PDA

View Full Version : Yggdrasil and Nidhogg

prufock
2010-10-14, 12:14 PM
Does anyone know what book/source has D&D-related information about the World Ash (Yggdrasil) and the dragon that lives at its base in Hades (Nidhogg)? I've tried Google, but either it isn't a common question or I'm not using the correct search terms.

Any edition of D&D is fine. I'm mostly looking for the dragon's type and age category.

Zeta Kai
2010-10-14, 12:47 PM
Well, I made a monster called a Nidhogg (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4893988#post4893988) for 3.X (actually for my Final Fantasy X D20 project, which uses a slightly-modified ruleset), but I think that you'd be disappointed with it. It was based on the FFX monster called Nidhogg, which isn't very much like the original mythological Nidhogg. This one is a CR7 walking lizard. I hope that this is some help to you.

hamlet
2010-10-14, 12:54 PM
Some of the Planescape stuff dealt with Ygdrassil, though I'm hard pressed to remember what products.

They never statted the dragon as, essentially, it wasn't a being so much as a universal concept.

Worlok
2010-10-14, 12:55 PM
According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_Waste), Yggdrasil is located on Niflheim, second layer of the Gray Waste of Hades. The 'References'-section points towards the Manual of the Planes, both the 1987 and the 2001 version, for further reading. Perhaps that may be it?

JonestheSpy
2010-10-14, 12:56 PM
you're going to have to wing that one.

Age category should be easy - old as frickin creation.

hamlet
2010-10-14, 12:59 PM
you're going to have to wing that one.

Age category should be easy - old as frickin creation.

Personally, if forced to, I would stat Nidhogg as either 1) "You Lose" or 2) a deity or deity level entity.

prufock
2010-10-14, 01:07 PM
Cool, thanks everyone.

Abies
2010-10-14, 01:09 PM
Deities & Demigods (3.0) has specific information on Asgardian gods and Mythos. I'm pretty sure there is noting concrete about Nidhogg as relates to a stat block, though there might be since I seem to remember a specific entry for Fenrir and he'd be as unlikely a foe to fight/win against.

FMArthur
2010-10-14, 01:21 PM
Someone statted up Yggdrasil on a D20 NPC wiki.

http://d20npcs.wikia.com/wiki/Yggdrasil,_Elder_Timber_Dragon

I don't know how useful this can be to you (or how useful any stats for a giant tree will be), but it's there.

Notreallyhere77
2010-10-14, 01:33 PM
{Scrubbed}

Morph Bark
2010-10-14, 01:40 PM
According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_Waste), Yggdrasil is located on Niflheim, second layer of the Gray Waste of Hades. The 'References'-section points towards the Manual of the Planes, both the 1987 and the 2001 version, for further reading. Perhaps that may be it?

Blasphemous!

...as in, I love Norse mythology and just have it as a plane-connecting super-tree that is also the Plane of Wood at the same time.

Worlok
2010-10-14, 02:43 PM

Blasphemous!

...as in, I love Norse mythology and just have it as a plane-connecting super-tree that is also the Plane of Wood at the same time.

Well, I'm not exactly opposed to Norse mythology, myself. So I certainly didn't intend blasphemy. :smalleek:

But in my (theirs? As in, Wikipedia's?) defense, the article says that Yggdrasil merely has its roots there (which I should have pointed out), so perhaps it still is a plane-collecting super-tree? Sadly, I do not have the Manual on hand.

The 'Plane of Wood' thing is a nice touch, though. (All 'I got wood from Norse mythology' as a t-shirt print, Ratatosk all running the Planar Travel Tourism 'Board'... :smalltongue:) Really, I might just think about stealing that one. And really, no offense meant (Although those puns may deserve a smiting.) :smallwink:

Zaydos
2010-10-14, 02:46 PM
Well, I'm not exactly opposed to Norse mythology, myself. So I certainly didn't intend blasphemy. :smalleek:

But in my (theirs? As in, Wikipedia's?) defense, the article says that Yggdrasil merely has its roots there (which I should have pointed out), so perhaps it still is a plane-collecting super-tree? Sadly, I do not have the Manual on hand.

The 'Plane of Wood' thing is a nice touch, though. (All 'I got wood from Norse mythology' as a t-shirt print, Ratatosk all running the Planar Travel Tourism 'Board'... :smalltongue:) Really, I might just think about stealing that one. And really, no offense meant (Although those puns may deserve a smiting.) :smallwink:

It is still a plane-collecting super tree, which has some of its roots in the Gray Wastes, some are even in Prime Materials as well.

Worlok
2010-10-14, 02:49 PM
Ah, alright. Then that's cleared up, after all. Thanks.

Morph Bark
2010-10-14, 02:50 PM

It is still a plane-collecting super tree, which has some of its roots in the Gray Wastes, some are even in Prime Materials as well.

...I now have ideas for a new god. :smallamused:

And sure, go ahead and snag that for use sometime!

Mordokai
2010-10-14, 03:09 PM
Wasn't there one of those you needed to defeat in Savage Tide to prove your worth to the Court of Stars? My memory is a little shabby on the details and I don't have my pdf's here, but I'm sure there's something along those lines in there.

Eldan
2010-10-14, 03:30 PM
Yggdrasil, according to Planescape, grows to most planes where the North gods are worshipped, and a few others. it's trunk is mostly in the Outlands and Ysgard, it's roots mostly in Niflheim, but some of it also grows to Pandemonium (Loki's realm of giants) and a lot of prime planes. Travelling along the roots and branches can bring one to other planes.

Worlok
2010-10-14, 03:49 PM
...I now have ideas for a new god. :smallamused:

And I am now curious as to what that might be... :smallwink:

Thanks for use permission, by the way. (Sorry. I sort of forgot yesterday.)