PDA

View Full Version : The Best Videogame. Ever.

Deepblue706
2006-06-12, 07:53 PM
I'm curious of what other people think is the best videogame thus far.

My personal favorite is probably Vagrant Story. The characters, the gameplay, the style, the atmosphere...it was all so perfect in my opinion. I wish I had it :(

close runner-ups:
Final Fantasy 6
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil

Cybren
2006-06-12, 07:57 PM
I can't choose... oh god....
overall, either Deus Ex or Final Fantasy Tactics Honorable mention is the opera scene from FF6

Akiosama
2006-06-12, 08:37 PM
Tough... I can try to go by category...

Fighter: SoulCalibur III

Strategy: Tie - MS Gundam G Generation Seed & Disgaea

RPG: Final Fantasy VI

FPS: Half-Life 2

RTS: Warhammer 40K - Dawn of War & Winter Assault

Sports: NBA 2K6

Horror: Fatal Frame

Music: Taiko no Tatsujin

MMORPG: World of Warcraft

Other: Katamari Damacy

My 2 yen,

Game on!

Akio

Saithis Bladewing
2006-06-12, 08:42 PM
Fighting: Tekken Tag Tournament
Real-Time Strategy: StarCraft
Turn-Based Strategy: Advance Wars 2
FPS: Halo 1 or Counterstrike
RPG: Final Fantasy 6
MMORPG: Ultima Online (before the patch of doom)
Horror: Call of Cthulu (forget which one it was...)
Sports: RAW vs. Smackdown 2006
Side-scrollers: Soldat, no contest.
Adventure: Escape from Monkey Island
Hybrids: Deus Ex

tgva8889
2006-06-12, 08:43 PM
Sorry, I really, really, really like Super Smash Brothers Melee. Pokemon series is good too, but that's just me. I mean, it's a great kind of RPG!

Otherwise, I like Call of Duty 2, that was a good game, and Starcraft I like as well. Both that and the expansion.

Any other games? Oh, right, Kirby Air Ride. Believe me, it's addicting.

NEO|Phyte
2006-06-12, 08:44 PM
Currently, my fav is Air Buccaneers. This is likely to change the moment I start getting bored with it.

A_Dark_Danish
2006-06-12, 08:47 PM
Shining Force!

Love that Alef. <3 <3

Valda, Adlav and Samiam: the Jacked-Up Trinity
2006-06-12, 10:21 PM
My top 5:

1. Dark Cloud 2

2. Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits

3. Kingdom Hearts I

4. Super Smash Bros. Melee

5. Jak II

Genre-wise:

Action RPG: Dark Cloud 2

Tactical RPG: Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits; Front Mission 4 (they're about even as far as TRPGs go.)

Turn-Based RPG: The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age

Shooter: Halo 2

Fighter: Super Smash Bros. Melee

Racing: Kirby Air Ride; F-Zero GX

Adventure: Jak II

Platformer: Crash Bandicoot 2 (Old-School!)

Monster RPG: Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 (back before they started with this 'Dragon Quest' crap. The graphics and sound were archaic, but the game was unbelievably good. Especially considering it was on GBC. If you still have an old school GBA that can play it you should definitely try to get a copy.)

BelkarsDagger
2006-06-12, 10:23 PM
The original Command and Conquer by Westwood Studios. By far the best video game. EVAR!!!!!!!! Bow down before it!!!

Beleriphon
2006-06-12, 10:38 PM
RPG: Baldur's Gate 2 or Elderscrolls 4: Oblivion
JRPG: FF6
FPS: Halo 2 or Half-Life 2 depending on my mood
RTS: Warcraft 2, its a classic
Sport: Eh...
Adventure: Escape from Monkey Island (I think thats the third one)
Humour: Sam and Max Hit the Road

Vulion
2006-06-12, 11:15 PM
Warcraft 3 with Final Fantasy Tactics and Tales of Symphonia in close second.

valadil
2006-06-12, 11:29 PM
For single player games you can't beat Deus Ex.

Multiplayer is a bit trickier (especially since I prefer mp games, so I play more of them), but I'm going to have to go with Savage, even though you've probably never heard of it.

Tom_Violence
2006-06-12, 11:34 PM
Fallout.

'Nuff said.

Valda, Adlav and Samiam: the Jacked-Up Trinity
2006-06-12, 11:57 PM
Fallout.

'Nuff said.

Hehehe. Ethan. Reference cookie.

Sholos
2006-06-13, 01:52 AM
D&D, choose your edition. ;D

BelkarsDagger
2006-06-13, 01:57 AM
Is D&D a video game...? ::)

A_Gray_Phantom
2006-06-13, 03:21 AM
Fellas, fellas, you've got it all wrong! I haven't even heard of some of these games :P. You wanna talk about good games, how about the classics:

Super Mario Bros: Before entering into the prestigious plumber class, Mario and Luigi were carpenters in a couple arcade games. Since then, Shigeru Miyamoto's little man has taken on a life of his own! EVERYONE knows who the Mario Bros. are...

Pac Man: Wakka wakka wakka! Yeah, man, Pac Man is, um, da man, YO! He eats ghosts for breakfast, followed closely by a couple of cherries... Too bad about what happend to him and Ms. Pac Man. Anyone ever seen that special on "Pac Man, Behind the Video Game"?

Star Fox 64: Ooh, yeah, daddy likes blowing stuff up, spinning, shooting... The level where you blow up the train while driving a tank is my fave. And once you beat the game, you can go back through in expert mode, with some frickin' cool sunglasses!

Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time: The story presented in this game is one of the best amongst all of the Zelda themed games. One thing I've always wanted to know is this: WHY is it called the "Legend of Zelda"? Poor Link is running around, slaying dragons, killing evil zombies, and Zelda is sitting pretty in her little tower waiting to be saved. If I ever meet Miyamoto, I'm going to have to beg him to give kudos to Link.

Hmm, looks like most of these characters were thought of by Shigeru Miyamoto, a manager at Nintendo ;D.

Tekar
2006-06-13, 03:31 AM
1) Planescape: Torment
2) Baldur's Gate I
3) Baldur's Gate II + ToB
4) Fallout 2
5) Jagged Alliance 2
6) Medieval: Total War
7) Desperados
8) Alpha Centauri
9) Heroes of Might & Magic 3
10) Shogun: Total War

tis_tom
2006-06-13, 04:06 AM
There were a couple of games on the sega saturn that are just supreme. My top three from the saturn was Shining Force 3 (all 3 scenarios cost me £200 from ebay :-|), Saturn Bomberman!!!, and Guardian Heroes

You just can't re-make that sort of game what with the graphics they try and add into everything nowadays! However the more recent games I love are Resident Evil 4, Final Fantasy 8 and 10, Neverwinter Nights and Diablo 2

They're genius.

Ilover_Juventad
2006-06-13, 08:40 AM
Ooh...lots to pick, but I don't really buy much games. I like...

1. NWN (Yay for RP)
2. Battle Realms (Realism > Every other RTS out there)
3. Shogun: Total War (Others were too complex fer me simple mind)
4. PGA Tour 2004/5 (Console, I don't play as much)
5. Mount & Blade (Darn, I just have trial)
6. Warcraft III: Frozen Throne
7. Star Ocean TtEoT (Till the End of Time, I know, I don't play console much)
8. The Sims II
9. Tekken 5
10. Jedi Knight Academy

-IJ

The Prince of Cats
2006-06-13, 09:18 AM
1. Elite
2. Full Throttle
3. Doom
4. Neverwinter Nights / Morrowind

It all depends on genre. Elite was the first ever game to make my jaw drop by being so far ahead of the competition.

Full Throttle was Lucasarts at their best. Beneath a Steel Sky came close to beating it for point & click number one slot but not quite.

Doom... The first game to give me the screaming ab-dabs. You can hear the low growling on the other side of the door and you know you have to open it but you just can't do it...

While Vampire: the Masquerade - Redemption was impressive to me (and won my personal award for overuse of punctuation) I think NWN will always hold a special place in my heart. It shares that slot with Morrowind though, since each of the two have their problems but both have complementary strengths. They are also dissimilar enough that if I feel like playing one, I am not really in the mood for the other.

Tekar
2006-06-13, 10:14 AM
Mount & Blade (Darn, I just have trial)
Hehe, I have the full version. There are some great mods for the game out there (last days, pirates, ...) and I can't wait for the fantasy mod to be released. IMO some money well spent. (and I rather give money to them than those money grubbing Bethesda sellouts)

Maxis_IronForge
2006-06-13, 10:14 AM
Hmmm.... tough call. I'm only listing gameas that were either never surpassed by later generations of games, or that I happened to never play the sequel for.

Pre-Floppies:
Space Invaders (Arcade)
Hunt the Wumpus (Atari I think)

5 and a quarter inch floppies
Deathtrack
Pirates
Steel Empire
Rogue

3 and a half inch floppies
Stronghold
Monkey Island (is this vintage right? the whole series was good)
Quest games (Police... Space... Eco... Whatever)
Sim-ant

CD/Console
Searogue
Megaman
Mechwarrior II: Mercenaries
Populouse: the beginning
Warcraft 3

DVD/Modern Console
Master of Orion III
X3: The Threat
Bloodrayne II
Halo II

Regarding the actual question... hmmm.... I'd say steel Empire. multiple giant robots, infinite replayability despite simplicity, contained both strategy and real time combat that required skill to win. But that's only cause ya twisted my arm. I would debate whether that title can ever truly be won. There will always be more games, and noeone can play them all.

WampaX
2006-06-13, 12:00 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics - for console
Dune II - for computer
Gauntlet/Gauntlet II - for arcade

Based on amount of money/time invested multiplied by fun giving me a metric to compare each game against.
fav = (t/m)f

Deepblue706
2006-06-13, 12:04 PM
Bleh...Tactics....

I though it was an okay game AT FIRST, but went really downhill after you kill Weigraff/Velious. I was also pretty damn pissed about Zalbag too.

Did you know they mention Riskbreakers (From Vagrant Story)? Well, it's the same world.

I thought Vagrant Story had a much more interesting plotline, in my opinion, though (thus why it's my fav...not FFT).

Plus I couldn't stand the people marching in place. It just...really made me mad for some reason.

InaVegt
2006-06-13, 12:06 PM
Pong

Tom_Violence
2006-06-13, 12:15 PM
Full Throttle was Lucasarts at their best. Beneath a Steel Sky came close to beating it for point & click number one slot but not quite.

I still have fond memories of whacking that mole man across the back of the head with a big plank of wood. :) That said though, I always find it hard to pick between the Lucasarts adventures. The Monkey Island games are obviously classics, Sam and Max was hilariously insane, and Day of the Tentacle was superbly oddball. Full Throttle has probably their best combination of individual elements - great characters, a very good setting and some cunning puzzles. Oh, and it was pretty damn funny too. ;)

As for Beneath a Steel Sky, I've actually still got that in its original box sitting on my shelf, complete with aged 3.5" floppies. Its definitely one of my all time favourites.

WampaX
2006-06-13, 12:15 PM
I though it was an okay game AT FIRST, but went really downhill after you kill Weigraff/Velious. I was also pretty damn pissed about Zalbag too.

Personal preferences, I can't speak for anyone else's taste. Just about everything clicked for me, in the game, so here it is, sitting at the top of my list. I still get it out about once a year.

Vagrant Story was fun as well . . . I just didn't play through it as many times . . . or own it, being a poor college student when it came out.

Zophiel
2006-06-13, 12:28 PM
By the time I beat the original Fallout, it had dethroned the original Legend of Zelda as my favorite video game of all time. I've enjoyed a mountain of games since Fallout (including its sequel and other titles under that franchise), but nothing has quite rivaled that magical experience.

A_Gray_Phantom
2006-06-13, 12:29 PM
All you youngin's are spoiled! What, with your fancy 100+bit systems and yer fancy shmancy ergonomic controllers. In my day, you played with a little rectangle until your thumbs bled. And if you wanted to play a different game, you had to walk fifteen miles, uphill, in the snow, without shoes, both there and back....

Okay, I'm really only 21 (my 21st birthday is this Friday!), but somebody has to give props to the old school zings...

Pong-The ORIGINAL video game. Originally conceived as a method to entertain bored patrons at a nuclear power plant.

Megaman-Check the link below. You have no idea how much you need this...

http://www.protomen.com/

DeathQuaker
2006-06-13, 12:36 PM
Nethack. ;D

(Okay, it isn't "the best" IMO, but I had to mention it. It is a damn good game.)

For PC: Planescape Torment
For Console: I'd be tempted to say Suikoden V if the recruitment hadn't been so damn frustrating. So... um.... I'll go with Katamari Damacy. :)

Akiosama
2006-06-13, 02:56 PM
So... um.... I'll go with Katamari Damacy. :)

Woot!

o/~ Na-naaa-nananana-na-na-na... Katamari Damacy... o/~

Too bad the sequels weren't as good...

But talk about a shot in the dark. I'm trying to imagine how the idea was even sold to Namco...

"Um... You see, there's this King... and he's, like, King of the Cosmos... and well, he gets drunk one night... and y'know, in his drunken stupor, he stumbles around and destroys all the stars in the universe... And well, he's got this son... a little guy... And the King... he makes his son go around, pushing on this katamari (yes, it's a real word in Japanese), and it picks up stuff... and when he collects enough stuff, it grows... and eventually his dad throws it back up into space to be a new star... Yeah, that's it... It'll be a bestseller!"

Who knew?

My 2, um, yen, yeah, that's it...

Game on, dude!

Akio

EDIT: Katamari - (n) lump; mass; clod; cluster. ;D

Tiferet
2006-06-13, 03:16 PM
Lets see...

Final Fantasy VII
Chrono Trigger
Baluder's Gate I and II
Kingdom Hearts I and II
Final Fantasy Tactics
Vagrant Story
The Godfather (yes, there is a video game)
Final Fantasy X

would have to be my top ten favorites

Forderz
2006-06-13, 03:19 PM
Super Mario RPG... Best game of all time. Tales of Symphonia, Super Smash, and Kirby Air Ride are up there too. And A Link to the Past. And Blast Corps. And Tatcis Orge: Knight Of Lodis... and Wc3... and.... PONG!!!!! Just kidding! :P

Jerthanis
2006-06-13, 04:07 PM
Hands down, Grandia 2. The best fighting system in any RPG until Grandia 3 (which only improved it slightly, and even then in subjective ways), great voice acting(freakin' Leonardo voice acts the main character), characters, storyline, plot. Only disadvantages are that the non vocal music loops too quickly and the dungeon design is sometimes straightforward.

Steal, pirate or murder to get this game, it's worth it.

Genome
2006-06-13, 06:33 PM
8 ) Alpha Centauri
YES! I was just playing that today, and I've been looking for the Alien Crossfire expansion. It's so expensive on ebay...

Fighting: Power Stone 2
Real-time Strategy: Warcraft 3
Turn-based Strategy: Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
RPG: Final Fantasy VI, Secret of Mana (You really can't compare the two.)
FPS: Jedi Outcast II (I just loved lightsaber dueling)
Action/Adventure: Sonic Adventure
Sports: Not a fan of most sports games, but I played 1080 Snowboarding for a long time.
MMORPG: World of Warcraft, but that isn't saying much.
Puzzle: The Incredible Machine 2
Flight Sim: X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter
Some other goodies: Kirby Super Star, Golden Sun 1 and 2, Mario 64, Commander Keen series, Tyrian, Knights of the Old Republic, Starcraft, Doom, Mario Teaches Typing :P... More added as I think of them.

Sneak
2006-06-13, 09:34 PM
Monkey Island! Woohoo!

Kishkumen
2006-06-14, 03:05 AM
Descent 2 and 3.
Warbirds
Escape Velocity
Race Drivin'
Street Fighter II

DeathQuaker
2006-06-14, 07:25 AM
Woot!

o/~ Na-naaa-nananana-na-na-na... Katamari Damacy... o/~

Too bad the sequels weren't as good...

Is there more than 1 sequel? I quite liked We Heart Katamari. I was actually having trouble deciding between the original and the sequel; the second game has more variety, but there's a "purity" of the first game that edges it out. That and the essential role of the creepy Hoshino girl.

On one hand, I agree with you about the pitch, but on the other hand.... it comes from Japan, where we get robot pet dogs and tongue cleaners on toothbrushes. Really, it doesn't surprise me much.

SilveryCord
2006-06-14, 09:49 AM
Fighting: Super Smash Brothers Melee
Real-Time Strategy: WarCraft III
Turn-Based Strategy: Advance Wars: Dual Strike
FPS: Killer 7
RPG: Final Fantasy X or Kingdom Hearts. And yes, I *liked* X.
MMORPG: Phantasy Star Online, best. online. game. ever.
Side-scrollers: Anything mario...
Adventure: Zelda: Wind Waker.
I like a lot of games people hate because "they don't have good enough gameplay" or whatever. I'm an artist, so I like FF:X because of the style, and Wind Waker, BECAUSE it was cel-shaded. (Which not many people liked O_o)
Katamari Damacy is THE best game, though. You can't really categorize it into anything...

Akiosama
2006-06-14, 12:43 PM
Is there more than 1 sequel?

I don't know if it's a sequel or not, but there IS a PSP version of Katamari Damacy as well... I haven't heard ANYTHING about it, and that makes it automatically worse than the original, since I heard tons about the original when it was released. ;D

But yeah, I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for the idea pitch of Katamari Damacy. I wonder how 'on the line' the job of the person who approved it was? :P

Funny thing, the 'Katamari on the Rocks' (opening music for Katamari Damacy) was put on the Japanese version of Taiko no Tatsujin (Taiko Drum Master - I don't know if the song was on the US release), and is that song difficult. Weird rythmic patterns, the funky singing in the back, and the quick tempo all make for a weird, frustrating, fun experience. That one's a pretty good music game, too. (7 discs in Japan and counting!)

My 2 yen,

Game on!

Akio

Jibar
2006-06-14, 12:47 PM
Twilight Princess
Kingdom Hearts II
Just because I don't have them, doesn't mean they aren't the best.

Archonic Energy
2006-06-14, 02:58 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=other_gaming;action=display;num=1133 724563
This has beed discussed before but my answer hasn't changed

Master Of Orion 2: Battle At Antres
MOO2:BAA

Deleran
2006-06-14, 03:33 PM
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Its not my favorite, but I believe it to be the best, simply because you could recommend it to anyone, anywhere, at any time, knowing full well that they would enjoy it. It transcends gaming, imo.

Charity
2006-06-15, 06:59 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=other_gaming;action=display;num=1133 724563
This has beed discussed before but my answer hasn't changed

Master Of Orion 2: Battle At Antres
MOO2:BAA

Much better than it's predecessor and that plain awful follow up

Ok
Micro machines V3 is the greatest party game ever, no arguments please.
has anyone else played Herzog Zwei for the old Sega megadrive? surely the first ever console RTS.
Also has anyone played blaze and blade if so what does the misty amulet do?

Akiosama
2006-06-15, 12:08 PM
has anyone else played Herzog Zwei for the old Sega megadrive? surely the first ever console RTS.

Heya Charity,

Gotta argue with the first one. Best party game ever - Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure on the GC - especially if you've got cut-throat, Munchkin/HackMaster loving friends who's favorite goals in life are to torch the other players with the Fire Rod, or bomb them with Bombs, while supposedly working together to solve the stage... ;D

And I've played Herzog Zwei, but I don't remember it much, except for the name... It's been soooo long.

My 2 yen,

Game on!

Akio

LooseCannon
2006-06-15, 01:12 PM
Chrono Trigger. The best game ever. I have played it through 37 times to date, working on #38 as we speak. What an amazing game.

For PC? Tough call. Age of Empires II - The Age of Kings with expansion is likely my favourite, though.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-06-15, 01:23 PM

YES! I LOVE HERZOG ZWEI!!!

Jibar
2006-06-15, 01:23 PM
Gotta argue with the first one. Best party game ever - Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure on the GC - especially if you've got cut-throat, Munchkin/HackMaster loving friends who's favorite goals in life are to torch the other players with the Fire Rod, or bomb them with Bombs, while supposedly working together to solve the stage... ;D

Agree wholeheartedly.
I've done it with just my one friend who has a Gameboy as well ( :P ) and gave him all three and ran around as green by myself.
End of every level, we'd have a fight to decide who was best.
Safe to say, I usually had the most force gems.
Bwahahaha...

Saithis Bladewing
2006-06-15, 01:27 PM
Heya Charity,

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=105 ;D

Tom_Violence
2006-06-15, 05:28 PM

I've always been torn between that and Bomberman, personally.

Amiria
2006-06-15, 06:36 PM
RPG: Plancescape Torment

Fighter: Soul Calibur 3

Krade
2006-06-15, 11:29 PM
Multiplayer: Super Bomberman for SNES. No game will ever be more fun than 4 people trying to blow eachother up in a tiny 2D room.

FPS: Timesplitters 2 & 3. Why? Because the map editor adds near infinite replay value. If Halo had a map editor, I'd never stop playing it. Ever.

Simulator: THE ENTIRE ARMORED CORE SERIES except Nine Breaker. The only game series that will always maintain my complete loyalty. Coolest mech game ever. All other mech games are for losers. And Last Raven just came out and I bought it today and I'm thoroughly enjoying myself with that.

RPG: I'll list them in order.
1)FFVI
2)Xenogears
3)FFVII
4)Legend of Dragoon
5)KotOR 1&2

Action: God of War. Seriously. It's the only game where you want the naked chicks OFF the screen so you can continue to kick ass.

RTS: Starcraft. Hands down. Never will there be an RTS better and more original than Starcraft. It was released 8 or 9 years ago and it's still the best, just like it always will be.

There's my list. I really don't play the other genres too much. But that's it.

Charity
2006-06-16, 06:09 AM
I've always been torn between that and Bomberman, personally.

Bomberman a good game, neigh a great game.
But V3 came out in 98 and I'm still regularly playing in in multiplayer verses, eight years of continious play
V3 rocks!

sapphail
2006-06-16, 12:07 PM
Man, it's been ages since I posted here, good to see some of us remember the old school games of yore...

My favourites from the Sega Mega-Drive days:
Golden Axe, I & II
Streets of Rage, all of them
Prince of Persia (this is where it all began... memories...)
Castlevania: New Generation

I tried to like Chakan: The Forever Man but couldn't bloody get anywhere.

More recently (a bit), Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, PS1 (classic), BloodRayne (is the second one any good?) and that snowboarding game whose name I've forgotten.

Oh yeah, and Tetris ;)

Tom_Violence
2006-06-16, 12:58 PM
Bomberman a good game, neigh a great game.
But V3 came out in 98 and I'm still regularly playing in in multiplayer verses, eight years of continious play
V3 rocks!

I think the problem that I always had with Micro Machines was that I redefined bad driving everytime I tried to play it. There's only so much spinning off the edge of a table and ending up in a bin that one person can take. My mates seemed to find it fantastic after-pub entertainment though, quite possibly due to my massive failings at it. :P

Were-Sandwich
2006-06-16, 02:42 PM
Legacy of Kaine: Soul Reaver. Coolness, Overload!

InaVegt
2006-06-16, 02:57 PM
PONG

TheJackal
2006-06-19, 12:04 PM
The number one, best ever all time video game would have to be Starcraft, by Blizzard games. While it's not the first real time strategy game out there, it is the ultimate expression of the genre, and has yet to be surpassed, in terms of balance, dynamics and sheer fun.

I'll give an honorable mention to Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, and the expansion, Alien Crossfire, designed by Brian Reynolds. It's the game that I can never seem to stop playing.

Dudukain
2006-06-19, 12:59 PM
Threads of Fate for the Playstation

Awesome music, cool storyline, good characters.

Man, I've beaten that game ATLEAST 5 times.

le_Chimmo
2006-06-20, 03:18 AM
Fighting: Bushido Blade 2, plain and simple.
FPS: Doom 2
Horror: Silent Hill
Side-scroller: Mega Man 2

NeonBlack
2006-06-21, 05:02 AM
Oookay, let's see...

Good ol' arcade era: Bank Panic, Asteroids, Centipede, Mario Bros.

8-bit computers: Anything made by Konami for the MSX, most notably King's Valley, Knightmare, Konami Tennis, F1 Spirit and The Goonies. Oh, and The Sentinel. Which wasn't made for the MSX. Bastards >:(.

Kind-of-Modern age: Time to split by genres!

- FPS: Doom 2, Duke Nukem 3D, Half-Life 2.
- TBS: Master of Magic (me wants a sequel NOW!), Civilization 2, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, Space Empires IV (V is coming, yay!).
- RTS: Warcraft 2.
- RPG: Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2 (3 sucked), the SSI Gold Box games, Lands of Lore, Baldur's Gate 2.
- Console RPGs: Chronotrigger, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Phantasia.
- Adventures: Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island 2, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Space Quest IV.
- Platformers: Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario Land 2 (best Mario ever, IMHO).
- Fighting: Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Garou: Mark of the Wolves.
- Space sims: TIE Fighter, Freespace 2, Frontier.
- Sports: Sensible Soccer, Championship Manager 01/02.
- Driving: MicroProse F1 Grand Prix.

And if I had to pick one from this bunch... yeah, why not. Master of Magic.

Razwaltz_Zegreiart
2006-06-21, 07:08 AM
Hah.

The best games ever to exist are:

Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Earthbound, Chrono Cross, Halo and Halo 2, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Final Fantasy IX, Metroid, Super Metroid, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Fallout, Fallout 2 and Pong.

Jack_Banzai
2006-06-21, 04:39 PM
2D Fighting: King of Fighters series, notably King of Fighters '97.

3D Fighting: Tekken 5.

Strategy: Tie between Warlords II (PC) and Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII (PS2).

Turn-based RPG series: Shin Megami Tensei series, notably Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga I and II, and the three Revelations: Persona games. Final Fantasy is a great franchise, but anybody who calls them 'the best' hasn't played the SMT games.

FPS: Goldeneye (N64).

Survival Horror: Resident Evil 4.

Sports: NBA Maximum Hangtime (N64).

2D Adventure: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

3D Adventure: Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Music: Guitar Hero.

Dance: DDRMAX2 (PS2).

Brawler: I have to say that Marc Ecko's Getting Up has pretty lousy reviews considering how damned addictive and fun that game actually is.

Adaptation of tabletop RPG: Shadowrun (SNES). It's not a good adaptation but it's a terrific game. Runner Up: AD&D Gold Box series by SSI for the PC.

MMORPG: City of Heroes.

Stealth action: Metal Gear Solid.

Light gun: Elemental Gearbolt.

Party game: Alien Hominid (4-player PDA games, Gamecube).

Racing game: Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (PS2).

Overall favorite game of all time that I could play over and over again without getting bored: Final Fantasy Tactics for the PSOne. Awesome. Simply awesome.

theswarm
2006-06-22, 12:01 AM
Super Mario Sunshine, Soulcaliber 2, The Incredible Hulk; Ultimate Destruction, and all the Fire Emblem games, especily Path of Radience (Naruto 4 for the gamecube too)

potatocubed
2006-06-22, 09:05 AM
Shining Force!

Old school!

I preferred the second one, because the a) AI was better and b) it had a character called MR. LEMON in it. Yes, in caps.

But my favourite video game ever?

Tricky... but I think I'm going to have to go with BG2. No other game has ever prompted me to skip a week of school. And several meals. ::)

Honourable mentions to EDIT about eight hundred other games, which I'm not going to list. I like video games, K? :)

Psiwave
2006-06-22, 09:28 AM
oooh, tricky one

Platform : super mario bros 3 or sonic 3 and knuckles (i beat myself up over that one)

FPS: It's new, but FEAR, awesome or mabie half-life

Strategy: Total Annihilation. first P.C game i bought, still play it. Dungeon keeper 2 is awesome too!

RPG, Oblivion is currently my fravourate, but i always go back to 'Secret of mana' on my snes.

ok, so thats actually two for each, but tough!

Umbilical_Lotus
2006-06-23, 01:14 AM
God damn you people! Planescape: Torment! It's awesome in just about every way a game can be! It wants your soul! GIVE YOUR SOUL TO PLANESCAPE!

Erhem.

Console RPG laurels go to Breath of Fire 4, one of the most polished and enjoyable RPGs I've played on a console to date. The story was compelling, the villain sympathetic and smart (and the REAL villainous ******** actually loathsome and intelligent), the visual style absolutely smashing (the entire game looks like a watercolor painting!), and just... everything fits. Highly reccomended. Sad that Dragon Quarter was nigh-unplayable, I love the Breath of Fire series.

belul_kegbreaker
2006-06-23, 06:20 PM
best game for its age: Lunar silver star story

fav right now is: Shadow Hearts

best multi player: Smash bro's

best shoter: Perfict Dark

best portible: final fantasy tactacs advanced

;D

Katonta
2006-06-26, 02:21 PM
Startopia has to be one of the best! The referances to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and VAL gave enough humor to make it superb. To bad Mucky Foot went bankrupt before they could make a Startopia 2.

On a different note, CURSE YOU KATAMARI DEMACY FOR ONLY RELEASING IN JAPAN!!! Atleast I think it was only released in Japan. But We Heart/Love Katamari was still pretty fun and gets my choice as best videogame.

A few other games that deserve honerable mention: Starcraft:Brood War, my next best after We Heart/Love Katamari. Fallout but not Fallout 2, I just couldn't get into it like I did with Fallout. Civ is on top of my list for old games. I mean, come on, who doesn't want to be King Abe Lincolin of the United States, or President Napoleon of France.

Akiosama
2006-06-26, 02:23 PM
Nope. Katamari Damacy was released by Namco here in the U.S. at a very reasonable $29.99 price on day one. You should be able to find a copy for that or less these days.

It's much better, IMO, than We <3 Katamari. Haven't tried the PSP version yet.

My 2 yen,

Game on!

Akio

Katonta
2006-06-26, 02:51 PM
Nope. Katamari Damacy was released by Namco here in the U.S. at a very reasonable $29.99 price on day one. You should be able to find a copy for that or less these days.

That is very nice to hear, and right in time for my sister's birthday! ;)

Along with We <3 Katamari, this should make for a very exciting B-day for her. And for me. ;)

eggy_goodness
2006-06-27, 02:16 PM
I would say Warcraft 3 for best game overall

However, theif 2 deserves mention, as does Doom 3 and RE 4 ("I hear a chainsaw! AAA! I am turning off the gamecube!!")

Closet_Skeleton
2006-06-29, 03:04 PM
If you're listing favourites by genre then Metal Gear Sold cheats (despite in no way needing to) by having it's own genre as it's subtitle. I mean, stealth action games, but no other game claims tobe "TACTICAL ESPIONAGE STEALTH ACTION!!!!!!!!!!" or whatever it is. I liked Warcraft III, I thought it was only average then I went back to Starcraft and saw how much smoother it had become. I never saw a 3D fighting game, just 2D ones where the 2D plane you're on moves about in a 3D environment.

I liked Thief II and Deadly Shadows, never played Dark Project except for a demo though. I would say that Deadly Shadows was better than the Metal Age though even though it sucked how suddenly all the high Steampunk just disapeared because Karas got rusted. That may just be a case of better graphics and more recently in my mind though.

I find it interesting that a lot of people are saying Doom II, I mean, I preffered Doom Is levels. Maybe it is just that once you've added everything that Doom II lacked (more in depth plot and free look around) then there's no way you can make an FPS better.

CannibalGnome
2006-06-29, 08:59 PM
AoE, despite its flaws, defined the RTS genre for me and began my interest in games.

Morrowind and KOTOR as well, for they were among the first RPGs I played.

ElToddo
2006-06-29, 09:18 PM
I'm not going to say these are the best Videogames ever, but they are my favorites.

#1: X:Com UFO Defense: (PC)
X:Com is a turn based unit based stradegy game from the early 90's. It is the best balance of simplistic ideas and complex stratedgy. It is one of those rare games where you are constantly doing the same thing, but it never gets repeatitive.

#2: Super Mario Kart/Mario Kart Double Dash: (SNES/Gamecube)
The Mario Kart series is some of the best multiplayer action ever. I have spent hours upon hours playing this game with my friends. It just doesn't get anymore fun.

#3: Winning Eleven 8: (X-Box)
Winning Eleven 8 is my favorite sports game of all time. It narrowly beat out NHL 93 and Tecmo Bowl. Playing with a friend on the same team is a lot of fun. Generally I prefer playing games with a friend than by myself and it really is a lot of fun two player.

#4: Tengen Verison of Tetris: (NES)
The Tengen version had multiplayer, the NES verison didn't. It is worth the extra 45-50 dollars.

#5: Contra: (NES)
Contra was one of my favorite games when I was a kid. I think it is one of the best sidescrollers ever (It probably isn't as good as Metal Slug or some of the Mario games). It's pretty easy, short, and you can play with a friend. It was the first game that really blew me away. For sentimental value, it earns the fifth spot on my list.

#6: Wing Commander (SNES/PC)
Wing Commander is one of the best space flight games ever made. It has been a longtime favorite of mine. I haven't played any of the sequels, and prefer to stick to the origional.

#7: Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
This is the best Zelda game ever made in my opinion. I just feel the gameplay is a lot more solid than in newer titles.

#8: Magic Online (PC)
I think this is the best online game. I've played World of Warcraft and FFXI and a bunch of those games. They don't stack up to a good game of Magic with a complete stranger.

#9: Civilzation II (PC)
I think Civilzation II is the best of the Civilzation series. I prefer the simplier gameplay. I don't know why, I just do.

#10: Gran Turismo 4 (PS2)
I think that Gran Turismo 4 is reason alone to own a PS2. It is probably the best racing game not starring Mario. Plus you get tons and tons of gameplay out of it. I mean, if you want to collect all the cars prepare to spend a lot of time playing this game. The two-player mode isn't great, but the single player mode is enough to warrant this game being in my top 10.

Honorable Mentions:
Warcraft II (PC)
Starwars Battlefront 2 (X-box)
Metal Gear Series (NES, PS, PS2)
Phantasy Star Online (Dreamcast)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade)
Maniac Mansion (NES)
Vandal Hearts 2 (PS)-If you liked Final Fantasy Tactics, you'll love Vandal Hearts 2 (Skip on Vandal Hearts 1, it sucks)

Lawful_Stupid
2006-06-29, 09:48 PM
RPG: A huge mix of Kingdom Hearts 2, Final Fantasy 9, Tales of Symphonia, Super Mario RPG and Golden Sun: The Lost Age.

Action/Adventure: Super Mario 64 and Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Two out of the three greatest N64 games (Super Smash Bros is the third).

FPS: Metroid Prime. I still get a kick out of killing Ridley again and again, plus it was nice to see Metroid in 3D.

Shooter: Star Fox 64. Shooting down Slippy is a lot of fun.

Racing: Mario Kart 64. The only complaint was Rainbow Road's walls.

Multiplayer: Any game capable of using Nintendo WiFi Connection.

Fighting: Super Smash Bros. Melee. Nuff said.

Side-Scroller: Super Mario Bros. You can't beat the classic.

Dunno What Genre It Is: MegaMan Battle Network 2&3. The Styles were good, but then Capcom had to go and kill it with the Souls for 4 and 5. 6 at least is tolerable with the Crosses and Beast Out.

Charity
2006-06-30, 09:02 AM
Any of you guys who have voted for Civ I,II etc.
I implore you to take a look at Masters of Orion 2 or MOO2 a great game we discussed it ohh way back (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=other_gaming;action=display;num=1135 389131)

http://www.fiery-foods.com/images/ed/calabria2005/nini_icetart.jpg
chilli icecream Mmmm

Archonic Energy
2006-06-30, 09:45 AM
ahh those were the days...

ElfLad
2006-06-30, 04:23 PM
Turn-Based RPG: A huge mix of Final Fantasy 9, Tales of Symphonia, Super Mario RPG and Golden Sun: The Lost Age.

Real-Time RPG: Kingdom Hearts 2. The original doesn't make it since it did not have Jack Sparrow. *Hums "He's a Pirate"*

Tales of Symphonia is turn-based... :o Did we play different Tales of Symphonias?

Lawful_Stupid
2006-06-30, 04:45 PM
Oops. I'll fix that.

larnman2
2006-06-30, 06:01 PM
simtower is great... If only i could find it again :-[

Two_the_Druid
2006-06-30, 08:02 PM
I have a few favorite games: Chrono Trigger, FF6, Master of Orion 2, Starcraft, Grandia, Suikoden and I can't think of others, but there are others tied for first in my book

Delcan
2006-07-01, 04:04 PM
FPS Love: Thief 1, 2, and the unofficial 2X "Shadows of the Metal Age". Haven't played Deadly Shadows, and I can only pray that it's as awesome as what Looking Glass created. I'd have to say the most pants-wettingest moment I've ever experienced in gaming would be the beginning of Thief 2's final level, when Karras' voice blares over the loudspeakers with that sudden screech and tinny voice, and tells you exactly how badly you're screwed...

And I have to give a little bit of love to Rise of the Triad: Dark War by Apogee. Sure, the graphics were dated compared to Doom at the time, but it was a cheezy geekfest action movie to play, from start to finish. And the music... oh, the music. Perfect in every way.

RPG: Final Fantasy Tactics. Sure, you need a doctorate in literature to grasp everything that's going on at once, but it's an intensely gripping story. I don't wanna give away too many spoilers for those who haven't had the pleasure, but the parts involving Wiegraf, Dycedarg, and Vormav are beautiful in their own twisted, disturbing ways.

HomerHT
2006-07-02, 09:40 PM
Shining Force 2 or Skies of Arcadia. I've never been able to decide which I like more, but I do know that they're tied for the best game ever.

Spuddly
2006-07-02, 10:38 PM
Resident Evil 2 is an all time classic for the PS1. I liked it much better than RE2. Zombie infested Racoon City? Yes please!

Resident Evil 4 was really sweet, and absolutely gorgeous to look at. Not *quite* as classic as RE2 though

Nyello
2006-07-03, 01:28 PM
FPS: Half-Life series
RPG: Baldur's Gate 2 SoA, I guess but Fallout 2 is a close second
Stealth: Thief 3 (I had to mention this one)
OLD: Super Mario Bros. (This game rules :))
These are my favorites.

StGlebidiah
2006-07-03, 06:03 PM
Chronotrigger!

And FFIII/VI. And Super Bomberman whatever-number-it-was-that-didn't-suck.

Capcom vs. Marvel games were fun.

Eriol
2006-07-03, 08:26 PM
Overall, no categories, but just straight-out the best Videogame Ever: Tetris.

What other game, released 20 YEARS after it initially was, with near-zero gameplay changes will still sell hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of copies? Every other historic game would need to essentially be re-invented, but not Tetris. And virtually anybody can pick it up.

As for the other games, I'm glad a few at least mentioned quite-possibly the best console game ever (with the exception of Tetris of course): Chrono Trigger. It just blows every single other console RPG (and pc RPG) out of the water, and even beats it's successor because it had a story you could actually understand (try reading the plot summary (http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Chrono_Cross_Condensed_Plot_Summary.html) over at chronocompendium, and that only scratches the surface of the weirdness), and you felt for ALL of the characters in the story, even most of the villians.

There are many other honorable mentions, most of which have been mentioned here, but Chrono Trigger just destroys them all for being a top-quality game that has yet to be equalled.

AmberVael
2006-07-03, 11:08 PM
Vectorman. Because old Sega Genesis games rock.

sin_sephiroth
2006-07-11, 10:55 AM
mmm. FF7 is up there (i hope the picture didnt give it away...), cuz sephiroth is the shiz. also, oot (no s) was a great game, and ive beaten it more times than i can count. revenge of shinobi was a fantastic game, although that last maze level was very very very very very very VERY frustrating. starcraft is definately up there, somewhere.... and last of all, the game that raised me to the power leveler i am today, (please dont laugh) pokemon red ::)

Dancing_Zephyr
2006-07-12, 04:25 AM
FF5 for the win!
2nd place: FFT
Gauntlet (arcade version) is third.

On a related note, (hopefully there isn't a thread for this already) what is your least favorite game?

Mine is Front Mission 4 (urg so slow).

darkbolt
2006-07-12, 12:27 PM
i know this game isn't out yet but it looks damn good already and it's super smash bros. Brawl if you havent seen the trailer here it is>>http://media.wii.ign.com/media/748/748545/vids_1.html and click on the first video

General Leitmann
2006-07-12, 10:48 PM
Best RPG - ESIII: Morrowind. It lacks visual awesomeness, but you can actually do WHATEVER you want, unlike Oblivion.

FPS - Halo2

RTS - Dawn of War: Winter Assault (though I play Warhammer and Warhammer 40k, so i'm biased.

Deepblue706
2006-07-13, 05:10 PM
Morrowind was pretty badass. I had a ridiculous character specialized in destruction magic, had maxed out large sword skill, and was a master of lockpicking. I also always wore the heaviest armor. I basically did everything, except for using bows. Fireballs were good enough.

I also don't think there was a single house or store I didn't rob.

AmbrMerlinus
2006-07-14, 09:57 PM
For me, it's a toss-up between GoldenSun2 and ElderScrollsIII:Morrowind. GoldenSun is the best RPG on the GameBoy, and I think it's the best RPG on any Nintendo system, ever. Morrowind gets a high rating because I personally find it very immersive, so much that I find myself whimpering over character death.

epiclvlpirateninja
2006-07-18, 01:12 PM
Planescape Torment has not been mentioned enough, here. Shame, because it blows all that other stuff out of the water. Not even FF7 or the Baldur's gate or Fallout series could compare in terms of story, dialogue, characters - all the stuff that you want in an RPG.

For shooters, I'm going with Half-Life 2.

Chris_Chandler
2006-07-19, 03:54 PM
I can't possibly divide by genre, because most of the games I play are either slow tactical games or rpgs. Shooters and fighters - not for me. So...

Planescape: Torment - Best story and character driven rpg to date. Really solid. The story is what does it. If you haven't played it, you ought to.

Fallout 2 - Took what the first one did and made it shine. Post Op at it's finest. Great gameplay and great story. The concept of the world, too, is just incredible. I want to play in that playground.

Master of Orion 2 - Deeper than the first, Just plain better than the third. I spent soo many hours on this game. I honestly don't know if there are better tac-space-sims out there, but I sure enjoyed the crap out of this one.

Sword of Aragon - This the best wargame ever put on a computer. No, it's better than that one. Better than that one, too. It is now for free and <1MB - play it. I still do.

Magic Candle I - My favorite RPG. This has the deepest level of acutal plot of any rpg. It wasn't surpassed by it's sequels, and hasn't been surpassed by another title.

Magic Candle II - Now, this game comparitively is weak, when you put it up agains MC I, but it is still an amazingly good game in its own right. What it lacked in comparitive plot it made up for in gameplay and character growth.

Civ III - Civ II is awesome, I agree, but I like the improvements that III brought to the table. The expansion of city growth and the smarter AI really make the game a challenge.

Nethack - I... I really don't think there is an Amulet of Yendor... There - I said it! No... wait, baby, I didn't mean it... Please don't go. Sure... just one more time... stinking amulet of strangulation... Erm, I mean - yes. Painfully good game. It is all about the gameplay. The painful, addictive gameplay.

Gold Box Curse of the Azure Bonds (really, they were all wonderful, but CoAB moved the story along in the best way

Starcraft - I've done the RTS thing across a broad range, but I've come back only to AoE II and Starcraft. Starcraft, though, wins out. I like the issues of balance and challenge between the three races, and the stories are engaging and well thought out.

edit-

And holy crap how could I have forgotten Betrayal at Krondor?! Immersive storyline, compelling characters, and a solid interface, this was a great game. I finally got it back up and running for the wife (VDMS is a good thing). This is, bar none our game.

The_Shaman
2006-07-20, 05:43 PM
Too many... way too many. If I had to choose one, it would probably be BG II... If I had to choose one. But even among the RPGs, I can't not mention Torment, KotOR, Fallout or Bloodlines. Each of these games is great, and when you add ultra-classics like Command and Conquer, Starcraft, Red Alert (my personal favourite among RTSs), the Total War series, Master of Orion, Master of Magic, Civilization, Colonization, One Must Fall, Mortal Kombat, Monkey Island, Simon the Sorcerer, Grim Fandango (all hail Manny) and all the other great games it gets simply too much for one clear winner.

Edit: oh yeah, Betrayal at Krondor, and also Lands of Lore are quite good. Still, among the old RPGs and the like, no other game had quite the same feel as Knights of Xentar ;D

Duraska
2006-07-21, 03:50 PM
The best conole game ever is definitely Super Mario Bros. 3. When that game came out, EVERYONE played it (and only it) for a straight year. It really propelled console gaming into the fore-front of home entertainment. Suddenly you heard about video games on the nightly newscasts. People camped out for that game. You found Mario on EVERYTHING from sleeping bags to cereal. It was probably the single most important game in the history of console gaming.

As for computer gaming... that's pretty hard. But I think you can definitely pick out a few that will always be remembered:

Kings Quest 1 (extremely popular on the Apple 2e)

Doom (Single handedly made the FPS genre the most popular PC gaming genre. Alos ushered in the era of user-created mods (wads))

EverQuest (proved that MMORPGs can be cash-cows. WoW wouldnt exist if EQ hadn't been so successful)

Sim City Find someone who's never heard of Sim City.

Of course, the classics like pong, pac-man and frogger set the stage for the video game industry to succeed, but I still stand by Super Mario Bros. 3 being the most "important" (and therefore "best") video game ever released.

(My favorite games are the Quest for Glory Series, Civilization IV, Rome: Total War, Ninja Gaiden for Xbox and Halo, but I don't think any of those are the "best" games ever made from a non-personal standpoint).

Lord Magtok
2007-01-19, 09:20 PM
Vectorman. Because old Sega Genesis games rock.

Heck Yeah! Vectorman ruled! Was one of my first video games, and I still love that thing. He was prbably part of my inspiration to create a robot character in Town.

Man, that Vectorman could morph into anything! He even beat a robot with a nuke for a head in a big tornado thing!

Haruki-kun
2007-01-19, 11:15 PM
How can I possibly decide?????
Well, it's between these ones:
Kingdom Hearts (series)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Final Fantasy X
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Tales of Symphonia

I think I'd pick Kingdom Hearts, but it's a really tough choice XD.

Artanis
2007-01-20, 12:32 AM
The best game ever, without question, is X-Com: UFO Defense, with second place being System Shock 2. Anything else is lucky just to be in the picture.

Gralamin
2007-01-20, 01:45 AM
Come on, Everyone knows Starcraft is the best game ever.

Arlanthe
2007-01-24, 08:49 AM
FPS: Half-Life Series (Booooooooooo Halo! Boo dense, flat Fratboy FPS Halo!)
Old RPG: Secret of Mana
New RPG: Morrowind
Adventure: Ocarina of Time
Sport: Rock & Roll Racing- SNES
RTS: Myth series
Strategy: Civ series
MMO: WoW- despite all of the aggrivating stuff
Sim: (This spot reserved for Spore)

SandDemon
2007-01-24, 12:37 PM
The best game ever, without question, is X-Com: UFO Defense, with second place being System Shock 2. Anything else is lucky just to be in the picture.

Hell ya, can't agree more.

The Geomancer
2007-01-24, 12:43 PM
Earthbound. All the way.

Timberwolf
2007-01-24, 06:19 PM
For sheer magnificence and hours spent not being bored - FFVII. 1st Final Fantasy I ever played and I enjoyed it the most of any of the later ones

For RTS, Mechcommander 2. I prefered being able to customise my units and have pilots that grew with me as opposed to the mass of faceless units in CnC and the like. Plus I just plain like Battletech

TA also deserves an honourable mention

Shooting - Mechwarrior 4.

Driving - Gran Turismo 2. This game has still not been beaten as far as I'm concerned.

Civilisation Building. Never played Civilisation. Played a lot of Empire Earth though, which I like.

Sheer, mind numbing horror (and a damn good game to boot)- System Shock 2

Not a Paladin
2007-01-24, 10:47 PM
My top 10, as of now:

10. Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
An excellent RPG, with a pretty good story and some interesting characters.

9. Tales of Symphonia
One of the best RPGs on the Gamecube. This is truly a story that will live on forever.

8. Metroid Prime
A first person adventure game primarily, MP is a rare exception to my hatred of FPS games.

7. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Absolutely amazing. Not only did it look good, but it had great gameplay and an interesting story.

6. Final Fantasy VII
This game marked the point where RPGs stopped being cult classics primarily and started to have a great appeal to the masses. Great game, too.

5. Pilotwings
A fun game to just play when you're bored. This old flight simulator remains a great time-waster even to this day.

4. Super Smash Bros. Melee
This is one of the best games to play multiplayer on. There really is a certain charm to using your favourite Nintendo character to beat up a friend who is playing as his/her favourite Nintendo character.

3. Tales of the Abyss
Truly one of the best RPGs I've played. It's a shame it was so overlooked, though (I blame Namco's poor marketing strategy).

2. Chrono Trigger
If there was ever an RPG for everyone, this is it. A truly captivating story, an awesome battle system, and more endings than you can shake a stick at all combine to make CT worth your time (pun not intended).

1. Skies of Arcadia Legends
This is the Gamecube RPG. One thing that stands out about SoAL is that it's a really fun game. The world is very well-designed the music stands out as some of the greatest, and the airship battles are something else altogether.

Honourable mentions: Breath of Fire IV, Baten Kaitos Origins, Tales of Legendia, Chrono Cross

dead_but_dreaming
2007-01-25, 03:37 AM
I'm curious of what other people think is the best videogame thus far.

My personal favorite is probably Vagrant Story. The characters, the gameplay, the style, the atmosphere...it was all so perfect in my opinion. I wish I had it :(

close runner-ups:
Final Fantasy 6
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil

The Baldurs Gate Saga.

The Orange Zergling
2007-01-25, 03:57 AM
I dunno if I've posted in this thread before, I'm too lazy to check.

RTS (In the order they're typed in)
Command and Conquer
Dawn of War [and expansions, of course]
Starcraft: Brood War
Turn Based (In no particular order)
Moonbase Commander
Heroes of Might and Magic III [and expansions]
FPS (In no particular order)
Starwars: Battlefronts I
C&C: Renegade
Duke Nukem (for some reason I had access to this game via free demo or somesuch at age 5 or so... I had fun all the same.)

Destro_Yersul
2007-01-25, 04:46 AM
Spore. It isn't even out yet, and it is already the awesomest game ever.

The Orange Zergling
2007-01-25, 04:57 AM
Spore. It isn't even out yet, and it is already the awesomest game ever.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. And Assassin's Creed.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-01-25, 05:02 AM
Best game ever? Ristar, for the Sega Genesis. Gameplay, graphics, music, style, challenge... the best.

Best console ever? Sega Genesis. Still have it. Still play it. Still love it.

Most important game of my life? Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee. Early Oddworld turned me into the freak I am today.

Best PC game? Pathways into Darkness. Another game that warped me permanently. Marathon comes in a close second.

Best RPG? Legend of Legaia. I'll never stop loving this game. FFVII second, Pokemon silver/gold third.

Best FPS? Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. Took what Prime one did so well, and perfected it. Some next-gen games don't look as good as Echoes. Gorgeous.

Best horror game? Resident Evil 3: Nemesis. I have this game down to a science. My favorite RE game to date, and the best of the oldies.

Go play Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. Now.

And may Sonic the Hedgehog rest in peace... he's been dead to me for years. Sonic 1 through Sonic & Knuckles are the only games I consider real sonic games. Those were games you could point out to Nintendo fan boys, and be proud of your eternal loyalty to Sega... *sigh*

CockroachTeaParty
2007-01-25, 05:05 AM
Shining Force!

Oh man... how could I forget Shining Force? Oh man...

Draigo
2007-01-25, 09:35 AM
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, no question

Logic
2007-01-27, 05:33 PM
Logic's Picks

RPG
Baldur's Gate II
FPS
System Shock 2
RTS
C&C: Red Alert 2
TBS
Civilization 2
Platformer
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Fighting
Soul Calibur 2

(What is it with me and 2's?)

Sailacela
2007-01-28, 06:38 PM
The only way I can answer this it to put forth the games that have impacted me the most (read here "kings of time suckage").

Super Mario Bros 3
Final Fantasy II (US release number, dunno what it was in Japan)
Final Fantasy VII
Super Mario Kart
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Rogue Squadron
Everquest 2
Unreal Tournament
Tales of Symphonia

Edit: Just looked it up, FFII in the US was FFIV in Japan. It was my first FF game.

MellowMelon
2007-01-28, 10:11 PM
My favorite game has to be King's Quest 6. Few people know it but for a '92 game, it is so awesome. I almost cried when I found a windows version this year. "Alexander pulls out his magic map" Pure gold.

Cybren
2007-01-29, 01:41 AM
My favorite game has to be King's Quest 6. Few people know it but for a '92 game, it is so awesome. I almost cried when I found a windows version this year. "Alexander pulls out his magic map" Pure gold.
Indeed the kings quest series rocked and that was probably the best one. I liked 5 a good deal too.

Shikton
2007-01-29, 09:25 AM
Suikoden. None above, none beside. Go Suikoden! Played through the original countless times, and as soon as I get my PS2 back I'm gonna start up on the series again. Woo!

SandDemon
2007-01-29, 01:30 PM
Everquest 2

May god have mercy on your soul ;)

Dragor
2007-01-30, 12:52 PM
RPG - Baldurs Gate II
Multiplayer - Super Smash Bros. Melee (soon to be superseded by Brawl)
Action RPG - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Fighting - Street Fighter II
Hybrid - Deus Ex
RTS - Company of Heroes

Exachix
2007-01-30, 04:42 PM
Oh oh oh!

RTS :- Homeworld II. It's 3D strategy! That or Dawn Of War.
MMORPG :- Anarchy Online
RPG :- Baulders Gate II: Shadows Of Amn.
Space Sim :- Freelancer
FPS/Multiplayer :- Original Unreal Tournament
Sneaky game :- Thief II: The Metal Age
Flight game thing :- Rogue Squadron 3D

Captain van der Decken
2007-01-30, 04:47 PM
Hmm.

The Theif, Halo, Doom, or X-com Apocalypse series.

Deaddude
2007-01-30, 09:33 PM
Morrowind
The legend of Hero's
Diablo 2
World Of Warcraft
Halo & Brute Force
Soul Caliber 2
Warrior Kings: Battle
Halo
All Legend Of Zeldas

Only a VERY small sample of my favorite games!

theKOT
2007-01-30, 11:29 PM
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. The first game to include all the classic elements, and still my favorite application of them.

thegato
2007-01-31, 10:46 AM
Best video game ever... wow.. this could be a tough choice... I mean Id have to break it into catagories for sure...

Best Arcade... Im going to go with Samurai Showdown 3. I spent more time and money playing that than anything else ever.

Best console... Im going with Lunar. The best story, action, game play, and fun over all for a console rpg.

Best PC... Im going with Fallout 2 with Fallout 1 close behind. Hands down, the best RPG Ive ever played! I must have played through them each a dozen times at least.

Dragor
2007-01-31, 12:49 PM
Anyone ever played Skies of Arcadia for the Gamecube/Dreamcast? A console classic in it's own right. Brilliant storyline and gameplay....

wellington
2007-02-01, 09:19 AM
Showdown! Quest for Glory II vs. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis vs. Trinity vs. Half-Life vs. Starcraft vs. Chrono Trigger vs. Alpha Centauri! There be spoilers here, but they are silly spoilers.

In the Sierra camp, Quest for Glory II!

Space Quest IV was unpretentiously great, but Quest for Glory II was better, and had the best endgame ever. Leap off balconies! Duel your nemesis in a dramatic swordfight! Tiptoe across a tightrope while a sorcerer prepares to destroy the world before your very eyes! Unfortunately, the rest of the game, while grand, was too repetitive, and there was an dull stretch in the second half that was an unfathomably bad design move. Will the remake address this?

In the LucasArts camp: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis!

LucasArts games often suffered from TOO much self-aware trickiness; if a puzzle's needlessly frustrating, I don't care if it was brilliant after the fact. Fate of Atlantis dodged this bullet, had a clever multilinear design that let you choose your level of action, was endlessly adventure-y, and, um, gets disqualified on account of having a believably intellectual, cheerful, witty Indy. In short, this license demanded slightly more kick-ass; had it been Professor Challenger and the Fate of Atlantis, or something, it would be an undisputable champion.

In the Infocom camp: Trinity!

One of the most engaging games ever written - remarkable, given its lack of persistent characters. That said, "obscure game with a depressing ending and bizarre puzzles that require learning by death" is not all that likely to get general acclaim, so it's out of the running. But I love it anyway; what other game has you mirror-reverse the universe to fix a sundial, or defuse the first atom bomb ever built?

In the first-person shooter camp... yes, three adventures and one shooter; I'm an adventure gamer. In the first-person shooter camp... Half-Life!

Seeing that elevator fall? Watching Black Mesa collapse? Dealing with those clever grunts and that HELICOPTER? Pure greatness. But the last portions of the game were incomprehensible in a stupid way, not a "this is a strange and terrifying alien world" way, as was apparently intended. And the ending was a flop; Trinity set the bar high for unhappy endings. So, basically, this is the mirror image of Quest for Glory II. You feel like you're in a good action movie for most of the game.

On the RTS front: Starcraft!

The real brilliance came out in multiplayer mode, I think, when the exquisite play balance and addictive mechanics turned it into a generational addiction. The campaign mode plot was unengaging and it was a bit annoying playing the Zerg, but any plot in an RTS is a bonus, so I can't complain. That said, once you hit a certain point, strategy begins to give way to frantic button clicking, no matter how well you organize your units. Ah, well - it was a strategy game I played to the end.

On the console-RPG front: Chrono Trigger!

Pros: It played like the distillation of the daydreams of every kid on the planet. A swordsman, a robot, a princess, a cavewoman, a mad scientist, a talking frog knight, and his archnemesis, a sorcerer with a wicked scythe, travel through time to save the world from a killer alien meteor monster - IN THE FUTURE. And there are DINOSAURS. And cool combat and lots of hidden bits, of course.

Cons: The frustrating random combat element was reduced, but not eliminated, and, um, it played like the daydreams of every kid on the planet. It was freewheeling and epic and heroic and awesome incarnate, yes, but also melodramatic and pointlessly convoluted and hokey. Not sure if it's the best video game ever made, but it's probably the most video game-y video game ever made.

On the turn-based strategy front: Alpha Centauri!

I'm more of an adventure gamer than a strategy gamer, but I loved it - along with Rama, it was one of the few science fiction games to actually feel like good science fiction.Breadth, customizability, humor, addictiveness, and vision... And the scientists sounded vaguely like actual scientists might, and the ideals of the factions were respected (stereotyped, but ultimately respected), and... I mean, what else do you want? Sid Meier for the win.

"In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven."

(X-COM: UFO Defense is another strategy game that got me to cross the genre line, but it had no psychic worm colonies whatsoever. FAIL.)

Next up: Apples vs. Oranges vs. Jackrabbits vs. Pathos vs. Abraham Lincoln vs. Hand Grenades! WHICH IS BEST?

Lord Magtok
2007-02-01, 09:30 AM
And may Sonic the Hedgehog rest in peace... he's been dead to me for years. Sonic 1 through Sonic & Knuckles are the only games I consider real sonic games. Those were games you could point out to Nintendo fan boys, and be proud of your eternal loyalty to Sega... *sigh*

So true. *sigh* I still remember every single boss in the Sonic 3&K game.

Nowadays, sonic just stinks. He was better off before they started making him talk.

0wca
2007-02-01, 05:25 PM
PLANESCAPE: TORMENT.:tongue::tongue::tongue:

THE best game. Ever. EVER.

The story is well, undescribable in words. The characters are SO unique, and SO unusual. The graphical art (buildings, characters, spells,...) are beyond imagination. The music is by far THE best atmosphere in all of the games that I've played. The spells are certianly unseen before (VERY EXOTIC).

Unfortunately, not enough people have finished the game to realize this..

And also unfortunate is that THEY WERE GOING TO MAKE A SEQUEL, AND THEY LET IT GO!!!

Does anyone know who (person) is it who made this game (came up with the idea, etc.) ??

Sailacela
2007-02-01, 07:57 PM
May god have mercy on your soul ;)

Well, they don't call it Evercrack for nothing :smallbiggrin:

Koji
2007-02-01, 08:11 PM
X-com comes in first place, FFT a close second. Planescape: Torment is third.

Swordguy
2007-02-01, 10:24 PM
System Shock 2. Hands down the overall best game I've ever played. Other games may be better a a single certain element (graphics, story, character interaction), but SS2 has had the best integration of elements I've ever seen.

If you can look past the graphics issue, the game has aged quite well. Especially the first 80% of the plotline.

Varen_Tai
2007-02-01, 10:36 PM
PLANESCAPE: TORMENT.:tongue::tongue::tongue:

THE best game. Ever. EVER.

The story is well, undescribable in words. The characters are SO unique, and SO unusual. The graphical art (buildings, characters, spells,...) are beyond imagination. The music is by far THE best atmosphere in all of the games that I've played. The spells are certianly unseen before (VERY EXOTIC).

Unfortunately, not enough people have finished the game to realize this..

And also unfortunate is that THEY WERE GOING TO MAKE A SEQUEL, AND THEY LET IT GO!!!

Does anyone know who (person) is it who made this game (came up with the idea, etc.) ??

Quoted for absolute accuracy.

Jaysyn
2007-02-02, 03:28 PM
1) Planescape: Torment
2) Baldur's Gate I
3) Baldur's Gate II + ToB
4) Fallout 2
5) Jagged Alliance 2
6) Medieval: Total War
7) Desperados
8) Alpha Centauri
9) Heroes of Might & Magic 3
10) Shogun: Total War

Good choices!

416365416c
2007-02-09, 08:12 AM
My opinion is that Total Annihilation is currently the best videogame. It's only flaw is that its name is a little off-putting. Its many virtues include giving meaning to the existence of static defenses in RTS. If ever includes the future however, I may wish to wait, as TA's spiritual successor, Supreme Commander, is coming out shortly.

Even with a normal distribution of game quality, there are still many awesome games in existence. I agree with all the people vouching for the greatness of Planescape: Torment and Starcraft.

And if you don't have one of those fancy computers with a graphical user interface Nethack is another great game.

BrokenButterfly
2007-02-09, 10:47 AM
I can't deny it, for me the game that conjures up the most memories and love for my medium has always been The Legend of Zelda:Ocarina of Time. I might be biased since it's the first game I ever got, so long ago....but it has always been firmly nestled in my heart, after carving out a Master-Sword shaped grove.

Close behind are Majora's Mask, FF9 and FF7. Vying for the fifth position in my heirarchy are things such as Dark Chronicle, Timesplitters 2, Far-Cry and Shadow of the Colossus. But my top four have been set in stone for quite some time.

SMEE
2007-02-10, 10:37 AM
Ninja Gaiden Black is the best action game I've ever played. :)
I've been playing it and it only on my XBOX for well over 8 months. :D

Everto
2007-02-10, 02:03 PM
Halo 2 & Starcraft Brood War

'nuf said

rabish12
2007-02-10, 02:08 PM
Ninja Gaiden Black is the best action game I've ever played. :)
I've been playing it and it only on my XBOX for well over 8 months. :D
<3

I love that game.

J_Muller
2007-02-10, 11:41 PM
RTS: Hard to say. Some games are fun for a while, then get a bit tedious, such as Medevial 2: Total War or C&C Tiberian Sun. For sheer fun at all times and replayability, however, the top spot is taken by Kohan: Ahriman's Gift.
RPG: RPGs are a favority genre of mine, and I've played a lot of them. The choice, however, is startlingly clear: FFIX. No RPG I've played has ever rivaled FFIX in terms of fun. From the steampunk setting (which I admit I have a soft spot for), to the great music, to the beautifully created world, FFIX beats all contenders, even the much-vaunted FFVII (which I found enjoyable, to be sure, but not as much as FFIX).
Shooter: I must admit I haven't played many shooters, or even own many. As far as they go, however, I must nominate Jet Force Gemini, the best shooter I've ever played, and among the best games I've ever played.
Freestyle: Freelancer. An all-around good game.

Hmm... Those are kind of the only types of games I play.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-02-11, 03:58 AM
BEWARE, I LIVE!

Vix
2007-02-11, 04:28 PM
I still consider myself a nOOb in the video game sector, but my favorite games thus far are, in no particular order:
Valkyrie Profile (still haven't tried the 2nd one)
Dark Cloud 2
Suikoden 3 (though I still haven't beaten it)
Artilier Iris (is hilarious)
my 1st XBox game: Fusion Frenzy is still great at gatherings

Assasinater
2007-02-11, 05:09 PM
Well, these are what I consider the classics:

Baldur's Gate series,
Planescape: Torment
Fallout series,
Morrowind,
LucasArts adventures (almost all of them),
Half Life 1 (which beats the second game by far),
Command & Conquer series (especially the first games),
Hitman 1,
Heroes 3 (which beats 4 and 5 by far),
Might&Magic 6-7,
KotOR 1,
Europa Universalis 2,
Warcraft series,
Starcraft,
Xcom: Terror from the Deep,

And some that you probably didn't hear of:

ADOM,
Master of Magic,
Little Fighter 2,
Soldat.

Phew, that's a long list. Probably there are lots of games that I don't remember. Unfortunately, I never got my hands on System Shock 2 and Deus Ex, which I've heard are quite good too.

sapphail
2007-02-13, 09:50 AM
Nowadays, sonic just stinks. He was better off before they started making him talk.

Gah! No! Say it isn't true! A talking Sonic? I will never believe such a thing! He will remain pure in my memories! Noooooooo!!! :smalleek:

Calamity
2007-02-14, 10:13 AM
My list changes quite a lot but, here is my current top 10:

1: Kingdom Hearts 1 (PS2)
2: Final Fantasy 8 (PS1)
3: Empire Earth 2 (PC)
4: Urban Reign (PS2)
5: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones (PS2)
6: Burnout Revenge (PS2)
7: The Sims 2 (PC)
8: Halo 2 (X-box) [Despite not actually owning an X-box or 360 therefore having little chance to play, I still think this is a great game].
9: Dungeon Keeper 2 (PC)
10: Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (PS2)

And Others that didn't quite makethe Top 10 (No particular order):
GTA: San Andreas (PS2) (Loses it's appeal after a while)
True Crime: Streets of LA (PS2) (See above)
Theme Hospital (PC) (Old and fun game)
Myst (PC or PSP) (A good mystery/puzzle game, but can be very frustrating)
Sonic Jam (Sega Saturn) (This contains Sonic 1, 2, 3 and Sonic and Knuckles.)
Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2 (PS1 and PS2, respectively) (Mainly for confusing the guards, which is always fun)
Metal Gear Ac!d (PSP) (Interesting movement system makes this unique from other MG games, the storyline is kinda strange though)
Dynasty Warriors 3 and Dynasty Warriors 4 Empires (PS2) (otta be number 11 on my list, two great games, Empires lacks a co-op mode however, which is a shame, if it did I probably wouldn't include number 3 in this list)

Crystall_Myr
2007-02-16, 10:01 PM
1: Tales of Symphonia
2: Soul Calibur III
3: Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess
4: Guild Wars
5: Super Smash Brothers Melee

Woot Spitum
2007-02-17, 11:23 AM
Super Mario Brothers 3.

Runner-ups:
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Counter-Strike

Suraht
2007-02-20, 10:14 AM
BEWARE, I LIVE!

Run, coward! I hunger!

Great arcade game....probably the hardest one I ever played.

My favorites:

Arcade: Star Wars, the original vector graphics game from the early 80's. "I've lost R2!"

RPG: Can't choose just one here...Final Fantasy III/VI (SNES), Shadowrun (SNES or Genesis, different versions, both equally good), Dragon Warrior IV (NES), Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC)

FPS: Goldeneye (N64)

Sports: Tecmo Super Bowl (NES)

RTS: Starcraft: Brood War (PC)

Fighting: Super Smash Bros. Melee (GC), Combat (Atari 2600)

Turn based strategy: Romance of the Three Kingdoms series (Multiplatform)

Racing: F Zero X (GC)

Point and click adventure: Discworld (PS)

Rythym: Guitar Hero (PS2)

Action adventure: Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)

Survival Horror: Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (GC)

Justinian
2007-02-20, 05:59 PM
Final Fantasy IV > Final Fantasy VI

Vagrant Story is incredible, though, best RPG on the PSX.

Planescape: Torment, however, gets my nod for Best. Videogame. Evar.

TimeWizard
2007-02-20, 06:22 PM
hm, I would have saved FF7, but the newer stuff (maiden who travels the planet, on the way to a smile) is bringing it down. And Dirge just killed it.

So I'm going to nominate a total sleeper hit...

STEAMBOT CHRONICLES!
Only the best Action/Adventure/Mystery/Romance/Sandbox/Giant Robot/Musical game ever made. oh man, a sequal, a sequal....

Miklus
2007-02-26, 03:46 PM
The best game ever, without question, is X-Com: UFO Defense, <snip>

I just downloaded it as abandonware, and it still rocks! That turn-based battlescape never gets old for some reason and I keep comming up with new strategies.

Unfortunatly, it keeps crashing on me. But then again the original did that too. Does anyone know where to find a version that does NOT crash???

zeratul
2007-02-26, 03:48 PM
three words FINAL FANTASY SEVEN

Gorbash
2007-02-26, 03:52 PM
Planescape Torment, without any doubt.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-02-27, 02:02 AM
Final Fantasy Seven is overated. Final Fantasy 6 for the win.

David94
2007-02-27, 02:41 AM
Well, best multiplayer is Legend of Zelda: Four Swords, and best fighting game is Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Neuneck
2007-02-28, 08:37 AM
There are on different sectors:

Adventure: Zelda, Ocarina of time
Strategy: Civilisations III
Fight: Super Smash Brothers (the classic 1 on n64)
Arcade: Lylatwars
Online-Multiplayer: Diablo 2 (addicted 4 more than 3 years now)
Browser: Ogame
Selfmade: Puzzle V0.4 (:smallbiggrin:)

... that's it kinda

Druid
2007-02-28, 02:44 PM
I have to say Smash Brothers Melee, if for no other reason than that it has held my interest longer than any other game. Six years later and it's still fun.

Haruspex
2007-03-01, 05:13 AM
Of the ones I've played (not many, I confess): HALO 2.
Freelancer was pretty good too.

The Valiant Turtle
2007-03-01, 06:07 AM
Best game ever: Master of Magic

I just hope the rumors that Stardock is going to be making a sequel are true.

Healos
2007-03-01, 02:27 PM
RPG: Dongeon siege I, legand of arana, II
Action: Prince of persia 2
FPS defanley Halo I
RTS Battle for middle earth II
Multiplayer: Halo I
Console game: as I don't own a console system(but play them at friends houses) Halo II
MMORPG: WoW burning crusade

F34r +hy PC 94/\/\35iiii

Setra
2007-03-07, 03:43 PM
Xenogears.

Or Shadow Hearts.

Which is funny, because I have the most hours logged in Guild Wars, which isn't even on my top five.