PDA

View Full Version : First time DM

Eloel
2010-10-14, 01:46 AM
I've seen, a long time ago, a thread with tips for new DMs. I can't find it right now, so I turn to the wise playground. I'm planning to DM for a group of people who only ever played a single one-shot, and got TPK'd at first encounter. So, they know the basic rules, have a clue on char generation, some clue on roleplaying, but nothing extensive.

Me, I've not DM'd, ever, before.

I'm aware that, due to the "newbie" status of the whole group, it won't go as smoothly as I'd hope it would. Still, I think it might be worth a try.

I have a lot of time to plan, so getting ready wouldn't be an issue. IF I knew how to get ready for it. Should I build up a campaign setting? Should I just push them into Eberron/FR/Generic setting and let them be? Improvisation with "hooded guy at inn" ?

Anything else I should be prepared for?

tl;dr : New DM. New players. Advice?

DeltaEmil
2010-10-14, 02:24 AM
Don't be disheartened when anybody makes mistakes, as long as you're willing to learn from them.

Also, a good adventure that also has some interaction stuff and a place to retreat is good, like for example a magical castle lorded by a dracula-like vampire count. He's guarded by all kinds of monster and plotting the demise of the region. His castle has appeared on the nearby haunted hills behind a dark and misty woods near an old city after a hundred years since somebody had slain the count. If nobody can stop him, he'll break the ancient enchantment that keeps him and his legion of darkness inside the castle, and then he'll start his true reign of terror.
It's a classical scenario, it might have dungeons and dragons in it (red dragons are iconic), a pseudo-intellectual and wannabe-civilized antagonist that steals fair maidens to drink from their blood, and if necessary, the players can still have urban adventures when a carmilla-like vampire seductress tries to take control over the local thieves/assassin/bad-guys-guild.

What I mean, just have some kind of interesting scenario, even although it's full of clichée. You don't have to re-invent the wheel, so to say.

The above-mentioned vampire castle with undead, troglodytes, feral gnolls, chimeras, giants, goblins, ghouls and ghosts and whatever monster threat is a location that writes adventures almost for itself, and gives you as the gm tons of plot-hooks.

And don't stat out things too much early on.

dsmiles
2010-10-14, 04:50 AM
If they don't have a good, solid grasp of the rules and whatnot, ask them if they mind running a one-shot with a published module. Running a published module is a good way to get fully acquainted with the system in question, for both the DM and the Players.
I'm a new GM to Mutants and Masterminds, and that's exactly what I'm doing. We're running a published module to get 100% familiar into the system. After that, it'll be free-for-all improv sessions, like I can do for DnD.

On the other hand, if everybody's already familiar with the system in question, make up your own adventure. Do a rough draft of an outline, and let them have at it. Really, IMO, the best story is the one told by the players. Move and countermove. You describe the situation, players act, the story reacts, wash, rinse, repeat.

Thrawn4
2010-10-14, 07:25 PM
I've seen, a long time ago, a thread with tips for new DMs. I can't find it right now, so I turn to the wise playground.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76474

Anything else I should be prepared for?
Unexpected stuff will happen. Mostly because of your players. Don't worry, roll with it.