PDA

View Full Version : Building a gestalt spirit shaman//binder

Tukka
2010-10-14, 01:33 PM
Tonight I may be joining a campaign. The setting is relatively low-magic and primitive. Arcane magic is rare and magic item accessibility is not great. I've been itching to play a spirit shaman for a while, and flavor-wise, this seems to be the perfect campaign for it.

Binder also intrigues me and I think would make an interesting mix with the spirit shaman, but I am open to other suggestions as well. I was contemplating crusader, hexblade and bard (an arcane spellcaster who is not a full caster is probably acceptable -- bards were explicitly mentioned as being allowed).

Current party composition:

Scout/cloistered cleric (healer/buffer, ranged combatant)
Catfolk druid/monk (focused on offensive spells, backup healer)
Human barbarian/fighter/warshaper/bear warrior (tank)
Ninja/scout (melee DPS -- this player is has been absent a few weeks now)
Monk/fighter (tentative -- this is another new player)

Everybody is level 9/10, except myself and the other new player, who will be starting at level 8.

I haven't yet selected a race. I am leaning towards human for the simplicity, considering how little time I have to create this character. The DM suggested a core race or a variant thereof, though he may be open to more exotic races (obviously the catfolk made the cut). The main reason he cited for not being a weird race is that the villagers are wary and may attack something monstrous-looking on sight -- but with Naberious or other effective methods of disguise, this can be mitigated.

The DM is using a 1:1 point buy system (72 points to be spread around as desired, not including level-up ability score boosts, with no ability score to start below 6 after the racial adjustments).

As far as wealth goes, I'm not sure exactly what I'll get to start with or what magic item availability will be like -- the DM said not to avoid characters that depend on specialized magic items, but I'm awaiting further elaboration.

I'm shooting for a non-cheesy but decently optimized character who can effectively fill a role or two in the party -- maybe party face, supplemental DPS, and/or quasi-arcanist.

Any suggestions as to what feats to build, or what spell/skill/vestige combos might be good to build around would be welcome. Ability score distribution suggestions are also welcome. I am thinking Cha > Wis (min 15) > Con > Dex > Str > Int.

Thanks, all help is appreciated.

Psyren
2010-10-14, 04:42 PM
It's low-magic AND gestalt? :smallconfused:

Anyhow, have you checked the handbooks for ideas?
Binder Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=137.0)
Spirit Shaman Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19865442/The_Spirit_Shaman_Handbook)

Check those out and return with any questions you have.