PDA

View Full Version : 1001 ways to keep your GM happy

Iceforge
2010-10-14, 11:01 AM
1001 ways-threads seem to be popular at the moment and I think one of the most important things to know how to do, as a player, is how to keep a happy GM.

The GM is a finite resource and spends loads of his spare time planning things for the group, if he is not happy, it could turn bad for the entire group.

1. If the game is run at the GMs house, be sure that you and hopefully other players stay and help clean after the session, actually, stay and clean even if the host is not the GM!

2. If you and the other players are discussing a subject that bores the GM, consider if it could be handled by txt, email or forums between sessions instead.

3. Offer some snacks to the GM, if not to the entire table.

4. Come prepared, have your sheets, dice, pen and paper ready for a session and be excited: Nothing can make a GM unhappy as a group of players who does not seem excited when they come to a session.

5. Offer to help keep track of things: No reason why the GM has to be the one keeping track of initiative every time, can take a load of him.

6. Always keep track of your own spells unless some player keeps track of all spells: This is mostly relevant in combat situations, where lot of buff spells should be in effect for a short duration.

7. However much you like it, avoid stacking dice at the table. It makes you seem bored and disinterested in what is happening and will be interpreted by the GM as a sign of displeasement with his work, stop doing it

dsmiles
2010-10-14, 11:03 AM
8. Bring yummy noms.

Amphetryon
2010-10-14, 11:06 AM
9. Put away the cell phone and other electronic devices you're not actively using for the game. It doesn't matter how well you think you multitask, it distracts you and everyone else at the table, and makes you come off as disinterested in the game.

10. Make at least a passing effort to work with the GM and other players to forward an actual plot, even if it's not the one the GM might have originally considered. Doing otherwise forces combat in unlikely situations so the GM can keep the game moving and maintain player focus.

Il_Vec
2010-10-14, 11:10 AM
11. During character creation, take what the DM will think into account, and don't insist on points he already banned.

Dienekes
2010-10-14, 11:13 AM
12. Give constructive criticism, but understand that the game is for all the players not just you to spotlight how awesome your new character is

13. 8 cannot be emphasized enough.

dsmiles
2010-10-14, 11:16 AM
14. Offer to take some of the work off his/her hands, like keeping track of initiative order in large combats.

Tira-chan
2010-10-14, 11:17 AM
15. If the GM does make a mistake, correct him politely and quietly, don't make a big fuss out of it.

16. Always be open to application of Rule 0, even if it contradicts RAW.

17. Respect the GM's decisions, even if they interfere with something you really want to do.

18. Let the GM settle issues himself; don't chime in with "helpful" rules advice, or cite your personal experience. You may think you're lending a hand, but it comes off as undermining his authority.

19. If there's a new player who's struggling with something, give them a hand instead of making the GM explain everything to them.

Duke of URL
2010-10-14, 11:24 AM
0. Stay on the railroad tracks! (:smallbiggrin:)

Seriously, though:

20. Remember that the GM is not "the enemy", even though (s)he is handling the enemies' actions.

big teej
2010-10-14, 11:40 AM
I personally think this has its place near the top (if not THE top) of every list. ever.

DON'T BE STUPID
this means do NOT smite 'the evil penny' found amidst the treasure in the first dungeon crawl.... especially you mister gnome paladin...:smallfurious:

NotScaryBats
2010-10-14, 11:41 AM
21. Think about what you will do when your initiative comes up, and don't respond to 'its your turn, what do you do?' with 'Oh yeah? Um, let me think . . .'

togapika
2010-10-14, 11:54 AM
22. Don't make a character purposely to make the Dm's head hurt...

Aotrs Commander
2010-10-14, 01:48 PM
23: When the DM pulls out an adventure path entitled "the Mountains of Mourning", with several pages of additional notes to help him navigate through the epic adventure, that pits the heroic party against the political and megalomanical machinations of the evil Lord HackBastard and his Mourning Hordes to save the world, world supplements for the region around the mountains, has had you use the Mountains of Mourning player's guide to generate your characters background and so on, it is generally considered poor form for the first words out of your mouth upon starting the game to be "these mountains sound boring, let's blow this place and go to the Forest of Fiddlesticks (on the other side of the world) and dig for treasure and rob merchants and stuff!"

23a: It is, however, considered justifiable homicide, once someone has finally dislodged the blood-and-brain spattered DMG from the interior recess of your empty skull.

24: Fumble often, critical rarely. All DMs like to watch the PCs blunder about and do themselves a mischief.

25: Learn to translate DM-speak properly; "Are you really?" said in that particularly flat, disbeliving tone does not in fact mean the DM is flabberghasted by your awesomeness, but that you are about to do something so mind-splinteringly stupid, the mindless creatures are going "that guy's an idiot" and that you are about three seconds from death. (Yours or your character's, possibly both.)

aquaticrna
2010-10-14, 02:01 PM
26: keep track of all your various bonuses, buffed, unbuffed, half-buffed... don't sit there adding up everything every turn

HunterOfJello
2010-10-14, 02:06 PM
27. Pay attention to the battle and what's going on with each character.

28. Don't even think about texting or using your phone in any way while the game is on.

29. DMs can get sidetracked too. If yours is, then start doing stuff in-game to get their attention.

Drakevarg
2010-10-14, 02:06 PM
30. It is generally considered in poor taste to break out the Magic cards any time the camera isn't focused on you. :smallannoyed:

ScionoftheVoid
2010-10-14, 02:43 PM
31. If you plan on using a spell or ability for which you have not memorised the rules get the appropriate book and read through before your turn, if you can still pay attention to other player's actions whilst doing so it is much appreciated.

32. If you are bored inform the DM and make sure you say why. No one wants their time wasted doing something boring, the fewer times it happens the better.

Drenn
2010-10-14, 02:57 PM
33. At least pretend to have an interest in the plot.

34. Tell the GM what you enjoyed about a game, not just hated. That way, the GM feels good and odds are, that thing you enjoyed will happen again some time.

MightyTim
2010-10-14, 04:23 PM
35. Don't argue with the DM. State your case succinctly, but if you are still denied a favorable ruling, accept it and move on.

36. Never make the DM repeat himself, especially when he's giving a big speech as the BBEG, or divulging important plot information. The words "I'm sorry. Say that again. I wasn't paying attention." makes DMs angry. An angry DM is an evil DM.

dsmiles
2010-10-14, 06:09 PM
36. Never make the DM repeat himself, especially when he's giving a big speech as the BBEG, or divulging important plot information. The words "I'm sorry. Say that again. I wasn't paying attention." makes DMs angry. An angry DM is an evil DM.

36a. An evil DM can quickly turn into an EVIL DM.

37. If the DM gives you plot armor, accept it gracefully. Don't wave it in the other players faces.

38. What the DM giveth, the DM can (and probably will) taketh away.

Ranger Mattos
2010-10-14, 06:27 PM
39. Don't quote Monty Python (at least in my experience)

DeathsHands
2010-10-14, 06:33 PM
38. What the DM giveth, the DM can (and probably will) taketh away.

38a. Do not question what the DM giveth; he may giveth an explosive small print as well.

dsmiles
2010-10-14, 06:41 PM
39. Don't quote Monty Python (at least in my experience)

39a. Feel free to quote lesser known funny movies/shows/books though. Some of us may not have heard it yet.

DaragosKitsune
2010-10-14, 07:27 PM
40. Don't get mad if your DM says any semi-polite variation of the phrase: "I'm sorry, you can't do that." or "It doesn't work that way."
41. RAW only applies when the DM says it does.
41a. If the DM says nothing to the contrary, assume RAW.
42.The DMPC is probably there for a reason.
43. A bored DM quickly looks for ways to amuse himself. Your characters are the nearest toys.

Lady Moreta
2010-10-14, 11:02 PM
44. If the DM does something to mess up what you did/planned to do, don't swear at them and don't call them names. Come up with a new idea instead.

dsmiles
2010-10-15, 05:03 AM
41a. If the DM says nothing to the contrary, assume RAW.

I feel inclined to disagree, simply due to the brokenness of RAW. If the DM doesn't say, "No Pun-Pun," then I should assume that I can go ahead and play it? Pun-Pun is all RAW. (I dislike using Pun-Pun as an example, but it's the most obvious one.)

Myth
2010-10-15, 07:43 AM
43. A bored DM quickly looks for ways to amuse himself. Your characters are the nearest toys.

So much win :smallbiggrin:

45: Roleplay, don't sit like an idiot waiting for combat rounds only, or waiting for the DM to drag you by the hair towards some place where something will happen.

46: As about things the NPCs find strange or fascinating, it's usually something interesting for your characters as well.

47: Killing NPCs is fun for you.

48: Sending avengers after your party is fun for the DM

Duke of URL
2010-10-15, 07:54 AM
I feel inclined to disagree, simply due to the brokenness of RAW. If the DM doesn't say, "No Pun-Pun," then I should assume that I can go ahead and play it? Pun-Pun is all RAW. (I dislike using Pun-Pun as an example, but it's the most obvious one.)

I think if the rest of the guidelines are adhered to, Pun-Pun won't occur anyway. Which leads to:

49. Don't try to "break the game" unless the GM specifically tells you to try.

50. If you ignore #49, expect to see your own tricks (and more!) returned to you. GMs can read the CharOp boards too, you know.

dsmiles
2010-10-15, 07:57 AM
I think if the rest of the guidelines are adhered to, Pun-Pun won't occur anyway. Which leads to:

49. Don't try to "break the game" unless the GM specifically tells you to try.

50. If you ignore #49, expect to see your own tricks (and more!) returned to you. GMs can read the CharOp boards too, you know.

On that note:

51. Chek the optimization level of the group before you make a character. A High optimization character in a low optimization group isn't fun for anybody. The opposite is also true.

Allanimal
2010-10-15, 08:02 AM
52. Keep your DM's coffee cup (or other beverage of choice container) full. This is rule #1 at our table.

Cheesy74
2010-10-15, 02:04 PM
53. If your DM approves a character that uses a rule system (s)he's unfamiliar with (incarnum, binding, etc), don't expect them to trust everything you do with it. Bring spreadsheets and detailed descriptions (not just the relevant rulebook) so they know what your character can and can't do.

dsmiles
2010-10-16, 07:53 AM
53. If your DM approves a character that uses a rule system (s)he's unfamiliar with (incarnum, binding, etc), don't expect them to trust everything you do with it. Bring spreadsheets and detailed descriptions (not just the relevant rulebook) so they know what your character can and can't do.

...and on this note:

54. Allow your DM a chance to read any sourcebooks you want to use before the game starts. Don't spring them on him/her in the middle of the game.

Aotrs Commander
2010-10-16, 08:38 AM
...and on this note:

54. Allow your DM a chance to read any sourcebooks you want to use before the game starts. Don't spring them on him/her in the middle of the game.

And further:

55: If the DM, for whatever reason, is disinclined to allow you something (such as subsystem or prestidge class or item or some such), because he a) doesn't own the material, b) doesn't wish to learn (or use) a new subsystem, c) doesn't fit in his world's tone and flavour or d) doesn't want to deal with the added rules complexity to compensate in his end, accept that with good grace. Not all DMs have the time or inclination to big deep into every book.

55a: In the case of c) alone, you might politely ask for a reflavouring suited to the world, but the others are all fair reasons for him to say no.

(Note: I tend not to be one of those DMs, (except for point c), personally.)

Quincunx
2010-10-16, 08:38 AM
56. If you can't make it to a particular gaming session, call ahead and let the DM know ASAP.
57. If you develop other commitments and can't come at all, let the DM know that too and put your character into limbo/go out with a bang/et cetera. You do have the right to not tell the DM why, but it's appreciated if you do.

big teej
2010-10-16, 05:31 PM
56. If you can't make it to a particular gaming session, call ahead and let the DM know ASAP.
57. If you develop other commitments and can't come at all, let the DM know that too and put your character into limbo/go out with a bang/et cetera. You do have the right to not tell the DM why, but it's appreciated if you do.

amen to that. I hate finding out the day of or day before a session that 2/3s of the group can't make it :smallfurious:

blackjack217
2010-10-16, 05:43 PM
58. Do not be mr welch

Kris Strife
2010-10-16, 07:10 PM
59. Insert a brain probe that connects to their happiness centers. :smallbiggrin:

DeathsHands
2010-10-16, 07:24 PM
60. If you have a sketchy character concept, have a good backstory/excuse/etc. in mind so the GM doesn't have to sit there and wonder what you're on about for ten minutes before enacting RZ.

TaliaJacta
2010-10-17, 06:55 PM
61. Know your GM's style. The GM who is a professional actor and loves improv won't mind if you decide to run away from the plot and do things he wasn't expecting. The GM who plans out all encounters weeks in advance and clearly doesn't map beyond where he expects the characters to go WILL probably mind.

62. While snacks are good, don't leave soda cans and potato chip crumbs everywhere.

cZak
2010-10-17, 07:07 PM
Might be stating the obvious here, but I like to think that gaming sessions are a cooperative effort on the part of players & Dm's

Short/ long term, are your actions contributing to the overall enjoyment of all members participating?

DragonBaneDM
2010-10-18, 01:56 AM
63. Don't lie about die rolls. You're sitting 7 feet away, yes, and we can't clearly see what you rolled, true, but abusing that is just plain jerkerry.