungeon map (that has a bird theme).

I feel so out of the loop... I've never even seen an issue of Dragon Magazine. :smallfrown:

You are missing out, some of those Dragon Mags were really good (content wise). Paizo still sells a bunch of them in PDF form for a fair price. :smallsmile:

Zherog
2010-10-15, 08:44 AM
You are missing out, some of those Dragon Mags were really good (content wise). Paizo still sells a bunch of them in PDF form for a fair price. :smallsmile:

Although it's worth pointing out that the PDF versions do not have the OotS comics in them.

Ancalagon
2010-10-15, 10:01 AM
Although it's worth pointing out that the PDF versions to not have the OotS comics in them.

Naaaaah. No one here would be interested about that. ;)

Kurald Galain
2010-10-15, 11:00 AM
This is one for the FAQs :)

tcrudisi
2010-10-15, 11:30 AM
Which magazines do they appear in? I am interested in trying to find those magazines so I can read the comics, but I have no idea where to even start looking.

Ancalagon
2010-10-15, 11:47 AM
Hum... did you try google? words to search for could be: dragon magazine issues order of the stick. (Just paste them in).

You get, for example, http://oots.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_magazine

What do kids learn these days? ;)

tcrudisi
2010-10-15, 12:27 PM
Hum... did you try google? words to search for could be: dragon magazine issues order of the stick. (Just paste them in).

You get, for example, http://oots.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_magazine

What do kids learn these days? ;)

You young whipper-snapper! When I was your age, we had altavista. None of this fancy-smancy googlish.

And thanks.

silvadel
2010-10-15, 01:10 PM
The last one was dragon sep 2007 issue 359 -- and the 20 issues before that.

Spoilers below.

The other semi-important part was when V wanted the apricot facial gel in #16. That is one of the supporting things for the V is female faction of OOTSers.

Generally they are just the oots members being themselves in a series of one-shots, and many of the jokes were recycled into the OOTS comic itself(like elans invisibility).

If you do read them the best jokes are at the bottom of the page (the titles).

Ancalagon
2010-10-15, 01:31 PM
[QUOTE=tcrudisi;9558129]You young whipper-snapper! When I was your age, we had altavista. None of this fancy-smancy googlish./QUOTE]

Pah, when I was young, altavista was the hot, new thing!

If it's true what you state, you must be nearing... hum... 50 by now. ;)

Ron Miel
2010-10-15, 03:50 PM
Previous thread, including some comments by The Giant himself.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159262