PDA

View Full Version : Server issues?

Katana_Geldar
2010-10-14, 04:24 AM
I keep getting 500 errors and I'm in the middle of updating an encounter. What's going on?

Roc Ness
2010-10-14, 05:01 AM
I got a lot of those errors today, around an hour ago from this post. Cleared up in half-an-hour.

Katana_Geldar
2010-10-26, 04:00 AM
WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON??????

Happened again while I was using the dice roller, had to type out the post AGAIN. :smallfurious:

MODS? You're usually so prompt, why all these 404 errors?

Zeb The Troll
2010-10-26, 06:10 AM
I haven't experienced whatever it is you're seeing. Also, "mods" can't doing anything about technical server issues. If the forums are down for some reason, so are we. Rawhide is the only one with under the hood access that could even attempt to do anything if there was actually a problem.

SensFan
2010-10-26, 07:08 AM
Might I suggest copy-pasting any large post to Notepad or somesuch in the future, to avoid losing it if there is an issue after you submit? Though in my experience, if you just hit Back, your browser often keeps any text you entered.

Haruki-kun
2010-10-26, 08:59 AM
Might I suggest copy-pasting any large post to Notepad or somesuch in the future, to avoid losing it if there is an issue after you submit? Though in my experience, if you just hit Back, your browser often keeps any text you entered.

Unfortunately, not all browsers do that. And most times one doesn't remember to copy and paste the post.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-10-26, 11:21 AM
And most times one doesn't remember to copy and paste the post.
That’s why it is useful to cultivate it as a habit. That way, one does not need to remember. One will just do it.

Anyway, 500 errors are generally a bit of a catch-all category. Unless it winds up in a server log, such an error can be hard to diagnose. I suppose giving as close to the exact time the error occurred would help Rawhide check the logs.

Katana_Geldar
2010-10-26, 02:40 PM
It was about ten minutes or so after the boards went into backup last night.

And the reason I was so angry (aside from losing the dice rolls) was because this thread has sat here for two weeks with no response until now.

senrath
2010-10-26, 03:22 PM
In my experience these errors crop up every once in a while pretty much right after the boards come back online after the back-up, and only then.

Roland St. Jude
2010-10-26, 04:46 PM
WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?????You're having a meltdown would be my best guess. I mean, I acknowledge that it's probably upsetting to lose data, but it happens with some frequency on forums and websites all across the internet. There's no secret conspiracy to cause you page load errors, if that's what you're concerned about. Nor is there any evidence (of which I am aware) that there is an increase in errors of late, though I leave a more definitive judgment on that to Rawhide.

In general, I'd suggest that we (like all human beings) don't react positively to being yelled at.

Sheriff of Moddingham: If you want to report a technical problem, you might consider using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of every page and choose the appropriate radio button (probably Forum or Website). If you report a technical problem here, that's fine, too. Either way, Rawhide is going to need more information than "I got a 404/500 error" in order to even look into it.

I'm sorry, but there really isn't enough information to give any sort of a diagnostic assessment.

Things we need to know:
Your operating system, browser and their versions.
The page you were on (link to page, post and thread, as applicable).
What you were doing/trying to do in as much detail as possible.
The error message(s).
Any other symptoms (did what you were trying to do work despite the error, did you try it again and it worked, did it fail completely, what else happened, etc)
Any programs, such as firewalls or antivirus scanners, that you are running which may interfere.
Any other applicable information you can think of.
Even then, there's no guarantee that it's a systemic forum error or that it's something that Rawhide has time to (or sufficient data to) diagnose for you.

As others have suggested Ctrl-C or other data copying methods might be useful if this happens to you often.

Unless Rawhide has some information to share, which he can post through the lock, there's not much more we can tell you.