PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Burrowing Questions

Dralnu
2010-10-14, 02:08 PM
I'm trying to look up information regarding burrowing movement mode, but all I can find on the SRD is this:

Burrow

A creature with a burrow speed can tunnel through dirt, but not through rock unless the descriptive text says otherwise. Creatures cannot charge or run while burrowing. Most burrowing creatures do not leave behind tunnels other creatures can use (either because the material they tunnel through fills in behind them or because they do not actually dislocate any material when burrowing); see the individual creature descriptions for details.

Is there more information somewhere? I have so many questions about it. Is breathing an issue when burrowing? How do you know what direction you're going? Does it provoke an attack of opprotunity? Can you hear things going on aboveground while burrowed? If you get the Mineral Warrior template, can Gnomes suddenly talk to you? Is it a "burrow" language or what?

Diarmuid
2010-10-14, 02:30 PM
Is breathing an issue when burrowing? - No Idea

Does it provoke an attack of opprotunity? - It's movement, it provokes like any other form of movement

Can you hear things going on aboveground while burrowed? - You do not automatically get Blindsense. See the Listen skill for modifiers.

If you get the Mineral Warrior template, can Gnomes suddenly talk to you? - Gnomes gain Speak with Animals with the restriction that it only works with burrowing mammals. Unless you have the animal subtype, the gnome gains no additional ability to communicate with you that it did not already have.

Dralnu
2010-10-18, 06:11 PM
Thank you for the information! It was quite helpful.

I still have a few unresolved questions however. I'm wondering if anyone else could point me to those answers:

- How does the creature navigate underground? Can it know directions like North and can it know its location?

- I checked the Listen skill modifiers and the closest thing was +15 DC for listening through a stone door. How would you do listening through 10ft. of earth, for example?

Greenish
2010-10-18, 06:25 PM
- How does the creature navigate underground? Can it know directions like North and can it know its location?Anyone with 5+ ranks in Survival always knows the direction of North. Burrowing speed on it's own doesn't grant any means for navigation, so without Tremorsense or the like, you only know how far you've moved. : Dwarven Stonecunning allows on to know how deep you are when underground (as easily as humans detect which direction is up and which down). Humans automatically know which direction is up and which is down.

- I checked the Listen skill modifiers and the closest thing was +15 DC for listening through a stone door. How would you do listening through 10ft. of earth, for example?The +15 DC in Listen skill description is for a stone wall. Typical thickness for a stone wall is 3'. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/dungeons.htm) Rounded out, it seems stone has +15 DC per 5', and I don't see a reason to assume softer earth would make it easier (if anything, the opposite). However, I'm not aware of actual rules for this.