PDA

View Full Version : (4e) A Sigil Background

DragonBaneDM
2010-10-14, 11:42 AM
In an upcoming campaign I'll be playing a character from Sigil from time to time.

Is there a Sigil background I may have missed in the DMG2?

If not, do any pop to mind when you look through the older ones?

And finally, if we want to have some fun in here, how would you make your own Sigil background? I have some major sway in this campaign, it's a group storytelling type thing, so some light homebrew is actually strongly encouraged.

TricksyAndFalse
2010-10-14, 12:04 PM
The Geography: Urban background from PH2 seems fitting, since the cage is all city.

If I made my own, I'd probably give each ward it's own background. The Lower Ward would probably have Infernal and Abyssal as associated languages, The Hive would have Streetwise as an associated skill, etc.

Aron Times
2010-10-14, 12:08 PM
Do you need help with fluff or crunch?

Judging by how you worded your post, it looks like you're looking for background benefits. I would suggest that your character get the following background benefits:

1. +2 to one skill or one skill becomes a class skill.
2. Language: Planar Cant

A Sigil background is simply too broad to be restricted to one or two skills.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-10-14, 12:26 PM
I'd say check out some of the Sharn backgrounds from Eberron for inspiration. Generally, I stick with the "two skills, pick one and either get +2 to rolls or make it a Class skill" approach since that keeps things equal while providing interesting choices.

Although, if you want languages to be important, tagging each Ward with a different dialect might be fun as well.

Aron Times
2010-10-14, 01:09 PM
Gentlemen.

http://www.mimir.net/cant/cant2.html

DragonBaneDM
2010-10-14, 02:48 PM
That's cool! I dunno if Planar Cant carried over into 4e, but homebrewing, er, home-stealing-from-that-site won't hurt.

mobdrazhar
2010-10-14, 03:39 PM
i believe there is a background "Child of another world" whis is you come from another plane but can't remember which book it's from

DragonBaneDM
2010-10-14, 04:19 PM
I've been reading through the Cant and I freaking love it.

Thanks so much!