PDA

View Full Version : Build me a +10LA Psion

zenanarchist
2010-10-14, 03:59 AM
I'm starting yet another game...

Up to +5LA template

Up to +5LA race

Both for free.

I will be a psion focused on bending people and....dare I say it...the others in my party to my will.

I need as much Int and Cha bonus as I can. I have an Int of 30...and a Cha of 29....I need even more.

Nothing with Racial Hit Die.....We've determined that Racial Hit Die can be bought off at a ration of 1:1 for LA....

Annnnd.....Go!

Zephyros
2010-10-14, 05:52 AM
Pity your requirements immediately rule out Succubus and Nymph :smallsigh:

Hmmm..

May I suggest a Fire-Souled (DR314 pg23) Domovoi from Frostburn. A Fey (Fire) with +2 LA and 2 racial HD, which will give you: +4 Dex +2 Con +4 Int +6 Wis +6 Cha –2 Str and some minor perks like Produce flame/Pyrotechnics mostly flavor. Pixie is always a stable for +CHA and +INT.

The template piles +4 CHA on top of that, the feat Leadership, Overwhelming Passion -a thieving CHA-based-moves touch attack, for +1 LA.

and u have +4 more LA for templates. Like Spellwarped (MM3) for an extra Str +4 Dex +2 Con +4 Int +4 and a HD-based Spell Resistance which comes with a spell-absorption effect.

Statwise the sum will give you:
+2 STR +6 DEX +4 CON +6 WIS +8 INT +10 CHA and some useful perks (loleadership)

zenanarchist
2010-10-14, 05:57 AM

They do? Why so? RHD?

Hmmm..

May I suggest a Fire-Souled (DR314 pg23) Domovoi from Frostburn. A Fey (Fire) with +2 LA and 2 racial HD, which will give you: +4 Dex +2 Con +4 Int +6 Wis +6 Cha –2 Str and some minor perks like Produce flame/Pyrotechnics mostly flavor. Pixie is always a stable for +CHA and +INT.

Wouldn't that take it to +8LA? (4 for pixie, 2 for fire souled 2 RHD?

The template piles +4 CHA on top of that, the feat Leadership, Overwhelming Passion -a thieving CHA-based-moves touch attack, for +1 LA.
Which template? I thought fire souled gave +6Cha?

and u have +4 more LA for templates. Like Spellwarped (MM3) for an extra Str +4 Dex +2 Con +4 Int +4 and a HD-based Spell Resistance which comes with a spell-absorption effect.

Don't you mean +2LA left?

Statwise the sum will give you:
+2 STR +6 DEX +4 CON +6 WIS +8 INT +10 CHA and some useful perks (loleadership)

That will give me a 38 intelligence. Which is actually pretty damn good.. But can we get it higher?

Tyger
2010-10-14, 06:19 AM

Hmmm..

May I suggest a Fire-Souled (DR314 pg23)

Remember that Fire Souled is not LA+1 as noted on Crystal Keep, but is in fact LA+3.

Other than that, decent advice.

zenanarchist
2010-10-14, 06:22 AM
Is that true?

Gahhhh.....

What I HAD was:

1/2 Pixie, 1/2 Catfolk Fire souled greater phantom.

Analytica
2010-10-14, 06:25 AM
Consider phrenic and unseelie fey as well.

Unseelie fey half-nymph is +2 int, +6 charisma for +2LA.

Analytica
2010-10-14, 06:32 AM
Then there are starting points such as Lesser Aasimar (+2 WIS, +2 CHA) for no LA.

zenanarchist
2010-10-14, 06:34 AM
I'm a psion. So all those bonuses to Cha are killing me in place of massive bonuses to intellect....Still helpful as I'm a telepath though...

Zephyros
2010-10-14, 06:49 AM
Domovoi is a race of its own (despite being a fey like pixies). I was just giving an honorary mention at pixies. Other than that I keep forgetting the effin fire souled typo at Crystal-keep :smallredface: So yeah I got 2 x (+3) templates in my suggestion. Try bargaining the LA left-overs you have from race (Domovoi is +2LA 2RHD so you got 1 point left :smallbiggrin:)

edit: and then you ll be a fire fairy with a soul of fire warped by black magic :smallbiggrin: Bonus points if you name it Blackfire Darkspark :smallbiggrin:

zenanarchist
2010-10-14, 06:55 AM
ACTUALLY...what I might do is bargain getting Domovoi and Pixie....Then take a +2 LA template....The bonuses to Intelligence AND charisma are too much too pass up.

vampire2948
2010-10-14, 07:18 AM
Ask your DM if you can play an Ethergaunt, then take a look at them. Think you might be able to fit in Red Ethergaunt, at least. Free wizard casting is fun, and high int boosts.

Not sure how well that'd fit into your campaign, though.

Eldan
2010-10-14, 07:18 AM
Pixie is really nice for just about everything, if you can get past the LA. So how about starting with a Phrenic Pixie, for massive intelligence and nice stealth, then packing more on?

Zephyros
2010-10-14, 07:22 AM
ACTUALLY...what I might do is bargain getting Domovoi and Pixie....Then take a +2 LA template....The bonuses to Intelligence AND charisma are too much too pass up.

Those are two distinct/different races :smallconfused:

Jack_Simth
2010-10-14, 07:31 AM
Half-Fey (LA+2; Fiend Folio), Half-Dragon (LA+3, Monster Manual), Ghost (LA+5; Monster Manual).

+10 LA, +10 Charisma, + a bit Int.

zenanarchist
2010-10-14, 07:42 AM
Hmmm Phrenic Fire Souled Pixie?

Morph Bark
2010-10-14, 07:51 AM
I'm a psion. So all those bonuses to Cha are killing me in place of massive bonuses to intellect....Still helpful as I'm a telepath though...

Extra Cha is great if you're going Thrallherd though. :smallwink:

zenanarchist
2010-10-14, 07:54 AM
True....However...There may be some slight caps to thrallherd...Guess we'll see as the DM determines the world.

kestrel404
2010-10-14, 08:54 AM
Pixie Ghost. Forget having ridiculous stats - go for ridiculous powers. Malevolence - the ghost power which is effectively Soul Jar at will with none of the down sides - is truly horrifying in its versatility. You can use it to pretend to be something else (just hide in the body of the same guy all the time) - and still manifest all of your Psion abilities. It lasts for 10 hours at a time and you can use the ability at will.

It will be entirely unexpected. Remain invisible constantly, and when you're not posessing someone you're invisible OR ethereal! None of the party need ever learn that you're a ghost (assuming intra party conflict is going to be an issue)!

Take the leadership feat (or thrallherd, that's even better!), and use it to posses one of your mooks, or even your cohort (they'll have almost as much HD as you do, and if you give them a good Con score, probably more HP). Heck, the GM may rule that your cohort is willing to be posessed voluntarily (no save, no hassle) which makes keeping up the charade of you BEING your cohort really simple - even when you go out for a 'stroll' to posess the enemey/use your powers unobserved/whatever, your cohort can keep up the act until you get back.

Just some ideas. Hope that helps!

Psyren
2010-10-14, 11:04 AM
Unbodied (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/unbodied.htm) is great at +4. You're incorporeal without being undead, fly speed 30ft. (good), Darkvision 60ft., your d8 racial HD stack with your psion levels and you get Cha to AC.

zenanarchist
2010-10-14, 05:04 PM
Pixie Ghost. Forget having ridiculous stats - go for ridiculous powers. Malevolence - the ghost power which is effectively Soul Jar at will with none of the down sides - is truly horrifying in its versatility. You can use it to pretend to be something else (just hide in the body of the same guy all the time) - and still manifest all of your Psion abilities. It lasts for 10 hours at a time and you can use the ability at will.

It will be entirely unexpected. Remain invisible constantly, and when you're not posessing someone you're invisible OR ethereal! None of the party need ever learn that you're a ghost (assuming intra party conflict is going to be an issue)!

Take the leadership feat (or thrallherd, that's even better!), and use it to posses one of your mooks, or even your cohort (they'll have almost as much HD as you do, and if you give them a good Con score, probably more HP). Heck, the GM may rule that your cohort is willing to be posessed voluntarily (no save, no hassle) which makes keeping up the charade of you BEING your cohort really simple - even when you go out for a 'stroll' to posess the enemey/use your powers unobserved/whatever, your cohort can keep up the act until you get back.

Win button for you sir! Massive win button. Could you PM me and explain magic jar? I don't see where it says I can possess anything on the ghost template?

Jack Zander
2010-10-15, 07:52 AM

This is in fact full of win. You can even talk to your DM and work in a backstory for why you are a ghost and what you are still attached to this world for (a grievance with the BBEG would work best since it'll last you until the end of the game and then you get a FFX Tidus ending).

zenanarchist
2010-10-15, 08:04 AM
This is in fact full of win. You can even talk to your DM and work in a backstory for why you are a ghost and what you are still attached to this world for (a grievance with the BBEG would work best since it'll last you until the end of the game and then you get a FFX Tidus ending).

It is most insanely full of win!